What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Are you going to give us the source of your "knowledge" or not? You know...so I can learn about things and talk about them (*snicker*)

Google "acid alkaline food list" or something similar, and you'll get at least a hundred different sources quoting the exact same information I supplied.

I'm going to bow out of this discussion now, because I've said what I wanted to say. Try it or don't; it's no skin off my nose! (:-)

Ummm... I think you're enjoying this :wink:
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Here's an explanation of the alkaline diet theory as it relates to colds. I don't have any opinion on whether the 'science' behind this theory is sound or not... all I know is I've stopped having colds since I started drinking cider vinegar daily, ten years ago!

"Our blood is slightly alkaline, with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45. The belief behind the alkaline diet is that our diet should reflect this pH level (as it did in the past) and be slightly alkaline. Proponents of alkaline diets believe that a diet high in acid-producing foods disrupts this balance and promotes the loss of essential minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium, as the body tries to restore equilibrium. This imbalance is thought to make people prone to illness.

Why Do People Try the Alkaline Diet?

According to some alternative practitioners, the shift to an acid-producing diet is linked to a number of chronic illnesses and symptoms.

Lack of energy
    Excessive mucous production
    Nasal congestion
    Frequent colds and flu
    Anxiety, nervousness, irritability
    Ovarian cysts, polycystic ovaries, benign breast cysts
    Headache

Although conventional medical doctors generally agree that a plant-based diet with an abundance of fruit and vegetables and minimal salt and refined grains is beneficial to health, conventional doctors do not believe that an acid-producing diet is the foundation of chronic illness. In conventional medicine, there is evidence, however, that some of the foods allowed on the alkaline diet may improve overall health."

Full article here: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/alkalinediet.htm

Another reputable source.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Please explain how the ph balance of your food survives the acid in your stomach and that what passes through your stomach then survives the secretions from your pancreas as being anything but neutral?
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    ^that^ and it is supposed to taste RANK

Well, I wouldn't say that. It's actually quite good...as a vinegar.

You know, to use in salad dressings, marinades, and light quick pickles?

I wouldn't drink it. Not straight anyway...I work a bit at a history museum and we have lots of old recipes for vinegar punch that I'm curious to try. A bit like lemonade (that's US lemonade, not the fizzy beverage they call "lemonade" in the UK) in a time when lemons were hard to come by.

I make drinking shrubs which is basically a fruit simple syrup mixed with apple cider vinegar. I drink them because I like how it tastes. I love how tangy it is, and when I put a tablespoon or so in my big water bottle I drink twice as much. I really have to make myself drink water so this works for me.

My recipe is combine 2 cups of fruit (I used frozen cranberries this time), 2 cups of sugar, 2 cups of apple cider vinegar. Mash the cranberries a little (you don't have to mash fruit with soft skins like peaches or strawberries, those you just kind of stir up) and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days. Then drain off all the liquid and scrape in the sugar at the bottom. I keep mine in a mason jar and any undissolved sugar then dissolves pretty quickly.

I just add a little to my water, seltzer or white wine. It also would work well in some cocktails I bet. I doubt there are many health benefits other than me meeting my water goals. It came about originally as a way to preserve fruit. It's super tangy and delicious or at least I think it is. My daughter calls it "yucky juice."
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've read that a tablespoon in a glass of water in the morning and night, everyday, helps the liver
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Here's an explanation of the alkaline diet theory as it relates to colds. I don't have any opinion on whether the 'science' behind this theory is sound or not... all I know is I've stopped having colds since I started drinking cider vinegar daily, ten years ago!

"Our blood is slightly alkaline, with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45. The belief behind the alkaline diet is that our diet should reflect this pH level (as it did in the past) and be slightly alkaline. Proponents of alkaline diets believe that a diet high in acid-producing foods disrupts this balance and promotes the loss of essential minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium, as the body tries to restore equilibrium. This imbalance is thought to make people prone to illness.

Why Do People Try the Alkaline Diet?

According to some alternative practitioners, the shift to an acid-producing diet is linked to a number of chronic illnesses and symptoms.

Lack of energy
    Excessive mucous production
    Nasal congestion
    Frequent colds and flu
    Anxiety, nervousness, irritability
    Ovarian cysts, polycystic ovaries, benign breast cysts
    Headache

Although conventional medical doctors generally agree that a plant-based diet with an abundance of fruit and vegetables and minimal salt and refined grains is beneficial to health, conventional doctors do not believe that an acid-producing diet is the foundation of chronic illness. In conventional medicine, there is evidence, however, that some of the foods allowed on the alkaline diet may improve overall health."

Full article here: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/alkalinediet.htm

Another reputable source.

At least this one was sourced...we're making progress.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    I've read that a tablespoon in a glass of water in the morning and night, everyday, helps the liver

How does it survive the stomach to "help" the liver? Why does the liver need help?

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

I've read that Elvis is alive, the moon landing was a hoax, and aliens built the pyramids.

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about chem trails.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    2ahp0nqg70lf.gif
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

Nope. Not possible. This was discussed about the alkaline water and someone put a link up to a website basically saying this wasn't possible.

Also, alkaline water is not what we're discussing here – we're talking about water with vinegar in it.

And vinegar has magical powers that defy science.

• juggernaut1974
    Options

I've read that Elvis is alive, the moon landing was a hoax, and aliens built the pyramids.

8001016_orig.jpg
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is the only thing I've found about vinegar having any health benefit at all*:
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/1/281.long
    Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes

Contrast that to the damage done to your tooth enamel (which does not grow back) by the frequent washing in acid, and it's not worth the exchange. Incidentally, this is why if you drink soda/pop you should use a straw - get it to the back of your mouth, away from your teeth.

Here's where you can learn more about nutrition:
    http://www.nutrition.gov/

And here's a good place to research health claims, before experimenting on yourself:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive.
    Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense
    Gabe Mirkin, M.D.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

If you "alkalinize" your body to the point where viri can't survive, neither can the rest of your cells.
    Also, there's no way an acid (vinegar) can cause anything to be more alkaline (basic). Well, possibly you could count diluting the much stronger acid in your stomach to be making it more alkaline, but that's really stretching the definition, and a couple T of vinegar aren't going to have much of an effect against the amount of acid in your stomach.

* ETA: OK, I did some more general searches and there are some other possibilities
    Chrysalid wrote:
    I already posted the link to the only scientific study that's been done
    Hmmm...
    This came up with 2 results
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=apple+cider+vinegar+and+weight+loss

This came up with 5
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=apple+cider+vinegar+and+weight

And this has 42, but not all relate to humans or weight
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=apple+cider+vinegar
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    uttg1sqnooil.gif
    DaneanP wrote: »
    It's great and there are all kinds of health benefits. I drink a vinegar cocktail made of 1tbsp vinegar in a tall glass of cold water AM and PM (or I skip the PM cocktail if I'm having a salad for dinner as I'll use 2-3tbsp of vinegar on the salad instead). I started doing this ten years ago and haven't had a single cold since. It's also a great palate cleanser and I quickly got used to the taste.

LOL no

EVEN IF there was a shred of truth to this...how in the world do you think you're making your body more alkaline by drinking a strong acid??

Here's an alkaline 101 primer for you: "Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Now why don't you limit yourself to comments on subjects you actually know something about?

Source?

Looks like a website called Essence-of-Life.com

You can also find it touted on "Red Spirit Healing Energy," a group that offers energy healing and medium services. They will also, for a fee, eliminate ghosts from your house.

I need an ant-acid :smiley:

anti-acid.....
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Also, there's no way an acid (vinegar) can cause anything to be more alkaline (basic). Well, possibly you could count diluting the much stronger acid in your stomach to be making it more alkaline, but that's really stretching the definition, and a couple T of vinegar aren't going to have much of an effect against the amount of acid in your stomach.

"Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Do I hear an echo in here?

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the appetite suppressant, but I have used it to treat my acid reflux and remove skin tags. It's pretty good in a vinaigrette too.

Boy, hard to keep up with this thread. Sorry to backtrack, but skin tags? What do you do and does it hurt?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    unhgoose wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    ^that^ and it is supposed to taste RANK

Well, I wouldn't say that. It's actually quite good...as a vinegar.

You know, to use in salad dressings, marinades, and light quick pickles?

I wouldn't drink it. Not straight anyway...I work a bit at a history museum and we have lots of old recipes for vinegar punch that I'm curious to try. A bit like lemonade (that's US lemonade, not the fizzy beverage they call "lemonade" in the UK) in a time when lemons were hard to come by.

I make drinking shrubs which is basically a fruit simple syrup mixed with apple cider vinegar. I drink them because I like how it tastes. I love how tangy it is, and when I put a tablespoon or so in my big water bottle I drink twice as much. I really have to make myself drink water so this works for me.

My recipe is combine 2 cups of fruit (I used frozen cranberries this time), 2 cups of sugar, 2 cups of apple cider vinegar. Mash the cranberries a little (you don't have to mash fruit with soft skins like peaches or strawberries, those you just kind of stir up) and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days. Then drain off all the liquid and scrape in the sugar at the bottom. I keep mine in a mason jar and any undissolved sugar then dissolves pretty quickly.

I just add a little to my water, seltzer or white wine. It also would work well in some cocktails I bet. I doubt there are many health benefits other than me meeting my water goals. It came about originally as a way to preserve fruit. It's super tangy and delicious or at least I think it is. My daughter calls it "yucky juice."

That does sound tasty to me. I like tart drinks, I love to mix pure unsweetened lemon juice or cranberry juice in my seltzer. I may try with some vinegar and fruit. (I'm just weird enough to try without sugar, even...like maybe with some berries heated in vinegar with herbs...like a gastrique, almost, but strained into juice to mix in fizzy water....hmmmmm....)
  • juggernaut1974
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also, there's no way an acid (vinegar) can cause anything to be more alkaline (basic).

She skooled us earlier in the thread about how that magic happens. I feel so much more edukated now.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

"Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Still no source I see
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options

Oh dear. You have left yourself wide open here...
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options