What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

I am eating a salad dressed with the stuff as we speak.

I AM IMMORTAL NOW.

Science is awesome!
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I actually LOVE vinegar and crave the stuff sometimes very severely. When I go through these cravings I can drink pickle juice straight up, put vinegar and mustard on everything. Apple cider vinegar is delicious, slight sweet taste and is good in lemonade and tea!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote:
    Well good, it looks like we finally got lesson one: "cite your sources" mastered.
    Lesson two: "Vetting your sources" to commence shortly.
    me wrote:
    LOL! This one is going to be harder.
    When someone thinks that a woo site is validation of their statements, you've got a lot of education to do.
    Here's a decent start on the topic:
    http://journalism.about.com/od/reporting/a/Eight-Ways-To-Tell-If-A-Website-Is-Reliable.htm

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/judging-quality-science-sources/

http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/04/02/a-rough-guide-to-spotting-bad-science/

This is an interesting site. Click to dismiss the registration/logon box that will pop up.
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/
    Hover over a bubble to see what it's good for, or supposed to be good for, click on the bubble to see the evidence.
    It doesn't list 'vinegar' or 'apple cider vinegar', but it shows which supplements have been proven useful for various conditions, and how strong the evidence is.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I found a couple of interesting articles about this that might explain the magic of cider vinegar:

1. The pH Connection – Colds & Flu

Do you catch colds and flu frequently? Are you susceptible to canker sores, sensitive teeth and sore throat? Are you mentally tired after an hour of desk work?

tumblr_lmeaiyhEos1qbgyx2o1_500.gif
  • erryereri
    erryereri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd drink apple cider vinegar as it wouldn't have any weight loss benefits, and I find most of the health benefits dubious at best.

However, apple cider vinegar is great for baking vegan goodies, if you mix it with soymilk it replaces eggs and milk perfectly. I'm no longer a strict vegan, but I still bake my vegan deserts because they're much more rich and moist.

It's also supposed to be good to wash your hair in, and apparently good for your skin.

Drinking it may possibly have some other mild health benefits, but I don't believe any of the claims that it prevents you from getting sick.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I actually LOVE vinegar and crave the stuff sometimes very severely. When I go through these cravings I can drink pickle juice straight up, put vinegar and mustard on everything. Apple cider vinegar is delicious, slight sweet taste and is good in lemonade and tea!

OMG, I do, too. And, seriously, my normal everyday sour cravings went berserk when I was pregnant...I ate banana peppers, pickles, even licked straight up citric acid off my finger...until I got awful sores in my mouth. But, I still craved it.

Mmmmmm. Sour stuff.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We've got a former Canadian Cabinet Minister who believes in alien Greys. He gets trotted out whenever Woo wants to to be legitimized.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

OMG, I do, too. And, seriously, my normal everyday sour cravings went berserk when I was pregnant...I ate banana peppers, pickles, even licked straight up citric acid off my finger...until I got awful sores in my mouth. But, I still craved it.

Mmmmmm. Sour stuff.

This post really made me want some Trolli Brite Crawlers.

I craved those when I was pregnant.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Mmmmmm. Sour stuff.

I was pregnant with my youngest when sour skittles came out.

It wasn't pretty what I did to those. I still remember, I was at the first Spongebob movie in the theater (yes, I had kids already, why do you ask?) and ate a whole pound bag of the things. Then I went home and ate a jar of banana peppers straight from the jar.

Didn't care about sweets, whatever. But sour stuff? GIMME.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love acv on my salad!
    It has helped me with heartburn issues!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Mmmmmm. Sour stuff.

I was pregnant with my youngest when sour skittles came out.

It wasn't pretty what I did to those. I still remember, I was at the first Spongebob movie in the theater (yes, I had kids already, why do you ask?) and ate a whole pound bag of the things. Then I went home and ate a jar of banana peppers straight from the jar.

Didn't care about sweets, whatever. But sour stuff? GIMME.

Omg, sour skittles....yassss!

I loved the banana pepper rings, and oh man, I could inhale a jar of manzanilla olives.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    We've got a former Canadian Cabinet Minister who believes in alien Greys. He gets trotted out whenever Woo wants to to be legitimized.

You know, this is a really good illustration of what I love about Canadian politics. Key words are "a" (as in singular) and "former." Texas has science deniers (plural) *chairing* congressional committees relating to ... science. It's just absurd. This week, for example, the lege approved handgun carry for college students. What possibly could go wrong with that? As if we don't have real problems to work on?? Love Canada. Worked there 4 years. Learned so much.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Mmmmmm. Sour stuff.

I am a banana pepper enthusiast. Just reading this made my mouth water. I don't know what it is with me and vinegar/sour stuff. I can eat a bunch of Warheads until I get sores in my mouth and be very sad that I can't have more.

It looks like I have to prepared to get pregnant :P I am curious what kind of cravings I will have, if any. All my mother said she craved was chocolate milkshakes/chocolate cookies.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Never tried it for appetite suppression but I love to make salad dressings with apple juice, honey, and oil. It also works great in face masks and as a hair rinse, and face toner.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

.....Snookie? Is that you?
  • VeronicaByrd
    Options
    I too prefer having apple cider vinegar in meals.Scientifically it is gud to have it.Because it will help in protiens digestion and fats breakdown. Therefore it will keep the body's metabolism active even when we are at rest
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh my.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I too prefer having apple cider vinegar in meals.Scientifically it is gud to have it.Because it will help in protiens digestion and fats breakdown. Therefore it will keep the body's metabolism active even when we are at rest

Meanwhile, on the far side of the Woobecon...

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Yep, enjoy your next cold, y'all! And I will continue to enjoy my apple cider vinegar.

Well that's a bit unnecessary. Not only did I thank you for a wonderful afternoon I also wished you a Happy Easter and that is what I get in return? Jeebus died for you on this day and you wish ill health on everyone, that's hardly in the spirit of the day.

But the reason I have returned is because it occurred to me that scientists have tried to cure the common cold for decades and you are claiming to have such a cure! So what I suggest you do (quickly) is gather say, 1000 people of all age, race, shape and size and have them take your suggested daily amount for ... 10 years? If not one single person has a cold you could be a MILLIONAIRE!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

You know, this is a really good illustration of what I love about Canadian politics. Key words are "a" (as in singular) and "former." Texas has science deniers (plural) *chairing* congressional committees relating to ... science. It's just absurd. This week, for example, the lege approved handgun carry for college students. What possibly could go wrong with that? As if we don't have real problems to work on?? Love Canada. Worked there 4 years. Learned so much.

so canadian politics > texas politics because belief in grey aliens???