What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    A.... real life medical doctor.... said something about .... a "lazy liver".... not "working properly"... and vinegar fixing it.

An MD.

Not a naturopath?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it. It'll play "Up a Lazy Liver"

That sounds like a nice song!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    UGH, I just threw up in my mouth.
  • pballdonna
    pballdonna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Re vinegar "with the mother". Took 2 tablespoons in morning before eating. Again last thing before bed. For two weeks.

Haven't had any heartburn since.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yeah, 'cause we love playground bullies here. Let's all join in and mock someone for making a typo! That's really constructive.

It is more constructive than telling people apple cider vinegar will end the HIV epidemic.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Yeah, 'cause we love playground bullies here. Let's all join in and mock someone for making a typo! That's really constructive.

It is more constructive than telling people apple cider vinegar will end the HIV epidemic.

Where did anyone say that, exactly?

Exaggerate much?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

Nope. Not possible. This was discussed about the alkaline water and someone put a link up to a website basically saying this wasn't possible.

Yes, and I could find you a dozen conflicting (and equally reputable) websites that will say it does work. The truth is there is no irrefutable medical evidence about it (there is a paper summing up what is known here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/ which basically states that more research is needed).

All I know is that I haven't had a cold for the past ten years, so you can put that down to coincidence if you like but I think it's more likely to be the vinegar. (:-)

You apparently missed this line too:

" A low-carbohydrate high-protein diet with its increased acid load results in very little change in blood chemistry, and pH, but results in many changes in urinary chemistry."

So if you change the acidity/alkalinity of your diet, it does nothing to change your blood chemistry, you just pee out the extra.

You read it too?
    That has to be one of the worst research articles I've seen in years.
    An environmental journal publishing a review on a dietary trend? Wtf.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I think that Bragg's apple cider vinegar is supposed to help the digestive system. I believe in fermented foods helping the gut. The acid in the vinegar is mild and since the pH in the stomach is low (acidic), it will not counter-act the pH. So many people who have GERD and are looking for other choices rather than having to take a protonix or H2 antagonist. I have never had a problem with GERD myself..so can't comment on whether it works or not. I'll get people back in the day thought willow bark (aspirin) was a crazy health trend. As far as helping with weight loss---not in any huge significant way, imho. Unless drinking a tall glass with a little vinegar helps to fill the stomach for a short time.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Apple cidar is actually pretty good at getting rid of warts. I have personally tried it twice, with excellent results both times (one on finger and the other on my toe). You basically soak a cotton ball with ACV and apply it to the wart, and bandage it on (still wet) with a bandaid, and keep the bandaid on 24/7. You repeat until wart center turns black (it will be white from soaking in ACV, but if you take the bandaid off for an hour, you can see if it turned black or not). Few days later it will fall off.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Omg. This thread. "Edgar Cayce" why not Mesmer?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »
    runmama411 wrote: »
    I just like reading all of the comments. I thought MFP was supposed to be uplifting to one another? Hmmm. Guess if you disagree with someone, it is better to just make fun of them rather than go on another thread. Well played.

You thought wrong.

MFP is supposed to help people reach their health & fitness goals in a healthy, sustainable way. Which, at times, includes telling people they're doing it wrong.

And this is Exhibit A. "I am ALWAYS right, and you are ALWAYS wrong if you disagree with me. No room for thought contemplation. No room for, "well that's interesting, I don't agree with it, but I'm going to look into it." None of that.

My way or the highway.

We have seen each and every one of the things that get posted and ripped to shreds hundreds of times, you didn't reinvent the wheel, we've done our looking into it a long time ago.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just like reading all of the comments. I thought MFP was supposed to be uplifting to one another? Hmmm. Guess if you disagree with someone, it is better to just make fun of them rather than go on another thread. Well played.

You thought wrong.

MFP is supposed to help people reach their health & fitness goals in a healthy, sustainable way. Which, at times, includes telling people they're doing it wrong.

And this is Exhibit A. "I am ALWAYS right, and you are ALWAYS wrong if you disagree with me. No room for thought contemplation. No room for, "well that's interesting, I don't agree with it, but I'm going to look into it." None of that.

My way or the highway.

We have seen each and every one of the things that get posted and ripped to shreds hundreds of times, you didn't reinvent the wheel, we've done our looking into it a long time ago.

Don't you know? We're all supposed to check critical thinking at the door and validate everything anyone says with a "that's lovely dear, how nice for you" because puppies, kittens, glitter, and unicorns help you lose weight.

AMIRITE?

bf3f4c4e4cbc909f957f939bb6bc7cc6.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    All I can say about all this is live and let live. If people think ACV cures their ails, well good luck to em' . Who am I to burst their bubble!? Truly, who really cares what strangers on the interwebz do. Anyone with a shred of common sense will be able to sort the truth from the *kitten*. Not all newbies who come here looking for advice are stupid nitwits. They don't need saving from the MFP police :wink:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    All I can say about all this is live and let live. If people think ACV cures their ails, well good luck to em' . Who am I to burst their bubble!? Truly, who really cares what strangers on the interwebz do. Anyone with a shred of common sense will be able to sort the truth from the *kitten*. Not all newbies who come here looking for advice are stupid nitwits. They don't need saving from the MFP police :wink:

That's lovely dear. How nice for you.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Right? I mean, what do they expect? Some sort of weight loss help/advice? Pffffffft.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Jesus wept.

There are lurkers, hun.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

You thought wrong.

My way or the highway.

Don't you know? We're all supposed to check critical thinking at the door and validate everything anyone says with a "that's lovely dear, how nice for you" because puppies, kittens, glitter, and unicorns help you lose weight.

AMIRITE?

bf3f4c4e4cbc909f957f939bb6bc7cc6.jpg

The Queen of the Insults strikes again. Summary - only a moron would use ACV for any health-related issue.

But with her BS in Biology, MS in Nutrition, and Doctorate in Human Physiology, I suppose she does know more than all of us.

Oooooh, do I get to wear a tiara????

• janejellyroll
    Options

Where did anyone say that, exactly?

Exaggerate much?

You said drinking apple cider vinegar changed your body chemistry so that viruses could no longer survive.

Are you now doubting that the HIV virus is the cause of AIDS? Or are you saying that this works for some viruses and not others?

• janejellyroll
    Options
    Anyone with a shred of common sense will be able to sort the truth from the *kitten*. Not all newbies who come here looking for advice are stupid nitwits. They don't need saving from the MFP police :wink:

There are people in this thread saying that apple cider vinegar will make you immune to viruses. People acting on that misinformation could be actually dangerous.

Pseudoscience flourishes when people sit back and assume that people will figure it out for themselves or justify that it doesn't hurt them if people deny reality. But things like the recent measles outbreak show that it can hurt us and it can hurt innocent people.

I like this community because it is so science-based and there is so little tolerance for fantasies. I would hate to see that change.