What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I have been taking apple cider vinegar tablets for over five years now. It started as a homeopathic cure for my chronic sinus infections. I have not had a sinus infection or a cold since I started taking it. My doctor wholeheartedly supports this practice. She says apple cider vinegar is good for overall health and wellness. As far as weight loss is concerned, I don't see any benefit from it in that regard.

Are you taking tablets that actually contain apple cider vinegar or homeopathic pills based on the pseudoscience of homeopathic dilution that don't actually contain apple cider vinegar?

This thread may have moved to the next level of woo.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    It's great and there are all kinds of health benefits. I drink a vinegar cocktail made of 1tbsp vinegar in a tall glass of cold water AM and PM (or I skip the PM cocktail if I'm having a salad for dinner as I'll use 2-3tbsp of vinegar on the salad instead). I started doing this ten years ago and haven't had a single cold since. It's also a great palate cleanser and I quickly got used to the taste.

LOL no

EVEN IF there was a shred of truth to this...how in the world do you think you're making your body more alkaline by drinking a strong acid??

Here's an alkaline 101 primer for you: "Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Now why don't you limit yourself to comments on subjects you actually know something about?

Source?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading the rest of the thread. This about sums it all up.

54920505.jpg

yup.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    It's great and there are all kinds of health benefits. I drink a vinegar cocktail made of 1tbsp vinegar in a tall glass of cold water AM and PM (or I skip the PM cocktail if I'm having a salad for dinner as I'll use 2-3tbsp of vinegar on the salad instead). I started doing this ten years ago and haven't had a single cold since. It's also a great palate cleanser and I quickly got used to the taste.

Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.

Answer: imaginary

Although vinegar does have antiseptic properties.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I have been taking apple cider vinegar tablets for over five years now. It started as a homeopathic cure for my chronic sinus infections. I have not had a sinus infection or a cold since I started taking it. My doctor wholeheartedly supports this practice. She says apple cider vinegar is good for overall health and wellness. As far as weight loss is concerned, I don't see any benefit from it in that regard.

Are you taking tablets that actually contain apple cider vinegar or homeopathic pills based on the pseudoscience of homeopathic dilution that don't actually contain apple cider vinegar?

We have crossed the Woobecon.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »

As alluded to in the article I linked, part of the "wisdom" of vinegar's health benefits comes from anti-alcohol movements of the 19th century...vinegar drinks like shrubs and switchels were advocated as an alternative to alcoholic drinks, considered more wholesome and invigorating than water. (Of course, the article also notes that Harvard students in particular liked to mix in a healthy portion of rum.....Oh, college kids, you never change...)

Fascinating! And funny!

Just trying to do my part to include actual factual information about drinking vinegar in this thread. Not my fault it leads to rum and debauchery.....
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.

Answer: imaginary

Although vinegar does have antiseptic properties.

Yeah, I've used it to clean things and it works great. I still wouldn't recommend drinking it to prevent HIV infection though . . .
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Compulsive hand washing with vinegar, that I believe would cut down on viral infections.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    That's so interesting about the vinegar punch. I'm curious now, too!

My mom called it "Vinegar Pop." She grew up during the Great Depression. It was a treat in the summer...

• shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Tried it, didn't do a thing for my appetite. However, it works wonders as a toner for your skin. Seriously. It evened out my complexion better than all those useless serums.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

Nope. Not possible. This was discussed about the alkaline water and someone put a link up to a website basically saying this wasn't possible.

Also, alkaline water is not what we're discussing here – we're talking about water with vinegar in it.

Oh I know, it was more to do with the whole "The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive." part. There was a cross over on the subject of changing the pH of your body I thought you would find interesting.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

We have crossed the Woobecon.

mBXVfaW.gif

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

Nope. Not possible. This was discussed about the alkaline water and someone put a link up to a website basically saying this wasn't possible.

Yes, and I could find you a dozen conflicting (and equally reputable) websites that will say it does work. The truth is there is no irrefutable medical evidence about it (there is a paper summing up what is known here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/ which basically states that more research is needed).

All I know is that I haven't had a cold for the past ten years, so you can put that down to coincidence if you like but I think it's more likely to be the vinegar. (:-)

Or you are amazing at washing your hands...

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options

I take tablets that contain 600 mg of apple cider vinegar. You can call it whatever you want, You can debate all day. Doesn't matter to me at all. What I KNOW to be true is that apple cider vinegar cured my sinus infection when I could not go to the doctor. Since that time, I've gone from 3-5 sinus infections per year, not to mention several colds, to ZERO. That's all I need to know.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

I take tablets that contain 600 mg of apple cider vinegar. You can call it whatever you want, You can debate all day. Doesn't matter to me at all. What I KNOW to be true is that apple cider vinegar cured my sinus infection when I could not go to the doctor. Since that time, I've gone from 3-5 sinus infections per year, not to mention several colds, to ZERO. That's all I need to know.

Post hoc ergo proctor hoc.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Crossing the Woobecon needs to be a thing now.

NEEDS.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The majority of sinus infections clear up themselves over time. Your body's natural defenses fight them off just fine.

• janejellyroll
    Options

I was just curious to know if they were actually homeopathic. You introduced that word into the conversation, not me.

Setting aside the question of how you can KNOW what cured your sinus infection, how do you think that it prevents sinus infection and colds? Are you also in the camp that you can change the pH balance in your body and make it impossible for a virus to survive? I realize you may not be in a position to act on this information, but if your doctor believes that it does, s/he should act on it. Viruses have killed millions and millions of people. We are now ready to defeat one of humanity's biggest scourges. Think of the human benefit just from eliminating all new HIV infections. Your doctor needs to get the word out.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Me too. I don't know how or why it works, but I've gone from having numerous colds, and strep throat at least once a year, to none of the above in the past ten years. And so I intend to keep on drinking it if only for that reason.

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options

LOL no

EVEN IF there was a shred of truth to this...how in the world do you think you're making your body more alkaline by drinking a strong acid??

Here's an alkaline 101 primer for you: "Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Now why don't you limit yourself to comments on subjects you actually know something about?

Source?

Looks like a website called Essence-of-Life.com