What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

This is impossible. We can't change our body chemistry that way -- and it's a good thing we can't because making your body more alkaline is no minor change. It would do a great deal more than just make you immune to all viruses.

Think through what you're saying. You're saying that drinking minor amounts of apple cider vinegar would eliminate the threat of all viruses. Why doesn't Braggs send ships filled with apple cider vinegar to Africa to fight HIV/AIDS?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

This is impossible. We can't change our body chemistry that way -- and it's a good thing we can't because making your body more alkaline is no minor change. It would do a great deal more than just make you immune to all viruses.

Think through what you're saying. You're saying that drinking minor amounts of apple cider vinegar would eliminate the threat of all viruses. Why doesn't Braggs send ships filled with apple cider vinegar to Africa to fight HIV/AIDS?

Big pharma conspiracy, of course.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's great and there are all kinds of health benefits. I drink a vinegar cocktail made of 1tbsp vinegar in a tall glass of cold water AM and PM (or I skip the PM cocktail if I'm having a salad for dinner as I'll use 2-3tbsp of vinegar on the salad instead). I started doing this ten years ago and haven't had a single cold since. It's also a great palate cleanser and I quickly got used to the taste.

LOL no

EVEN IF there was a shred of truth to this...how in the world do you think you're making your body more alkaline by drinking a strong acid??
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    It's great and there are all kinds of health benefits. I drink a vinegar cocktail made of 1tbsp vinegar in a tall glass of cold water AM and PM (or I skip the PM cocktail if I'm having a salad for dinner as I'll use 2-3tbsp of vinegar on the salad instead). I started doing this ten years ago and haven't had a single cold since. It's also a great palate cleanser and I quickly got used to the taste.

LOL no

It only changes the total internal chemistry of your body making it impossible for viruses to survive. I don't know why people find this so hard to believe. Everyone is acting like this is a big deal or something.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Nope. Not possible. This was discussed about the alkaline water and someone put a link up to a website basically saying this wasn't possible.

Yes, and I could find you a dozen conflicting (and equally reputable) websites that will say it does work. The truth is there is no irrefutable medical evidence about it (there is a paper summing up what is known here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/ which basically states that more research is needed).

All I know is that I haven't had a cold for the past ten years, so you can put that down to coincidence if you like but I think it's more likely to be the vinegar. (:-)

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recipe! Fwiw, your body works really, really hard to maintain pH in a small range. What you put in your gut stays in your gut, segregated from vascular/other systems. Most viruses get in through nose/eyes, touching your face with unwashed hands. Biting nails, etc.

All this. (And, you're welcome!)

Actually the recipe I posted will have some health benefit, as it contains blackstrap molasses, which is rich in iron.

As alluded to in the article I linked, part of the "wisdom" of vinegar's health benefits comes from anti-alcohol movements of the 19th century...vinegar drinks like shrubs and switchels were advocated as an alternative to alcoholic drinks, considered more wholesome and invigorating than water. (Of course, the article also notes that Harvard students in particular liked to mix in a healthy portion of rum.....Oh, college kids, you never change...)
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

LOL no

It only changes the total internal chemistry of your body making it impossible for viruses to survive. I don't know why people find this so hard to believe. Everyone is acting like this is a big deal or something.

Maybe someone should notify the scientific community
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Nope. Not possible. This was discussed about the alkaline water and someone put a link up to a website basically saying this wasn't possible.

Yes, and I could find you a dozen conflicting (and equally reputable) websites that will say it does work. The truth is there is no irrefutable medical evidence about it (there is a paper summing up what is known here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/ which basically states that more research is needed).

All I know is that I haven't had a cold for the past ten years, so you can put that down to coincidence if you like but I think it's more likely to be the vinegar. (:-)

Not saying the vinegar isn't magical, I was saying its not possible to change your body's pH levels.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

That brief summary says absolutely nothing about drinking vinegar making it impossible for a virus to survive in your body. Do you have any sources for that? And look at this line, from your very own source: "The human body has an amazing ability to maintain a steady pH in the blood with the main compensatory mechanisms being renal and respiratory."

Your own source is saying that the benefits you attribute to apple cider vinegar are not possible. Are you saying that your own body somehow lacks the ability to maintain a steady pH?
  • koronakona
    koronakona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use it in salad dressings and try to drink it dilluted in water several times a week for the health benefits, but definitely not for a weight loss aid.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

LOL no

EVEN IF there was a shred of truth to this...how in the world do you think you're making your body more alkaline by drinking a strong acid??

Here's an alkaline 101 primer for you: "Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Now why don't you limit yourself to comments on subjects you actually know something about?

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

As alluded to in the article I linked, part of the "wisdom" of vinegar's health benefits comes from anti-alcohol movements of the 19th century...vinegar drinks like shrubs and switchels were advocated as an alternative to alcoholic drinks, considered more wholesome and invigorating than water. (Of course, the article also notes that Harvard students in particular liked to mix in a healthy portion of rum.....Oh, college kids, you never change...)

Fascinating! And funny!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Here is an article about shrubs and switchels.

And a recipe:

Harvest Drink. Mix with five gallons of good water, half a gallon of molasses, one quart of vinegar, and two ounces of powdered ginger. This will make not only a very pleasant beverage, but one highly invigorating and healthful.

From Practical American Cookery and Domestic Economy, Elizabeth Hall (Miller, Orton & Co: New York, 1853) [Link to 1860 edition]

Reduced Adaptation:
    5 cups of cold water
    ½ cup of blackstrap molasses
    ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar (preferably raw, unfiltered)
    3 tablespoons ground ginger

Mix ingredients thoroughly. Store in jars, jugs or bottles. Shake before serving. Serve cold.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I have been taking apple cider vinegar tablets for over five years now. It started as a homeopathic cure for my chronic sinus infections. I have not had a sinus infection or a cold since I started taking it. My doctor wholeheartedly supports this practice. She says apple cider vinegar is good for overall health and wellness. As far as weight loss is concerned, I don't see any benefit from it in that regard.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Here is an article about shrubs and switchels.

And a recipe:

Harvest Drink. Mix with five gallons of good water, half a gallon of molasses, one quart of vinegar, and two ounces of powdered ginger. This will make not only a very pleasant beverage, but one highly invigorating and healthful.

From Practical American Cookery and Domestic Economy, Elizabeth Hall (Miller, Orton & Co: New York, 1853) [Link to 1860 edition]

Reduced Adaptation:
    5 cups of cold water
    ½ cup of blackstrap molasses
    ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar (preferably raw, unfiltered)
    3 tablespoons ground ginger

Mix ingredients thoroughly. Store in jars, jugs or bottles. Shake before serving. Serve cold.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

That's why you mix in the rum, to be able to choke it down.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited April 2015
    Options

You apparently missed this line too:

" A low-carbohydrate high-protein diet with its increased acid load results in very little change in blood chemistry, and pH, but results in many changes in urinary chemistry."

So if you change the acidity/alkalinity of your diet, it does nothing to change your blood chemistry, you just pee out the extra.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

LOL no

Here's an alkaline 101 primer for you: "Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Now why don't you limit yourself to comments on subjects you actually know something about?

Source: woo-promoting websites.

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

Also, alkaline water is not what we're discussing here – we're talking about water with vinegar in it.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Also, alkaline water is not what we're discussing here – we're talking about water with vinegar in it.

And vinegar has magical powers that defy science.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading the rest of the thread. This about sums it all up.

54920505.jpg