NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• mmcjtink
    mmcjtink Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Trooworld. Hope you feel better!!!

I hope all you ladies have a great weekend!! If your anything like me the weekends are hard!!! I want pizza and wine! I'm sure I will have some. My goals for the weekend is to not over eat (2 slices of pizza instead of the entire pizza). And hit the gym! Good luck girls!!!
  • HappyBride917
    HappyBride917 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm a WW and I'm new to MFP. I'm not sure how I become a member of this board but I'd like to.

I'm tired of paying $45-50/month with WW and I'm curious if MFP is the place for me. I have been going to meetings for a year and I'm down about 11 pounds. I'm getting married in September and I'd like to reach my goal by then which is another 30-35 lbs. I'm hoping I can make some friends here and join this group for support.

I've also found that I feel like WW costs me more points for foods that are healthy. For instance sugar and honey are the same points. But honey is so much better for you than white sugar...you know what I mean? I'd love to hear others thoughts on the differences of WW to MFP and just general tips and tricks! Thanks!
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

@cbabie - (((hugs))) You are in my thoughts and prayers.

@trooworld - I hope you are resting as comfortable as you can.

@mmcjtink - Two pieces of pizza is a good goal. Being mindful of what you are eating and drinking is a victory in itself.

@HappyBride917 - Welcome! Click the hollow star at the top of the page to bookmark the thread so you can find us easier. The only tip I have is log every bite you take, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and be kind to yourself. When using the food data base choose your entry carefully because some of the entries are inaccurate. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

I am sill getting twinges in my knee so no exercise today. Though I know I can't out exercise a bad diet, I do miss having exercise calories to eat back. I was over again yesterday. I will just keep plugging along.

I hope everyone has an awesome weekend. <3

Liz

January Goals
    1 January 2017 239 CW 236.4
    1. Log all food 19 out of 31 days Under calories 13 of 31 days Over calories 6 of 31 days Protein goal 6 of 31 days
    2. Exercise 25 hours (1500 minutes) this month 1005 minutes
    3. Managing stress 16 out of 31 days

I am being purposeful in my daily actions to become the healthy active balanced person that I want to be.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, and welcome to the new members who recently joined. :)

I'm finishing up week one of Insanity Max 30 tonight. It went well but last nights "Tabata Power" workout was hard due to a lack of energy. I think I need to eat more on the days that I do Insanity so I can put more energy into them. Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    cbabie I hope you find a balance between being productive, caregiving, and taking care of you. Are you exercising?

@jamiewilldo Welcome to the group On top right hand side is a star to bookmark our thread. I try to get in every night although sometimes don't make it.

mmcjtink Nonscale victories or NSV are just as important on this journey. Good for you on the eating and exercising.

gemwolf that's my kind of vacation. I would just sit and read all day. Oh I'm supposed to be moving, OK I would read and walk.

trooworld Sorry about your cold, I still have a lingering cough but feeling so much better now. Rest is the best thing.

mysticlizard Tatting, is that like knitting? I always learn something on here. Well back to good choices tomorrow.

@HappyBride917 Welcome to the group On top right hand side is a star to bookmark our thread. For me the reason I like this better than WW is that I'm prediabetic and I'm supposed to be watching my carb levels. I tried tracking both for awhile but couldn't keep up. I find what is best is to do what works for you. Honey is better than white sugar I think. One thing I didn't like about WW is that they kept changing things. I would get used to doing it one way and start to learn point values for favorite foods then here comes a new program and new point values. So I'm happy here at MFP if only I could get more consistent in my habits. But I'm getting better. Oh yeah on the tracking thing like mysticlizard said, I try to scan barcodes first for things I'm eating, then look for the green checkmark. Weighing and measuring food is important I think because it could really affect the calorie totals. What I think is a cup may be more.

FitPhillygirl Your workouts sound awesome One day I will be at a level where I can do those programs.

OK so exercise did not happen tonight. An old friend came into town and we stayed out longer than I planned and if I had really thought about it, I should have done it ahead of our scheduled time. Just wasn't thinking evidently. So that's a lesson to be learned.

• cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Morning:

I am trying to keep up on this board, but it is sometimes a little more time that I have right now. I know I will get back to normal at some point. I have been up at the hospital most of my time with squeezing in going into work for a couple of hours, etc. It looks like it will be a long process and I have to start planning my time better. I literally have not worked out since I got sick right after Christmas. I can feel it in my body. I know I have to take care of me so I can continue taking care of the ones who depend on me. So today, I slept in until 5, I can't remember the last time I did that. I am usually up at 2-2:30AM...so I guess my body needed it.

I am tracking so that part is good.

Welcome to all you newbies!!! I hope you continue your walk to health with us.

I was WW and I did achieve lifetime status. I will tell you though that if I didn't track every day, continue my exercise routine, continue eating healthy and still trying new things..I would be right back at over my goal and need to start all over again. How do I know? Because that is exactly what happened, I put on 15 lbs, I didn't want or need. They kind of crept up on me. So the one thing I have learned is that this is a lifetime journey, we always have to put our health first above all else. I am still working on that with my dad in the hospital, my family here that needs my care, my job, my church activities..see if I don't be careful, I will be down. So I am preaching to myself.

@jamiewilldo Welcome, the more the merrier around here. We all support each other and have something to contribute!!

@HappyBride917 Congratulations on your wedding!

@trooworld I hope you feel much better, that stuff is nasty!!

@gemwolf110 Loved the vacation post, hope you are having a great time not working.

@mmcjtink Great choices, we have to be able to live a normal life. I used to plan during the week for my weekend menu's. I looked at it as a whole week, not just the day. That was my WW training.

@mysticlizard Take care of your knee..it's a priority, then back to your normal routine. If you don't, you want be able to..I know..LOL

@FitPhillygirl You probably do need to eat more..you will know! :)

@theslightedgeforever Well you enjoyed your friend, that was a good thing.

@healthypelican Hope you are having a good week.

@rickweinberg Enjoy your weekend!

@bugmom92 Hope all is well.

Okay, I am sure I have missed someone and I apologize. I hope everyone enjoys their weekend. Thanks to each of your for comments regarding my dad.!

Cbabie
  • cathyfalcone9819
    cathyfalcone9819 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm also a former Weight Watcher but recently I finally quit in November. I admit I miss some aspects of the meetings and thought briefly about rejoining. The thing is I am retring in April and I need to cut not increase expenses. I starting gaining again mostly believe it or not because of the company now banning eating at our desks. I'd been ver successful by keeping healthy crunchy snacks at my desk. I have to play the game for 2 more months unless they lift the ban. I found 100 calorie protein drink helps but it does not satisfy the chew craving. I'm not diabetic but I am hypoglycemic so I may be able to get a medical exception . I'm finding myself stuffing food at lunch just so I do t get hungry. I would appreciate any tips
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,924 Member
    Options
    Hi all! The cold is still making it hard for me to breathe, although I am a little better than yesterday. I hope you all have a great weekend!

@mmcjtink how did you do with the pizza and wine? That's really hard for me. Did you hit the gym?

@HappyBride917 welcome! You're in! :) I was tired of paying the money for WW too. It's a great program for a lot of people, I just wasn't in the frame of mind for it anymore.

@mysticlizard well, I'm a little better today but still miserable. I ordered a diffuser with peppermint essential oil but it won't come until tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be better by then. lol sorry your knees are still bothering you.

@theslightedgeforever I'm staying home today so I can rest, I don't want a relapse from being out in the rain and cold (we are experiencing both right now, which is weird for SD). I need to go to work Monday!

@cbabie congrats on tracking!

@cathyfalcone... maybe try adding more protein and healthy fats to your lunches and breakfasts?
  • HappyBride917
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the welcome!! Feel free to add me as a friend to help us all on this journey!
  • rickweinberg
    rickweinberg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just checking and giving an update. Went on a long, grueling bike ride today. January 21st and I rode my bike for 3:45. Good for me, but I may have over done it. After the long ride I went up to take a bath and no hot water. See we had problems with our furnace and went with a whole new system. We now have baseboard hot water heat with a tankless hot water system. The tankless system also runs our tap water. There is some problem because we are supposed to have continuous hot water but we do not. I'm very angry and close to calling the better business bureau. Calling the plumber on Monday for sure. Son, 17 year old, passed his drivers test today. He actually drove himself to a friends house. He passed the test on his second try. It makes me nervous but we have to let them grow up and hope we taught them well. I am logging my calories. I feel lighter. I think my gut is a bit smaller. I'm really hoping for a great weigh-in Monday. I should just be relaxed about it. It is just a number. The problem is that my hard work, hopefully will reflect my hard work this week. I was good this week and not perfect. I let perfect go a long time ago.

@cbabie Keep at it. I have a lot of respect for you. What you do is so important. I'm pretty sure I can't do the job you do. Keep up the positive self talk. Things get bad. We all get low. Making unhealthy choices, although feel good at the time, do not help in the long run. Your Marta about taking care of yourself so you can take care of others is very powerful. But in your case is very important for what you do and the tough times you are working through. Keep positive. Keep your chin up and keep advancing.

@jamiewilldo Not sure if I've welcomed you already. Well, welcome. I think you will love this group. It is very positive and many of us can relate to each other journey.

@HappyBride917 Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You must post a picture of yourself in the wedding dress since you will have reached your goal.

@trooworld Boy, I hope you get well soon. Drink a lot of fluids.

@gemwolf110 Enjoy the vacation. Relax and do things for you.

@mmcjtink Pizza is a big problem for me too. Can you really have pizza without beer? Then the wheels come off. I wish I could stop at two pieces. I really try to dissuade the family from getting pizza. My wife is glutten free so we do not have as much pizza as we used to.

@mysticlizard Take care of that knee. Ice helps with swelling. Staying off of it too will help. I've had 3 knee surgeries and the Dr. says I'm headed for a total knee replacement. No more basketball or running and is why I got into biking.

@FitPhillygirl I have always wanted to do a video work out. Not a lot of room in my living room. If you are doing insanity in the morning, try coffee. If you drink coffee, have a bit more. Also, I'd recommend GU or Jelly Belly's energy beans 5 minutes before your work out. You will tell a difference. Also, remember, the very fact that you are working out is a really great thing and a good step in the right direction. Plus, some days you have it and some days you do not.

@theslightedgeforever Enjoying your friends are important. Learning lessons is important too. Working out before the visit would have been good but there is always tomorrow. I try to workout with my good friends. I rode my bike with one of them today.

@healthypelican I loved weight watchers. It taught me that I no longer need to feel trapped about my weight. WW also taught me "I am in control." That also means that I do not need WW. If I have an open mind and faithful to the MFP program I can lose again. That is what I believe.

@bugmom92 You are so right. On this program you are so much more aware of the nutritional value of what you eat. That is something I've never thought of before. What is TOPS? I've always thought about going to an over eaters anonymous meeting. I think talking to real people is important. I do think talking to people on MFP is good too. I can always talk about my friends about my weight. They know my struggles. I never felt like WW was expensive because I got results. I'm not sure what to think now. If MFP works I will probably think WW was expensive.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend. I'm planning on watching football tomorrow. I should do some more cleaning around the house. I did vacuum today before my bike ride. Peace out and be well.
  • cbabie
    Options
    Morning, I am running. Late, but wanted to stop by and. Read the post. All great ideas from each of you. I am so thankful for this board. And each of you..

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all! I feel a lot better than I have been, but am still a bit stopped up. I ordered an essential oil diffuser with some oils, and will use the eucalyptus oil in the diffuser...that is supposed to help with stuffiness. I pick it up today. I wish I would have ordered it the day I started getting sick, but at least I'll have it for future illnesses. It's also good for just when you want your house to smell good. Boy, yesterday seemed like the longest day and night. We were so bored and had no money to do anything. I wanted to take a walk but couldn't because I was afraid I wouldn't have the energy once I started. I want to do more meditation, so I'm going to try to do that today. Next week, I will go to a meditation class at the local UU church. Meditation really helps me, and what helps me even more is if I have something organized like a class to go to. At work, twice a month, we have a meditation class. I really enjoy it.

@rickweinberg that's a bummer about the tankless hot water system. :( I hope you get hot water soon. Congrats to your son on getting his license! Good luck tomorrow at weigh in ((( SKINNY VIBES ))) Good point about liquids, I haven't been drinking enough.

@gemwolf110 good luck with the interviews, I hate them too! I'm not a salesman by nature, but I seem to do a good job of selling myself at interviews, that's what it's about. Enjoy your vacation time! I'm feeling better but still a little stopped up.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I missed posting yesterday and am way behind today. My knee is doing better. I was in the Cities with the girls yesterday. It felt so good to get out and move. I was sore last night but I am more unhappy with the inactivity and don't seem to do as well with my eating as when I am active. Getting on the scale tomorrow will not be a fun affair. I think I will start doing tai chi tomorrow for exercise. It should be easy on my knee but help me to get moving again. Tatting is making lace with thin crochet thread and a tatting shuttle. I am still working on doing the different knots/stitches. I like it because it is tedious and requires concentration. I hope everyone has a nice Sunday. <3

Liz

January Goals
    1 January 2017 239 CW 236.4
    1. Log all food 21 out of 31 days Under calories 13 of 31 days Over calories 8 of 31 days Protein goal 6 of 31 days
    2. Exercise 25 hours (1500 minutes) this month 1005 minutes
    3. Managing stress 16 out of 31 days

I am being purposeful in my daily actions to become the healthy active balanced person that I want to be.
  • rickweinberg
    Options
    @mysticlizard When you get a chance, take a picture of your tatting. All of us would love to see it.
  • HappyBride917
    Options
    Hey Everyone -
    Thanks for the warm welcomes (again) - I just wanted to check in and ask those of you who have left weight watchers if you are happy with your decision. I have tried my fitness pal a couple of years ago...and I went back and forth trying to decide if leaving ww was the right idea. I compared the two and drove myself crazy and I eventually did not do anything. I want to stay here because it is free and I find myself staying more accountable (actually tracking everything) unlike with WW. I also am having a hard time paying the money for WW every month. However, I have this big part of me that is afraid to leave WW. It's like it has some kind of hold on me! Haha - anyone else deal with that? Who is super happy to have left & now track just here? Thank you so much in advance!
  • HappyBride917
    Options
    @gemwolf110 I feel like maybe my meetings are becoming the same thing over and over again. We talk about why we can't do it and why some can.
  • rickweinberg
    Options
    I have no regrets leaving WW. Weight loss is all about burning more calories than one consumes. The mental game means a lot too. Weight watches is good with their "tools for living." Reframing, failure is feedback and focus objects are all great things. We all need to remember these tools. The thing that I miss about WW is the emotional tone of people's voices that are struggling with the exact same thing(s) I am. I think being faithful to any weight loss program will work.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Quick check in tonight but wanted to check in. I'll go back tomorrow and catch up on the posts from you.
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all. My cold is almost gone yay! It's been really lousy weather the past week and it's supposed to rain today and possibly tomorrow as well. Whole30 is going really well...it's day 17 of my 30 days and I feel great other than his cold. I think I will take some of the Whole30 principles (such as no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners) and make them part of my life after this. I'm still trying to decide what my eating plan will look like. I've said it will be paleo and it might be. I'm just trying to lose weight and be healthy.

@gemwolf110 yep, just practice practice practice! I love watching hockey games live. It's so fun! That's cool that you play.

@mysticlizard I'm sorry your knee is still bothering you but that's great it's doing better. I take a tai chi class at work every Friday, I like it. It's slow but can be a little challenging to hold poses for lengthened periods of time. Just don't do anything that hurts your knee in tai chi. Not only does tatting require concentration, you can't eat while you are doing it! :)

@HappyBride917 I left WW totally in about Sept or Oct of 2016. I left for financial reasons as well as because I wasn't seeing success even though I had been a member for about 5 years. I only use MFP now (although for 30 days, I'm not tracking, I'm doing Whole30). I'm very happy with my decision, although I do miss attending the meetings. I got not only comraderie out of the meetings, but tips and help. I'm not saying I'll never go back to WW, but for now, this is the right decision for me. I'm saving $49 a month plus I do have comraderie with you all on this board.

• cbabie
    Options
    Morning!

My system is all whacked you just don't know how much it take out of you when you are caring for someone, plus keeping up all you normally do. I came home from the hospital about 3:30 and laid down and slept until 7. I think my body thought that was my normal sleep cycle, as I was up until 3 this morning and laid down for a couple of hours before getting up to start my day. I have to get my routine back, routine plays an important part in my life. Yesterday they asked my dad who was our president and he didn't know at first, then he said Clinton. the nurse had to clarify by asking the first name, however, he couldn't even remember that. oh...the little things in life.

This is making me more aware of my health. I am so much like my father...I was thinking about something this morning and I could "see" my face and knew it was the same look I had seen in my father this week. I am not near having a stroke, my blood pressures is like my mom's...they have to make sure I am alive, it's so low. However, I do think about my mind..

@HappyBride917 I have no regrets on leaving WW, I think it's a safety net we all have. It got me to where I needed to be at that point in my life. I know the things I did like about the meetings, was the tips and seeing the emotion when people met a goal. So I say how can we make this more like WW meetings with the tips and goals. :)

@trooworld I think it's great you have stayed the course. My encouragement to you is to find that plan before you get off your 30 Days...you did well with boundaries and goals.

@gemwolf110 Enjoy your time off, and yes, I too have been told I don't sell myself well. It's hard for me, but this last year I have HAD to, learn before you are my age. LOL I will pray that you find the right balance.

@rickweinberg oh how I remember the days when my girls started driving and the late night waiting up for them to come home so you knew they were safe. After awhile, you will be sending him on errands for you. :)

Okay I have to go and get this day started with my shower...need one. :)

Cbabie