Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I feel like the only weight I gained was belly fat. I try to push the hip thrusts and deadlifts in the gym, lots of bodyweight squats when not in gym, but booty stays the same...

What are you hip thrusting? Are you increasing weekly? Do you do it once or twice per week? What about cable pull throughs, kick backs, good mornings, lateral work?

I've seen ridiculous results but I've been hip thrusting twice per week. One time is heavy in the 5 rep range, another time 8-12. All weight is between 225-300. And the cable pull throughs are golden as well.

I have been hip thrusting 160 5x6 twice a week. My squat was 145 5x5 and deads were at 165 5x3. I haven't increased the weight because I feel that I can barely do the last set with good form. No cables in the gym. I can add good mornings, but thought they mostly worked low back and ham strings. I could also add kick backs with a band, lateral work with ankle weights? I won't be back in the weight room until at least Jan. 6th. Might need to scale back a bit at first, after being off two weeks. I can do some band/ankle weight donkey kicks and lateral raises at home until then (in addition to my circuit and kickboxing dvds).

Why hip thrusting the same weight for the same amount of sets and reps twice per week? Why not a day of 8's at 125 or something...a day at 175-185 for three sets of 3-5?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    All of this talk of hip thrusts reminds me of a woman I saw at my gym last week. She was using the EZ bar with a towel wrapped around it to thrust 145 (best estimate, as I assume the bar is 25).

The only reason it even caught my attention is because she can't weight more than 105, and she was supersetting them with pressing 40 lbs. dumbells overhead for sets of 8. I'm used to seeing such tiny women struggle to push an empty bar vertically, and she was blasting those things up like she wanted to toss them through the ceiling.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    All of this talk of hip thrusts reminds me of a woman I saw at my gym last week. She was using the EZ bar with a towel wrapped around it to thrust 145 (best estimate, as I assume the bar is 25).

The only reason it even caught my attention is because she can't weight more than 105, and she was supersetting them with pressing 40 lbs. dumbells overhead for sets of 8. I'm used to seeing such tiny women struggle to push an empty bar vertically, and she was blasting those things up like she wanted to toss them through the ceiling.

An EZ bar tho!? Like a curvy one? Ouch.

Yeah, it's easy to move way more weight with a hip thrust. It's definitely my heaviest lift. I was nearing 300lb even back when my deadlift max was only nearing 200.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Why we taking EC stacks while bulking? Do not understand.

Because I look for any reason to shove more food into myself when bulking. The same reason I walk ten miles most days with a weight vest on. ;)

Word. I bulked on 2000 calories. I have an appetite for 2500. Basically my life is crap so I hear ya.

Yeah, my last bulk, I got fat as hell (gained 2.5 lbs./week) on 2800. This time, I'm averaging between 3100-3500, and only gaining 0.75-1 lbs./week so far, and all of the walking with a wight vest is doing wonders for my legs, shoulders, obliques and abs. Even at my current rate of gain, I keep finding new veins weekly.

Screw an "only lift and eat" bulk. The more I move, the more I love moving. Just gotta feed the machine to compensate.

This is me.. I have not stopped running.. I sort of want to for a month or so, but it is such a huge part of why I think I am not putting on excess fat storage in the same capacity I did on my last bulk in June?

Am I understanding that I can or should keep running? I seem to be at a happy medium right now in my bulk..

Also does anyone besides me like the way they look better during their bulk? I sort of think I feel and look better now and hubs seems to agree.. just curious..
  • bbell1985
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Because I look for any reason to shove more food into myself when bulking. The same reason I walk ten miles most days with a weight vest on. ;)

Word. I bulked on 2000 calories. I have an appetite for 2500. Basically my life is crap so I hear ya.

Yeah, my last bulk, I got fat as hell (gained 2.5 lbs./week) on 2800. This time, I'm averaging between 3100-3500, and only gaining 0.75-1 lbs./week so far, and all of the walking with a wight vest is doing wonders for my legs, shoulders, obliques and abs. Even at my current rate of gain, I keep finding new veins weekly.

Screw an "only lift and eat" bulk. The more I move, the more I love moving. Just gotta feed the machine to compensate.

This is me.. I have not stopped running.. I sort of want to for a month or so, but it is such a huge part of why I think I am not putting on excess fat storage in the same capacity I did on my last bulk in June?

Am I understanding that I can or should keep running? I seem to be at a happy medium right now in my bulk..

Also does anyone besides me like the way they look better during their bulk? I sort of think I feel and look better now and hubs seems to agree.. just curious..

I thought I looked better during the late beginning/middle of my bulk LAST winter. I think it's because I had to get so slim in order to put it back on. I didn't really realize how small I was because the scale wasn't that low. But my face had started getting very thin and the skin around my elbows looked weird. And I had no butt as you can see in my profile pic.

I don't even know what I'm posting on here. I'm not technically bulking. Just accidentally bulking lol. I felt like I needed to be part of something. ha
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

I thought I looked better during the late beginning/middle of my bulk LAST winter. I think it's because I had to get so slim in order to put it back on. I didn't really realize how small I was because the scale wasn't that low. But my face had started getting very thin and the skin around my elbows looked weird. And I had no butt as you can see in my profile pic.

I don't even know what I'm posting on here. I'm not technically bulking. Just accidentally bulking lol. I felt like I needed to be part of something.
    ha

lol..

I am beginning/mid now, still have a way to go, I too did lean down quite a bit this time around. While I was not skeletal looking, I had some nice abs showing through, but I feel better right now and I do look better.

I am quite short so putting on weight in the past would make me start looking like a short version of Michelin man...lol
  • bbell1985
    Options

I don't even know what I'm posting on here. I'm not technically bulking. Just accidentally bulking lol. I felt like I needed to be part of something.
    ha

lol..

I am beginning/mid now, still have a way to go, I too did lean down quite a bit this time around. While I was not skeletal looking, I had some nice abs showing through, but I feel better right now and I do look better.

I am quite short so putting on weight in the past would make me start looking like a short version of Michelin man...lol

Haha....yeah. I liked that point as well. But obviously I kept going until I couldn't anymore...let's just say, there is a point. The day I absolutely couldn't look in the mirror anymore I called it quits.

My favorite look to this date was after gaining about 5lbs on my bulk. If I can ever get back down to 135 I know I will like it a lot.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

ha

lol..

Haha....yeah. I liked that point as well. But obviously I kept going until I couldn't anymore...let's just say, there is a point. The day I absolutely couldn't look in the mirror anymore I called it quits.

My favorite look to this date was after gaining about 5lbs on my bulk. If I can ever get back down to 135 I know I will like it a lot.

I am near 7 pounds gain.. scales are tipping that way today.. but body composition changes are an amazing thing to me.. My lean down weight was probably what I considered my "comfy" weight in the past, but its not weight related at all any more.. I am not even sure what my weight goal will be when I cut..

Anywhoo, welcome!!!! and when my "bulking" clothes absolutely do not fit any longer, this will be my "I have bulked till I can't stand myself any longer".. lol
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    wrote:
    Yeah, it's easy to move way more weight with a hip thrust. It's definitely my heaviest lift. I was nearing 300lb even back when my deadlift max was only nearing 200.

I can't handle nearly as much weight as I can with glute bridges, so I don't know what my problem is.... Nooooo idea how people manage 300lbs, but seriously...more power to ya.

ha

lol..

I was really happy with my look once I started putting weight back on. 110 made me look skeletal, and I could see lymph nodes which was just plain creepy. My mood was way less than pleasant too. I don't look terrible now at 120, but it's a lil too soft and jiggly.... Planning to whack off roughly half of what I gained because that's where I felt/looked best.

I'd like to try again sometime and fix what I did wrong though.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

An EZ bar tho!? Like a curvy one? Ouch.

Yea this is true. I can move way more weight with the hip thrust compared to my sad excuse for a deadlift. haha
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    wrote:

I can't handle nearly as much weight as I can with glute bridges, so I don't know what my problem is.... Nooooo idea how people manage 300lbs, but seriously...more power to ya.

ha

lol..

I was really happy with my look once I started putting weight back on. 110 made me look skeletal, and I could see lymph nodes which was just plain creepy. My mood was way less than pleasant too. I don't look terrible now at 120, but it's a lil too soft and jiggly.... Planning to whack off roughly half of what I gained because that's where I felt/looked best.

I think most of us putting on the first 5-7 pounds are quite happy with the way we feel and look!

And how I get the soft jiggly and just plain ole feel bloated and too fat for comfort. You have held on quite nicely through all this from what I can tell, and while nothing is ever a wast of time, you now have some knowledge under your belt to help you next time. The second one and third one will be even better.

I think I can go another 7 -10 pound gain before I start wondering how bad I look.. Puffy and pumped are two different things to me at this point.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    wrote:

ha

lol..

I think most of us putting on the first 5-7 pounds are quite happy with the way we feel and look!

And how I get the soft jiggly and just plain ole feel bloated and too fat for comfort. You have held on quite nicely through all this from what I can tell, and while nothing is ever a wast of time, you now have some knowledge under your belt to help you next time. The second one and third one will be even better.

I think I can go another 7 -10 pound gain before I start wondering how bad I look.. Puffy and pumped are two different things to me at this point.

Thank you.... And I know what you mean about puffy and pumped. Being a middle aged chick....I've kept my expectations low, but I don't think I'm walking away with nothing because my entire body feels different despite the fat gain. "Pumped" is the perfect word to describe it.

No regrets at all. :smile:

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My weight is up again. I haven't been lifting, so I hope its not all just fat. I do body weight, bands, and dumbbells when I can.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I feel like the only weight I gained was belly fat. I try to push the hip thrusts and deadlifts in the gym, lots of bodyweight squats when not in gym, but booty stays the same...

What are you hip thrusting? Are you increasing weekly? Do you do it once or twice per week? What about cable pull throughs, kick backs, good mornings, lateral work?

I've seen ridiculous results but I've been hip thrusting twice per week. One time is heavy in the 5 rep range, another time 8-12. All weight is between 225-300. And the cable pull throughs are golden as well.

I have been hip thrusting 160 5x6 twice a week. My squat was 145 5x5 and deads were at 165 5x3. I haven't increased the weight because I feel that I can barely do the last set with good form. No cables in the gym. I can add good mornings, but thought they mostly worked low back and ham strings. I could also add kick backs with a band, lateral work with ankle weights? I won't be back in the weight room until at least Jan. 6th. Might need to scale back a bit at first, after being off two weeks. I can do some band/ankle weight donkey kicks and lateral raises at home until then (in addition to my circuit and kickboxing dvds).

Why hip thrusting the same weight for the same amount of sets and reps twice per week? Why not a day of 8's at 125 or something...a day at 175-185 for three sets of 3-5?

I can try to mix it up. I basically still follow a 5x5 routine, so that's why it seems so repetitive.
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I always feel like I look better with more weight. Technically 107 puts me at a minimum healthy weight which I'm now back up to so yay bc I can work out again but I don't look or feel healthy until I'm 115. Ideally I'd maintain 120-125 though one day bc that's when I feel my best. My goal goal now so I don't feel like I'll never reach it is that 115. I'll evaluate trying to get up to 120-125 when I get there.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

I was definitely not happy with how I looked before I started. My non-existent boobs had gotten smaller and I saw way too much rib bone and some breast bone...But still had loads of thigh fat. And I was thinking about food ALL THE TIME.

I am at the 3 month mark now. I started around 104-105 pounds and am up to 109. As long as I am not bloated I feel good about how I look. I have more fat in my boobs and my breast bone is not as visible. When I get bloated a lot of water weight goes to my thighs and it is not attractive! At least it isn't that noticeable with pants on! :wink:

I am going to go for 2 more months and am shooting for 2-3 more pounds. I have a feeling these last few pounds are going to push me into the not liking how I look side of things. I am also over 40 but like @cnbbnc am hopeful about having some muscle gain!

@RoxieDawn I was thinking this feels like a different kind of fat. Maybe it was just a little bit of inflammation but the other day I was touching the backside of my thighs and thinking things feel pretty solid under the fat. And my butt looks jiggle looks a little different!
  • bbell1985
    Options

I can try to mix it up. I basically still follow a 5x5 routine, so that's why it seems so repetitive.

Undulate that periodization yo. You can get way more volume on the hip thrusts.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I bumped up my calories again today.. Heck New Year and upping the cals sounds pretty good to me.. I am averaging .6 pound gain a week and sort of stabilized last two, so why not..

I am still in for all the food, more food and lots of gainz.. My frame of mind during this is still on top, big fluffy shirts hide all that does not need to be seen right now..

Good luck ladies and gents on the start of 2017..
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    My measurements of hip and waist are up about 1/2 in each. My weight was up about 3lb from the start. I hope I can hit the weights this week(Thursday!)