April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'll be leaning on you for making my training plan for my 50k. I only have like 18 weeks to train, and that's if I jump right in after Grandma's....more likely I'll have 16-17 weeks......ugh, good thing I can get to Giant's Ridge for hills and trails.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    01/04 4.04 miles
    03/04 3.10 miles
    05/04 3.51miles
    06/04 4.14 miles
    07/04 3.10 miles
    11/04 3.01 miles
    13/04 3.52 miles
    14/04 4.06 miles
    15/04 4.12 miles
    16/04 3.54 miles
    18/04 3.60 miles
    19/04 4.09 miles
    20/04 4.09 miles

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'll be leaning on you for making my training plan for my 50k. I only have like 18 weeks to train, and that's if I jump right in after Grandma's....more likely I'll have 16-17 weeks......ugh, good thing I can get to Giant's Ridge for hills and trails.

No problem, be glad to help.

I can sum it up in two songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH4FVcufuXI

You'll have a nice base after Grandma's. From that point:

Rest & Recover
    Get on the trails
    Get on the hilly trails
    Get on the steep, hilly, technical trails
    Taper
    Race

The biggest thing will be to get you off the road and into the woods. I've read that every other long run should mimic what you're going to face during the race, but more trail is always better. But we're getting ahead of things. You've got to run Grandma's first.

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Thanks for the knowledge and insight!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

No problem, be glad to help.

I can sum it up in two songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH4FVcufuXI

You'll have a nice base after Grandma's. From that point:

Rest & Recover
    Get on the trails
    Get on the hilly trails
    Get on the steep, hilly, technical trails
    Taper
    Race

The biggest thing will be to get you off the road and into the woods. I've read that every other long run should mimic what you're going to face during the race, but more trail is always better. But we're getting ahead of things. You've got to run Grandma's first.

Thanks. That's why I'm planning to hit the ridge a lot and try to get at least 2-3 runs on the SHT
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Aim: 130k

4/2: 13.1k -casual run-
    4/3: 1.5k -cause I am lazy, that's why-
    4/4: 4k -as c/d of leg day training-
    4/6: 5k -after gym-
    4/7: 8.5k -intervals-
    4/8: 9.1k -various surfaces-
    4/9: 12.5k -trail-
    4/11: 4.5k -c/d from strength training-
    4/13: 9.7k -intervals-
    4/14: 14.8k -various surfaces-
    4/19: 2.5k -c/d from strength training-
    4:20: 4.1k -c/d from legs day-

pheeewww....

88.7/130k
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Interesting what you say about balance @7lenny7

I started doing T'ai Chi again after many years away, and last night we were doing just that. Slowly balancing on one leg, and then the other. But the really interesting bit was when we did the same exercise, but then closing our eyes. I strongly recommend it!! Your legs and feet suddenly have to respond to the environment more, without the assistance of being the spatial awareness your eyesight gives you.

I think it's a practice I'm going to try daily, to enhance the strength and responsiveness of my legs.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Ever wish you could see a map of your run in full screen view? It always irritated me that Garmin Connect and Strava won't let you do that (that I'm aware of). Strava kind of lets you do that but split and pace info still fill up over half the screen.

I found a solution for Garmin Connect by using the bookmarklet here:

https://johanberonius.github.io/fullscreen-maps/garmin-connect/

Another cool bookmarklet they have is one to get a summary of select splits. Let's say you do a 1 mile warm up, a 5 mile tempo run, then a 1 mile cool down. You can use that bookmarklet to select the middle 5 mile splits and get a summary of just those. Very cool!

The site does a good job of explaining how it all works. I'm using Chrome but I'm not sure if the browser matters. The site also has user script things but that's beyond my intelligence.

• girlinahat
    Options
    Didn't run with the club tonight, a bit worried that with the hamstring niggle I had yesterday I'd have to bail partway through, and then be in a field in the middle of nowhere unable to remember how to get back!!

Managed a half hour run straight from work though - there's a bridlepath on our drive, down to an old railway track now a cycle path, so perfect for an out and back with a tiny bit of trail first. Hamstring was niggling at first, but after 10 minutes or so was fine and much better. Now just to get the calf to stop annoying me!!!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Interesting what you say about balance @7lenny7

I started doing T'ai Chi again after many years away, and last night we were doing just that. Slowly balancing on one leg, and then the other. But the really interesting bit was when we did the same exercise, but then closing our eyes. I strongly recommend it!! Your legs and feet suddenly have to respond to the environment more, without the assistance of being the spatial awareness your eyesight gives you.

Excellent point (and exercise) and it describes proprioception perfectly.

Running in the dark reduces your vision enough that you need to rely more on proprioception, but there's enough ambient light (at least when I've done it) that you're not going to run off a cliff....hopefully. With visual cues greatly diminished, your mind has to focus on the feedback your feet are giving you.

I hadn't been doing my balancing with my eyes closed but i will be now.

Once I get really good at this I'm going to start driving with my eyes closed like my Dad used to do.

• girlinahat
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Once I get really good at this I'm going to start driving with my eyes closed like my Dad used to do.

Please buy a tesla or similar if you are planning that. Reminds me of being in the car with my boss and him turning to me saying 'oh sorry, I fell asleep for a bit there'
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @lporter229 I just finally had the chance to read your Boston recap. I must admit that I got a little teary reading it. I hope to be able to join in on the fun next year.

@Ohhim I wish that I had a 2:44 time at RCM. And now I know why you said that. For the longest time, I have been false advertising that finish time and didn't realize the mistake. LOL It should be 3:44. Oh my!

@7lenny7 I love the ABB reference.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So, I was pulling out my beloved Brooke glycerin 13s to pack for my saturday run, and noticed this wear pattern on the left shoe. Something to worry about? Mainly thinking where the black is totally worn down on the outside of the heel. Right shoe has similar wear pattern, but it's not as far along.

Shoes have 306 miles and feel fine, from what I remember, last time I wore them was 2 weeks ago. Was planning to wear them in my 15 on Saturday.

20170420_170041_zpsjo6yijgi.jpg
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn You would gasp if you saw the bottom of some of my shoes. Not that I advocate anyone running in shoes that I end up abusing, but just saying, I am probably not a good person to give advise in this area.
    About as much as I work on my form I too have a wear pattern on the outside of my heel.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn You would gasp if you saw the bottom of some of my shoes. Not that I advocate anyone running in shoes that I end up abusing, but just saying, I am probably not a good person to give advise in this area.
    About as much as I work on my form I too have a wear pattern on the outside of my heel.

LOL.... I'm normally a shoe killer, but with my first full in just over 8 weeks, maybe I'm being overly cautious?? I LOVE the feel of the Brooks Glycerin 13, so I'd be sad if I had to think about retiring them after "only" 300 miles......