WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Heather – I’m sorry I didn’t make myself clear. What I meant was that you need to take an extra step in browning the meat, be it in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop. You can’t just put the meat in the InstantPot and have it cook and it comes out browned. Lol you thinking I shouldn’t get one…lol If I do, you can bet that I would give things to people because I wanted to try new recipes in it!

I had a DVD ready to do today but for some reason it wouldn’t work in my laptop so I just did the DVD I did yesterday. At least I did something

I didn’t think about it yesterday, but I should have borrowed Jess’ Fitbit to see what I think of it. I notice (boo) that she doesn’t wear it as much as she used to.

Marcelyn – I called the bridal shop where I bought my dress for Denise’s wedding just to ask them how much the alterations would be because I know Diane will charge me much less. I almost died. To have it taken about an inch in on each side and then shortened about 6” would cost me almost $100. Your granddaughter could make a lot of money when she grows up with her sewing skills. Unfortunately, I used to know how to sew, but I haven’t done it in a while. I did put in an elastic on a pair of PJ’s that I wear in the condo. Do you know that I had to look up how to do it? I’d forgotten. I really didn’t do that great a job, but the only person that’ll see me is Vince so I’m not concerned about that.

Question for anyone who machine quilts: Diane machine quilted Jess’ quilt not that I’m complaining, she did a great job for what she had to work with. But I did noticed that some of the stitches are smaller than the others. What causes that?

Lanette – whenever I do exercises for the shoulders, I usually use lighter weights since the shoulder muscles are smaller.

Lisa – glad to see you

So glad I brought my own food to jess’. She doesn’t have any fruit (except for a few grapes). I also did bring up food for her that I’ve been eating

Felicia – you can tell your 10yo (if he doesn’t already know it) that the football player, Rosie Greer (the refrigerator as he’s known) does needlepoint.

Drkatiebug – I know the funeral will be lovely with you doing the service

A friend of jess’ is over right now so I just went upstairs so they can visit.

Michele in NC now in VA until tomorrow
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Katie ~ So sorry for the loss of your cousin. You will do great at the funeral!

I think my Nesco pressure cooker is 6 qt. Because I am so short, I usually have to put it in the sink to load food. It does have a browning setting and a slow cook setting and a set the time to later setting.

Pip ~ I looked at your diary before you started closing it and I wonder if maybe you are not eating enough for all those calories you burn exercising. Maybe that's why you are so tired. I know it's none of my business, but just a thought.

Heather ~ Your son and DnL look so happy.

Please keep my Sis and I in your thoughts/prayers. It's about my mom's house we were in under her life estate.

Carol in GA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Heather, next recipe for the IP will either be hardboiled eggs or meatballs/pasta in sauce. Been reading lots of recipes on how to throw it all in the IP together so don't have to boil the macaroni separately. DH doesn't like spaghetti, he likes macaroni instead. We'll see. Still want to try stuffed meatballs but have some frozen meatballs in the freezer that need to be used. Love the photo of the kids at Wimbledon - they are having definitely having some fun!

DrKatiebug, I also found the Instant Pot too big to fit in the cupboard. Mine too lives in the pantry/laundry room and sits on the front-loading dryer. I used to have a huge food dehydrator up there that I rarely used so this is perfect. You are so sweet to do the service for your cousin. My SIL, who was a preacher's kid, did the service for my dad and did a great job - you will, too.

Carol
    - Prayers and hugs heading your way ref your mom's estate. Hope it gets resolved soon...always hard, especially with other relatives involved.

Michele - yes, I definitely use smaller weights for the overhead presses. I've been able to make good progress in the bicep curls and upward rows as far as slowly increasing the weight, but just have to accept the fact that I might be stuck at lighter weights on the shoulder stuff for quite a while. That's OK, I've still made progress from when I started. It's all good.

Well, we have one less cat now. I took our indoor kitty to the vet to be euthanized this morning. She had been losing weight for a while - likely had diabetes or worse - and had a lot of "behavioral issues" from the start - she was a rescue we took in when she was 6 and we gave her a good home for 6 more years. Hopefully once the cat hair gets swept up once and for all, my allergies will improve.

We still have a kitty who sleeps in DH's shop. She's friendly and DH's little buddy. In the winter when it's cold, she'll come in the house and sleep on the back of the sofa during the day, but goes back into the shop in the evening to eat/sleep/use her litter box and guard against mouse invasions. His shop is set up as an office with a nice recliner, heater, etc. Lap of luxury. When it comes her time to cross the rainbow bridge, she will be missed.

That's the latest.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Marcelyn - teaching your granddaughters to sew is marvelous. She did a great job on that little dress. Skills like that are invaluable. Seems the trend with sewing machines was to have "cams" for all kinds of fancy stitches. I am satisfied with my old machine which sews straight and zig-zags, which is plenty.

I've never met anyone who regretted learning how to sew but plenty of people who wished they had the skill. I started sewing when I was about 6 and have sewed ever since. I made most of my children's clothing and make most of my dresses still today. Shorts are a quick 30 minute throw together and I've done plenty of other stuff. I even used to make my husband's jeans, although I don't do that anymore.

I have four sewing machines and one serger. Seriously, four. One is my first machine which is in getting cleaned and will be passed on to a daughter. A second one is a heavy duty machine that I use to sew and repair heavy duty stuff, like jeans, work coats etc. I don't like to mess up my tension and nice machines with that. Then I have my mother's Bernina, she bought it in 1964 and it's the one my granddaughters use when they sew. Runs perfect and is pretty basic although it has a selection of fancy stitches. It's not electronic/computerized so it's easier for them to deal with. Then I have my nice newest Bernina which is computerized and has the option of adding on an embroidery module. I haven't done that because I really don't have a desire to do embroidery. It is amazing to sew with and I love it. My husband spoiled me with it as a birthday gift a few years ago. The granddaughters don't touch it. My serger is the fastest way to throw together some basic items and do do t-shirt material since it does the finished edge all in one step. I tend to do a lot of things by hand though. Old school....

Marcelyn
    sweltering in Houston humidity

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Peach- I'm not always tired just today. And yes, I know I didn't eat enough cards actually to sustain the energy I am giving out . I'm just getting old.... + I don't like eating any of the calories I burn
  • suetour
    suetour Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wife,Mother, Grandma no excuses.....looking forward
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Dr Katie - Have you got the 8qt? I keep my 6qt in the utility room where it doesn't loom at me. I like to have it out so I use it. I cooked my broccoli in it this evening. Perfect.
    Good luck for the funeral. <3<3<3

Heather UK. Xxxxxxx

Yes, the 8 quart. It's the one that was on sale on Prime Day. I may gather the courage to use it tomorrow!

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Machka – Louis and the boys do not want me to dye my hair anymore. It stayed dyed as long as I worked. I had it an auburn (which DH did not like); but, it was auburn when we met and married. I did a lot of things when I worked that I cannot afford to do now. Like having my nails done every 2 weeks. I’d pop for an occasional pedicure; but more often during the summer when I wore sandals. All 4 of my granddaughters have long hair and thick as thieves, too. I don’t think mine ever did much of anything after having 9 weeks of chemo after I lost my first baby. It thinned out; but pretty much all over. When I washed it that is when I noticed it most. Tried growing it out before the wedding so it could be ‘put up’. Tami did it and I was still pulling Bobbie pins out of it 4 days later. I guess the longest I had it was in HS; thick then, and wore it in a Farah Fawcett cut. I also streaked it, too.

Carol – I don’t think I ever wore my hair long enough to have a permanent. I had what they called a ‘pixie’ cut. Suzanne was the only one that had shoulder length hair (in HS). Both she and Margaret had longer hair.

I want to wear my hair ‘up’ in a ponytail; but the longer it got the thinner it got; and, it did not help to cut the ends. It still grows out in different areas faster than others, and, I must have been cleaned off by a cow at some point.

Taylor’s mother cut ‘bangs’ on her hair, whatever she was thinking I will never know. They were short, really short … even shorter than that lady that dresses up in a nude suit with only her intestines and drags another woman around. She cried until they grew out. She must have cut them ‘wet’ is the only reason I can think is why they turned out so short. The shorter her hair is the less manageable it is. She washes it and lets it dry, if she combs or brushes it … it sticks out. Most of the time she scrunches it. It has a lot of natural wave. My hair is bone-straight. Even my gray hair in fine.

Cracker’s toys are in a box as well. If I put the squirrel/duck that Louis will throw for her on the bottom, she will pull everything out. I wish I could ‘teach’ her to put them back in.

Allie – I would ‘love’ to be a ‘fly on the wall during TomCat’s deposition. Sure hope your attorney ‘rips him a new one’.

Mary – He might ‘look little’ but when you consider he is standing in a wheelbarrow you know he is big.

Michele – Glad that Jess’s surgery went well. With dogs she probably needs for you to stay. She doesn’t need to worry about walking them or having them jump up because they are happy to see her.
    Will and Tami ‘registered’ in Natchez, MS (closest to them, right across the River; but, for the most part people gave the ‘gift cards’ since they each had a houseful of stuff and did not really need too much. His big boss gave him one of those grills that it called an “Egg” because of its shape. Now he has about 4 grills; his DFnL made one for him and wrapped it in wood and made a table to one side so he could put things on it. He has another one that has burners. He can have a party cooking different things on different grills. His other 4 bosses either gave him ‘gift cards’ and one paid for them to have a ‘rental car’ and a ‘deep sea fishing trip’ while they were on their honeymoon. A client of Tami’s gave her a week at the condo she has there; so all they had to pay for was tickets in First Class (which costs a pretty penny). Tami surprised him with an ‘elk hunt in Colorado’ (I think that was where it was). She asked his bosses for permission before she did it. I’m sorry; but, I would not want someone to send money to a travel agency. Borrow the money, pay for it and then pay back the loan. Kids now-a-days have such ‘skewed’ ideas of what they want; and, don’t think about ‘proper etiquette in the process. I made my boys write ‘thank you notes’ when they were younger. Mallory is my only granddaughter who will write ‘thank you notes’ without being threatened to do so. We got one the other day that said while she had ‘thanked us over the phone, this was her ‘official thank you’. I try to stress proper etiquette to my children, especially Taylor, now that she will be going out into real life. Things like thank you notes and politeness is something that people will remember.

I notice that when I cooked chicken in mine; next time I will brown it. Also will do that for other things. The pressure cooker cookbook I bought said that things like ribs need to be boiled for a while; but, we do that when they are cooking out on the grill.

Louis likes his shorts to be ‘short’ because his inseam is less than 29”; the ones that might hit a taller man above the knees would hit Louis below or at the knee. I tell him that Tony could hem them (provided they don’t have those ‘side’ pockets.

I get nauseous if I am riding any other place than the front passenger seat if I am not driving. If there are 3 of us in the back, I want to be in the middle so I can see the road. When I was little and cars did not have seatbelts and most had bench seats front and back, I would stand in between Mother and Daddy until I got too big to do that, then I sat between my two older sisters and drove them ‘nuts’. Daddy used to call me ‘Len-O-Me’ because he would tell me “Don’t lean on me!” But, the nickname that stuck right up until he died was “Dale”. He rarely called me ‘Lenora’.

Both Jenn and Taylor search the Internet for symptoms. Taylor asked me about if there was anybody in our family who had something that was 4-letters (an acronym for a much longer name). I told her that I had never heard of it, so I couldn’t really tell her. I think my DDnL#1 contacted her Mother to find out family history, then she gave her, her telephone number after she told her to tell Taylor to call her.
    “Salvage Dawgs” are taking apart a house and you would not believe the things they are taking out of there. A bathroom sink and fixtures that original sold for several $1000s and a grapevine dining room chandelier. I remember watching them once, take down a log house, should have called the “Barn house Builders” for that job. Then one day on “Fixer Upper” someone had painted Pecky Cypress wood in the MBR white. Which looked hideous; but, I thought that Clint, their carpenter should have been called in to supervise Chip in taking it down. Our den and dining room are paneled in Pecky Cypress. Hard to find and very expensive. Sounds like some ‘decorator’ got to them. I know I can get an hour worth of ‘decorating advice’ whenever I buy furniture where I do; but, 2 of them that did come out told me to ‘take down the wall mounts’ and the other one told me to ‘paint’ the ‘shiplap’. I told her, first off, it was NOT ‘shiplap’ and I had no intentions on filling in the walls and painting it and certainly was not going to sheetrock over it.

Are you serious? Did Allie really give TomCat her cold? NOW … she needs to let him ‘doctor’ himself.

Needlepoint can be very relaxing to some. I could do that and cross-stitch and sew; but, I could never knit or crochet. I’d add or drop stitches on every row; and, everything turned out to be ‘catawampus’.

Katla – Is “Kissy PooP (whoops) [goes better with TomCat] going really going to ‘allow’ TomCat to move in with her? Yes, M-E-O-W, TomCat deserves whatever he gets {so does she]; he’s been ‘begging’ for it for years, now it is time for him to go lay in it. I think, at the ‘other woman’ that I’d be so upset from being ‘embarrassed’ in front of my co-workers that I would not want anything to do with TomCat. But, having TomCat move in with her might makes things worse for him, if it did go to court. I don’t think it will be good for his stance on a ‘settlement’. That’d be the ‘last place’ I would go since she was ‘also’ served with a subpoena. Was the deposition today?

This past 2 years both Louis and I have had a lot of claims on our health insurance. Then, to boot, I wrecked my Honda (twice). Then the door would not close sounding like a heavy door, started sounding like we were closing a tin can with no insulation. The body shop and insurance adjuster both came to the conclusion that I had to have run over a curb. I know I did not do it, Louis and Trey said they didn’t. Jenn ‘swears’ she did, and that would only leave Taylor to do it. Only other person to have driven it would have been one of the employees at the body shop (or maybe someone at Honda – which I doubt). But since the body shop man said that ‘if’ my insurance did not pay, he’d help me out. In the first wreck, I did run over a curb before I hit the utility pole. But, when Louis went to pick up the car, Trey drove off with it and he did not tell Louis that we owed anything and they talked for a little bit about it. You can’t even tell that the running board had been bowed up. At least it was not part of the frame. If it had been, they would have definitely ‘totaled’ the car.

Felicia – Glad that you are feeling better. Seems like a lot of you have been ‘under the weather’ lately. Hope all of you are feeling much better.

Katie – I messed up when I put uncooked rice in with my chicken and mushroom soup. It came out a bit ‘sticky’. I have a particular pot that I cook my rice in and nothing else. Will took the middle-sized one years ago and would ‘hide’ it when we came out there. Then, II asked him ‘what pot did he use when he cooked rice’; and, he pulled it out of the cabinet over the fridge. Then told me that I could not have it back. Didn’t matter because now I use the one my DMnL used. She’d cook enough when we went down to fill it up; then she’d ‘fluff’ it and could feed 4 adults with the rice in that pot. So with it being just the 2 of us, I don’t need any pot bigger.

Louis would literally eat rice 3x a day if I would cook it. His mother used to put the left-over rice in the scrambled eggs the next AM.

Marcelyn – Encourage your grandchildren to sew; and, my Mimi (even though she knew how to sew well) took sewing classes at the Singer Sewing Machine place in Macon after she moved down to be near Mother and Daddy. She started as if she never had sewn anything in the Beginner class and worked herself all the way up to ‘tailoring’ classes. She made beautiful clothes for herself and always used Vogue patterns. The one thing she told me about Vogue and maybe McCall’s is that you ‘have’ to follow the directions as written or else you’ll be ripping things out. Especially the Vogue. Said sometimes the directions just did not say what she would have normally done; but, twice of ripping out something, she started following the directions verbatim. Yeah, she’d make a ‘lot’ of money being a tailor. It costs me $10 to have a pair of pants hemmed or taken in. Last time I picked up a couple of pair of jeans for Louis he told me ‘oh, you don’t owe anything, that’s payback for Louis taking me somewhere (to meet his daughter). So that was $20 I put into my purse – for use at a later time. LOL!

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Mashca, I do t dare show your picture to my DH, he would be so jealous. He loved my long hair. For work I put it up in a pony tail a lot but it was pretty hard wearing a nurses cap. Yep. That was the days when we actually wore our caps we worked so hard for. I do still have mine.

I think my kitten thinks my house is a total playground. Even if there is an envelope. He has to try to go under, on topography, around and through. It doesn't matter how big or small or even if it is something I am saving.

The other night I finally got around to buying an address book and today I have transferred most of my passwords to it. Some of the websites I am finding I have two passwords to so I am going to have to log in and see which one works. The desk will look mush neater and I don't have to sort through this large pile of pieces of paper to find the one I want. Whoever sggusted it is a genius"

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    well I am feeling much better but still have a nasty cough.. in keeping the water flowing though..
    I have the weekend off..
    Lenora~ yes don't you worry My lawyer will make them both squirm thats for sure....
    and I am sure I will be filled in afterwards..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    joyce I just redid my password "notebook", it's a lifesaver

Lenora I've been growing my hair out and not dying it--soooo pricey. But I've decided to go back to color and back to my more professional "bob" haircut, I think I will look slightly younger.

Completely off the rails today, too much food and not enough exercise. Tomorrow I will put the boot on myself!!

NYKAREN

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Mary - is that a regular full sized wheelbarrow? Shep looks enormous!

Marcelyn – I too love my Bernina! With the business I sew for hours a week.

Katie – What an amazing gift you are giving your family by doing the service.

I love that some of you think I’m a genius with the address book/password idea… I like being a genius for a minute!

Karen NY – sounds like you need some hugs!!! (((((hug))))

Allie – I read your posts and am so thrilled by your strength and positive attitude

Lisa – sending (((((((((hugs)))))))) and care!

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

**wahoo hrm not recording right :0/ **

bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.26min, 14.1mph. 131mhr, 2.9mi = 94c
    apple watch- 90c
    ELIPTICAL- 20min, 119mhr, 2incline, 3resistance, 1810strides, 90average strides per min.,1.88mi = 150c
    apple watch- 163c
    bike ride gym 2 sumner station- 1hr 8min 52sec, 12.2amph, 143mhr, 14mi= 551c - that's off
    apple watch- 522c
    run sta 2 wk- 4.48min, 9.35min mi, 139ahr, .5mi = 19c wrong
    apple watch- 60c
    run wk 2 sta- 4.30min, 10.04min mi, .4mi = 25c WRONG
    apple watch- 61c
    bike ride done 2 hm- 18.20min, 8.5amph, 2.6mi = 21c WRONG
    apple watch- 160c

total cal 1108

I survived this day, whew!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    In a way I’m glad that I’ll be leaving tomorrow. There are just too too many temptations. I’m trying, I really am. So many times I've been tempted not to log something. But that one I've been good about resisting. I’ll be so so glad when these temptations aren’t right in front of me. When I get home, I do have to figure out what to make for dessert for Rummikub. I know that I’ll make a key lime pie, Vince’ll eat the leftovers of that. What else can I make that he’ll eat? Need to think on that one for a bit.

Lanette – Jess made pasta in the IP last night and it came out quite good. I had shirataki noodles. I’ve been exercising for quite a while and I’m STILL using lighter weights on the shoulders, especially bent over flys and I never go higher than 5lbs for rotator cuff I’m so sorry about your kitty. It’s so hard

Lenora – who didn’t wear the Farah Fawcett hairdo back then? Actually, she took the two larger dogs out by herself today. I’d take the smaller one out. Well, I know that she can handle them, that’s comforting to know. I don’t know if Allie did give Tom her cold or not….but I sure hope she did! Tom mentioned to Allie that Elena (is that her name?) evidently broke up with him. Is it true? Who knows? For that matter, who cares? I like to do most needlework, but I don’t find quilting to be relaxing at all. I’m not crazy about how plastic canvas looks, but I will do it.

Well, I should take the small dog out, get ready for bed. Tomorrow I want to leave early since I do consider it a mortal sin to pass by a rest area and not stop in. Well, for some reason I get so so thirsty in the car. I always drink a lot. And all those stops adds time to my trip.

Michele from NC who won’t be in VA much longer
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening my dear Friends,

Mary, Shep is such a handsome boy. I can’t believe how big he has gotten. He’s lucky to have such a loving home.

MicheleNC, I’m sure they will enjoy the honeymoon but if they don’t have the money for it maybe they could save that trip till later. LOL Not that young people think that way. Do they already have everything they need for their home? If not, it’s ashamed to miss the opportunity to get some things. I still have and use some gifts that I got for our wedding almost 49 years ago. Doing the cakes the way you described sounds like a fantastic idea. Do share a pic of them when finished.

Sue, glad you are feeling better. You are right that water washes away many sins and/or germs. Lol bottled-water-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kay, sorry about your cousin. I know you will do a wonderful job with the service.

Heather, I am so jealous of your son and DDIL being at Wimbledon. That is one of my dreams that I don’t expect to come true.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Went to the beach again and it was glorious. It was hotter than Wednesday but still not humid at the beach. Get two miles inland and it is stifling. We stayed about 3 ½ hours and I was good about applying sunscreen every time we dipped our feet in the water. No burn at all. sunscreen-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you. also ((((Hugs))))

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options