WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,218 Member
    Options
    KJ - We are going on a 16 night Baltic cruise. Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallinn, Germany, Holland (going to taxi to Haarlem) and a Danish fishing island. We are only taking organised trips in St Petersburg. One an orientation, one an evening visit with concert to the Hermitage and one the next day to three cathedrals.
    Otherwise we are doing it under our own steam. I hope to potter around the small German town and practise my German. I am 42% fluent right now. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Had a binge day yesterday! :D Mad at DH and took it out on food and drink! Sometimes, I just can't help it. Will get back on track today.

Margaret ~ Love the photos. I especially liked the sculpture of the birds. They looked so realistic.

Machka ~ Your hair is beautiful and you look so pretty in your hat. I have never ever had long hair. When my DnL looked at a picture of my first grade class (60+ yrs ago), she remarked that none of us girls had long hair. I guess we all had the perms for little girls that were popular in those days.

Dana & Terre ~ Pictures of you beautiful!

Insurance ~ We are so lucky! Being a retired teacher from GA, the retirement plan has somehow made insurance very affordable for retired teachers. I feel so blessed. I do feel that the cost of each procedure is rediculous. When I had my knee injections a while back, they charged $250 for the PA to stick the needle in. And, that wasn't the injection medicine.

Prayers for all who are facing physical and emotional problems.

Carol in GA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Machka - Beautiful hair, such a nice color, too! I've finally decided that a nice 'bob' with it stacked in the back is hat look best ono me and my DH likes it. Easy to fix and wash and blow out. My morning facial routine takes longer to do than my hair.

Lenora
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,891 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Machka ~ Your hair is beautiful and you look so pretty in your hat. I have never ever had long hair. When my DnL looked at a picture of my first grade class (60+ yrs ago), she remarked that none of us girls had long hair. I guess we all had the perms for little girls that were popular in those days.
    Machka - Beautiful hair, such a nice color, too! I've finally decided that a nice 'bob' with it stacked in the back is hat look best ono me and my DH likes it. Easy to fix and wash and blow out. My morning facial routine takes longer to do than my hair.

Lenora

Thanks!

I had short hair until I was in my early 20s, then I grew it out and discovered that it was so much easier to deal with, so it has stayed long. :)

The colour has changed a bit now ... it changes every 6 months or so. :grin: Naturally, I'm a mousy salt-and-pepper. I started going grey in my early 30s!! But I've been dying my hair since I was about 16, so I've just kept on. Right now it is quite dark underneath, with a reddish layer on top, and a blonde swath across the front. I got a bit creative. :lol:

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    TGIF!

Machka You have long beautiful hair! Love it. I keep mine shoulder length or longer now but I love long hair!
    When I was 12 years old my hair was pretty long and my mom took me and my sister to our aunt's house and she cut our hair. OMG! I hated it. It was so short and she styled it up into a duck-tail!! This was in 1961. From that day forward I refused to let my mom do anything to my hair!! I had my hair longer and longer. Then I was a hippie!

Allie I would like to be a fly on the wall today at Tomcat's deposition!

Heather I too was abused. I used to stare into mirrors until the point I would freak out like the image wasn't me. My abuser was my own father. I believe my mother knew. I was about 12 then and I was very shy around people mostly men.
    I hated my father and couldn't stand to be around him. Over time, 50 years, I forgave him. Never did he apologize, I guess I was expecting that to happen before he died. I think maybe he did in his own way like buying me a horse; we all went water skiing and even flying. He was a good provider, but I don't understand how he could do that to his daughter. I was unable to talk about it like people would think badly of me. But I don't care about that anymore.

Margaret The garden photos are beautiful! And the stained glass window is awesome!
    We have a botanical garden here run by the University of Arkansas. Garvin Woodland Gardens sits on 300 acres on Lake Catherine. It so beautiful!
    I'll try to find pictures for you. If you are ever in central Arkansas, it's a must see!

Carol Just get back to tracking. It's hard eating out! You'll be ok!

Heather. I have cousins in Denmark. We share my maternal great grandmother. One sister came to America and the other stayed in Copenhagen. I hope some day I can go visit. We are friends on Facebook and stay in contact.

I guess I'll get up. I've been reading all the posts and typing for 40 minutes! Dolly jumped on the bed and is pawing at me to get up!

Funny thing. I put a basket in the living room for Dolly's toys. I filled it up and as soon as she saw me doing that she came over and took them out! I would throw one back in and she would go over and get it out. Not to play with it mind you but just took it out and placed on the floor where it was and walked off! So funny! Coonhounds! So funny!

Have a happy day!!
    Dana in Arkansas

Treeing Walker Coonhounds:
    j25zrfxsxe78.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    Shep looks tiny from this angle but huge compared to the wheel barrow!

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    In VA right now. Surgery went well, doc doesn't see any problem. Actually, Jess keeps telling me to go home today but she now has two large dogs to take care of in addition to the little dog so I'm glad that I'm staying. Been exercising every day but probably not that intensely. Have to modify.

I'll probably just skim to try to catch up so please excuse me. Plan to leave tomorrow.

I guess it's just me, but I'm not used to eating real late at night. And then to go for ice cream! They wanted to the other night, but I just didn't have anything. Trying to be good about choices.

Heather - I like Aldi for some of their things. The canned goods are a good bargain, the baking goods, some cereals, condiments. It's hit-or-miss on fruits. Usually they're pretty good on produce. Lidl is supposed to be coming our way, can't wait. Like you, we usually have leftovers but they are predestined for future meals and into the freezer they go right after they are cooked.

Jess just informed me that I'm going to be baking the cake for the shower...lol! She saw this cake on Pinterest where the body is the cake and I know I have a pan like that, so I'm thinking that I'll make two. She had a good suggestion, she suggested making one vanilla and the other chocolate, then cutting them in 2 or 3 sections so each cake is vanilla and chocolate. What a good idea! I'm thinking that I can probably use my cake leveler to make the cuts

Regarding feeling bad after eating something (like pizza), I was feeling really really full yesterday, I had two brownies. Didn't really care for any dinner, was feeling too full.

Personally, I am not a fan of the red beets, but I LOVE the golden beets.

Lenora - the wedding is the last Friday in Oct (don't remember the exact date right now). Can't come soon enough for me! Denise wants everyone to pay for her honeymoon instead of giving her gifts at her bridal shower. Personally, I think that's tacky. Register somewhere and give people the option -- I think that's fine. But asking for money? Not fine. She's after Jess as to when the shower will be since she needs to have the money by the 15th. Why she didn't just set up a go-fund-me account so that if the shower was after the date she needs to pay for the honeymoon in full, she could then get the money and put it towards something else. But she just wants people to send the money to the travel agency. Whatever...... Jess got the inserts for the bridal shower telling about donating. The travel agency made them up. They look like a 2yr old made them. Jess is going to redo them so at least they look decent. Guess they never heard to copy&paste!

Probably the only problem with the Instantpot just like a pressure cooker is that it doesn't brown the meat. You have to prebrown it, then put it in the pot. But otherwise, it's probably really great. I know I love my pressure cooker.

tere - gorgeous pic

I don't look good in capris. Like my shorts about 5" long. Don't like the bermuda shorts, either. But love wearing shorts

Got jess to go with me to the ceramics place in Haymarket. I didn't know that she got nautious in the car or I wouldn't have asked her to go! But I was thinking that it would be good for her to get out of the house someplace nonstressful

When Vince is sick he's on the Internet researching everything. Me? I don't bother because then I do think that I'm in the throes of dying

Heather - I hate when I leave the door to the freezer a cracked open. Actually, our freezer and refrig will give you a "ding" if the door is left open for too long.

KJ - that's horrible about the law not paying!

Allie - my heart just breaks for Tom <snicker> Be sure to cough near him!! Something good might as well come from your being sick..Update: Hope your getting better because you gave it to tom

Dana beautiful in 82 and today

Guess I should take the small dog out. Seem he needs to go out quite often or else he pees in the house. And I don't want that. When we got back from the hosp he had pooped in the house. Fortunately, Jess knows that he's prone to doing this so she put him in the kitchen.

Michele from NC now in VA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Mary love the picture!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday. Off to lunch with golf friends. Took Mucinex yesterday and feel better today.
    Heather - we did the Baltic cruise out of Amsterdam. First night the ship hit a cable while going through the locks to the North Sea. Long story short everyone had to be send home and they paid all expenses. We went 6 weeks later on a different ship. Great cruise, you will enjoy every country.
    Mary- either a big dog or small wheel barrow. Lol.
    Allie-I am beging to feel better also. Keep drinking the water.
    Better get going. Have a great day.
    SueBDew in TX
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Michele - You can brown the meat/chicken etc in an Instant Pot. There is a SAUTÉ button, which does different temperatures. What I like about it is you can just set a time for the pressure cooking and there is no danger if you forget it. It keeps food warm for hours if you want that. I have risen bread in it and sprouted seeds (yum - just had some in a wrap with my Greek yoghurt I made) I don't think you should get one though as it is PERFECT for cheesecake. I can see you supplying the neighbourhood! :D<3<3 (I have resisted so far ) I am eyeing the Limoncello recipe. :o;)>:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    <3Happy Friday ladies! <3

Margaret - great photos! Love the sculpture and church windows and garden tours are my favorite. I saw bee balm and hyssop in the one photo...my bee balm is about a week away from blooming I think. Plants aren't doing well, too wet here during the winter and the roots are rotten, but hope to get a few blooms.

Heather - I'm afraid I'd worry myself into a state like your DH going on a cruise. He's lucky to have you as the coordinator ;-).

Machka
    - love your long hair, so thick and healthy. You look great in those hats!!

Joyce - so happy your kitten is doing well.

Sharon
    - great to see you here again! Please fill us in on your work situation when you get a chance.

Marcelyn - teaching your granddaughters to sew is marvelous. She did a great job on that little dress. Skills like that are invaluable. Seems the trend with sewing machines was to have "cams" for all kinds of fancy stitches. I am satisfied with my old machine which sews straight and zig-zags, which is plenty.

Lisa - happy travels!

NY Karen
    - good luck with your interview on Monday! It helps being on the interviewer side of the panel and knowing how the questioning can go, tho I always tried to make it fun. But still, so glad I'll never have to sit in the hot seat again. B)

Finished my leg strengthening regimen a little while ago, will do the upper body in a bit. Bicep curls aren't bad, but lifting weights over my head are a struggle...I have to slow down and breathe, otherwise I can get light-headed. But am making progress.

After I took off those 12# ankle weights and walked back into the house, I marveled at how "light" I felt and remembered how good it felt to lose pounds in the past. My highest weight was in the 190's....lowest around 130 (too low! Anorexic!).

My eating has not been the best lately, but I credit exercise and weights with upping my metabolism a bit and thankfully my weight has not gone up. Totally off blood pressure meds now.

Woke up to 44 degrees this morning, expecting a high of 83.

Make it a great day!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good morning, all. I'm feeling a little better. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I do not enjoy weight lifting, but I have been trying to incorporate it into my routine. I need to be more diligent about doing it three days a week.

I have my 16 year old back home after his four week visit to Kansas. I was really missing him.

We get our greenhouse delivered tomorrow!!! We are so excited.

NYKaren - Good job stopping the binge. These things happen.

Allie -- I hope you continue feeling better. 6 pounds lost is an upside. :wink:

Katla -- Horse riding sounds wonderful. It looks like it will be hot today, after our couple days of relative coolness.

Lanette -- Congrats on being off bp medication! I hope I can get there.

Machka -- I also love your hair! So pretty.

Dana -- How funny about Dolly! We have a dog who won't play fetch and a cat who will. Last night at dinner, she brought one of her gloves to my husband, dropped it, waited for him to throw it, went after it and wrestled it for a few minutes, and then brought it back to him to throw again. She is crazy!

Marcelyn -- I love that you taught your granddaughter to sew. One of the things my 10 year old was excited for while visiting my mother is that she has been teaching him embroidery. He loves it, and it gives them something quiet to do together while he's there.

Heather -- your cruise sounds lovely.

I know I've missed so much; work has been a little hectic this week.

eta: As a relative newbie, I wish a warm welcome to the other new ladies.

Everyone enjoy your Friday!

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Lanette - We are going on the exact same ship, in the exact same cabin as last time! I hoped that would help his nerves. It would be nice if some of the personnel are the same. Last time it was all just about perfect. <3
    How are you doing with the IP?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Lanette yes it is be balm and hyssop they planted these right outside their vegetable garden the raise food for the food shelf. They are perfect pollinators. I have pink bee balm and it is full bloom now. I have so much shade that it brightens up the spot it is in. I have some else I call pinks. Their foliage is similar to phlox. They have a spike like flower that smells wonderful just like milkweed. It is in bloom too.

Heather have a wonderful trip!

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Dr Katie - Have you got the 8qt? I keep my 6qt in the utility room where it doesn't loom at me. I like to have it out so I use it. I cooked my broccoli in it this evening. Perfect.
    Good luck for the funeral. <3<3<3

Heather UK. Xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    Karla thx, that was sweet of u to say that. I swear I was tired this morning but I feel no matter how much I complain to my inner self I still manage to keep going. In this case, I really didn't want to ride into work, I was just plain tired. But I find that I am just on auto pilot and rode the 14miles into work anyway. I know I don't have to. I guess I'll have plenty of time to take a break when I die