Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I suppose I fall somewhere in the middle as to holistic being able to treat disorders. There are some disorders/illnesses that should be treated with medications/antibiotics. Strep throat for example. Could this be treated holistically? I'm sure it could and has been, but having that holistic remedy fail can lead to serious complications (rhumatic fever etc). A simple course of antibiotics could take care of it.

Those antibiotics can lead to their own set of issues though, such as oral thrush and/or poor gut health due to killing off the good bacteria. In this instance I feel diet and a holistic approach can help this issue of re-establishing the body's balance and normal flora.

If traditional medicine isn't helping a condition, I don't see anything wrong with trying a different approach.

The thing is, you don't need pseudoscience for that (let alone pseudoscience aimed at clearing your pockets). You don't need to be told you have candida overgrowth, which you may not have. There are several species and strains in the gut and the imbalance may have nothing to do with candida, which is the only thing a holistic practitioner would narrowly jump to. I would be interested in research on supplementing with specific probiotics with or after specific antibiotic use and if that could be part of the treatment if there is merit.

Take it from me, and I won't even ask for their asking price ($99.99 should be enough): eat your vegetables and yogurt and you will hopefully be okay in a couple of weeks. And I didn't even need to study chakras to come up with that!

I think I might have mis-understood the way in which "holistic approach" is being used. When I said a holistic approach could be used to restore gut flora, I meant exactly what you described (eating yogurt, fermented foods, probiotics etc). Isn't that considered a holistic approach (seriously asking)?

I guess I specifically meant paying money for sound common sense advice sandwiched in fringe ideas and imaginary illnesses where you go in for advice about post-antibiotic care and come out with advice about post-antibiotic care (that may or may not be valid) plus a host of other unsubstantiated diagnoses and unnecessary treatments and a lighter wallet.

What you're describing is like a psychiatrist who prescribes medications for a certain issue then encourages the patient to include exercise a few times a week as a prophylactic measure when weaning off the medication if no longer needed. Or someone with a mild case of diarrhea making sure to drink enough water to rehydrate. Sound advice that doesn't involve medications but doesn't come attached with all sorts of pseudoscience and a large bill.

If you meant health supporting non-pharmaceutical practices, then I'm with you. There is nothing wrong with those (as long as they're not fully replacing real medical care or introducing/removing substances for which safety is unknown).
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I suppose I fall somewhere in the middle as to holistic being able to treat disorders. There are some disorders/illnesses that should be treated with medications/antibiotics. Strep throat for example. Could this be treated holistically? I'm sure it could and has been, but having that holistic remedy fail can lead to serious complications (rhumatic fever etc). A simple course of antibiotics could take care of it.

Those antibiotics can lead to their own set of issues though, such as oral thrush and/or poor gut health due to killing off the good bacteria. In this instance I feel diet and a holistic approach can help this issue of re-establishing the body's balance and normal flora.

If traditional medicine isn't helping a condition, I don't see anything wrong with trying a different approach.

The thing is, you don't need pseudoscience for that (let alone pseudoscience aimed at clearing your pockets). You don't need to be told you have candida overgrowth, which you may not have. There are several species and strains in the gut and the imbalance may have nothing to do with candida, which is the only thing a holistic practitioner would narrowly jump to. I would be interested in research on supplementing with specific probiotics with or after specific antibiotic use and if that could be part of the treatment if there is merit.

Take it from me, and I won't even ask for their asking price ($99.99 should be enough): eat your vegetables and yogurt and you will hopefully be okay in a couple of weeks. And I didn't even need to study chakras to come up with that!

I think I might have mis-understood the way in which "holistic approach" is being used. When I said a holistic approach could be used to restore gut flora, I meant exactly what you described (eating yogurt, fermented foods, probiotics etc). Isn't that considered a holistic approach (seriously asking)?

I guess I specifically meant paying money for sound common sense advice sandwiched in fringe ideas and imaginary illnesses where you go in for advice about post-antibiotic care and come out with advice about post-antibiotic care (that may or may not be valid) plus a host of other unsubstantiated diagnoses and unnecessary treatments and a lighter wallet.

What you're describing is like a psychiatrist who prescribes medications for a certain issue then encourages the patient to include exercise a few times a week as a prophylactic measure when weaning off the medication if no longer needed. Or someone with a mild case of diarrhea making sure to drink enough water to rehydrate. Sound advice that doesn't involve medications but doesn't come attached with all sorts of pseudoscience and a large bill.

If you meant health supporting non-pharmaceutical practices, then I'm with you. There is nothing wrong with those (as long as they're not fully replacing real medical care or introducing/removing substances for which safety is unknown).
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I would distinguish between the idea of a holistic approach (focusing on lifestyle), which I think is great and few would argue with, and what OP is asking about -- so-called "holistic practitioners" who diagnose things like candida overgrowth or adrenal fatigue or leaky gut that medical doctors don't recognize at all, and that supposedly requires "detox" and a special diet and often some very sketchy and expensive supplements.

Note: by special diet here I don't mean a sensible, healthy diet or focusing on how eating particular ways makes you feel.

Thank you both for explaining. You both explained what I was trying to say much better than I did.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think for some people (not all) they turn to holistic medicine when western medicine fails to cure them (some refuse western medicine all together from the beginning). They may have tried the western medicine approach with no success, and out of desperation/lack of alternatives they try the holistic approach.

I'm not one to shun traditional medicine. I do think antibiotics and other medications are over prescribed as a whole, but they are necessary in many cases. If I exhausted the western medicine practices, I can't say I wouldn't try the holistic approach.

I can't say whether the OP is being scammed or not. Only she can really determine that. I don't think I'd pay for those courses when much of that information seems to be readily available online and reading of books (unless of course she is trying to become "certified").

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of holistic practice I can get behind.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3702459/

It’s allowing traditional practice concurrently with conventional medicine.

To be fair to your doctor, mention all supplements you are taking.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Interestingly when the native bands signed treaty with Canada at the turn of the 19th century, they insisted on a “Medicine Chest” clause.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_6

To me this speaks to the native recognition of the value of western medicine.
This discussion has been closed.