Gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Couple things stand out for me.

First I can take up to 10min of rest between heavy singles on deadlift. Most of the time it's only like 3 minutes but when I pull closer to 5 plates I need time to recover. I might be sitting on a box looking at the phone but in reality, I am coming down from a place that taxed the *kitten* out of my body getting to. Thing is most in my gym understand and if they see 4+ plates they just leave you alone.

Another is the no grunting thing. Hell in my gym people swear, grunt, and seethe at the bar all the time. Noone screams but from experience it happens. I know I grunt at 485 deadlifts and swear when I miss 495. I guess it depends on your gym. I don't go to anything like a Planet Fitness and don't expect you to go to a powerlifting gym if a bit of grunting or a dropped barbell during Oly lifts upsets you.

Sounds like my gym or what I like to call, "my happy place"
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    If I'm sitting on a machine using my phone you can be sure that I'm resting and also writing notes about my last set; areas of improvement, what felt good, what didn't, how heavy the weight felt etc. I won't be texting, on social media or trying to topple a govt.

I always allow people to jump in because it's the friendly thing to do and because when I'm resting, that's time that the machine isn't being used and quite clearly could be. I have rested for 5mins between sets before, when I've been lifting at my max. I'll offer to let people jump in if it seems to me that they are (clearly) waiting/hovering. If they say no, I'll explain that I'll be resting for X minutes anyway so it would probably be to their advantage to jump in. Some people still decline which is OK.

However, it would be useful if people met me half way and made their intentions clear. I'm not a mind reader. Im trying to concentrate on my form and what i need to do so I don't injure myself. Don't just silently rage inside because you don't have the courage to ask me if you can jump in or how long I'll be. That's not my fault. Also once I've explained the situation and given you a second chance to change your mind, don't say no and then silently rage and eventually explode. Or do, I'll just find it amusing.

This can't be stressed enough. Sure, I'm annoyed when both squat racks are being used, especially if somebody is using them for curls, but I usually ask "How many sets do you have left?" or "Would you mind if I worked in?". I'm not sure I've ever had a negative response when taking this approach.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    There's also something to be said (and I might get flamed for this, so be it) that it's great when there is a certain energy in the gym and there is a lot of people training hard and just busting *kitten*. When some joker is lounging around and surfing on their smartphone, it does nothing for the gym's collective vibe.

This.
    I basically picked a new gym when I figured out I wanted to lift so that I could be somewhere with this vibe.

There are some SERIOUSLY scary-looking people in my gym, lifting some seriously huge weights. Almost all of them are absolutely lovely, are happy to let you work in (if it's an easy to change machine, or the fact that my favourite pull up bar is in a power cage), or spot your last bench press set if they're resting.
    It's my happy place.
    It's also in a basement with no phone reception and the staff refuse to give out the wifi code, so anyone messing with their phone for longer than it takes to make a note of the last set is just faffing around. Makes it much easier to tell!

As long as people who are lifting 4+ plates take them off the bar when they're done. Or at least rack the bar low enough that I can reach to do it myself! :D

(And SUPER glad I have no idea what the circuit machine set up thing mentioned above even is...)
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I find that other powerlifters don't mind asking to work in, but those members that do a more bodybuilding type workout won't ask, but I see them watching and waiting for me to finish. I've offered to work in with them because I take long breaks in between sets, but they always decline. So I no longer offer.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    There's also something to be said (and I might get flamed for this, so be it) that it's great when there is a certain energy in the gym and there is a lot of people training hard and just busting *kitten*. When some joker is lounging around and surfing on their smartphone, it does nothing for the gym's collective vibe.

This.
    I basically picked a new gym when I figured out I wanted to lift so that I could be somewhere with this vibe.

There are some SERIOUSLY scary-looking people in my gym, lifting some seriously huge weights. Almost all of them are absolutely lovely, are happy to let you work in (if it's an easy to change machine, or the fact that my favourite pull up bar is in a power cage), or spot your last bench press set if they're resting.
    It's my happy place.
    It's also in a basement with no phone reception and the staff refuse to give out the wifi code, so anyone messing with their phone for longer than it takes to make a note of the last set is just faffing around. Makes it much easier to tell!

As long as people who are lifting 4+ plates take them off the bar when they're done. Or at least rack the bar low enough that I can reach to do it myself! :D

(And SUPER glad I have no idea what the circuit machine set up thing mentioned above even is...)

So, what do these seriously scary looking people who are lifting seriously huge weights do in those 2 - 3 (or longer) minutes between sets? Do they stare at their feet, each other, the wall clock? My app doesn't require a connection and I'd still be staring at the timer. lol... and I guarantee if they are lifting 80%+ of their 1RM they aren't taking 15 or 30 sec rests.

Some days at my gym, and last night was a great example. There were no man-bun spider monkeys flitting around playing with pink dumbbells. Everybody was lifting heavy and there were very long moments where it was dead silent as people just sat there resting between sets - or like me, paced back and forth catching their breath. I like to pace back and forth if there is no danger of a spider monkey trying to slide in 5 secs before I start a new set. ;)

edit: The "circuit" thing setup I've only ever heard about in gyms like Planet Fitness. It's actually a designated area. Unfortunately, it seems that lately, even in regular gyms, you see a lot of people attempting circuit type workouts even when the place is busy. It's one of my greatest annoyances at the gym.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    However, it would be useful if people met me half way and made their intentions clear. I'm not a mind reader. Im trying to concentrate on my form and what i need to do so I don't injure myself. Don't just silently rage inside because you don't have the courage to ask me if you can jump in or how long I'll be. That's not my fault. Also once I've explained the situation and given you a second chance to change your mind, don't say no and then silently rage and eventually explode. Or do, I'll just find it amusing.

If you're waiting for a machine, apparatus, or other equipment that's being used you have to ask, politely; "How much longer do you have?" or "Can I work in?" I've sometimes responded, just two more sets, but that guy over there asked before you.

Yea I've no problem with people asking. Just the silent racers that amuse me. I've had the situation where someone has asked me how many sets I've got, I've told them I've got a few sets left and offered to let them work in. They've declined but asked me to let them know when I'm finished. Then someone else has asked to work in. I'm always tempted to say yes but I have to explain to them that someone else is waiting for me to finish.

It makes things a little complicated when others don't want to work in and I've still got a few sets to go, and then someone else wants to jump in with me.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

This.

It's my happy place.

So, what do these seriously scary looking people who are lifting seriously huge weights do in those 2 - 3 (or longer) minutes between sets? Do they stare at their feet, each other, the wall clock? My app doesn't require a connection and I'd still be staring at the timer. lol... and I guarantee if they are lifting 80%+ of their 1RM they aren't taking 15 or 30 sec rests.

Some days at my gym, and last night was a great example. There were no man-bun spider monkeys flitting around playing with pink dumbbells. Everybody was lifting heavy and there were very long moments where it was dead silent as people just sat there resting between sets - or like me, paced back and forth catching their breath. I like to pace back and forth if there is no danger of a spider monkey trying to slide in 5 secs before I start a new set. ;)

edit: The "circuit" thing setup I've only ever heard about in gyms like Planet Fitness. It's actually a designated area. Unfortunately, it seems that lately, even in regular gyms, you see a lot of people attempting circuit type workouts even when the place is busy. It's one of my greatest annoyances at the gym.

I'm sure that you are considerate, but the "frantic/stressed out/angry/ intense" pacer has moved up my list of most annoying people at the gym. We get it, there is nervous energy that can't be contained sitting down or standing, but awkwardly crossing paths and near-misses with people who are walking with purpose between stations is just bad etiquette.
  • PAFC84
    Options
    naculp wrote: »
    If I'm sitting on a machine using my phone you can be sure that I'm resting and also writing notes about my last set; areas of improvement, what felt good, what didn't, how heavy the weight felt etc. I won't be texting, on social media or trying to topple a govt.

I always allow people to jump in because it's the friendly thing to do and because when I'm resting, that's time that the machine isn't being used and quite clearly could be. I have rested for 5mins between sets before, when I've been lifting at my max. I'll offer to let people jump in if it seems to me that they are (clearly) waiting/hovering. If they say no, I'll explain that I'll be resting for X minutes anyway so it would probably be to their advantage to jump in. Some people still decline which is OK.

This can't be stressed enough. Sure, I'm annoyed when both squat racks are being used, especially if somebody is using them for curls, but I usually ask "How many sets do you have left?" or "Would you mind if I worked in?". I'm not sure I've ever had a negative response when taking this approach.

Agreed- most people are happy to let others work in. Occasionally you get a miserable sod who doesn't want to work in or let others work in. In an ideal world we'd all like to have the bench or rack to ourselves but that's not always reality.

I did have some guy ask to join in, I said yes and went to stand out of the way as the bench is between other machines and I didn't want to crowd him. He took this to mean I'd finished, so after his set he left his towel on the bench and went to the cable pull down to superset. I moved his towel to continue with my sets and he started asking me what I was doing and telling me how he's using the bench. I had to point out to him that he was jumping in with me, not the other way round, so I'm finishing my sets. He got all defensive after that and started telling me how he'd thought I'd finished etc. It felt good to put him in his place as he was much bigger than me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In that case, you should be all over the bench while he's doing his set. Maybe even spot him like so:

dbbee3a9fb25f09017f5bc4e16958de4--workout-fitness-workout-motivation.jpg
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

This.

It's my happy place.

I'm sure that you are considerate, but the "frantic/stressed out/angry/ intense" pacer has moved up my list of most annoying people at the gym. We get it, there is nervous energy that can't be contained sitting down or standing, but awkwardly crossing paths and near-misses with people who are walking with purpose between stations is just bad etiquette.

I've never awkwardly crossed paths with anybody or had a near miss. In my gym we have a surprising amount of space around each bench and machine. I've been in cramped gyms and I wouldn't do it there and I certainly don't leave my position when it's crowded. Besides, I'm talking about just "walking out" a hard set. Not doing a victory lap or pacing back and forth red in the face angrily slapping myself while chest bumping innocents. ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »

Lol! You know what bothers me? People that daintily lift light weights, barely breaking a sweat or even breathing hard and continue to look the same week after week, month after month, year after year.

It’s threads like these that reminds me why I either lift at home or at gyms without genpop.

SMH

(That gets me too.)

What bothers you about it?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

This.

It's my happy place.

I've never awkwardly crossed paths with anybody or had a near miss. In my gym we have a surprising amount of space around each bench and machine. I've been in cramped gyms and I wouldn't do it there and I certainly don't leave my position when it's crowded. Besides, I'm talking about just "walking out" a hard set. Not doing a victory lap or pacing back and forth red in the face angrily slapping myself while chest bumping innocents. ;)

Not even an occasional headbutting of that old dude half asleep on the recumbent cycle? :D
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Since I'm a smaller female, it isn't realistic to work-in on free weights for me. But if I ask them to let me know when they are done and tell them where I will be, they are all over finding me. Not to mention helping me load my weights.
  • PAFC84
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    Since I'm a smaller female, it isn't realistic to work-in on free weights for me. But if I ask them to let me know when they are done and tell them where I will be, they are all over finding me. Not to mention helping me load my weights.

To be honest, I'm quite happy for a "smaller female" or anyone else to work in. I'll just strip the bar down. Its not hard work or annoying but I understand that people, and maybe especially women, aren't always comfortable about a strength disparity or may feel like they're being judged or causing a nuisance. I hope that doesn't sound patronising. I'm not a built guy by any means.
  • PAFC84
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    In that case, you should be all over the bench while he's doing his set. Maybe even spot him like so:

dbbee3a9fb25f09017f5bc4e16958de4--workout-fitness-workout-motivation.jpg

Unfortunately with the flat bench or my gym, its more likely that I'd end up falling on top of them. Its really badly designed from a spotting perspective. It has a slightly raised platform which means you're leaning down if the bar is near their chest, which isn't a stable position. Plus because the platform is raised there is no place for your feet which added with bending over means you can end up toppling forward.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

To be honest, I'm quite happy for a "smaller female" or anyone else to work in. I'll just strip the bar down. Its not hard work or annoying but I understand that people, and maybe especially women, aren't always comfortable about a strength disparity or may feel like they're being judged or causing a nuisance. I hope that doesn't sound patronising. I'm not a built guy by any means.

Not at all. But if I have something I can do somewhere else, I will. On a machine I will work in. But on Free weights it seems quicker and saves trouble for them just to give me a shout.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

The most productive period of strength training I have ever had was in my late 20s with a friend who was a complete monster (powerlifter and bodybuilder). When we alternated we would be stripping a lot of plates off for my sets, but it was very motivating, I learned a lot, and I had great results. So I wouldn't worry about the size of the weights you are using (it sounds like the men in your gym are very accommodating in helping you out, with the weights loading service and all, lol).
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

Don’t interrupt people when they are in the middle of a set

Wipe equipment don’t after use (nobody wants to lay in your sweat & dandruff)

If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

Don’t think it’s okay to use 3 machines at the same time when people are waiting to use them.

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post. But it honestly seems like common sense & courtesy to me.

YES! And "No loud grunting or dropping weights!"

FFS it's right there on the wall. I hear dudes practically having anal aneurysms and then drop their weights and it annoys the *kitten* out of me.

I'm a 5'5" 130 lb chick and I grunt. Loud. Lifting heavy weight, it's sometimes necessary.
  • lar25473
    lar25473 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

I guess I'm a bad gym-goer, but I do this and I didn't realize it bothered people! Can anyone explain why this could be annoying? As a female I have a tendency to try to choose machines nearest to other females to comfort myself and my anxiety around unknown males.