Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I must be going nuts.... I could have sworn that 99.9999999% of posts I've seen regarding calories for weight loss also mentioned the importance of eating a nutritious diet for good health... As well as recommending slower rates of loss, adequate protein and resistance training to help maintain muscle...

This.

OP sounds like yet another person who doesn't understand what CICO is and makes weird assumptions about it.

Yes, obviously not a good idea to diet irresponsibly, as is said over and over on this site. That doesn't mean CICO is "overrated," it means that there are other things to keep in mind too. That it is important to keep gas in my car if I want it to go doesn't mean that following traffic laws is overrated.

Everyone who "eats clean" seems to think that CIOC, IIFYM, and free eating/calorie counting are just other terms for eating Twinkies and donuts all day. No matter how much we tell them the nutrition is separate from the calories and that, yes, eat your vegetables, they still hear "eat garbage and lose weight".

OP is taking it even a step further -- if someone does CICO, they will cut calories irresponsibly low and lose muscle. So CICO means you will try to get as close to eating nothing as possible? Weird.

I think op is projecting. Just because she did it means of course EVERYONE is.

This is what bugs me about these posts. The posters who misinterpreted what CICO means and/or made poor personal choices about how to apply the principles now want to school the rest of us abou how we should be giving advice. Similar to the thread last week where a poster filled their day with “diet” foods, weren’t satiated, then wanted to educate everyone about how CICO isn’t complete advice. Which no one, no one ever says that CICO is the whole story for weight loss, health, fitness and satiety.

Can people really not understand that? Is there no critical thinking applied at all? No further reading - just take the one line “CICO is all that matters for weight loss” at face value and that’s it?

Funny story:
    When I first started counting calories, the first few days I was really hungry because I ran out of calories early in the day.
    What did I do? I went to the store and bought foods that were lower calorie per volume and more filling.
    No one had to tell me that it was important to choose foods that left me satisfied.

I figured it out myself because I’m a sentient adult.

Carlos_421, this was my experience as well. I'm baffled when fellow commenters don't have this experience.

it's why I don't eat oatmeal- people are like "sticks to the ribs makes you full bla bla bla"

oatmeal = insta hungry.

which is why SURPRISE! I don't eat it anymore.

people like to make this harder than it needs to be I think.

And it keeps me full for hours, which is why everyone needs to experiment for themselves.
    Oatmeal is super weird for me... it's mainly carbs, which means as a diabetic I should find that it raises my blood sugar. But according to my testing it raises it hardly at all, and sometimes it's even lower an hour after eating oatmeal than it was an hour before. It's mystifying. I assume it has something to do with fiber. Since rice, on the other hand, does really spike my sugar, I've started using steel cut oats in what used to be rice dishes, such as jambalaya and red beans with rice. I have yet to attempt steel cut oat sushi but plan to try that next. So far it's like a magic trick for keeping my levels low.

Anyway, I wonder if the lower than expected impact on blood glucose could be connected to the reason some people feel hungry and some don't.

Yeah, that's really interesting.

I don't have blood sugar issues at all, but I do find carbs vary a ton as to how satiating they are, and it's not just fiber. I find fruit pretty satiating -- I know many do not -- and oats (and green veg, but they are high fiber for the calories) and potatoes (plain and roasted, anyway). Bread is not. Rice and pasta, no clue, since I've never just eaten them on their own.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I always eat oatmeal but on a whim I added some butter and was full until lunch. Fat is where it's at. LOL

Peanut butter works too!

Or avocado! JK

Ya know what? Some warm oats, chopped avocado, salt, and hot sauce? I'd eat that.

That sounds delicious. I adore avocados to an almost obsessive point. I'd have to add some protein in there. Maybe some eggs.

Oooo, with a fried egg or two on top. Hopefully avocados will be a decent price this weekend, I want this now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Protein ... fat ... carbs ... unicorn poo .... none of them satiate me ... I am always hungry.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate and real.

• EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I must be going nuts.... I could have sworn that 99.9999999% of posts I've seen regarding calories for weight loss also mentioned the importance of eating a nutritious diet for good health... As well as recommending slower rates of loss, adequate protein and resistance training to help maintain muscle...

This.

OP sounds like yet another person who doesn't understand what CICO is and makes weird assumptions about it.

Yes, obviously not a good idea to diet irresponsibly, as is said over and over on this site. That doesn't mean CICO is "overrated," it means that there are other things to keep in mind too. That it is important to keep gas in my car if I want it to go doesn't mean that following traffic laws is overrated.

Everyone who "eats clean" seems to think that CIOC, IIFYM, and free eating/calorie counting are just other terms for eating Twinkies and donuts all day. No matter how much we tell them the nutrition is separate from the calories and that, yes, eat your vegetables, they still hear "eat garbage and lose weight".

OP is taking it even a step further -- if someone does CICO, they will cut calories irresponsibly low and lose muscle. So CICO means you will try to get as close to eating nothing as possible? Weird.

I think op is projecting. Just because she did it means of course EVERYONE is.

This is what bugs me about these posts. The posters who misinterpreted what CICO means and/or made poor personal choices about how to apply the principles now want to school the rest of us abou how we should be giving advice. Similar to the thread last week where a poster filled their day with “diet” foods, weren’t satiated, then wanted to educate everyone about how CICO isn’t complete advice. Which no one, no one ever says that CICO is the whole story for weight loss, health, fitness and satiety.

Can people really not understand that? Is there no critical thinking applied at all? No further reading - just take the one line “CICO is all that matters for weight loss” at face value and that’s it?

Funny story:
    When I first started counting calories, the first few days I was really hungry because I ran out of calories early in the day.
    What did I do? I went to the store and bought foods that were lower calorie per volume and more filling.
    No one had to tell me that it was important to choose foods that left me satisfied.

I figured it out myself because I’m a sentient adult.

Carlos_421, this was my experience as well. I'm baffled when fellow commenters don't have this experience.

it's why I don't eat oatmeal- people are like "sticks to the ribs makes you full bla bla bla"

oatmeal = insta hungry.

which is why SURPRISE! I don't eat it anymore.

people like to make this harder than it needs to be I think.

And it keeps me full for hours, which is why everyone needs to experiment for themselves.
    Oatmeal is super weird for me... it's mainly carbs, which means as a diabetic I should find that it raises my blood sugar. But according to my testing it raises it hardly at all, and sometimes it's even lower an hour after eating oatmeal than it was an hour before. It's mystifying. I assume it has something to do with fiber. Since rice, on the other hand, does really spike my sugar, I've started using steel cut oats in what used to be rice dishes, such as jambalaya and red beans with rice. I have yet to attempt steel cut oat sushi but plan to try that next. So far it's like a magic trick for keeping my levels low.

Anyway, I wonder if the lower than expected impact on blood glucose could be connected to the reason some people feel hungry and some don't.

Back on topic - CICO isn't a thing to do, it's a description of reality: calories in equals calories out. It can sometimes be tricky to discover one or the other, but in all situations CICO is true. It's like saying "a car uses a certain amount of gas to go a certain distance." You may have trouble calculating the amount of gas, the car may get different mileage from someone else's car, either the car or the gas meter may be broken in several possible ways, but the basic principle can't be escaped: gasoline engines use gas to operate.

I'm the same way, oatmeal hardly raises my sugars at all, and comes down as expected. But other diabetics I know can't eat oatmeal at all, because it spikes it like crazy, and stays up, whereas a Snickers bar will spike and come right back down. I eat a Snickers and it spikes to just above normal (160-180) and stays up. Every diabetic is completely different in what will spike their sugars, which is why they recommend new diabetics to do lots of testing after they eat something new to see how they react.

I like the idea of substituting oatmeal for rice in things. I think I might start doing that too. Oatmeal fills me up faster and keeps me fuller longer than rice does too. And oatmeal is just as good with soy sauce as rice is (I sometimes eat oatmeal with soy sauce and a couple sunny side up (with runny yolks, if I can cook them properly) eggs on top. Sounds terrible, but is really good) actually.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    someone needs to do study on why some people feel more full on oatmeal than rice and vice versa.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I always eat oatmeal but on a whim I added some butter and was full until lunch. Fat is where it's at. LOL

Was just speaking to a physician who is an obesity expert with years of research behind him.
    A woman in the room said she was addicted to high sugar coffee beverages from Starbucks.
    He suggested that she try to ween herself off of sugars and make her own coffee and use full fat whipping cream (from a carton) and put in a tsp of ghee (purified butter) in it also. It was found to be very satisfying and the participants had high energy all morning. Labs also had shown cholesterol levels came down significantly.
    But no sugar or any artificial sweetners at at not even stevia.
    Very interesting!

I like coffee black, guess I can't get the magical health benefits, poor me.

I don't like it at all, so I'm missing out on the magic as well!

Then, yeah, you're really screwed lol.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Peanut butter works too!

Or avocado! JK

Ya know what? Some warm oats, chopped avocado, salt, and hot sauce? I'd eat that.

That sounds delicious. I adore avocados to an almost obsessive point. I'd have to add some protein in there. Maybe some eggs.

Oooo, with a fried egg or two on top. Hopefully avocados will be a decent price this weekend, I want this now.

Avocado, eggs and pico now I want this!