How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    We are on a budget. I get $100 a week for groceries. This covers: 2 and 4 year old girls, 16 year old male, 22 year old female, 23 year old male, myself and my husband along with 2 dogs and a cat. As a side note, I can't afford to buy snack foods such as chips and doritos, candy, pop, juice, etc... If anyone wants that stuff, they have to buy their own. My daughter will occassionaly buy a bag of dog food (once a month if I'm lucky). My 23 year old son will buy the extras that he wants and he usually will buy his own meat or ingredients for a meal he wants to make. We end up with strange leftovers as his girlfriend has no tolerance for gluten (who knew some marshmallows have gluten in them). He will also throw $50 my way each month, but I use that to pay utility bills.... I do buy a quarter of a organic grass fed bison each November, but it is usually gone by May at the latest. I buy my lunch/supper food out of the $30 I get each week. We survive. Every other Saturday my dad will drop off a couple loaves of bread and pastries from the Amish. God bless him.
  • BadAssUnicorn
    Options
    I live in Texas and spend about $150-$175 a week for three people. All organic, grass-fed and pastured meats. This number includes all other grocery items as well. We eat out once a week.
  • shellymoore0919
    Options
    We normally spend between $100.00 - $150.00 a week in grocery's. And that is feeding 2 people.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I spend about $30-40 each on groceries every week. Sometimes more, but that's if we are stocking up on things like paper towels and tp. We do not go out to eat often and plan every meal for the week ahead of time. It is very rare that I ever throw out any spoiled food because we never buy more than we need. I also use coupons as much as possible!
  • childonboard
    Options
    we spend between $130-$160 per week for everything for 2 adults.in aus
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I can't honestly fathom. We get most of our non grocery products free or darn close with couponing and between sales, stocking & couponing we save 40% on average off our weekly bill and STILL spend $130-$160ish a week. .
    I'm so curious, exactly what do you buy? $15 would by me bananas, my milk, strawberries & feta cheese for example. Hardly enough for a week!
    Its just me! so i spend about $50-60 a month, about $15 a week

ETA: And I don't just eat junk food xD
    Yes, this looks impossible to me, unless she eats out a lot! It's easy to save money on groceries if you go to restaurants or get take out several times a week (or not eating junk food doesn't mean the same thing to me).

I spend at least $50-$60 a week (usually quite a bit more) for just myself now that I buy very little that is not fresh fruits, vegetables or meat. Some weeks are more when I'm buying coffee or condiments/marinades, etc. When I used to eat a lot of starchy foods (pasta, potatoes) before dieting, I could easily get my weekly spending down so that I was spending more like $40/week of food.

I almost never eat out actually! I just buy in bulk, and make things ahead :)
    Forced to really watch my food bill since rent is more expensive for me now
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    2 adults, metro Atlanta.. $50-75 a week. I stock up on things like chicken breast when it's on sale and freeze it. We also eat out about once a week.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    $100/week for 2 adults, 2 miniature schnauzers..that eat grilled chicken, potatoes and vegetables :)
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I try to budget $80-100/wk for 2 adults
    when my kids are home it doubles though....(at least)!!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I was spending about $450 a week! I started really paying attention and switched to another store, now it's about $250 a week. I remember When I had a fit if I spent more than $140 a week....bring those days back!!
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    anywhere from 60-100 bucks for an adult, a 19 year-old, and a 16 year-old
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's just me and a parrot (they have complex food needs!), I try to stick to $30 a week. Sales, coupons, and friends with veggie gardens help.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    The stores here do not reduce the price of meat because it needs to be sold that day. It is the same price as any other time. When the date passes, they stop selling it.

Yes, I've heard Americans say this doesn't happen in their stores. That's a shame - it's a waste of the food if it doesn't get sold and has to be thrown out - although I believe there is a subculture of Americans who do dumpster diving to get the food for free. Or so I've read.

What about coupons - extreme couponing? I've heard a lot of Americans talk about this, and it is something we don't really have in the UK, so I don't know a lot about it. Can all Americans do this, or is it only available in some places?
    They do sometimes have a "quick sale" shelf in the store with reduced items - sometimes produce, but I personally would never buy any of that (and it doesn't include meats). Sometimes certain packs of meat will be marked as a "manager's special", where the price is reduced a little bit, but nothing that extremely cheap.

Extreme couponing could be done by anybody, if you can devote your life to it like those people do. I use coupons but nowhere near to that extreme.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The stores here do not reduce the price of meat because it needs to be sold that day. It is the same price as any other time. When the date passes, they stop selling it.

Yes, I've heard Americans say this doesn't happen in their stores. That's a shame - it's a waste of the food if it doesn't get sold and has to be thrown out - although I believe there is a subculture of Americans who do dumpster diving to get the food for free. Or so I've read.

What about coupons - extreme couponing? I've heard a lot of Americans talk about this, and it is something we don't really have in the UK, so I don't know a lot about it. Can all Americans do this, or is it only available in some places?
    They do sometimes have a "quick sale" shelf in the store with reduced items - sometimes produce, but I personally would never buy any of that (and it doesn't include meats). Sometimes certain packs of meat will be marked as a "manager's special", where the price is reduced a little bit, but nothing that extremely cheap.

Extreme couponing could be done by anybody, if you can devote your life to it like those people do. I use coupons but nowhere near to that extreme.

walmart does
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I live in MD, it is just my husband and myself. We eat a lot of organic fruits, veggies, legumes and whole grains. Our monthly food budget is around $300. I've added in some 'convenience' foods as an adjustment period but that hasn't affected the budget as I'm eating less.
  • ThatGrl32
    Options
    According to ifinance, I spent $840 in August, $947 in July and $799 in June at grocery stores. However, I also buy non food items (laundry soap, paper napkins, etc) at grocery stores, so that's not all food cost. But those figures don't count the cash I use at farmer's markets... I try to stay around $800/month in food costs and I budget $400/per check (twice a month) specifically for food. I have a family of four and I buy primarily fresh produce and organic meat/dairy.
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We usually spend about $75-100 a week in groceries. We eat fish occasionally, but we mostly eat lots of fresh veggies, fruit, legumes, and the occassional piece of cheese. This also includes our weekly CSA box.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I spend about between $100-$125 for a family of 4.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    $50-75 per week for me and my roommate, a bit more if we go out to eat that week but we mainly eat in. I tend to shop around a bit and there are 4 or 5 different groceries within walking distance, each with different things they have for cheaper. The only meat we eat most of the time is fish, which we get whole at the asian grocery for ~$3/lb and we eat a lot of pasta and whatever fruit/veg are on sale. We're in Southern California, which probably also helps with the fish.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Far far far too much. I don't want to add up because it's embarrassing but maybe £70-£90. Yep, just for me.
    I work long hours and though I try to make my own lunch and dinner to eat at my desk, healthy takeout to grab and go at the likes of Pret, Itsu, Chop’d etc is very expensive (£6+).

Plus, I work hard and care about my health. Nice food is kinda my vice. I’d rather spend £10 on getting smoked salmon, olives, asparagus, rocket, nuts, berries than £4 for a cheese and mayo sandwich. I know that’s indulgent of me and it makes me feel pretty guilty. I could get by on a lot lot less.