How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Between about $200-$300/week for 2 adults and 2 children, depending on how much expensive, healthy food or how many nice treats we buy.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have a husband and six children. You don't even want to know. :ohwell:
  • erinm2629
    erinm2629 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I spend about $200 a month for a family of four. I try to shop at an outlet type grocery store we have here and the farmers market. Weekly it fluctuates depending on how much milk and fruit the kids eat. I would say im pretty frugal and cook 95% of meals at home and brown bag to work.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC and food is expensive. Also I shop at places like Whole Foods because the quality of the food is good. However there is a fruit stand that is less expensive than whole foods and also has a 10% senior discount on Saturdays. Gristedes in my neighborhood also has a senior discount on Tuesdays. And I buy frozen foods at Trader Joes which is usually a good deal on their prices.

I am a single person and I spend about $60 to $75 a week on food and any household items I need like TP and paper towels.
  • roxedy
    roxedy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say we average around $125/week for two adults and a toddler, this includes household items like toilet paper. I try to at least buy organic for fruits/veggies and expand that whenever budget willing. I shop around, buy on sale, freeze, etc. I also used to coupon but the majority of coupons are for stuff we would never eat. DH takes lunches that I prepare in the morning to work with him.

edit to add that we live in Massachusetts....
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I spend $200-$250 for two people. We only eat out once a month, so we cook for EVERY meal!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    About $20-$40 a week for two people. We buy things like meat in bulk at a farm fresh butcher shop and then the rest of the month just buy veg, flour, sugar & fruit.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    just me, 1 person, I spend anywhere from 500-700 a month.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    300$ every 2 weeks and if I buy ribs and extra meats like that it can be 400$ every 2 weeks.
  • sweetsong32
    sweetsong32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    On average, I spend about $100 a week for 2 adults. I buy mostly organic.
  • tljohnson
    Options
    Good idea! I am going to start checking the adds and buy what is on sale...making sure it is healthy of course!
  • sakisus
    sakisus Posts: 13
    Options
    $350 a month
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    I spend easily in the $150-$200 range. For two of us. We don't eat overly extravagantly either. I'm not sure where it all goes (well, now that I'm watching what I eat. I know where it went before :)).
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    250-300 a week for a family of 5 ( that includes farmers market, Sams club & eating out once a week)
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    $100 to $150, depending on extras, toiletries, etc. Lots of fresh fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and a little dairy. Two adults.
  • LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    I spend about $20.00 a week.
  • marleelynn
    Options
    hard to tell how much I spend on groceries every week since I get my groceries at Walmart and Target (and buy anything else I need, ex. household, HBA, etc). just me here
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i spend on average $85/week just for myself!
    i live in a borough of NYC and yes things are expensive, but i do shop Target/Walmart for some things, and try to shop bargains and sales whenever possible.

I also live in New York City and spend between $80-90 each week for one person. This amount is......

-higher because I buy Organic whenever possible
    -higher because I buy nice fish and dairy products
    -higher because I buy some luxury items (truffle oil, nice chocolate, etc)
    -higher when I shop the Union Square farmers market (shouldn't direct from farmers be cheaper? but it's not!)
    -lower because prefer fresh fruit in season
    -lower because I eat out a few times a week
    -lower because I don't buy many packaged/prepared foods
    -lower because I stock up when I see a sale (Fage for just a dollar this week!) and use store coupons

It was interesting to see another New Yorker's answer. Great thread idea.
  • cindergirl73
    Options
    I live outside of Philadelphia, PA and have a family of 3. We spend around $150 a week on food alone. I am always looking to cut back, but the prices keep going up. I shop mostly at Giant, as they seem to have the best prices in this area.
  • jwill365
    jwill365 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    $30/week for 1. :D