How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    2 people. Not nearly that much. Wow.

We don't shop too regularly but averaged per week, maybe $50 or $60. But then we do go out to eat sometimes.

I buy whatever is on sale, and I go to Aldi's for produce that they have. We have a slim budget.
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    For me and my boyfriend I spend about 60 dollars a week.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I usually spend around $100 a week for 2 people. Like you, I buy a lot of fruits and vegetables. I feel like groceries were cheaper when we weren't eating as healthy.

This^^
    But I am loving all of the fresh fruits and vegetables I'm eating now, so it's worth it.
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    when it was just me i spent about 50bucks, now that i moved in with my bf we spend about 80-100 and 25 for a CSA.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I spend roughly 300-350 for 6 people. That's myself, my Fiancee` and 4 children under 10. Lots of fruits, veggies, local meats, not walmart meats, and LOADS of milk. I have to buy about 10 gallons of milk a week. I'm lactose so it's not me hogging it I swear!! lol
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    100-150 more if we are entertaining. We have 3 teenage boys that live with us half the time, a toddler and a baby full time and my hubby and me. I cook 13 nights out of a 2 week block but the older boys are all doing school lunches this year.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    There are two adults and 3 children in my home then I also run a daycare. Nothing huge and now that school has started I am down to 4 kids during the day (that are not mine). We rarely eat out so I home cook 3 meals plus snacks including my two school age daughters lunch bags and a snack for school. Each week can vary, but Probably close to $300 per week.

I try not to buy too many pre-packaged items and when I do I pick the ones with the fewest ingredients which is usually the pricier stuff. I make my own yogurt, graham crackers, treats, pancakes to freeze etc. Lots of fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables and chicken breast/thighs, turkey breast (not deli meat), Bison and lamb. Occasionally I buy some grass-fed steak.

My bill could be cheaper but I love to experiment and don't really like to eat the same thing repeatedly. I do make soups and stir-fries and such that I can freeze for my own quick frozen meals. And I am a sucker for trying some new product in the store. Nothing goes to waste and cooking is a hobby of mine so I don't feel too guilty. If I wasn't spending the extra money on food, I would be spending it on some other hobby.

With all my daughters birthdays and with Halloween (costumes) and Christmas all coming up I will be a little tighter with what I spend but there it is.

Edit to add I live in Iowa.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    For 2 of us we spend about 120 a week, mostly fresh produce and meat, a little bit of fresh baked bread as the store we shop in is more like a market, occasionally we'll splurge and buy maybe some fresh spring rolls or something they've prepared in the store. Or if we're having company we'll spend a little more. We take our breakfast and lunch from home every day as well.

ETA - I wish we had coupons here! They're always for useless prepared food that we don't eat :(
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was curious what others spent. We live near Berkeley, CA and spend $200 per week for 2 adults and a two year old. That seems REALLY high! Guess I need to do better meal planning. We do buy lots of Organic at health food stores and are eating a Vegan diet. I don't buy processed food either. Glad we don't eat meat or it would be a LOT more expensive! :noway:
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I spend too much. Depending on the week it's from $120-$280 for my husband and me. Though, when I was on a diet of Lean Cuisine, it was MUCH cheaper. My sister-in-law actually made me feel bad and said I spend way too much, and that she spends much less on her family of four. She said that buying organic should be more of a privileged, and I over spend. But I keep doing it.

14877786.png
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Family of 4. We usually spend around $60-$120 per week. We mainly consume vegetables and fruits which we buy at our local produce shop. I think it's an international store or something, but it's really cheap! We don't eat organic.
    We also buy the bare minimum protein and bread and stuff but mainly veg/fruit.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Usually come in around $40-50 per week for myself.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I spend $800 a month average on a family of five. Two of those kids are teenagers and eat like it. We also eat out quite a bit too, so if I factored that in it would be significantly higher.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    For 2 of us we spend about 120 a week, mostly fresh produce and meat, a little bit of fresh baked bread as the store we shop in is more like a market, occasionally we'll splurge and buy maybe some fresh spring rolls or something they've prepared in the store. Or if we're having company we'll spend a little more. We take our breakfast and lunch from home every day as well.

ETA - I wish we had coupons here! They're always for useless prepared food that we don't eat :(

^This
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Way too much. We spend about $200 - $250 per week for 4 people (2 are little kids). We rarely eat out though and I often feed friends or neighbors with extra that I've made.
  • tlafrance
    tlafrance Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Coastal Alabama - $100 - 150 per week, that's feeding 4 and I brown bag my lunch every day.

Same here! Expect I live in Florida
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    About $200 for 3 people. I still feel that is too much, but groceries are so expensive. Especially if I buy more healthy foods. It is really a shame that it costs to much. I know it is frustrating to me too. But, it is what it is, I guess.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Two people. Generally around $100 bucks and this includes other random tidbits like paper towels, toilet paper, etc.

I plan like a maniac and only buy what I need. 85% of my cart is meats, fresh produce, and dairy so eating well on a limited budget can be done :)
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It averages out to about $100 a week depending on sales and seasonal items.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i spend on average $85/week just for myself!
    i live in a borough of NYC and yes things are expensive, but i do shop Target/Walmart for some things, and try to shop bargains and sales whenever possible.