WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I decided to do 61 minutes of Wii boxing (537 cals) and cut out JJ's Bikini boot-camp. Will do that tomorrow instead of yoga. I need to work my arms more and know boxing is best for that as well as abs. Plus I love boxing
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DeeDee, now it's on the top of the reply box. It looks like a page with the corner folded down. Just click on it and you get to choose a file.

Sally, thanks for the input on dog fights. I'm going to read it to hubby. You are right that he got bitten because he got in the way. He jumped right in there and grabbed them. I think we should have turned the hose on them, if it could have been done quickly. I hope Molly got the idea that Spot isn't going to be the push-over that Bruno is.

Robin, thanks for the picture of Bodi and Ritter. They are so sweet! Is Bodi feeling any better?

Meg, MORE PICTURES PLEASE!

Lesley, boxing sounds like fun.

We are settled in at the hotel. Dinner at Cracker Barrel next door. Not great. My feet are cold, even under three blankets. But the bed is comfy.

Good night everyone.

Sylvia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Denise Austin's Boot Camp DVD. Tomorrow's plan is to do Jari Love's Ripped to the Core DVD.

Viv - (((big hug))))

Cynthia - I'd never heard of massaged kale, either. Actually, it was quite good. As far as cost of vet, for one thing Jessica feels (I can't say since I've never had any interaction with a vet in Reston) that the vets up there seem to care more about money and not the pet. She feels much more comfortable down here. That's one thing. When she took Lance there (in Reston) they did an ultrasound but never told her that they were going to do it. She wasn't happy about the added cost that she wasn't expecting. I'm so sorry about your husband

Allison - I agree, Meg needs to change her profile pic. I honestly did a double take, what a transformation!

henseybrown - you've taken the first step, coming here. Next -- post EVERYTHING -- the good and the bad. Before you know it, it'll be a habit

Exercised, had breakfast, then went to the Newcomer general meeting (Vince was asleep), came home and stopped at ACMoore to get a decorating tip for Jess, home, then Vince and I went to Home Depot, then Sears, then Sams, then WalMart, home to put the two refrigerated items away, then went to go see Lance. He isn't being sedated, but you can tell that he just isn't feeling real well. The MD says that he honestly thinks that it's pneumonia, but they need to get a report from the pathologist to rule out any cancer. Poor Jess, looks like it's going to cost her a couple of thousand (depending on what they need to do). The bright side is that it would cost much, much more had it been in VA.

Oh, someone asked about eating back their exercise calories. Another reason I don't add in my exercise calories is because I don't know where I'd get an accurate number of calories burned. I've watched the machines at the gym, and they base calorie burn based on you walking etc at a steady pace. Well, I almost never do that. I know I'm burning more calories when I'm sprinting, but I couldn't tell you how many more and I have no idea where to go to get that information.

Margaretturk - I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know what a pain it can be. Someone egged our house once and it was a real pain in the you-know-what.

EthansNana - welcome. You are on the right track!

Jan - I heard that The Judge was a good movie, too. You're welcome to come here any time at all to see the DA. Just gave my flash drive to the gal so she can put episode 5 on it for me

Rita - we got a Darth Vader and Yoda inflatable. Then today we saw a C3Po and R2D2 one!

Vicki - sending good thoughts your way. Stay strong!

Kathy - Etown! Know it well.

Michele in NC
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Sylvia :) Thank you so much <3 !!!! Hope you enjoy your trip!

vh7nmaqc2l2i.jpg

This is Penelope
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Penelope! Such cute eye lashes!

Here is the joke of the day:

:)

The man charged into the jewelry shop, slammed his fists angrily on the showcase, removed a wristwatch from his pocket and shook it under the nose of the owner. “You said this watch would last me a lifetime,” he yelled. “Yeah,” admitted the owner. “But you looked pretty sick the day you bought it.”

:D
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Today I bought whole-wheat flour. It tuned out that I already had rye flour. I’ve got my sourdough crock on the counter warming at this very minute. DH wants pancakes or waffles tomorrow for breakfast. There will certainly be enough starter available to make a lot of things while I’m getting it up to volcano status. :bigsmile:

Rita from CT: Sending hugs. Nobody should have an abusive partner, but many do. I wonder whether they realize what *sses they are at times. I doubt they have that much self-knowledge as a rule. There are likely some exceptions who relish inflicting pain. Do you remember ‘The Honeymooners’ TV show with Jackie Gleason and Audrey Meadows? They made abuse seem funny, but it seldom feels funny to those receiving it. :noway: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I picture your hubby in a chauffer’s cap and you with a long scarf blowing in the wind. :bigsmile: My vision is obviously summertime. Perhaps you should be wrapped in furs and wearing dark glasses in my vision. :wink: Enjoy your trip to Columbia MO. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I’m so sorry someone egged your property. It isn’t fair and I hope that they get what they deserve. I’m not sure I believe in karma, but sometimes I want to believe in it. :flowerforyou:

Michele in NC: Sending good wishes to you, your family, and pets. :flowerforyou:

I’ve changed out hummingbird feeders at my house. The ones that dangle in the wind were just blowing around like crazy & spilling their sugar water on the ground. We took them down and stored them. We bought new feeders that stick on a window. They’re immune to the wind, and the birds seem to have adapted to them right away. We’re now getting an amazing view with the birdies just on the other side of the window glass.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    :D We had a good visit this afternoon with the insurance agent who has helped us with our Medicare related insurance. We are so lucky to have him. I changed my plan and Jake changed his prescription plan. I think I'm pretty bright, but all that insurance stuff confuses me.

(*) it was close to freezing a lot of the day and very windy, so I've added extra layers to what I wear.

:D DeeDee, love the golf cart.

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good evening, everyone...

I got quite a bit accomplished today, laundry, housework, the irises dug out and stored in garage, made it to a meeting tonight, and a stop at Gwen's to sign some medical/legal papers and check on her. Helped DD proof a cover letter for a job application (yay). She's finally looking for a "real" type job that uses her BS.

Vicki.......Your DH sounds to be pretty ill; hope he feels better soon with the antibiotic.

Kathy........I'm orig. from Pa.........Does your Elizabethtown have a college? If so, I've been there too. Seem to remember going to see a friend who was going to school there.

Margaretturk......How awful........Infuriating and frustrating!!!! Just mean and completely senseless!!!

Sylvia........Have fun on your trip!!! Good joke today.

Dee Dee........Penelope is gorgeous!! Lucky, lucky DGGs!!

Katla.......I would love to have a hummer feeder on the window but afraid it would attract ants here. Ours are sadly gone for the season.

G'nite all!
    yaniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    3pm and have done 12913 steps/ Hot so walked around our woods.
    I LOVE boxing and kick-boxing. My son in law is a boxing trainer and taught me correct for in the 1990s. Daughter is also a boxing trainer.
    I don't eat back exercise calories either, they are 854 for the day and food at 2089. However keep a spreadsheet and log everything
    OK need to sit in shade now.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Michele NC - I really have to keep the stuff that tempts me out of arm's reach. I will seriously eat it! My DH is really a support system now, but I have to say when we were younger, he would bring all kinds of things into the house when I was dieting. Since he's got a bit of an issue himself, he is much better.

Viv - I'm so sorry that your DH is not doing well. Praying for both of you. I know that being the caregiver is a really tough role. Take care of yourself.

Cynthia - Sorry about your husband. That must have been so difficult for you. As for the diet, tomorrow is another day!

Alison - I really hope you enjoy your trip! You certainly deserve a break! You will get back on track with your eating. Tomorrow is a new day. Positive thoughts being sent to you! I really hope they get your DFIL's meds under control. I'm glad at least he could remember that you were coming back tomorrow with his sisters. That at least is a postive sign.

Heather - I want some of your genes! LOL! Seriously, I wish there was something that I didn't care for, unfortunately, I think I like just about everything. Everything that you post just sounds so good! Congratulations on the exercise!

Barbie - I really love your philosophy about food. I totally understand about one bite being too much and a thousand not being enough. I really admire the resolve that you made. It's so nice to hear about your relationship with your DH. I am very blessed in that respect as well.

Diana - I think Walmart needs to pay you! You probably know the store better than the employees! :) Seriously, that's a great idea to go walking in the store!

Robin - Bodie and Ritter are so precious!

Gail - I'm glad you are back today! I'm relatively new to MFP, but I have decided that I will write absolutely everything down. Before MFP, I would do great on my diet for a while, but if I ate the wrong foods, the whole diet went out the window. I had the hardest time getting back on track. I've only been doing this for about 5 1/2 weeks and I cannot say that I have eaten right every day. I certainly haven't, but I committed myself to writing it all down. Somehow doing that is helping me get back on track faster. That plus having these wonderful, understanding women who are really supportive. I hope you find the same support here! We are here for you!

Heather - So happy you got your tax rebate! Yay!

NMMargaret - I'm so sorry about the egging of your house; that's just mean! Sorry, too, about the theft of your neighbor's credit card. I'm glad they at least got a picture of the card thief. Hope they catch him.

Terri_mom - Great advice to henseybrown. Sounds like you are helping your family to get healthy as well! You go girl!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon - I'm excited to be on a better path, but I sincerely need the support of all of you & your prayers! I'm glad that the AARP article has helped you and that you're getting much needed sleep. Keep taking care of yourself.

Donnamwebb39 - I love your goal about finding something each day that you are thankful for. What a positive step!

Laura - I'm relatively new here as well and have found this community of women to be so helpful and encouraging. I pray that you are very successful with your diet. I wish that I had taken more positive steps when I became diabetic almost 15 years ago. I will be praying for your success! You can do it!

Katla / CityJaneLondon - I am so impressed about your breadmaking skills. WOW I can't imagine having sour dough starter from as far back as you both seem to have...that's just amazing that you and your friends/family were able to keep it going for that long. I can't even begin to tell you how impressive that is to me!

yanniejannie - Sounds like you had a much deserved great outing with your friends. Glad you are feeling pain free! Isn't it wonderful! :)

Rita in CT - Oh, yuck about the hair in the drain; a definite need for flip flops! So happy for you that you went though! I love all of your smileys! They are so cute and action filled!

Sylvia - I want an IPad! LOL! Enjoy your trip! Love the joke, too!

Vicki GI NE - Hope your DH is better soon!

Sally W - I am just amazed at how so many of your are very disciplined with your exercise despite the cold. Here in Louisiana it was in the 40's today and we were all like, "It's freezing!" Congrats on trying the running program!

Lesley in Tasmania - Sounds like you have got it all together! Wow! You joined the army at 32! That's amazing!

DeeDee - Happy Birthday! Are they seriously playing Christmas music already? I'm with you and Vicki, not until after Thanksgiving! I love the golf cart names ---Penelope & Parker! Too cute! I love grandchildren! :) I just saw the pic of the pink golf cart! It's adorable! No wonder your grandchildren love it so much!

It sounds like the weather is getting colder everywhere. It's projected to be in the 30's here tomorrow and for the weekend...at least that's what I heard, I rarely listen to the weather! Like today when it was a bit chilly this morning and I decided that it was going to warm up during the day...nope! It dropped at least 20 degrees! Needless to say, my DH, the weather watcher, laughed at me when I came home and hadn't taken a jacket! So, listen to the weather man/woman, dress appropriately, and take care of yourselves!

Thanks to everyone for being such a wonderful welcoming group!

Hugs to all!

Barb from South Louisiana

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Feels like it is forever since I posted but it's not. It's just that there was a lot written since I posted! I agree with you all, it's freezing. 2 years ago I went into a size 14, this year into a 12. When I went into a 14 I was so excited to buy a new winter coat. I could finally get out of the XX's. But no, I still had to buy an XL. I wanted a L! :( So today when I put on my coat for the first time, the XL fit me jut fine again. Double :( I was hoping that at least it would be a little loose on my. I only have 2 sweatshirts, both are Grandma sweatshirts. One is kind of generic and the other kind of winterish in that it says , there snow doubt about it. I don't want to wear it yet. I am not ready for snow. But I hear it is ready for us this weekend.

Dee Dee, love the golf cart. I'm sure those girls will have a wonderful time with it. Heather, although your bread looks good and I love sourdough bread, I don't like rye at all. Just don't like the taste.

Good choir practice tonight. Our choir director is a stickler for timing and perfection and if it's not we don't sing it. We are taking the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving off and one of our songs isn't just right yet so it has been axed. Really liked that song. But she is the boss. The way is see it is that the congregation has never heard it so they won't know the timing is wrong. We started a new song tonight. The first part and one later on is a solo. The fist part is pretty low, but the second part is higher. She said if anyone had a burning desire to sing the solo to tell her, if not just the altos would sing it. I was tempted to say I would do it but I wouldn't do justice to the higher part at all. Plus there are two altos that have the most beautiful voices I have heard and it kind of intimidates me. So we will see. Get my every 2 month hair cut tomorrow. It is just the exact length I like it right now but it won't be long I will have to start rolling the back and using hair spray. MS and rolling the back of your hair doesn't do well together. To exhausting. But it will be a good length for our Christmas which will be Jan 3rd.

Hope I can sleep tonight. I think I have had one good nights sleep in 7 days. I slept in every bed except my husbands bed who has a snoring bear in it. Went to sleep around 7 AM. I heard some one banging on the front door at 2 PM. I just figured it was Charlie doing something loud to wake me up so I ignored it. But then minutes later I heard some one tapping on my window. Charlie had locked himself out of the house. So I guess 6 hours had to do.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Just saying hi. We’re leaving in half an hour for the two-hour drive to my dog’s chiropractor. Will have mustard soup (mmm) at a café near there and may go check out a horse retirement farm not too far from there. I’m starting to have thoughts in that direction (a retirement farm), but it’s a big step for me.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,711 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    im up and having my tea...have to hop in the shower in a bit, I want to be on time for my 9 am meeting at the hospital with the hopsice volunteer coordinator, then I have to stop in at the volunteer office and find out about the bloodwork, then over to waterbury to pick up the 2 aunts and over to see my DFIL, then after the visit, either out to lunch or take them back to waterbury and then home..busy busy day,
    Dee Dee, love Penelope... and glad she has Parker as a boyfriend....
    we shall see how the day progresses
  • exermom
    Options
    DeeDee - what an adorable golf cart. I can fully understand why the girls love it.

Came out of the shower last night and Vince said to me "the vet just called, Lance had to go into oxygen". I tried to comfort Jess just by being there and listening. Right now she's really questioning herself "maybe it would have been better if I didn't stress him out and come down here (he was so sedated that he wasn't stressed at all), Maybe it would have been better if they hadn't tried to aspirate him". I feel for her, knowing all that we've been thru. This is tough "I can't lose him" "I was going to take out a loan for repairs to my apartment, but it looks like I'll be taking it out to pay for my cat". On the bright side, they said they'd call if there was any change in his status, and they haven't called. Of course, that also means that he isn't getting any better.

I looked online to see what movies are playing, just to do something with Jess to hopefully get her mind off this at least for a little bit. In the meantime, Vince was looking and he said there was one movie he was interested in seeing.

barbie - stay warm.

One of our cats (or maybe it's two) likes to pee on the beds. No where else, just on the beds. Guess Jess left the bedroom door to the back bedroom open and it peed on that bed. The good thing is that I totally forgot to make up the bed so he/she only went on the sheet and mattress topper -- not the blanket or bedspread. Usually Shadow doesn't want anyone coming into the bedroom but I guess it slipped by her. Then again, she's more tolerant of our cats coming and drinking her water and eating her food. I gave her some moist food (does that stuff ever smell!)

Lestan - how do you determine how many calories you've burned?

Barb - I'm so lucky in that I can have just a little bite of something and be totally satisfied. I know know this sounds terrible, but sometimes I just have to skip Heather's posts. Her food sounds so yummy it would make my mouth drool and I'd want a snack.

Just found out that the gal who is organizing the trip to Seagrove pottery changed the date and that is the day we have tickets to see TSO in concert. Well, to be honest, I really wasn't that crazy about going to Seagrove, but I was going to go to help support her. Now I can't possibly go. I'm not going to give up seeing them in concert.

Rita - Vince laughs at me because I have a pair of flipflops in my travel bag and whenever we go somewhere, I ALWAYS wear them in the shower. Actually, to save room, I also have them double as my slippers

The other day I looked in the dining room and you know what Vince got -- a thin christmas tree to put in front of the window! His rational? "Well, we needed a Star Wars/ Star Trek tree"

Woke up with a mini-hot flash. I've found that having some frozen grapes seems to help, at least for right now.

Will probably be back later tonight.

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    Options
    Forgot to copy this part:

Burned the bottom of the pan when I was making the fudge. It had a "funny" flavor so I just threw it all out. Took me a few days to clean the pan, but it's clean now. I don't think I'm going to try making the fudge again, at least not for a while.

I have all our meals portioned out for just the two of us so I took extra food out of the freezer so that Jess can have some. It's interesting...she's commented to friends who are telling her she needs to eat "Oh, I'm eating some of the healthiest foods, mom is making me dinner" Last night we had chicken nuggets that I made from scratch, cut up the chicken, breaded it and then baked it.

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,225 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good morning everyone! :flowerforyou:

Michele - sorry I am driving you to snack! I believe, counter intuitively, that one of the reasons I have been able to lose weight is that I enjoy cooking so much. And eating. It means that every bite is a pleasure, not just mindless or a bland filler. Like you I am creative with things that are low calorie, but satisfying, like shiritaki noodles or cauliflower. I wish I could get spaghetti squash over here, but I haven't been able to find it locally.

- Barb - I do like almost everything in the food line and have had my fair share of binges when I have been depressed, but what has worked for me, especially if I am eating out, is to leave on my plate anything that isn't especially interesting, like potatoes or a boring croquette. Also scrape off a lot of the sauce. It only goes in my mouth if I love it. It helps if my brother or a thin young man is sitting next to me at a party because then I just pass it on. :laugh: You have a great start in that you have a good husband. Mine has been the most help to me of anyone, especially in exercise. Also, when I was fat three years ago and had very bad mobility he never criticized me, although he now admits he was worried for me. He always made me feel loved and beautiful to him, though I can tell he prefers the new me! :blushing:

Michele - my machines definitely change their count depending on how much effort I put in. I set a calorie target every day, today it was 540, and do the work for it on my three machines. I sometimes try to beat my best times by going faster to reach the same calories. I know my rowing machine overestimates the calories, but the others, which are expensive ones, are about right. I set the resistance at 15, which is about three quarters up. Sometimes I turn the bike up to 16 as I like to give my knee muscles a good work out. I also managed 22 minutes strength training afterwards for which mfp gave me 70.
    On another subject, I wish I could see your outside decorations for real. Do post a photo!

Katla - I'm sending your sough dough starter a whole lot of love!

Deedee - LOVE the golf cart! Fabulous!

Cynthia - you've been keeping that ambition under your hat! Sounds like an amazing challenge!

Got up early this morning and bought DDIL'S Christmas present on line. Hooray! Another one down! Thank you tax man!
    Carpet measurer coming today!
    Deedee - it's only our bedroom, so he said four days. We may not be able to coordinate the carpet laying exactly so we may be out of there a bit longer. :ohwell: Also he doesn't do the wallpaper himself so he has to get a guy in. Might have to cover the window with tin foil until the new blind arrives. We will look like a crack den! ! ! I HATE mess and upheaval. Waaaarrrgghhhh! :sad:

Love to all.
    Viv - still thinking of you. :love:

Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK

27681614.png
  • Mrsbelindatrenaman
    Options
    <3 What an extremely lively board... thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging msgs.. they're very much appreciated...

First question, where and how do I get one of those trackers that look like a great way of tracking how much you've lost?

2ndly, yes, my PT has access to see what I eat... and I didn't really think he'd be bothered, but he does... he puts the information into another data base and comes up with what exercise I should be doing for where my weight sits... hence, larger waist means it's coming from starches or simple carbs, so need to exercise differently... If you get a chance, check out Biosignature - by Poliqine, (s?)... I did a contract in NZ for 9mths earlier this year and the PT I got there introduced me to it... I only did weights or resistance exercise, selective weights, depended on what results the food gave me... I lost 5.5kg, which I was really happy about, as I've been try, not so much to lose weight, but to stop putting it on... I've done 2 half marathons in the past 2 yrs, so the training has always been a lot, rang/walked to work everyday, which was 10km... didn't lose a thing! Do weights for a few months and only weights and it starts coming off... huh?

I have a condition that led to my colon being removed 7 years ago, and since then I've gained 25kg and it just seems to go up and up and up without cause. I decided to do a Disease Management nutrition course... you'd think this would give me all the answers wouldn't you... it didn't... I learnt a lot about how the body works, but not why... and unfortunately, there isn't much information out there about my condition, so it's been a trial and error, mainly error... My PT has told me I don't eat enough, hence, myfitnesspal... I think he could be right... he's told me to lower the vegs as they have carbs and increase my protein by 3x... I'm still 20kg overweight so have to keep at it...

Well, that's enough about me for now... thanks everyone

:p
    Belinda
  • Mrsbelindatrenaman
    Mrsbelindatrenaman Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    75713408.png

I found it!
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Michele, this is the best fudge I have ever made, except I melted the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave. Easy! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/foolproof-chocolate-fudge-2/
    Maybe I'll let the kids help me make some this year.

I'm going to drive hubby to his conference today, then run around town for a while. Will find the mall and do some walking.

Bye for now.

Sylvia
    45477098.png[/url]}
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    It is very chilly here for this time of year. It was 24 degrees when I left my house this morning. I don't mind the cold but I don't think Bodi likes it much. He seems a little stiffer and his hind legs work a little worse than they were when it was warmer. He does fine execpt when he has to poop. Then his hind legs seize up on him and he falls down in his panic to make it outside. He looks so mortified whenever it happens. He just breaks my heart. He was such a happy gangly loping yellow lab full of energy and now his front half still is but the back half can't keep up. At least he can now wag his tail. Gotta run to a meeting.

Robin Bodi and Ritter
    PNW