All pills are not snake oil

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    To newcomers:
    Don't waste your time or hard earned money on supplements for weight loss. Weight loss is about eating less, not popping pills to create your deficit by stiffling your appetite that you should be learning how to control with BEHAVIOR CHANGE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Even snake oil isn't snake oil...its seneca oil.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There are no magic pills.

Teehee... smh.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've never read 1 post stating that no one should take vitamin or prescription medication. But those are not the same as weight loss pills or other, unnecessary and potentially harmful, not to mention usually expensive, weight loss scams.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sadly OP, if you would take a step back and evaluate what everyone is saying, you would see the whole picture. But you can't group vitamins/minerals in the same category as fat burners and slimming formulas. Many of use take multivitamins or supplements because of medical conditions or dietary deficiencies. In fact, for people like my wife who has Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (a condition where your electrolytes deplete very easily based on your bodies inability to regulate BP), supplements are a must. She has to have a prescription Potassium and takes Magnesium Taurate (magnesium blended with amino acids). It's the other side of the equation (fat burners, green tea, and all things found on Dr. Oz) that are unnecessary and do not help with weight loss.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wow. If someone wants to save me money by warning me about a product and letting me know results are not about that, I would thank them. I work hard for what little I have and don't wish to see it down the drain. Pass me those diet and exercise pills, please!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    S....M.....H
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Diet pilss are snake oil op , there's no way around it.
    If you want to lose weight, eat at a calorie deficit
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    While on weight watchers and also on this site I have heard people say since they started eating correctly they no longer need their diabetic meds, blood pressure meds and that they have more energy. I can't help to wonder if every one ate correctly we wouldn't need as many medicines or hospitals.

Why would you take something that is not medically necessary?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    S---M---H Sugar---Molasses---Harmony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxtZpFl3pPM

Thank you Don Draper. . . .brilliant.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    You know what they call alternative medicine that works?

Medicine.

You must not be aware of much alternative medicine
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Woo. Lots of it.

I understand OPs point of changing approach. Why don't we stay on topic of it instead of battling over who's criticizing who/what...lol.

Also, why isn't there differing terms for the prescribed or proven supplements that are needed vs the snake oil stuff?

Woo. Lots of it.

I understand OPs point of changing approach. Why don't we stay on topic of it instead of battling over who's criticizing who/what...lol.

Also, why isn't there differing terms for the prescribed or proven supplements that are needed vs the snake oil stuff?

THANK YOU!! I think most people just read the thread title and decided I was an obese person who was looking for a magic pill. Thanks for reading before commenting!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    Woo. Lots of it.

Woo. Lots of it.

THANK YOU!! I think most people just read the thread title and decided I was an obese person who was looking for a magic pill. Thanks for reading before commenting!!

like two people said/agreed with that. If you're going to attribute thoughts to people that they haven't said. Well. A lot of things will likely needlessly make you angry then. Whether they're true or not
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised this thread has not gotten nuked
    Post some flexible eating guidelines.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    You know what they call alternative medicine that works?

Medicine.

You must not be aware of much alternative medicine
    No, it's a tautological statement about how modern evidence medicine works. The correct quote from Tim Minchin actually says "call alternative medicine that is proven to work? Medicine." That's the thing, if you can actually properly prove a treatment works above placebo effect, modern medicine accepts it as a treatment.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Woo. Lots of it.

Woo. Lots of it.

like two people said/agreed with that. If you're going to attribute thoughts to people that they haven't said. Well. A lot of things will likely needlessly make you angry then. Whether they're true or not

People at the bottom of the class often defend themselves by citing the number of people who also didn't understand something. You're like "only 2 people got it" lol and?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Woo. Lots of it.

Woo. Lots of it.

Many of us have read the entire thread and commented. Unfortunately, you have chosen to not like what the rest of us are saying, so you make wild and unfounded assumptions that we do not read your thread. The fact that you have ignored the rest of us, clearly shows you are not interested in understanding reality of the situation regarding supplements and would rather just want to complain about people who don't share your thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.