All pills are not snake oil

Options
I'm sorry I just get annoyed that I've read so many questions about supplements, and people just cut and paste "only a calorie deficit works". Or instantly post the thing doesn't work and is snake oil and will only lean your pockets. People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills." smh.

I realize there are no pills that you eat whatever you want and live on the couch and lose 50 pounds a day. But some supplements might effectively curb your appetite, or give you the energy to work out, etc. and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? If you're eating better and working out more and blame the pill, what's the harm unless it's actually dangerous. I think posting that a supplement is snake oil without knowing anything about it is just as reckless as promoting something you know nothing about. Supplements obviously work for some people. I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    With the exception of prescribed medication, yes, a majority of "weight loss" pills are "snake oil".
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Are you a snake-oil lobbyist?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Like I told my mom today - if her calcium is low, she should first eat a calcium rich diet. If it still doesn't work, take OTC calcium pills. If it's still a problem after enough time, it's time for a prescription.

We should try the basics first before jumping to medicating ourselves.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.

And it is dangerous to be taking random crap that you have no knowledge of just because some idiot on tv said it would help you lose an extra pound.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

Then do that. Be the change you want to see on the boards. But scolding the boards for not doing what you want probably isn't going to get the effect you're looking for.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    You know what they call alternative medicine that works?

Medicine.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Technically, even if pills worked, it would still be a calorie deficit, you'd just be changing the calories out part of the equation.
    I'm going to say 90% of supplements are placebo effect at best.
    Here's a vague list of things the few things work:
    Caffeine: increases NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogensis) might every so slightly increase BMR until you're used to it
    Creatine: gives some increases in muscle endurance, increases lean body tissue a little via water retention in muscle
    Actual prescription medications: can be effective, but obviously require a prescription if you're being on the up and up, and should be done under medical supervision
    That's about it off the top of my head.
  • YogaSanity
    YogaSanity Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    You know what they call alternative medicine that works?

Medicine.

Maspirin? Baspirin? Oh yeah: Aspirin!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    With the exception of prescribed medication, yes, a majority of "weight loss" pills are "snake oil".

+1

Is this because you bumped a necro thread about garcinia cambogia and people said they didn't work?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If I post telling someone a pill for weight loss/appetite suppressant is snake oil, it's because I've tried it and found out the hard way that it's snake oil. I want to save money and annoyance for that person, not shove my agenda down his/her throat.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I'...and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? .

So you're for the promotion of things that don't work?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Want to know specific research on a supplement?
    Just go to http://examine.com/ . It tracks a lot of them and compiles the clinical research done on supplement effects.
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Agree with Jozz. All things are not snakeoil. Everyones circumstances and life are different and require differing approaches. I am 48 and i work at night. 12-14 hours at night and a goodly portion of the next day is spent sleeping. Hey, guess what i am vit. D deficient what a surprise. Oh you say i should eat better, guess again i eat great. Oh get more sun. Guess again again, i have to sleep. Is that not important to my health? So sue me i take a vit. D supplement and has helped enormously. I also use protein as well as creatine and supplement my B12 via... Wait for it. INJECTIONS. Oh my heavens.
    Heads out of the sand people and sometimes outside the box also.
    My 2 cents
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bghere1 wrote: »
    Agree with Jozz. All things are not snakeoil. Everyones circumstances and life are different and require differing approaches. I am 48 and i work at night. 12-14 hours at night and a goodly portion of the next day is spent sleeping. Hey, guess what i am vit. D deficient what a surprise. Oh you say i should eat better, guess again i eat great. Oh get more sun. Guess again again, i have to sleep. Is that not important to my health? So sue me i take a vit. D supplement and has helped enormously. I also use protein as well as creatine and supplement my B12 via... Wait for it. INJECTIONS. Oh my heavens.
    My 2 cents

Except that OP is stating about weight loss supplements (or at least that's how I read it).

Taking things that you are deficient in is fine. There is a difference between taking a Vit D supplement because you have a medical need and taking lets say Hydroxycut to lose weight.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents

We're not talking about vitamin supplements here, though. Of course you should take a vitamin D supplement if you're deficient and don't get enough through diet and sunlight. That's basic sense. We're not against vitamin/mineral supplements if you need them, or protein supplements if you don't get enough protein through diet. We're talking about 'weightloss' pills... which are snake oil.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have tried a LOT of supplements that were supposed to curb appetite. None of them worked for me personally. I did spend one month on a low dose of RX appetite suppressant at the outset of my weight loss effort. That did work. At the end of the month I tapered off because I had my habits established and had shrunk my stomach enough to cope with the smaller portions. Some people use other tactics like a bowl of low cal broth, a garden salad with low cal dressing, or an apple before the main meal. That is def cheaper than supplements and is something I would recommend.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    My 2 cents

Except that OP is stating about weight loss supplements (or at least that's how I read it).

Taking things that you are deficient in is fine. There is a difference between taking a Vit D supplement and taking lets say Hydroxycut to lose weight.

There's also a big difference between getting an injection prescribed by your doctor and taking whatever you read about on the Internet and bought over the counter.
This discussion has been closed.