Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Squatting last night 212.5 for doubles. I'm still working on beltless squats for now. It was hot as blazes in the basement and also humid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8IsODiGtQg&feature=youtu.be
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    New PR for me this week on the squat department. I could use a half inch. But I'm going to accept this as the new one rep max.im very pleased. End of a twelve week sheiko cycle. Definitely improvements made!

Nice. That looked really easy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Nice. That looked really easy.
    what's interesting- and this happens to me- I jump up 5 pounds and I guess maybe I get preemptively physced out and have a crap lift.
    Go up another 5 and feel really solid.
    So 3 weeks ago I did 250 felt great- did 255- and felt like *kitten*- was definitely shallow.
    Yesterday hit 250 easy, 260 was *kitten*- shallow- and and shakey.

But I was like- EFF IT 265- and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

I think I'd like to incorporate half squats at a heavier weight to just get used to feeling the weight- or banded (From the top) squats to really adjust more to the weight.
    So- I'm pleased- I'm looking for 275 this year into next year!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just bought the freaking Nike Romaleos this week and jesus...I'm in love. I have not hit this depth at this weight, ever. Part of it is definitely due to the shoes but I probably should give a little credit to myself, training, and trying not to be a wimp too. But the shoes...

my friend just got squat shoes- and he's all limbs (arm and legs) so he's a really awkward squatter. But he was like- I don't know how I ever squatted without these shoes- best thing.EVER.

I'm hoping to find someone on Prime Day tomorrow for sale. I'd definitely like to have a pair!

Yeah honestly I shouldn't have spent the money I did on mine. I'm too vain to wear the cheap ones and the adidas which are a little cheaper did not feel good. I don't regret it though. I will never go back.

now you got me really wanting shoes LOL
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    I just bought the freaking Nike Romaleos this week and jesus...I'm in love. I have not hit this depth at this weight, ever. Part of it is definitely due to the shoes but I probably should give a little credit to myself, training, and trying not to be a wimp too. But the shoes...

my friend just got squat shoes- and he's all limbs (arm and legs) so he's a really awkward squatter. But he was like- I don't know how I ever squatted without these shoes- best thing.EVER.

I'm hoping to find someone on Prime Day tomorrow for sale. I'd definitely like to have a pair!

Yeah honestly I shouldn't have spent the money I did on mine. I'm too vain to wear the cheap ones and the adidas which are a little cheaper did not feel good. I don't regret it though. I will never go back.

It's a good investment. I've had mine for 8 years. It's not like you wear them all the time to wear them out. I've only had to replace the laces and the rubber on the bottom. The rubber damage was a result of my bench set up though when I drag my toes to get my feet set up.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

It's a good investment. I've had mine for 8 years. It's not like you wear them all the time to wear them out. I've only had to replace the laces and the rubber on the bottom. The rubber damage was a result of my bench set up though when I drag my toes to get my feet set up.

Do real weightlifting shoes make squatting that much better? I've always lifted in flat minimalist running shoes because those were what I had when I started lifting regularly. I would like to get more into powerlifting, but I'm still on the fence if the benefit of lifting shoes is worth the $150-200.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Massive post injury pr! While there is work to be done (hello keeping upper back tighter), how well this moved blows me away. This was my fourth double at 85%, 125/275. Haven't had this weight on my back in 15 months. I was supposed to do three stop squats after these and my legs went haha nope.

Do real weightlifting shoes make squatting that much better? I've always lifted in flat minimalist running shoes because those were what I had when I started lifting regularly. I would like to get more into powerlifting, but I'm still on the fence if the benefit of lifting shoes is worth the $150-200.

It's night and day difference. I only got mine last fall, once I was clearly hitting depth without them again (I am ridiculously prone to lower cross syndrome which includes right hip flexors). I adore them and if my coach tried to make me squat without them I would probably cry.
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    I got to AMRAP tonight and I got 175x9 with decent depth. If this means my 1rm is finally 225 it will knock my panties off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kuAteVtsBU

It's the shoes. They're like magic :smiley: That looked easy and your depth was more than decent on most of them.

Have you thought about testing your 1rm?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    In on panties getting knocked off...uhmm, wait wut?! :o

Seriously, nice job!
    I think as easy as you knocked off 9 your 1rm is more than 225.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I got to AMRAP tonight and I got 175x9 with decent depth. If this means my 1rm is finally 225 it will knock my panties off.

There's s lot I like about this video.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

It's the shoes. They're like magic :smiley: That looked easy and your depth was more than decent on most of them.

These shoes are freaking amazing.

Probably not gonna test 1rm. I don't have quite enough time to before my meet in September.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

The shoes right?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

The shoes right?

Ummmm..... Sure. Lol
    Same color as mine. ;)
  • arditarose
    Options

The shoes right?

Ummmm..... Sure. Lol
    Same color as mine. ;)

lol. Besides being jacked and tan, I did notice your shoes.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Novice lifter here. This is my bench press 90lbs (41kg) for 10 reps.

https://youtu.be/h8400aGupPI
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

It depends.

The elevated heel will reduce ankle dorsiflexion demands on the squat. If you have great ankle mobility then it may not add much -- although there are other features like (typically) a very solid bottom (not very compressible) and metatarsal strap which could make a slight proprioceptive difference (basically it feels sturdy/stable).

For people who lack ankle mobility they are a MFin GAME CHANGER, seriously. Some people will immediately gain several inches of depth on the squat AND reduce lateral collapse at the ankle which tends to happen at end ranges of ankle dorsiflexion.
  • SideSteel
    Options

@juliewatkin - I've been coaching her for a bit now in preparation for her upcoming meet so I'll reply to this one as well, I hope you don't mind! The temptation is definitely there to see where her strength levels are at. So far the volume block of training is going incredibly well.

We are using a DUP type of set up that is also block periodized in that we are doing a volume block followed by an intensity block followed by a taper into the meet. Right now we are in a volume phase, still making weekly increases to load but keeping the total volume as the primary goal. We will eventually transition into an intensity block where rep ranges go down and load goes up a bit faster.

At that point we should have a much closer idea as to where her strength levels are at for the upcoming meet.

I am curious as hell about where her 1rm is currently but it's one of those things where the plan is working very well, so we stick to the plan ;)
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

It depends.

The elevated heel will reduce ankle dorsiflexion demands on the squat. If you have great ankle mobility then it may not add much -- although there are other features like (typically) a very solid bottom (not very compressible) and metatarsal strap which could make a slight proprioceptive difference (basically it feels sturdy/stable).

For people who lack ankle mobility they are a MFin GAME CHANGER, seriously. Some people will immediately gain several inches of depth on the squat AND reduce lateral collapse at the ankle which tends to happen at end ranges of ankle dorsiflexion.

@sidesteel I apologise for jumping in OT, but can lateral ankle collapse cause knee valgus? I have poor ankle mobility (and I'm working on it) but I'm wondering if this causes my knee cave and if shoes will help fix it? I have to have a very wide stance to hit depth without plates under my heels.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

It depends.

@sidesteel I apologise for jumping in OT, but can lateral ankle collapse cause knee valgus? I have poor ankle mobility (and I'm working on it) but I'm wondering if this causes my knee cave and if shoes will help fix it? I have to have a very wide stance to hit depth without plates under my heels.

IMO Yes it can.