Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

JoRocka wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just bought the freaking Nike Romaleos this week and jesus...I'm in love. I have not hit this depth at this weight, ever. Part of it is definitely due to the shoes but I probably should give a little credit to myself, training, and trying not to be a wimp too. But the shoes...

my friend just got squat shoes- and he's all limbs (arm and legs) so he's a really awkward squatter. But he was like- I don't know how I ever squatted without these shoes- best thing.EVER.

I'm hoping to find someone on Prime Day tomorrow for sale. I'd definitely like to have a pair!

Yeah honestly I shouldn't have spent the money I did on mine. I'm too vain to wear the cheap ones and the adidas which are a little cheaper did not feel good. I don't regret it though. I will never go back.

now you got me really wanting shoes LOL

It's a good investment. I've had mine for 8 years. It's not like you wear them all the time to wear them out. I've only had to replace the laces and the rubber on the bottom. The rubber damage was a result of my bench set up though when I drag my toes to get my feet set up.

Do real weightlifting shoes make squatting that much better? I've always lifted in flat minimalist running shoes because those were what I had when I started lifting regularly. I would like to get more into powerlifting, but I'm still on the fence if the benefit of lifting shoes is worth the $150-200.

Weightlifting shoes literally took me from not hitting depth, to hitting depth. I also feel safer and more secure now. The addidas are a LITTLE cheaper than the nike (I wanted them for the price but they felt horrible on my foot), but you can get a few brands for even less if you want to try them out. @SideSteel originally recommend the Wei-Rui shoes to me for the price. You're literally cutting off like 130 bucks...but they're not as cute.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I just bought the freaking Nike Romaleos this week and jesus...I'm in love. I have not hit this depth at this weight, ever. Part of it is definitely due to the shoes but I probably should give a little credit to myself, training, and trying not to be a wimp too. But the shoes...

my friend just got squat shoes- and he's all limbs (arm and legs) so he's a really awkward squatter. But he was like- I don't know how I ever squatted without these shoes- best thing.EVER.

I'm hoping to find someone on Prime Day tomorrow for sale. I'd definitely like to have a pair!

Yeah honestly I shouldn't have spent the money I did on mine. I'm too vain to wear the cheap ones and the adidas which are a little cheaper did not feel good. I don't regret it though. I will never go back.

It's a good investment. I've had mine for 8 years. It's not like you wear them all the time to wear them out. I've only had to replace the laces and the rubber on the bottom. The rubber damage was a result of my bench set up though when I drag my toes to get my feet set up.

Do real weightlifting shoes make squatting that much better? I've always lifted in flat minimalist running shoes because those were what I had when I started lifting regularly. I would like to get more into powerlifting, but I'm still on the fence if the benefit of lifting shoes is worth the $150-200.

It depends.

The elevated heel will reduce ankle dorsiflexion demands on the squat. If you have great ankle mobility then it may not add much -- although there are other features like (typically) a very solid bottom (not very compressible) and metatarsal strap which could make a slight proprioceptive difference (basically it feels sturdy/stable).

For people who lack ankle mobility they are a MFin GAME CHANGER, seriously. Some people will immediately gain several inches of depth on the squat AND reduce lateral collapse at the ankle which tends to happen at end ranges of ankle dorsiflexion.

Here's my last squat triple today in my flat shoes that I use for lifting (Merrell Trail Gloves). They're getting old and are falling apart which is why I'm looking for new lifting shoes. Do you think the raised heel will give me better depth on squats?

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

It depends.

The elevated heel will reduce ankle dorsiflexion demands on the squat. If you have great ankle mobility then it may not add much -- although there are other features like (typically) a very solid bottom (not very compressible) and metatarsal strap which could make a slight proprioceptive difference (basically it feels sturdy/stable).

For people who lack ankle mobility they are a MFin GAME CHANGER, seriously. Some people will immediately gain several inches of depth on the squat AND reduce lateral collapse at the ankle which tends to happen at end ranges of ankle dorsiflexion.

Here's my last squat triple today in my flat shoes that I use for lifting (Merrell Trail Gloves). They're getting old and are falling apart which is why I'm looking for new lifting shoes. Do you think the raised heel will give me better depth on squats?

I wouldn't be concerned with going lower.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    Options

It depends.

Really? Maybe it's just the camera angle, but I thought the 2nd and 3rd reps looked a bit high.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

It depends.

Really? Maybe it's just the camera angle, but I thought the 2nd and 3rd reps looked a bit high.

I'm just watching in terms of what would be considered "low enough" in competition and I think you're hitting depth fine. It may be the angle, like you said though.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    Options

It depends.

I'm just watching in terms of what would be considered "low enough" in competition and I think you're hitting depth fine. It may be the angle, like you said though.

Thanks, I've never competed before so I'm not sure what is expected by the judges. I would like to do a meet next year so I'm trying to nail down my form now.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Kinda blew myself away today. So I hit my max that I've been using for my percentages the last week of April last year, and the week after that I injured myself (separated both SI joints which uncovered an underlying muscle imbalance). The percentages have been working, even with this crash reload, so I've been sticking to it. Today I was scheduled for 90% singles, and I hit them. First couple were a fraction shallow, and then this was my 5th single. 130.5/287.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

It depends.

Thanks, I've never competed before so I'm not sure what is expected by the judges. I would like to do a meet next year so I'm trying to nail down my form now.

I suspect you're deep enough as is. I also can't quite see what's going on between the foot and the ground at this angle so it's hard to say whether a squat shoe would be helpful or not.

Just for example, you could be getting depth just for example, you could be getting depth but with some ankle collapse which a squat shoe could help.

Hard to tell in this particular video. Solid squat though.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    Options

It depends.

I suspect you're deep enough as is. I also can't quite see what's going on between the foot and the ground at this angle so it's hard to say whether a squat shoe would be helpful or not.

Just for example, you could be getting depth just for example, you could be getting depth but with some ankle collapse which a squat shoe could help.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to shoot a better angle next week. Would a straight on front view be best to determine if my ankles collapse?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

It depends.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to shoot a better angle next week. Would a straight on front view be best to determine if my ankles collapse?

Yep
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I got to AMRAP tonight and I got 175x9 with decent depth. If this means my 1rm is finally 225 it will knock my panties off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kuAteVtsBU

Dang amazing, shoes help me a ton as well. Hip mobility is just not as good as I want it to be.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Y'all have me about convinced to order some shoes.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Do it. The first time I squat with them I literally just had more FUN squatting.

If you have a real adidas store near you they carry the weight lifting shoe, if you want to try it on first. That's what I did. Didn't like them so ordered the Nike.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Do it. The first time I squat with them I literally just had more FUN squatting.

If you have a real adidas store near you they carry the weight lifting shoe, if you want to try it on first. That's what I did. Didn't like them so ordered the Nike.

I might check the Nike outlet and see if I can get lucky. Who knows?
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options

I might check the Nike outlet and see if I can get lucky. Who knows?

I currently have the Adidas Adipower shoes and love them. A good thing to try them out first to find which platform height works best for you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Kinda blew myself away today. So I hit my max that I've been using for my percentages the last week of April last year, and the week after that I injured myself (separated both SI joints which uncovered an underlying muscle imbalance). The percentages have been working, even with this crash reload, so I've been sticking to it. Today I was scheduled for 90% singles, and I hit them. First couple were a fraction shallow, and then this was my 5th single. 130.5/287.

I freak out when I see my shoulders- my left shoulder lives about 1.5" forward of my right shoulder- same with my hips.

SI joint issues also- I believe they are both significantly tied together- I haven't found someone I can afford who can fix me yet. It's killing me. and it totally freaks me the *kitten* out.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

I freak out when I see my shoulders- my left shoulder lives about 1.5" forward of my right shoulder- same with my hips.

SI joint issues also- I believe they are both significantly tied together- I haven't found someone I can afford who can fix me yet. It's killing me. and it totally freaks me the *kitten* out.

For me, hypermobility can suck the big one. What's helped the most, besides doing all my body weight correctives to first correct and now keep the imbalance at bay, is that I essentially stopped stretching. I stretch my IT band just enough that I can hit depth, my hamstrings cause they like to be crazy tight with no passive range of motion, and my back for bench. I miss stretching but I love the stability more.

My coach is paranoid that I'm going to hurt myself again. Just going to have to prove to him again and again and again that I'm listening to what's going on in my body and modifying accordingly.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I got to AMRAP tonight and I got 175x9 with decent depth. If this means my 1rm is finally 225 it will knock my panties off.

It's the shoes. They're like magic :smiley: That looked easy and your depth was more than decent on most of them.

Have you thought about testing your 1rm?

@juliewatkin - I've been coaching her for a bit now in preparation for her upcoming meet so I'll reply to this one as well, I hope you don't mind! The temptation is definitely there to see where her strength levels are at. So far the volume block of training is going incredibly well.

We are using a DUP type of set up that is also block periodized in that we are doing a volume block followed by an intensity block followed by a taper into the meet. Right now we are in a volume phase, still making weekly increases to load but keeping the total volume as the primary goal. We will eventually transition into an intensity block where rep ranges go down and load goes up a bit faster.

At that point we should have a much closer idea as to where her strength levels are at for the upcoming meet.

I am curious as hell about where her 1rm is currently but it's one of those things where the plan is working very well, so we stick to the plan ;)

I didn't realize there was a meet coming up. For sure then, resist the temptation. On a platform is the best place for a PR. Where's the meet?
  • arditarose
    Options

It's the shoes. They're like magic :smiley: That looked easy and your depth was more than decent on most of them.

Have you thought about testing your 1rm?

@juliewatkin - I've been coaching her for a bit now in preparation for her upcoming meet so I'll reply to this one as well, I hope you don't mind! The temptation is definitely there to see where her strength levels are at. So far the volume block of training is going incredibly well.

We are using a DUP type of set up that is also block periodized in that we are doing a volume block followed by an intensity block followed by a taper into the meet. Right now we are in a volume phase, still making weekly increases to load but keeping the total volume as the primary goal. We will eventually transition into an intensity block where rep ranges go down and load goes up a bit faster.

At that point we should have a much closer idea as to where her strength levels are at for the upcoming meet.

I am curious as hell about where her 1rm is currently but it's one of those things where the plan is working very well, so we stick to the plan ;)

I didn't realize there was a meet coming up. For sure then, resist the temptation. On a platform is the best place for a PR. Where's the meet?

Brooklyn. My hood.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

It depends.

Your depth is fine. If you go too deep, you're giving up weight. FWIW, I've been a referee for about 5 years now.