Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So as mentioned I'm doing a very short phase of modified daily 1rm training. It's actually 3-4/week frequency working up to a 1rm ideally at RPE 9.5 or so. Today I went to a 10.

Small PR, this is a new 1RM at 455lbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGr6uCvV35Y&feature=youtu.be

Really happy with this, though. During ramp ups I went from 355 to 390 (belted at this rep) and 390 FLEW. Fastest I've ever hit a rep at that weight range. So I was eyeballing a PR. Jumped to 425 which was a big error and I should know better. I can't make a 35lb jump at that high of an intensity. And so 425 went really slow. I also executed poorly (didn't tighten dem gloots before descending).

So I went back down to 415 and went 415, 425, 435, 455 for singles.

I was totally fried after, couldn't do any back off sets. Bench and deads also suck right now but squats are coming along, so meh.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Damn, that was fantastic @SideSteel. I am impressed.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    @Hornsby Thanks!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I don't care what the 1RM calculators say...This is my 2RM. I swear the second rep push lasted 30 seconds in my head and it may have been the closest to blacking out that I've ever been. 345x2
    https://youtu.be/5Sdyfyk1LLY
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ^ good fight
  • SideSteel
    Options
    @McCloud33 -- I'm just curious about something -- You seemed to transition very fast from 20 rep squats to 1-3rep work. Was this part of a program you were on?
  • McCloud33
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    @McCloud33 -- I'm just curious about something -- You seemed to transition very fast from 20 rep squats to 1-3rep work. Was this part of a program you were on?

@SideSteel The 20 rep was just a 6 week program. I started 5/3/1 back up this week, but wanted to stick with the three day a week squat, so I was trying out doing the 5/3/1 all in one week for squat. My 1RM before the program was maybe a little north of 275+/-, but that was also at 180-182 BW. I plugged in a 1RM of 405 to start this round of 5/3/1, but I think I'm going to back that off to 365 as that seems a little more accurate after this week. I'm also back on a calorie deficit after bulking for the last 6+ weeks.

All that and I was just curious what my 1RM really was after doing the 20 rep program so I wanted to try and hit some triples, doubles and singles.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

@SideSteel The 20 rep was just a 6 week program. I started 5/3/1 back up this week, but wanted to stick with the three day a week squat, so I was trying out doing the 5/3/1 all in one week for squat. My 1RM before the program was maybe a little north of 275+/-, but that was also at 180-182 BW. I plugged in a 1RM of 405 to start this round of 5/3/1, but I think I'm going to back that off to 365 as that seems a little more accurate after this week. I'm also back on a calorie deficit after bulking for the last 6+ weeks.

All that and I was just curious what my 1RM really was after doing the 20 rep program so I wanted to try and hit some triples, doubles and singles.

Cool, thanks =)

I was just curious by the very large change in volume. Going from 20 to 1-3 is a pretty abrupt drop =)
  • McCloud33
    edited June 2016
    Options
    accidental post :tongue:
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Somehow I managed to get an invite to compete in Relentless. It's an invite only meet that raises a lot of money for HopeKids (you may have seen that viral clip of the lady in the Elsa costume pulling 405 in front of a bunch of happy kids -- THAT was at Relentless).

Friend of mine competed in Relentless last year. He had a blast. Super cool! @SideSteel

Hope you report back and tell us all about your experience.
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    I don't care what the 1RM calculators say...This is my 2RM. I swear the second rep push lasted 30 seconds in my head and it may have been the closest to blacking out that I've ever been. 345x2
    https://youtu.be/5Sdyfyk1LLY

Oh that lovely lovely grind @McCloud33 !
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Nice, some room in the tank still too. What are you aiming for at the meet? @nakedraygun
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Nice Matt! @nakedraygun

So I'm in the odd ball position of being 4 weeks and 5 days out from my meet, and I haven't even touched likely squat and deadlift openers yet. Or for that matter, in a year. I'll be hitting my likely squat opener on Friday, and what I'm holding out hope will be my deadlift opener just 9 days out from the meet.

From yesterday, deads and squats feeling great.

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I haven't deadlifted in over 2mo (back issue). And after an extremely boring elliptical session at my gym, I decided to to go for it. Worked up to 315x10 dead stop. At 147lb BW. By best pull to weight ratio ever. Wish I filmed it. But I was alone. I'm expecting DOMS for a week now lol.
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nice, some room in the tank still too. What are you aiming for at the meet? @nakedraygun
    Kinda glad you asked me that @SideSteel because reading over your training plan for Relentless that you are "going to make a short run at daily max training." I had to wonder if it was in anyway similar to what I am doing.

Here is my peek programming:

9f421ccabaae440bb9364bdee71ac38b-610xh.jpg

Basically, its 531 for Powerlifting influenced, but not really. I really felt I needed some heavy single work headed into this next meet. In other words, I'm rolling out of bed and hoping to hit numbers somewhere in the attempt/alternate chart. Hoping to hit at least my last meet numbers of 413/297/512 lbs. 555kg/1,223.5 lbs. Or at least meet my Wilks 347.76 and maybe exceed it a few points.

As of writing this, my projections are a little off on squat and deadlift, but well within my last meet final attempts. I'm cool with that.
    Options
    Nice Matt! @nakedraygun

So I'm in the odd ball position of being 4 weeks and 5 days out from my meet, and I haven't even touched likely squat and deadlift openers yet.

Thanks Dana @Willbenchforcupcakes

Your deadlift and squat look really good though and considering you haven't been on the platform with them for a long time, I think you'll do great.
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I had GREAT day at the gym yesterday. I've been training at the gym lately to hopefully get spotters for lift-offs and wouldn't you know it, no one to spot me yesterday even though when I started with my squats, a gym full of bros populated the floor.

275x3 warm-up singles of 295, 305.

Lift-offs where easy, so WTH, three plates.

It's been a long struggle to get to this point. I'm 45 years old with years of punctuated training and sporadic injuries that have hampered the pursuit of an unassisted three plate attempt. While I'm not competition ready for that much weight on the platform, its a benchmark I'm happy to have finally met.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Great job NDG!
    Your story is similar to mine and the struggle is real. I happy the injuries have never been overly serious but it is frustrating to have to spend weeks/months rehabbing back up.
    Options
    ^^^ Great job NDG!
    Your story is similar to mine and the struggle is real. I happy the injuries have never been overly serious but it is frustrating to have to spend weeks/months rehabbing back up.

Thank you and yeah that cycle of advance and retreat can get one almost discouraged.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Nice Matt! @nakedraygun

So I'm in the odd ball position of being 4 weeks and 5 days out from my meet, and I haven't even touched likely squat and deadlift openers yet.

Thanks Dana @Willbenchforcupcakes

Your deadlift and squat look really good though and considering you haven't been on the platform with them for a long time, I think you'll do great.

Yeah, it's going to be 18 months to the day between full power meets. I'm just reminding myself that I picked this meet for a reason. And it's looking like my squat and deadlift openers are at least going to be where they were that long ago. I still have zero clue on how I've retained this much of my top end without having had either load or volume for so long. 15 total reps per week at 50-65% should not have kept me this strong. But I'm running with it.