Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Idle_Moon wrote: »
    Menstrual_cycle.jpg

So, according to this image, this woman would be at her heaviest weight on day 28 of her cycle, and it would be gone around day 5. You're gaining weight as your cycle continues and lose that weight during menstruation. Did I understand that right?

It could be interesting to keep track of my weight daily and see how my cycle influences it, even though I'm using the pill. (Really like it, because now I know when I'm getting my menstruation.)

It's going to be different for some. I tend to have a high spike at ovulation, a big drop again, then a spike that wasn't quite as high right on day 27/28.

I wonder if being on birth control would help decrease those kinds of spikes? Anyone want to chime in there?

By the way, unrelated to the post above, if you ever take Plan B...be prepared for some seriously high weigh ins.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    lezerlies wrote: »
    I read articles like that every month even though I know what's happening. Helps me get through it? I tend to gain about 3-5 pounds every month during my period. Not leading up to it, but during my period itself. And the crazy hunger hits me at the end of my period. Doesn't make sense scientifically, but it's pretty consistent so at least I can recognize what's happening.

I agree working out helps tremendously with PMS.

Mine is the same. I always gain weight during the time. Not before that time. But it still bugs me the same every single time.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Idle_Moon wrote: »
    Menstrual_cycle.jpg

So, according to this image, this woman would be at her heaviest weight on day 28 of her cycle, and it would be gone around day 5. You're gaining weight as your cycle continues and lose that weight during menstruation. Did I understand that right?

It could be interesting to keep track of my weight daily and see how my cycle influences it, even though I'm using the pill. (Really like it, because now I know when I'm getting my menstruation.)

It's going to be different for some. I tend to have a high spike at ovulation, a big drop again, then a spike that wasn't quite as high right on day 27/28.

I wonder if being on birth control would help decrease those kinds of spikes? Anyone want to chime in there?

By the way, unrelated to the post above, if you ever take Plan B...be prepared for some seriously high weigh ins.
    I gaun weight during ovulation too, then a week before my period starts there is a big whoosh. Abd again a small gain during the flow .
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    Options
    Bump again ... :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Needs more bumps.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Needs more bumps.

It needs to be stickied.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Needs more bumps.

It needs to be stickied.

I agree with that. It was passed over for addition in the last update and they only seem to rotate them every six months or so. There's a sticky for women with PCOS but maybe menstruation is just too icky to be stickied. Who knows.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Needs more bumps.

It needs to be stickied.

I agree with that. It was passed over for addition in the last update and they only seem to rotate them every six months or so. There's a sticky for women with PCOS but maybe menstruation is just too icky to be stickied. Who knows.

Idk what's so icky about it. It's just a natural part of some people's lives. And it would be great to be stickied, then there wouldn't be a new pms/period thread every few days.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Needs more bumps.

It needs to be stickied.

LOL @ too icky to be stickied :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Needs more bumps.

It needs to be stickied.

Idk what's so icky about it. It's just a natural part of some people's lives. And it would be great to be stickied, then there wouldn't be a new pms/period thread every few days.

+1
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

I can't wait for menopause!!!!

I'm not so sure about that. I hear menopause brings all different sorts of problems, lol.

If I can finally stop bleeding, I'll deal with whatever else comes along.
    Lol. Fair enough.

:)

I'm already dealing with 101 perimenopause symptoms including but not limited to hot flashes, night sweats, and dizziness in the day or two leading up to my periods. Weird calf and foot cramps (especially at night). About a year of adult acne ... that was so much fun. About 18 months of ... well, what can best be described as the moods and rage etc. of PMS, I guess. Every day, not just before my periods. Fortunately that has settled down quite a bit. And I can't use HRT at all, so I've been finding other ways to deal with everything with variable success.

My gynaecologist thinks I've been in perimenopause since about 2011 or so, and 18 months ago, he guessed that I should have about 3 years to go. I am more than ready to be done! There will be dancing in the streets!!!

I'm almost 50 and with the possible exception of briskly growing fibroids I have Not One Single Symptom of perimenopause. Come on hot flashes!

OMG, be careful what you ask for! I've had hot flashes that just about knocked me on the ground...took my hearing away....made me blind!
    I'm in perimenopause for the last couple of years, 47 now, with horrible hot flashes...and have had two to three periods a month for the last year! The hot flashes seem to have subsided in the last three months or so (scared to say it out loud in case they come back!)
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    [/i]

I'm not so sure about that. I hear menopause brings all different sorts of problems, lol.

Lol. Fair enough.

I'm already dealing with 101 perimenopause symptoms including but not limited to hot flashes, night sweats, and dizziness in the day or two leading up to my periods. Weird calf and foot cramps (especially at night). About a year of adult acne ... that was so much fun. About 18 months of ... well, what can best be described as the moods and rage etc. of PMS, I guess. Every day, not just before my periods. Fortunately that has settled down quite a bit. And I can't use HRT at all, so I've been finding other ways to deal with everything with variable success.

My gynaecologist thinks I've been in perimenopause since about 2011 or so, and 18 months ago, he guessed that I should have about 3 years to go. I am more than ready to be done! There will be dancing in the streets!!!

I'm almost 50 and with the possible exception of briskly growing fibroids I have Not One Single Symptom of perimenopause. Come on hot flashes!

OMG, be careful what you ask for! I've had hot flashes that just about knocked me on the ground...took my hearing away....made me blind!
    I'm in perimenopause for the last couple of years, 47 now, with horrible hot flashes...and have had two to three periods a month for the last year! The hot flashes seem to have subsided in the last three months or so (scared to say it out loud in case they come back!)

Go to the Dr about the periods.

When I was 47, I was experiencing the same thing and thought that was just normal. Finally after a year I went to the Dr ... early December 2014.

She rushed me into an ultrasound ... got the results and rushed me off to a gynecologist ... the gynecologist saw me on a special appointment on December 23, 2014.

On January 12, 2015, I was in surgery.

I had a very large polyp which they had to remove ... and which showed the very early signs of cancer. Now I have to go for ultrasounds every 6 months until I'm fully into menopause.

Fortunately, so far, no signs of more polyps and no further signs of cancer development ... but ...

I had started experiencing the frequent bleeding again and thought I might have developed another polyp. However, it wasn't that. On my last ultrasound, they discovered a large hemorrhagic cyst ... or at least, what they think is a large hemorrhagic cyst. I'm to go for another ultrasound in a month's time. If it is gone, then it was a hemorrhagic cyst. If it is still there ... then it could be something more serious.

Moral of the story is ... get it checked. It might be normal ... but then again, it might not.

I actually did go to the doctors last year, as I couldn't even plan a week away, because they were week on/ week off....did the internal ultrasound and like you the doc found cysts....they are large, and touching spots that cause a lot of pain...but he said they weren't bad enough to do anything about them, basically to just deal with it.
  • Machka9
    Options
    [/i]

Lol. Fair enough.

When I was 47, I was experiencing the same thing and thought that was just normal. Finally after a year I went to the Dr ... early December 2014.

She rushed me into an ultrasound ... got the results and rushed me off to a gynecologist ... the gynecologist saw me on a special appointment on December 23, 2014.

I had a very large polyp which they had to remove ... and which showed the very early signs of cancer. Now I have to go for ultrasounds every 6 months until I'm fully into menopause.

Fortunately, so far, no signs of more polyps and no further signs of cancer development ... but ...

I had started experiencing the frequent bleeding again and thought I might have developed another polyp. However, it wasn't that. On my last ultrasound, they discovered a large hemorrhagic cyst ... or at least, what they think is a large hemorrhagic cyst. I'm to go for another ultrasound in a month's time. If it is gone, then it was a hemorrhagic cyst. If it is still there ... then it could be something more serious.

Moral of the story is ... get it checked. It might be normal ... but then again, it might not.

I actually did go to the doctors last year, as I couldn't even plan a week away, because they were week on/ week off....did the internal ultrasound and like you the doc found cysts....they are large, and touching spots that cause a lot of pain...but he said they weren't bad enough to do anything about them, basically to just deal with it.

If it were me, I think I'd go to another Dr.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    [/i]

Lol. Fair enough.

If it were me, I think I'd go to another Dr.

I have no issue with my doctor, he just went by what the ultrasound revealed, which was pretty normal apparently for women at this stage of life. Unless it's super painful or life threatening, why would I need another opinion? I've dealt with it..the periods have quietened down some, the hot flashes are almost non existent...and the pain is only during the periods. All good so far :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Lol. Fair enough.

I'm 51. I don't really have hot flashes. I do have fibroids. And I have lots of the lesser discussed symptoms of menopause. Like vertigo. Good times.
  • MeganCannon
    MeganCannon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for making me feel better about being up two pounds! (my period is due today or tomorrow).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think I'm finally post-menopausal. It's so exciting :smiley: Anyone want some tampons? :D
    OOOH. How long has it been?