Keto 3 Week Challenge

Options

Replies

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    It was brought to my attention that most likely the first couple days of any weight-loss is water weight. Which is because we are burning up our glucose storage first which is made up of a significant amount of water. Those glucose cells are gone and eliminated from your body and you should not worry about regaining the weight unless after this you go back into an over abundance of carbs and processed foods. After the initial loss of water from the glucose reserve you will be in fat burning mode! Here's an interesting article that explains the process.

http://ketogeniclifestyle.com/water-weight-and-fluid-management/

Remember to have your salt shaker ready to keep your electrolytes balanced.

Mary

Mary, thanks for sharing this because that's what I was concerned about. But I am fine as long as I understand and know what to expect. I will read the article but the concept make sense. Except that I feel like I am burning actual fat. LOL!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    This just occurred to me-- I was under the impression that when you go on a calorie restricted diet that the first week of weight loss is mainly water weight and that when you start eating at maintenance you will regain a few pounds because the glucose will need to refill. So, I'm just wondering if you were already dieting and lost water weight is there more because you switch to a keto diet? Just trying to understand...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kilika735 wrote: »
    All the recipes, motivation and articles are very helpful! :) I'm doing well. Really LOVING bulletproof coffee!! So delicious. I can really tell a difference in how I feel with the increase in fat from when I did just low carb. I wish I had known then to focus more on the fat vs the protein. I tried these chili hand pies for the Superbowl and everyone loved them, even the non-keto guests! ;)

http://ketogasm.com/low-carb-hand-pies-stuffed-chili-recipe/

Those hand pies look great. Good website!

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @DDHFree

There is probably more water weight loss for a keto diet than just a low calorie or low fat diet, because once you use up all of your glycogen (which happens on a low carb diet), all the water that was bound to the glycogen is gone, too. Each gram of glycogen is bound to 4 grams of water. So we should all lose a lot of weight the first week due to diuresis. Not because we are losing fat, although there is some fat loss, too. The reason this is important to understand is that you can gain 5-10 lbs overnight if you go to a birthday party and eat a piece of cake or something, and your glycogen stores are repleted. It has nothing to do with fat loss or fat gain, it's all water. Fat loss is less dramatic on the scale. Once you have lost that initial exhilirating several pounds, weight loss will slow down. I will be happy with 1-2 lbs/week.

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    This just occurred to me-- I was under the impression that when you go on a calorie restricted diet that the first week of weight loss is mainly water weight and that when you start eating at maintenance you will regain a few pounds because the glucose will need to refill. So, I'm just wondering if you were already dieting and lost water weight is there more because you switch to a keto diet? Just trying to understand...

If you read this article it will explain it better than I can.

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketosis.html

Let me know what you think!

Mary
  • DDHFree
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    DDHFree wrote: »

If you read this article it will explain it better than I can.

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketosis.html

Let me know what you think!

Mary

Thanks Mary. Good article but I am not going to try and relay my interpretation because I will probably botch it up. LOL! But I recommend to others who are curious to at least read the FAQ which speaks to the water weight loss/gain.
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @DDHFree

There is probably more water weight loss for a keto diet than just a low calorie or low fat diet, because once you use up all of your glycogen (which happens on a low carb diet), all the water that was bound to the glycogen is gone, too. Each gram of glycogen is bound to 4 grams of water. So we should all lose a lot of weight the first week due to diuresis. Not because we are losing fat, although there is some fat loss, too. The reason this is important to understand is that you can gain 5-10 lbs overnight if you go to a birthday party and eat a piece of cake or something, and your glycogen stores are repleted. It has nothing to do with fat loss or fat gain, it's all water. Fat loss is less dramatic on the scale. Once you have lost that initial exhilirating several pounds, weight loss will slow down. I will be happy with 1-2 lbs/week.

Karen in Virginia

Even if it's just water weight, is it still visibly noticeable?
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    @DDHFree

Karen in Virginia

. Yes! I found my stomach shrinking quite a bit at first, but everyone is different in that respect. In my case, I was carrying way too much bloat throughout my stomach, but after that initial weight loss, and excess water store gone, my inch loss was more in line to an inch or two a month around my middle.

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Excellent explanation, Karen !
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2017
    Options
    DDHFree- Glucose is being produced in your liver you only create the amount of glucose that the carbs equal to. That glucose is either used as energy, or it will store a small amount as glycogen in your muscles and liver and the rest is stored as fat. Your body Burns the glucose up before going into ketosis first from the carbs that you eat, then from the stored Glycogen in your muscles and liver which is the first initial weight loss of water. Think of it as a spoonful of sugar to three parts of water and the sugar is used for energy and the water is eliminated from your body. When you are no longer giving your body the carbs it is used up all of its glycogen stores then it goes into ketosis. Then you are burning fat as fuel. Think of it as you have turned on a different switch and you are now burning a different fuel. Your body should stay in ketosis as long as you do not go too high on your carb intake. You're now burning fat for energy.

This is a very good example of what happens. Watch both videos.

http://www.ketoisland.com/ketogenic-basics/

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Karen - thanks for that explanation.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @DDHFree

Karen in Virginia

Very much so! Your clothes will fit looser and your measurements will change whether it's water or fat that is lost. Conversely, your clothes will fit tighter the day after you eat carbs while on a keto diet.

Karen in VIrginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Wow, I am having such an easy low carb day!

I wasn't hungry when I woke up so sipped on tea and went to Jazzercise.

After Jazzercise, I munched on raw veggies and homemade blue cheese dip, then got busy with a bunch of chores. Fixed low carb crabcakes, roasted cauliflower, and dilled green beans for dinner, all of which were delicious.

I still have calories left, but am not hungry, and feel very satisfied. That's a nice dilemma to have! Usually I am looking for stuff to munch on in the evenings. No cravings!

I am tickled with the way this is going. The raw veggies are really helping me. I didn't eat as many raw veggies the last time I did this.

I wanted to mention that there are some snacks that people might like to know about if they want "junk food". One is pork rinds. Another is Whisps.

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Thanks for the snack ideas.
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Great job today, everyone!

Totally agree with the diuretic effect of the first few days, but it's a great motivator! I was sick this weekend and had to get some new meds and have jumped up 3 lbs. The key is to not give up and press on! It will sort itself out.

Been at this for 40 days and finally someone at work asked if I was losing weight. NSV!
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as for keto sticks, I found them over the counter at a target in NY, but they are behind the counter in Canada so far as I can tell.

Just remember that keto sticks will be positive whether you are burning dietary fat or your own. I tend to use them after going out to be sure I'm still burning (assess the damage), usually 2 hours after. Otherwise, you should be burning most of the time.
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Wow so much info here!!! :) In the middle of my workout I was hit by the hungry bug. So I went for the PNB and then added some cream cheese.. for a make shift fat bomb, wish I had a few dark chocolate chips to add to the mix.

I am sure there are lots better concoctions but with my bottle of water it filled me up. :)

Thanks all I like... this new way of eating! :)

• fanncy0626
    Options
    ideliver - thanks for the information! Experience is helpful to us new to this!

Mary
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Wow, I really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks so much trustymutsi and Mary. Mary, I can't wait to watch the videos.
  • GoldieLaVie
    GoldieLaVie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Question: Is it possible to be losing weight and not be in Ketosis? I'm losing weight, my face is not all puffy, my stomach is "deflating". But is it only water weight? My carbs are around 35 - 45 a day. Thank you!!!