Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I choose mostly low fat foods so I can have calories for foods I want. I still get, imo, plenty of fat to deal with vitamin absorption.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,114 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Which do you think is better in your diet?
    And why?

Whatever fits in your calorie goal and allows you to eat nutritious food. I find higher fat more satisfying.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Full fat, because it's food.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only low fat items i buy are plain Greek yogurt, it tastes the same as full fat to me but has less calories, and cottage cheese, i prefer the taste and texture of the low fat cottage cheese to the full fat stodgy and too salty version.
    I usually hover anywhere between 55-95g of fat everyday.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have done a great deal of personal research on this topic and definitely have an opinion, which can be substantiated by numerous scientific research. Fat in your diet is essential for energy, healthy tissue, controlling inflammation, absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, & K), and regulation of many hormones. It can even help with weight loss, by providing enough calories and energy to keep you feeling satiated and your energy levels even.

The trick is to eat the right kind of fat, which is mainly plant based, from nuts, seeds, avocados. In addition to plant based polyunsaturated fats, fats found in fish like salmon, tuna, and sardines contain essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6 that help reduce heart disease. Vegetable based fats help with insulin resistance and body inflammation, which contributes to multiple chronic diseases.

Fats from animal sources are called saturated fats and are okay in moderation. You get these from beef, cheese, ice cream, and eggs.

Trans fats are found in processed foods and should be avoided at all costs. Cookies, cakes, and fast food contain trans fats. If it comes in a box, it has trans fats most likely and is artificially created! Additionally, "low fat" foods are often created with increased sugar and other processed items like refined substances (flour, starch). They do this to make the "low fat" taste good, but end up jacking up our blood sugar, spiking our insulin levels and even causing weight GAIN!

So, I personally, so not eat anything "low-fat". It is better to choose half and half for your coffee than processed, sugary creamers. To me, "low-fat" equals high sugar, high insulin body spikes, low nutritionally value, and possible weight gain.

I hope this helps!

Yes! this was what I wanted to know!

I knew there was something "bad" about low fat items but weren't sure what it applied to!

There is nothing wrong with low fat items. food is food. I have to be on a low fat diet due to a health issue.low fat does not mean high sugar or high insulin spikes.I have read labels on low fat and regular fat products and there isnt much difference in the sugar content,a lot of the regular fat items tend to be higher in sugar a lot of the time,but not always.

insulin spikes happen in healthy people too. its how insulin works,if you have an insulin issue and have to watch your sugar/carbs thats one thing. but you can eat regular fat or low fat foods, its up to as long as you dont have a health issue.weight gain also only happens in a surplus of calories.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've gotten used to nonfat milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese, and I prefer them now. Also I like that they are quite a bit lower in calories. Nonfat hard cheeses, though, taste plasticky to me and don't melt properly so I go for low-fat or types that are naturally lower in fat. Most other foods that are sold as low-fat aren't great (imo) and often have added sugar, which I don't need.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I prefer full fat dairy but have been using powdered milk lately which is nonfat. I don't drink it just use it in cooking.
    I get full fat cheese and yogurt.
    I hate margarine. I get real butter.
    I eat whole eggs. I kind of dislike egg whites so if I don't eat the good yolk there isn't any point to me eating eggs.
    I use Newman's Own light salad dressing but mostly hate light versions of products.
    I use regular peanut butter.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I have done a great deal of personal research on this topic and definitely have an opinion, which can be substantiated by numerous scientific research. Fat in your diet is essential for energy, healthy tissue, controlling inflammation, absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, & K), and regulation of many hormones. It can even help with weight loss, by providing enough calories and energy to keep you feeling satiated and your energy levels even.

The trick is to eat the right kind of fat, which is mainly plant based, from nuts, seeds, avocados. In addition to plant based polyunsaturated fats, fats found in fish like salmon, tuna, and sardines contain essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6 that help reduce heart disease. Vegetable based fats help with insulin resistance and body inflammation, which contributes to multiple chronic diseases.

Fats from animal sources are called saturated fats and are okay in moderation. You get these from beef, cheese, ice cream, and eggs.

Trans fats are found in processed foods and should be avoided at all costs. Cookies, cakes, and fast food contain trans fats. If it comes in a box, it has trans fats most likely and is artificially created! Additionally, "low fat" foods are often created with increased sugar and other processed items like refined substances (flour, starch). They do this to make the "low fat" taste good, but end up jacking up our blood sugar, spiking our insulin levels and even causing weight GAIN!

So, I personally, so not eat anything "low-fat". It is better to choose half and half for your coffee than processed, sugary creamers. To me, "low-fat" equals high sugar, high insulin body spikes, low nutritionally value, and possible weight gain.

I hope this helps!

What a totally ridiculous series of exaggerations and hyperbole!

OP - read the labels of foods when you select them.
    In the UK it's actually rare to find artificial transfats in foods.

The fat goal is really a minimum not a maximum, fat in suitable amounts is a good thing and can't make you fat unless you are in a calorie surplus.

Yeah I'm pretty sure we don't really get transfats in the uk, but she didn't know that I lived in the U.K. before posting..
    Is it different in the US?
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Is there anyone that can educate me on poly-unsaturated fats and mono-unsaturated fats? According to my nutrient guidelines on MFP, I am allotted 0 for both of these, but tend to have a couple here and there. I know to stay away from trans-fat, but I really don't know about these two. TIA
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When it comes to milk I consume what we have at home. A couple of weeks ago it was full fat and now we have 0% fat (dunno why though). With yogurt I like the low-fat but hate the no-fat. Full fat is the best but I tend to eat more low fat. Cottage cheese, I'd rather have it low fat and cream cheese, again whatever we have at home. Usually the cheeses I eat are full-fat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Is there anyone that can educate me on poly-unsaturated fats and mono-unsaturated fats? According to my nutrient guidelines on MFP, I am allotted 0 for both of these, but tend to have a couple here and there. I know to stay away from trans-fat, but I really don't know about these two. TIA

It's not a 0 allotment, they just haven't set a value for them.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options

It's not a 0 allotment, they just haven't set a value for them.

I looked at it closer. I get it now! I kept thinking I was doing something "bad" whenever I would see the numbers in red. Thank you for enlightening me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    I've gotten used to nonfat milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese, and I prefer them now. Also I like that they are quite a bit lower in calories. Nonfat hard cheeses, though, taste plasticky to me and don't melt properly so I go for low-fat or types that are naturally lower in fat. Most other foods that are sold as low-fat aren't great (imo) and often have added sugar, which I don't need.

I ignore marketing stickers and would never buy low fat cheese (I'm a cheese snob).

Lots and lots of packaged foods ARE naturally low or no fat, however, and don't have added sugar and there would be no reason to avoid them. For example, pasta or oats or some kind of beans and rice mix (I prefer to make my own beans and rice other than buying the beans and rice (both after in packages and with no fat, btw--again disproving this idea about all packages having transfat and all low/no fat packages having added sugar), but if those kinds of things were desired I'm sure plenty are perfectly healthy and only have spices added.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I hope this helps!

What a totally ridiculous series of exaggerations and hyperbole!

OP - read the labels of foods when you select them.
    In the UK it's actually rare to find artificial transfats in foods.

The fat goal is really a minimum not a maximum, fat in suitable amounts is a good thing and can't make you fat unless you are in a calorie surplus.

Yeah I'm pretty sure we don't really get transfats in the uk, but she didn't know that I lived in the U.K. before posting..
    Is it different in the US?

No, transfats have been mostly removed/phased out, and her statement that food in a box probably has them is not accurate at all.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I eat all kinds of foods that come in boxes that don't have trans-fat. It's usually specifically baked goods that did have trans-fat, and many of those have been phased out.

Back in the 80's and 90's when fat was supposed to be the enemy, there were lots of low-fat treats and snack foods that had lots of added sugar and salt, but again we're talking about 25 years ago. Now that everyone has jumped on the sugar-is-te-devil bandwagon, I doubt you'd find much food that is high in sugar so they can call it low fat.

The only low fat foods I can even think of seeing around now is dairy, and they do NOT add sugar to low-fat dairy. I'll eat some low fat and some full fat yogurt. I drink 2% milk because that's what I grew up on and I think whole milk is weird :lol: . I like low-fat ricotta and cottage cheese, but full fat of pretty much any other kind of cheese.

I don't really think you can generalize that "low fat" or "full fat" is either all good or all bad.

agreed. personal preference is the judge. i , for health reasons have to keep my fat to 5 grams a day or less.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    The only specifically low fat dairy product I like is skyr, but that's because I prefer the taste and consistency over Greek yogurt. I will use Greek yogurt if the skyr is unavailable, but then it's the full fat variety.

I like PB2, not specifically because it's low fat, but because it's easy to blend into oatmeal or a smoothie to get protein and it tastes just like actual peanut butter. I have not found that actual peanut butter is as enjoyable in the smoothies and the oatmeal, but it's not like I avoid regular peanut butter. I love a peanut butter and pickle sandwich.