Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I feel like this is a stupid question coming from a veteran calorie counter but 50g of fat is 50g of fat is it not? How do you feel more full or less full if you're hitting your fat macro whether it's from full fat or lower fat food?

Some say that they are never satiated on lower fat food.

I will say that there are foods for me that just 'hit the spot'. Those are more satiating than if I ate equivalent macros' worth of different foods because they satisfy more senses than just filling my belly. But, this is why I wouldn't go high or low fat. I pick whichever one suits me at the time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    For me, both. If there are full and low fat versions of the same things and I like the low fat I will ALWAYS go for the low fat because I eat plenty of fat, more than recommended. And it's usually from things that don't come in low fat versions like nuts and olive oil. So I cut back wherever I can.

Plus, I dislike most full fat dairy and the phlegmy way it makes my throat feel. ::sick::
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    My ears perked up, did someone mention bacon!?

ca3f777cbf177024bad1f63f16e95ec6.jpg

LOL! Bacon, the breakfast of Champions! :wink:

Full fat everytime! It satiates you and low fat products always add extra sugar, yuck.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »

Full fat everytime! It satiates you and low fat products always add extra sugar, yuck.

It satiate YOU, and low fat products don't generally add extra sugar. If not for my taste buds, I would do low fat everything because fat does squat for my satiety except for adding extra calories to my foods, and I usually get my day's worth from olive oil and other naturally occurring fats anyway.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

As psulemon said, this is false.

Full fat might satiate you, it doesn't me. (Full fat dairy is not more satiating to me than the same amount -- so much lower cal amount -- of low fat dairy. I like bacon and eat it, but find it not satiating at all.)

Why do people say that low fat products ALWAYS contain added sugar. (menotyou, I'd be really interested if you would be willing to answer this.) That's just obviously untrue. The only low fat I eat are (1) dairy (no added sugar), (2) (rarely) egg whites (no added sugar), and (3) foods that are naturally no or low fat (no added sugar).
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

It doesn't satiate everyone and not all low fat stuff is loaded with sugar. Completely over generalized.

Just about any 'food product' advertised as low fat has added sugar because it tastes like crap after taking the fat out.

Of course asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, etc are low fat and fine but not man made processed 'foods'.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought of another low fat product I eat: sometimes I eat lean ground beef. Again, NO added sugar.

Many people like skinless, boneless chicken breast (I tend to cook my chicken with the skin on, often whole). Either way, though, the lower fat option has NO added sugar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options

It doesn't satiate everyone and not all low fat stuff is loaded with sugar. Completely over generalized.

Just about any 'food product' advertised as low fat has added sugar because it tastes like crap after taking the fat out.

Of course asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, etc are low fat and fine but not man made processed 'foods'.

Maybe baked goods, but I get a lot of low fat dairy and lean meats, and they does not have any more sugar than full fat products. Hell, I largely cut fats because it offers inadequate volume to keep me full.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I don't see any added sugar in my skim milk or occasional low fat cream cheese...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I don't mean to be argumentative, but no, they don't. Could you be more specific about what kinds of low fat foods you're talking about?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I usually eat full fat foods. Cream in my coffee when I don't have it black, full fat cottage cheese, yogurt, real butter, etc. It tastes better, keeps me full longer, and the fats are good for you.

the only fats I try to avoid are trans fats and hydrogenated fats/oils. These are generally in things like margarine (real butter is healthier and does not contain these) and lots of processed snack foods.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at 2 different cottage cheese containers I have in the fridge. one is 4% milkfat and the 1% milk fat(same brand) has 1g of sugar more than the 4%.the 4% has 4 and the other has 5. not a big difference. thats just for that product. Im not sure about anything else because I have nothing to compare to
  • FindingAwesome
    FindingAwesome Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I make my decision based on a) calories per serving b) flavor and c) cost

I do look at the teams fat content too, but not too closely.

I'm more likely to go low fat on some things (like dressings and sauces) just so I can have more of it, and full fat on others for the taste.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at 2 different cottage cheese containers I have in the fridge. one is 4% milkfat and the 1% milk fat(same brand) has 1g of sugar more than the 4%.the 4% has 4 and the other has 5. not a big difference. thats just for that product. Im not sure about anything else because I have nothing to compare to
    It's likely because when the fat in milk has little or no lactose in it. When fat is removed, the milk solids that have lactose in them amount for more of the final product. The extra 1g of sugar in the nutrition information is probably naturally-occurring lactose. (You can check the ingredients list to make sure there's no added sugar.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    It's likely because when the fat in milk has little or no lactose in it. When fat is removed, the milk solids that have lactose in them amount for more of the final product. The extra 1g of sugar in the nutrition information is probably naturally-occurring lactose. (You can check the ingredients list to make sure there's no added sugar.)

Im sure thats probably it(not all products have the added sugar label so far.at least these didnt).But my point is its not excessive added sugar like most think it is.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Im sure thats probably it(not all products have the added sugar label so far.at least these didnt).But my point is its not excessive added sugar like most think it is.

Yes, even in digestive biscuits which are baked goods (I like the full fat version anyway) the difference is less than half a gram of extra sugar per serving. I can live with that if I liked the light ones. I'm also of the opinion that sugar doesn't matter for a healthy person in the context of a good diet, but that's a 50 page thread for another day.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Yes, even in digestive biscuits which are baked goods (I like the full fat version anyway) the difference is less than half a gram of extra sugar per serving. I can live with that if I liked the light ones. I'm also of the opinion that sugar doesn't matter for a healthy person in the context of a good diet, but that's a 50 page thread for another day.

yeah I have to eat low fat due to health issues.I like the full fat better but it is what it is.nope I eat a lot of carbs/sugar and my health markers have improved so
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I think many of the modern bogus comparisons use things like full fat plain yogurt vs low fat sweetened yogurt to illustrate their point because more fair comparisons would not show a good enough shock impact.