Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I used skim and lower fat dairy options when I was trying to lose weight, back to 2% yogurt and half and half cream in my yogurt since then.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I want to say this: I would not let anyone in this thread cook my burgers/steaks.

Thanks a shame, because I am a fantastic cook and you'd be missing out. If you want me to go against my religion and overcook a burger passed medium rare, I can close my eyes like I do for my MIL.

Sorry, no. I don't eat raw or partially raw meat.

Blasphemer!
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine (a nutritionist) offered to buy me a coffee. She was shocked when I requested a full cream flat white. She told me that it's not as high in calcium as skim milk. It hasn't changed my mind though.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, this is actually one question where the answer actually is "genetics." Some people lose weight more efficiently on a low-fat diet, and some on a low-carb diet (rs1801282 is the relevant SNP). Without getting your genes sequenced, trial and error is the only way to figure out which is better for you.

Personally, I stick with low fat and try to make sure that the fat sources I eat are high quality (avocados, animal fats, coconut oil, etc.).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Consuming full fat dairy or low fat dairy doesn't mean you are on a high fat or low fat diet, though. I eat a moderately high fat diet (40% currently), but like mostly 1%-2% cottage cheese and yogurt, since I have no problem getting fat from other sources and simply prefer the 1-2% (usually).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine (a nutritionist) offered to buy me a coffee. She was shocked when I requested a full cream flat white. She told me that it's not as high in calcium as skim milk. It hasn't changed my mind though.

Did you do a facepalm, when she told you that?
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'd say full fat in moderation depending on what it is. When it comes to ice cream I enjoy halo top because I can eat the whole pint, and it's higher protein so i feel satiated. But with everything else, missing the fat caused me to eat more servings, ending up being more calories in the end. When I switched back to full fat products in moderation I was happier and healthier and more satisfied.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Full fat vs low fat what? I generally steer clear of anything with 'diet' or 'low fat' advertised in it because I feel many times the quality of the product suffers when fat is removed. However I do eat fat free Greek yogurt with my breakfast often because I've found one I like and have it with eggs, which provide the fat. I wind up with a well-balance breakfast from a macro perspective.

I use full fat cheese, milk, eat nuts, avocados, olive oil, etc. Fat isn't scary or to be avoided. Bacon is delicious. Turkey bacon makes me :cry:

@pinuplove What full fat Greek yogurt brand have you found that you enjoy? I'm looking for something new.. planning on trying plain Greek and adding mix-ins to avoid some of that crazy amount of sugar in the fruit yogurt.

Any responses are appreciated! Thanks :smiley:

Regarding OP... I used to go with fat free this and that.. but that was when I started out. Many times when you buy a product that has the fat cut they'll increase the sugar. Same if you buy sugar free or reduced sugar, they raise the sodium or fat.

You need to eat fat, therefore some of your food has to contain fat.

I choose low fat dairy as I prefer to add fat in other ways - like a sprinkle of nuts with berries on the yoghurt. Skim milk froths better than fattier milk, and I only use it to make froth for my coffee...

I prefer using some egg whites with a whole egg or two rather than all whole eggs as I prefer to add other fat - like avo on the eggs, or in a salad.

I prefer to not cook with oil as I can have a fatty piece of salmon instead.

Some days I'll lower fat in meals so I can include some chocolate, or icecream, or chips/crisps etc

Choose your fats. You need them.

I like what you've shared..thinking it through like that makes sense, thanks for tanking time to share that. :smiley:

Skyr is really yummy. I think its technically cheese but it has the taste of thick yoghurt.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I check the nutrition facts to see if the reduced fat has more sugar than the regular. If it does, I'm buying the regular, no questions asked. I'll save added sugar for my desserts, thanks. Don't need that crap in my meals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I check the nutrition facts to see if the reduced fat has more sugar than the regular. If it does, I'm buying the regular, no questions asked. I'll save added sugar for my desserts, thanks. Don't need that crap in my meals.

You should look at the ingredients, as serving sizes can be slightly different.

I've never seen a plain yogurt with added sugar (I don't drink milk, but I'm pretty sure the same is true for plain milk). The claim that it has added sugar is basically made up.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I've never seen a plain yogurt with added sugar (I don't drink milk, but I'm pretty sure the same is true for plain milk). The claim that it has added sugar is basically made up.

I should have been more specific. I do check the whole label for suspect variations. But the quickest thing that stands out is usually the sugar count.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

..And it's usually the opposite case for flavored yogurt. The one's advertising "low-fat" usually drop the sugar content or replace with splenda to drop the calories further.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things that I buy low fat but it's for the volume/calorie pay off. I love buying 40% lower fat marble cheese because it's super yummy and I LOVE cheese. Like, I can eat a scary amount of it. So the lower calories lets me eat a larger amount of cheese, which makes me happier.
    The other lower fat thing I just grabbed was light kraft peanut butter. I'm working on perfecting my homemade protein bar recipe and I didn't want TOO many calories going to peanut butter since I'm trying to get them under 250 cals each so just finding ways to shave off calories here and there *shrug*.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I go by taste as I want to enjoy what I am eating- when I am good with the taste of the lower fat option, great. But there are some things I eat full fat. For example, I like skim milk and 0% greek yogurt, but my cheese will forever be full fat, mostly because it is something we splurge on (rarely do we buy grocery store cheese- we go to specialty stores and love trying all different types/flavors. Yes, we are weird). Just like everything else in my diet, I drop what I don't think is worth it and make room for what is. Everyone will be different in what they consider important.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Full fat. I also eat the whole damn egg. None of this egg white business for me unless I'm making angel food cake.

Lol I looove eggs. But I've actually come to really love liquid egg whites. On the other hand, to me 1% milk is a fundamental crime against nature it's so thin and watery. My husband bought some the other week because I was making mashed potatoes and I was SOO mad. The potatoes weren't nearly as rich and creamy as my normal recipe. It was so sad.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    Humanity ate full fat for eons until some jerkoff scientist with an agenda came along in the 50's with false data and claimed fat was bad and would kill you.

He was full of you know what and is the father of the obesity/type 2 diabetes epidemic now sweeping the entire planet.

Why is this true? How is low fat food the father of obesity/type 2 diabetes? Or Mr. jerkoff scientist 4 that matter?

• menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Humanity ate full fat for eons until some jerkoff scientist with an agenda came along in the 50's with false data and claimed fat was bad and would kill you.

He was full of you know what and is the father of the obesity/type 2 diabetes epidemic now sweeping the entire planet.

Why is this true? How is low fat food the father of obesity/type 2 diabetes? Or Mr. jerkoff scientist 4 that matter?

Google Ancel Keys and the Seven Nations study.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

thing is full fat for some of us can kill us(raises cholesterol dangerously high(. especially those of use who have certain cholesterol/liver issues.