WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Joyce it just dawned on me how different your life is this year now that you and Charlie are so much healthier - it must be such a blessing to you to have the worries of that time behind you. I know it's a blessing to me to hear that you two are doing so well
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka – I agree on the tentacles or any seafood (or evidence of seafood like dirty dishes in the sink) left in the kitchen area. And I once worked with a gal who’d eat lunch at her desk (she’d fritter away her lunch hour shopping or doing things other than eating, hence chow on work time). She was a good one for eating salmon, tuna, herring or cooked broccoli – I love those foods in a proper dining area but she’d stink up the whole lobby with it.

Hehehe ,,, I actually do that. :) To be fair, most of the office do. We all eat at our desks (there's nowhere else to eat), and most of us spend our lunches running errands, walking etc. :grin:

But most of us make food that smells really good. In fact, I started going out for a walk or running errands between 1 and 2 pm because the place smelled so good and it was tempting to eat more than I should.

However, periodically someone will have a particularly authentic Asian dish ...

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lenora so sorry about your ankle, heal up quick!

Beth Are you heading to TN for your sons return to college soon?

Barbie I'll bet that wasn't easy to switch insurance agents, but a smart financial move.

Feeling rested and ready for the tumultuous week ahead--always a bit bumpy with DD off to school and me getting the school year restarted. I've been reflecting on new year goals (it's like Jan. 1 but better) and as always looking for my quote to guide me through and set a tone for my work. When I find it, I know I will share with all you supportive, wise women.

NYKAREN
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heathercoh wow, cheese and mozart in one day? Heaven :) that's my
    Kind of sightseeing!
    NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning all... for a change, no plans or travel for the weekend... so I'll just cocoon with the hubby and Egg. :)

Love y'all,
    Later,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did 45 min of Personal training with Jackie DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do The Firm Power yoga DVD then go to PA.

I'll probably go to Bev's Ceramics in Haymarket today. Vince saw something that he wanted.

drkatiebug - what a wonderful suggestion! Why should I do all the work ? And if she doesn't have an email address, I'll email them to Denise. But I really should email them to her. PLUS, that'll save me postage and time. Wonderful suggestion!

Sue - another thing to take in the car -- if you want to take something to drink, I usually take the small cans (something like 5oz) of the V-8. Or else they also sell those individual boxes of soy milk. Those don't have to be refrigerated. Yes, eating healthier has changed my taste buds. Now if I even smell something deep fried, my stomach turns. I won't even go into mentioning what it feels like if I eat something fried.

Katla - halitosis and bad hair for Amanda would be real nice. She works in a dentist office (she's probably something like a receptionist) so halitosis would be real funny. Especially if she doesn't realize that she has it. Good luck on your trip

Rye - remember someting to drink (see my note to Sue), dried fruit is quite sweet (those mini boxes of raisins?)

Lenora - I'm so sorry about your toe/foot

Lenora - I have held restraint mainly because I know the stress Denise is under and I don't want to add to it...right now. But after the honeymoon she'll be picking up her cat at Jess', she mentioned that she'd like my dress (was she just being nice?)..so I'll have it cleaned and give it to her. At that time I want to tell them how very much Maria hurt me. They don't need added stress right now. I'm also going to mention how she ran the reception, she ran the bridal shower, and she'll run the marriage...even if they don't see it. And should they have children, she'll run how the children are raised, too. But for now, I'll just vent here. Maria only has 2 sons, she never had a daughter. I wasn't raised in the South, I was raised in NJ, then we moved to PA. It's only been the last 10 years that I've been in the south. But you know what? Someone was at our house a while ago and I gave them some food, Vince mentioned how "you never leave this house empty-handed". She just said "you must have been raised in the South". Nope...that's just the way I was brought up. Never go anywhere emptyhanded.

My grlfriend called Jess yesterday. She's the godmother of Denise and she's the friend whose house I went to after school after my mother died. She told Jess that she won't be at the shower because her mother is real sick. She has altzheimers, has for a while. In June she got pneumonia and c-diff. I just found out that having altzheimer's she doesn't want to eat, the altzheimer's evidentally somehow blocks the message to the brain to be hungry. Really, carol said that it's day to day right now. She does plan to be at the wedding. she said she'd mail a check to Jess since denise isn't registered anywhere. I hadn't spoken to Carol in years. I do hope she is able to come to the wedding so we can get caught up. She was saying that Bob (her husband) is talking about moving to FL. I swear, everyone seems to be moving to FL. Used to be that when we went down there, we were alone. Now we have this one and that one to go see. Wish the state wasn't so big.

Heather - thanks so much for sharing your pics. Makes me feel like I'm there

Michele from NC now in VA for a few days
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Boy, sometimes it gets really hot here. I'm sure they have the thermometer turned down for when they're at work, so during the day it gets really hot, and the heat rises so the room upstairs that I usually stay in, well, heat rises. Last night I slept 1/2 the night on the couch downstairs. But afterwards I did go upstairs. Only they don't have a sheet on the bed, only a blanket. I wanted SOMETHING on me, but the blanket was way too much.

Oh well, I know she's just getting started.

So glad I brought some of those small applesauce cups. I put a few in the freezer.

Rey - forgot to mention the applesauce. That's something else that doesn't need refrigeration.

Michele in VA from NC
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I am going to do nothing much today. Have a recipe for pico de gallo and might give that a try. Need to go fiddle with the weed-eater to see if I can fix it, else my nothing much will include a trip to Home Depot (which is next to Dairy Queen, Cracker Barrel, Red Robin, and Olive Garden). Grocery shopping-I have a 10$ coupon off 50$. My frig is full--thinking buy toilet paper and detergent. And, of course, go to Y and possibly sweep or rake or maybe just yank up some weeds. I have already had one deviled egg.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Michele - I am sincerely hoping once the stress of the wedding is over Pete's mom will come back down to earth. If not, it's probably good she doesn't live in the same town as you do - no chance of running into her at the grocery store and being reminded of her micro-managing. :s Have you ever met her in person?

Katla - best wishes for safe travels! Hope you are able to avoid nasty traffic.

Heather - OH MY WORD - did anyone play that organ while you were there? I assume it's still in working order? Spectacular. Did you purchase any cheese to bring home? Thanks again for taking us along on your vacation. Hope you feel better as it comes to a close.

Carol - so glad your PT is working! My last day at PT is this coming Monday, and he's going to get me using surgical tubing/bands to do stretches and upper back exercises. It has definitely helped me.

Barbie - great you found insurance you'll like better. May I ask what company you switched to?

Lenora - OUCH - glad the swelling is going down and hope you didn't knock something loose. Are you keeping it iced and elevated? I've broken my little toes several times I'm sure and it's rough when you have things to do!

Ginger - your goal setting journal continues to impress me. Thanks for posting it again!

Joyce - I keep forgetting to mention how neat it is that Charlie loves the karaoke so much. So many of our guys "hole up" after retirement and don't want to get out in public anymore. I think it's good for their mental health! I know it's good for ours, lol.

Pip - good luck with the curtain lady! For her sake I hope she shows up on time and makes you extremely happy! B)

Last night on the radio they played a newsfeed from Feb 26, 1979 when there was a total eclipse in Portland. Evidently Portland had cloudy weather, but Goldendale WA east of there had clear skies. I guess the "totality" was truly something to behold - not only did it get dark, but the air got chilly as well. There were crowds back too. They mentioned a 9' tide on the coast but I didn't catch if it was back then or projected for this Monday.

That's the quick catch up. Have a great weekend!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Lanette - we bought a big wedge of that cheese to take back with us for lunch as we have nothing fresh in the house. Also bought some dark rye bread. :D
    The organ did play for a little while, but they were getting ready for a concert a bit later.
    Haarlem was lovely, but the old town square was completely obscured by a big stage and food tents, just like in Wismar. Luckily the band wasn't playing this time. We walked over a canal, lined with old houses and visited the church where the organ is. The columns of the church are painted in an unusual style of painting called "tapestry", which is exactly what it looks like.
    Had a lovely lunch of beef carpaccio and salad in a very Dutch style café.
    Then caught the bus back. We got the driver to drop us off nearer the ship as, in the morning, we walked for 45 minutes to the bus stop someone had told us about. :grumble: I was not happy. Grrrrrrrrrr!
    Now our last evening. Got to pack up and put suitcases outside the door by 10 pm. Just keep hand luggage.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Michele -

Pip - good luck with the curtain lady! For her sake I hope she shows up on time and makes you extremely happy! B)

Last night on the radio they played a newsfeed from Feb 26, 1979 when there was a total eclipse in Portland. Evidently Portland had cloudy weather, but Goldendale WA east of there had clear skies. I guess the "totality" was truly something to behold - not only did it get dark, but the air got chilly as well. There were crowds back too. They mentioned a 9' tide on the coast but I didn't catch if it was back then or projected for this Monday.

That's the quick catch up. Have a great weekend!

Lanette
    SW WA State

well today is the day. the awning is on, going to meet the lady at the dealership at 11am and u r right. for her sake I hope they fit and she's there on time. I might be a little late on purpose, I dunno...

my shifter on my bike is not working right so I am going to take it to the bike shop so it can be ready for the MS ride. I have my winter bike I can take in the meanwhile. Kirby said they may have the bike for a week

katla[/b I sent it the day that I posted I did.if you are away by the time you get it, oh well. I knew I wouldn't have all the signatures by the time of the ride anyway, so it will be a continual thing and I will have more for next year.

did I tell you Kirby bought a go pro?? he wants to record the ride for memories... he is tinkering with it now so he can get the bugs out so by the time the ride gets here, he will have it down pat. I'm excited. he has a chest strap and a helmet strap.

did I tell you that we joined the new gym? its the one in the old building where the old gym used to be, just new name. called fit republic. they are out of California, first one here in Washington. last day at the y is the end of the month. I will get to have a locker and it's 1mi away from home. Kirby and I will have a much shorter ride together in the morning. funny, we are going back where we started.

later peeps

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Michele personally I like the word NO! It sounds like this woman likes to have people jump through hoops for her. If she had given you more time that would be different. You could just say I don't have time to do this on such short notice. She'll repeat the pattern, so if you don't want to say no this time you will be ready for the next time. Daughter will need to learn this skill too. There is a reason fences make good neighbors. Clear boundaries.

Lenora some plants are more susceptible to bugs than others. Hibiscus is one of the worst. Keeping the plant healthy is the key. Right light, water, and feeding. Living up north I do bring plants I have outside inside over the winter. I spray them with a soap solution and then cover them in plastic for a couple of days. Since I started doing this I have fewer bug problems. You were smart to separate the infested one from the other plants.

Heather
    beautiful cool.

Lanette I remember that eclipse. I was working and we all went outside to see it. They say there can be a 10 degree drop in temperature because of it.

:heart: Margaret
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well ... I took a "day off" from our posts and am soooooo behind again. I've read through pg. 39 and will try to do the rest while at work.

Marcelyn - love the pictures of the dive. One of our Y members is a dive master and he is in Roatan now on a dive.

Heather - you should write for a travel log/travel mag. I feel like I am on the adventure with you.

Allie - thinking of you. It sounds like you are getting good advice from attorney and are being very proactive. I told my DH he had the summer to show me his "changes". Right now I am working on me and what I want out of life. I plan to ask him for a 6 month separation to give me space. I don't plan on the separation making any difference in him (barring a miracle - which I do believe in - but know won't be happening with him) I cannot believe anyone is more clueless than DH as far as self awareness is concerned. He is bringing me down and I don't need that anymore.

Ginger - good to see you

Loving everyone's news, pics, etc.

The Eclipse is Coming, The Eclipse is Coming!!!!! 14,000 extra passengers at the Nashville Airport this weekend and about 1,000,000 tourists coming to the area. Yikes! I am staying put in my neighborhood, thank you very much!

TNToni

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)