Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    People need to stop acting as if modern, empirical based medicine is infallible. It’s absolutely not. People treated by medical doctors remain sick or die despite treatment all the time, just like they do when they visit holistic or alternative practitioners instead. People treated by medical doctors GET sick or die BECAUSE of their treatment all the time, just like they do when they visit holistic or alternative practitioners instead. The reasons all those symptoms have to be disclosed in pharmaceutical commercials in that modern medicine has associated risks, just like there are risks associated with holistic or alternative medicines.

The important thing should be whether or not a person’s quality of life is improved. If it is, who *kitten* cares if they farted twice, paid homage to Ra and ate 9lbs of salt to do so? If it is, who are you to judge the means by which their lives are bettered? Do you care about people being happy and healthy or do you care about being right?

I care about people not being taken advantage of by charlatans with no medical or other training who pray on the illnesses of others to make money. Turning a blind eye and supporting people just because something makes them happy or feels good is, in my opinion, a bit ridiculous.

Medical error is the third leading cause of death in the US FYI. I don’t advocate abandoning modern medicine because it sometimes doesn’t work out. Why would I advocate abandoning alternative medicine because it sometimes doesn’t work out?

I also have a hard time thinking of a better reason to support someone than they are making themselves happy and healthy. That is pretty much the point of life, is it not?

I'm curious - what qualifies as a medical error?

And now I wonder what the rate of damage is in holistic medicine.
    #of cases where something bad happens from holistic medicine vs. #of people taking it ´

and #of cases where medical aid didn't work out vs #of people taking regular medical aid.

I wonder which would be higher.

I am sure the holistic medical reporting databases are well-integrated, orderly, complete, easily accessible, with clean data. They are committed first and foremost to protecting their patients, right?

Dammit, beat me to it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    We have to limit it to "for the same ailment" then. What's the survival rate of cancer patients who only take holistic medicine vs. cancer patients who get actual medic aid?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    When I go to the doctor, I'm rushed through the system. The whole ordeal takes an hour or more and I get about 20 minutes of personal attention.

Judging from people I know who've been to alternative practitioners, these people spend an hour listening attentively to their patient and saying "I can help."

That's a very powerful placebo, and placebos do work. To an extent anyway. It's very self reinforcing.

This is a key element and why smart physicians have adapted their practices to actually listen to patients. Unfortunately this also requires the physicians to go "off the grid" and convert back to a cash only business. The documentation required to maintain insurance and medicare is one of the primary drivers.

It's only natural that competition steps in to fulfill an unmet customer expectation, but unfortunate when holistic practitioners continue beyond their capacity to heal/help.

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    One of the Doctors in the NHS practice where I'm registered, practices Acupuncture and has treated many - including my SiL successfully. I have no idea about the other things mentioned. Zoë Harcombe who has written several successful diet books, talks up the candida overgrowth idea. However, I don't think I'd spend good money learning what could be 99% cods-wallup.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    We have to limit it to "for the same ailment" then. What's the survival rate of cancer patients who only take holistic medicine vs. cancer patients who get actual medic aid?

Or even more narrow - "patients with the same type of cancer". Western medicine has concrete statistics to support the survival rate. But there are no such statistics kept by holistic medicine practitioners (even narrowing it down to those who practice the same holistic principles) to use for comparison, just anecdotal stories of how Aunt Bertha took three different tonics recommended by her naturopath, and her cancer was cured! Western medicine also keeps statistics on spontaneous remission.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Or even more narrow - "patients with the same type of cancer". Western medicine has concrete statistics to support the survival rate. But there are no such statistics kept by holistic medicine practitioners (even narrowing it down to those who practice the same holistic principles) to use for comparison, just anecdotal stories of how Aunt Bertha took three different tonics recommended by her naturopath, and her cancer was cured! Western medicine also keeps statistics on spontaneous remission.

Hypothetical question I know. But I'm absolutely sure of what the outcome would be, and that's why people need to be harsh with claims of holistic medicine. People's health is on the line.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    People need to stop acting as if modern, empirical based medicine is infallible. It’s absolutely not. People treated by medical doctors remain sick or die despite treatment all the time, just like they do when they visit holistic or alternative practitioners instead. People treated by medical doctors GET sick or die BECAUSE of their treatment all the time, just like they do when they visit holistic or alternative practitioners instead. The reasons all those symptoms have to be disclosed in pharmaceutical commercials in that modern medicine has associated risks, just like there are risks associated with holistic or alternative medicines.

The important thing should be whether or not a person’s quality of life is improved. If it is, who *kitten* cares if they farted twice, paid homage to Ra and ate 9lbs of salt to do so? If it is, who are you to judge the means by which their lives are bettered? Do you care about people being happy and healthy or do you care about being right?

I care about people not being taken advantage of by charlatans with no medical or other training who pray on the illnesses of others to make money. Turning a blind eye and supporting people just because something makes them happy or feels good is, in my opinion, a bit ridiculous.

Medical error is the third leading cause of death in the US FYI. I don’t advocate abandoning modern medicine because it sometimes doesn’t work out. Why would I advocate abandoning alternative medicine because it sometimes doesn’t work out?

I also have a hard time thinking of a better reason to support someone than they are making themselves happy and healthy. That is pretty much the point of life, is it not?

I'm curious - what qualifies as a medical error?

And now I wonder what the rate of damage is in holistic medicine.
    #of cases where something bad happens from holistic medicine vs. #of people taking it ´

and #of cases where medical aid didn't work out vs #of people taking regular medical aid.

I wonder which would be higher.

I am sure the holistic medical reporting databases are well-integrated, orderly, complete, easily accessible, with clean data. They are committed first and foremost to protecting their patients, right?

Hahah. Pretty much. There is SOME data on non-medical/holistic supplements. Although the FDA is not permitted to regulate non-medicine supplements like they do actual medicine.. however, they do post recalls related to them. Everything from Vitamin C supplements to protein powder to holistic cleanses and 'biotics.' These supplement recalls are most commonly for unlisted active ingredients (diet pills/cleanses often end up on the shelf containing illegal substances like sibutramine) or because they contain glass fragments from manufacturing, incorrect pills, particulate, or unlisted allergens (milk, nuts, processed in seafood factory, etc). Yes, medicines have recalls too, ALL the time. They also have inspections, sterile facilities, and their recalls are more commonly of the, "Lack of sterility assurance" and "below efficacy standards."
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    One of the Doctors in the NHS practice where I'm registered, practices Acupuncture and has treated many - including my SiL successfully. I have no idea about the other things mentioned. Zoë Harcombe who has written several successful diet books, talks up the candida overgrowth idea. However, I don't think I'd spend good money learning what could be 99% cods-wallup.

I have never seen, thank glob, but apparently there's one in my (NHS) practice who has gone full potato on alternative treatments and is forever pushing them on patients. There are a few who speak positively of him but most come out thinking WTF just happened. I guess people don't realise they can complain and report because I don't see how it's okay!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The danger in using patient satisfaction as a measure of performance.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/04/the-problem-with-satisfied-patients/390684/

I think transparency is key to seeing improvement in health care.

https://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/Caring-for-Quality-in-Health-Final-report.pdf
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Wait, there's a voodoo marriage spammer?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I realize I've probably created an issue where there is none here by conflating holistic and alternative medicine. If so, I apologize for my strawman. It's just that I don't often observe much differentiation between the types of alternative medicine.

A variety of people in my environment benefit from alternative medicine. My hairdresser who struggled for years with a PCOS/thyroid diagnosis has finally found relief through a blood-type diet (of all things) despite trying a host of prescription medications prior to that. A mechanic I work with was rear-ended on his motorcycle and now gets terrible headaches that are only relieved by acupuncture despite having a host of medications available to him. My husband finds relief in acupuncture that he can't achieve through pharmaceuticals as well. I manage a back injury and have avoided surgery through a combination of chiropractic, massage therapy and yoga with only extremely sparing use of pain killers and muscle relaxants.

I fully acknowledge that holistic medicine is unlikely to cure cancer but there can be relief for other conditions and there are a variety of alternative treatments out there.

i would argue there is a different between acupunture and the blood type diet. Acupuncture/chiro/massage therapy are documented as being helpful for certain conditions (there are studies to support the efficacy)...the blood type diet is woo - there is no data that even say its a legit diet (in fact, several of us on the boards who if we were to eat according to diet would have severe medical issues)

Just like Chiro is great for shoulder/back/neck pain/disfunction, less good for digestive issues.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

even if they end up killing themselves because they refuse to treat something that is medically treatable because of their believe in holistic medicine? (see the court cases of children dying because parents believed in holistic healing from what are treatable diseases)

These people would be failing the "and healthy" part of my equation.

Where I live, there is NO legal basis to force the non-institutionalized mentally ill to take their medication as prescribed. If we're not going to force people of certifiably diminished mental capacity to take medication they don't want to, then we certainly can't force people to undergo other forms of treatment, can we? The only reason those cases are of note is that the parents perpetrated something upon their children.

Self-determination is a basic human right, even when it results in self-harm. Adult people decide to compromise their health each and every day and there's nothing any of us can do about it aside from specific, strict circumstances that certainly don't amount to you disagreeing with their ideas about what constitutes legitimate medical treatment.

*missed a very important "NO"
This discussion has been closed.