Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Heck, dentists don't routinely use general anesthetic in Canada, either. Which makes me question the dentist under scrutiny right now.

I don't understand the comment about legally forcing the mentally ill to take their medication. Does your country require it or not?

There's such a thing as informed consent. Every person has a right to be fully informed of the consequences of their treatment. If a woo peddler makes outrageous claims, they can be called in to account/sued/decertified.

Hence the popularity of personal accounts and testimonials (woo peddler says "I didn't make these claims; my satisfied customers did.")

Hence the popularity of hair growth and weight loss aids (nobody dies).
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Are there any holistic practitioners of dentistry? How would they fill cavities?

Pebbles. All-natural.

this literally made my teeth cringe, i didn't know they could do that
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The active ingredient in Stevia was approved by the FDA long before the whole leaf was. It's a lot easier to work out the side effects of a single ingredient.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The active ingredient in Stevia was approved by the FDA long before the whole leaf was. It's a lot easier to work out the side effects of a single ingredient.

Sure, very true. But the Guaraní people of South America have been using Stevia for at least a thousand years.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Also tested and ingested by South American native tribes; tobacco, cocoa, cocaine, ebene, yopo, peyote, morning glory, and ayahuasca. To name a few.

https://www.culturalsurvival.org/publications/cultural-survival-quarterly/hallucinogenic-plants-and-their-use-traditional-societies

You don't ingest Morning Glory, you soak in a warm tub full of it. Totally not worth it btw.

Edit: apparently ingestion can include absorbtion, but is usually applied to single cell organisms.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    Holistic. Surely one of the most abused and misunderstood words in modern times. In essence, holism is a sound and sensible approach to fields like medicine, farming and more. But the word itself has been hijacked by an entire subculture of airheads and fairy witchdoctors. And the greatest irony of all is their approach is routinely not holistic at all.

OP, holistic medicine with all its failings is a growth industry. Armed with your Certificate of Woo, you can make a good living. But if you care about actually helping people I would urge you to take a holistic approach to your studies and decide for yourself where the lines of health and hokum diverge.

And to the many who have decided to put all their eggs in the modern western medicine basket. I really think you are badly limiting your options. Most of the things pharmaceutical companys make were'nt invented or discovered in a lab. They are just synthesized versions of the herbs, roots and flowers jungle tribes have been using for millennia to treat illness. And the only reason they synthesize at all is because you can't patent a natural extract.
    Any good western doctor will tell you, modern medicine doesn't have all the answers and is part of an industry that learns more every day. EBM is great, it's a solid base to work from and I'm a big fan. But limiting one's self to only the things someone has bothered to spend the money on proving and getting through FDA or similar approval is just silly. Try telling the thousands of people who are getting real results treating child seizures with cannabis oil that it's hokum, because it doesn't have approval and a sufficient body of clinical testing evidence.

FWIW my little brother's seizures have been under control with medical marijuana - the occurrence is down about 95% from his previous treatments (of which there were MANY over the past 23 years). YMMV

I think marijuana is one of the rare situations where it was actively prevented from being used medicinally and legally (and is still completely illegal in the UK). Even now it's not being prescribed in the "traditional" way which is frustrating as hell due to the number of things it could potentially be used for. I'm sure someone knows why and I'm naturally inclined to think it's because it was one of the first drugs to be demonised and part of the "war on drugs". Same for hallucinogens that could have some interesting applications but because fo their leak and use recreationally back when it was developed there's a big nope on it too (though isn't there some research now being done? Did I make that up?).

And then again I could be making up conspiracy theories, I'm open to that too. But I think the above examples are not the norm on the whole when people try to say effective treatments are withheld from us because x.y.z.
This discussion has been closed.