Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cutting out coffee or diet coke

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
edited January 2018 in Debate Club
This discussion was created from replies split from: Coffee or Diet Coke ?.

For those who wish to continue debating that various topics that came up when discussing cutting out coffee or diet coke.

P.S I ran out of time trying to split this so I just grabbed everything from the last 3 pages without reading, sorry if some of it isn't part of the debating.

4legs

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You can also argue this study vs that study etc but at the end of the day if it doesn't provide your body with something you need you probably should limit it at the least or avoid it all together.

I can take or leave diet soda, but it does have something you need -- water. [Edit, heh, GMTA, I guess.]

Can you get water from other sources? Sure, obviously, but you can get everything in coffee (or even a carrot or a steak) from other sources too, should you avoid them? Pretty much everything we consume will supply things we can get from other foods.

Should you "limit" diet soda? If you drink a whole lot, sure. Many people don't have trouble drinking a non excessive amount, though.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Depends how much diet coke you're drinking. If it's everyday give up diet coke. If it's like once a week than you don't have to give it up.

Sounds a bit arbitrary to me. Why is one bad and the other OK? Where exactly is the "line" because you seem to be drawing one and I'd like to understand where it is.

It's highly unlikely that there is a magic number that applies to everyone. But there is evidence that soda (cola in particular) is not healthy.

http://enews.tufts.edu/stories/802/2003/09/25/Tucker
    "Tufts University researcher Katherine Tucker examined the bone mineral density readings of more than 2,500 adult men and women and surveyed their soft-drink consumption patterns," reported The Los Angeles Times. "She found that women - but not men - who drank more than three, 12-ounce servings of cola per day had 2.3 to 5.1 percent lower bone mineral density in the hip compared with women who consumed less than one serving per day."

The researcher thinks it is phosphoric acid, but doesn't have a good explanation for why men don't seem to have the same results (she says men drink more and alcohol can be protective of bone, but they don't seem to have tested this out).

They said they eliminated "less milk" as a cause, but my guess is still that it could be a correlation, as there probably are other differences in diet and lifestyle, on average, between women who drink more than 3 colas a day vs. those who drink less than one.

That said, I generally think that moderation is probably advisable, and more than 3 12 oz sodas a day seems like quite a lot to me.

Going to go read the article. Did they eliminate activity level(actual not reported)