12346»

Replies

• MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    OP, I don't know you, and I don't know what thread you posted on, or who messaged you. I'm one who's known for being extremely supportive- but at the same time, there are times I'm downright blunt. There are people who think I'm mean, queen *kitten*, and my mere existence just pisses them off. BUT, I don't hide. Whatever I've got to say, I say it right out in the open. Anyone who's going to hide in PM and send you hate mail, isn't worth your time. Delete, ignore, move on. Not worth your time. Trust me, it's nothing I'd be losing any sleep over.

Wow. I can't believe you got flagged for the above. I hope people are aware that the mods are going to be taking into account those that flag posts just to flag the person.

I've got someone who absolutely hates my guts, and would probably flag something I posted if it said, "way to go" or "great job!" Seriously. What's even sadder, never even "met" or spoken to the person in a thread before. Have no clue who they are, but they absolutely abhor me. Haters gonna hate.

That's awful! And also extremely sad! Have you considered whether it could be someone you know IRL? I never identify myself online with photos or too much information because I'm afraid to say I have a stalking ex who has previous form for targeting anything and everything I post/write on various forums. It took a while to track down it was him responsible, lesson learn't!

To OP, report, block, delete, move on. Very few people like that around. Perhaps you touched a nerve with someone? I had one PM when I first posted on the forums which wasn't personal enough to bother reporting, but I did employ effective use of delete and block. Not had a repeat performance though, so don't give up!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    For those people asking whether one can unflag, say, if you flag by mistake or change your mind - something I found out a few days ago - yes you can.
    - Just re flag the post and it acts as an unflag.

Test it out on an obvious spam post and you will see for yourself.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This is all so confusing. I'm trying to understand all these flags and stuff but so far all I get are images of braveheart and joan of arc and stuff. Maybe I should just start being nice.

Nah.

Oh heavens no! And here, to cleanse all of those thoughts out of your head, here's a nice photo of Caligula and Caesonia. They'll encourage you to be good and naughty again! Like Caligula said, "Let them hate me, so long as they fear me!" He was the best of them all! :p

fdccb7862ec8453a2bfce8925e9f13c6.jpg

caligula sounds nasty.

They were all horrible! Every one of those Julio-Claudian Emperors! But I did like Empress Caesonia. I thought she was pretty cool. As far as the *movie* Caligula- yeah, it was a little *graphic* to say the least, but I LOVE Helen Mirren and Malcolm McDowell, so I did enjoy their acting, even if the movie itself was a complete disaster, they were awesome.
    Driving to the beach in Italy about an hour south of Rome there use to be a restaurant named "Caligula". It had a cartoon of him holding a long fork with 2 sausages on it, and said "carne arrosto"---roasted meat. I always laughed to see it, since he had a reputation for grilling people--literally. :)
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    hansolo420 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I posted in a forum on this site yesterday with some questions regarding eating habits. I received a private message from a very mean person saying very mean things that are not meant for a support site, or ever really. Is there anything I can do (besides blocking the user) so they cant do this to anyone else? This is supposed to be a supportive community. I am very disappointed.

I would just ignore it. My first day posting I had someone pm me saying, "you're not very smart about weight loss are you?" When I asked him to elaborate..because really..I had only made two posts at one point, neither were concerning weight loss, and I was curious to see what knowledge he thought I was missing out on he said "everything about weight loss you moron."

Not very helpful. Not very nice. Not. Worth my time worrying about.

I've since seen him posting not so nice comments in other threads with a different name. Picture is the same.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

You can report their PM to a mod. Rachel, Olivia, Ninerbuff, Psulemon, Darkon, Gemma. There are more but I don't recall right now.

Sorry someone felt the need to be that mean to you for whatever reason. People seem to think they own this site just because they spend all day everyday on here. It's lame.

This poster is right. If someone attacks you over PM, the admins can take a look and take action as necessary. If you feel more comfortable with certain mods, we can coordinate with the rest of the team. Our team has taken action against members for PM's before.

And if it makes you feel better, I frequently get hate mail lol

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    So, the flag is for reporting. What if someone clicks flag by accident, can they unflag it? I guess I could test it on one of my own posts. If we want our own post deleted, do we flag it? Does that work?

There is an option to request your post to be deleted under the report option (under the flag).

And the flag gives you options - spam, report or abuse. The only number that ends up showing up is if you flag it as spam. I really don't understand people flagging posts as spam as they aren't. It's kind of like they are hoping to bait people or something.

What I don't understand, is that under flag, you can also report, which also still has the options of spam and abuse. So I clearly don't understand the difference except you can see the number of flags posted.

And considering the number of random things flagged, I do not envy the mods at all...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This is all so confusing. I'm trying to understand all these flags and stuff but so far all I get are images of braveheart and joan of arc and stuff. Maybe I should just start being nice.

Nah.

Oh heavens no! And here, to cleanse all of those thoughts out of your head, here's a nice photo of Caligula and Caesonia. They'll encourage you to be good and naughty again! Like Caligula said, "Let them hate me, so long as they fear me!" He was the best of them all! :p

caligula sounds nasty.

They were all horrible! Every one of those Julio-Claudian Emperors! But I did like Empress Caesonia. I thought she was pretty cool. As far as the *movie* Caligula- yeah, it was a little *graphic* to say the least, but I LOVE Helen Mirren and Malcolm McDowell, so I did enjoy their acting, even if the movie itself was a complete disaster, they were awesome.
    no the word sounds like a sex act. caligula

What's worse, Caligula means "little boots". It must have been a hard name to live with.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Nah.

caligula sounds nasty.

Driving to the beach in Italy about an hour south of Rome there use to be a restaurant named "Caligula". It had a cartoon of him holding a long fork with 2 sausages on it, and said "carne arrosto"---roasted meat. I always laughed to see it, since he had a reputation for grilling people--literally. :)

THAT is awesome! I wish you had a picture of that! That is epic!!! Love it!!!

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    For those people asking whether one can unflag, say, if you flag by mistake or change your mind - something I found out a few days ago - yes you can.
    - Just re flag the post and it acts as an unflag.

Test it out on an obvious spam post and you will see for yourself.

Thanks
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Hi everyone. I posted in a forum on this site yesterday with some questions regarding eating habits. I received a private message from a very mean person saying very mean things that are not meant for a support site, or ever really. Is there anything I can do (besides blocking the user) so they cant do this to anyone else? This is supposed to be a supportive community. I am very disappointed.

I would just ignore it. My first day posting I had someone pm me saying, "you're not very smart about weight loss are you?" When I asked him to elaborate..because really..I had only made two posts at one point, neither were concerning weight loss, and I was curious to see what knowledge he thought I was missing out on he said "everything about weight loss you moron."

Not very helpful. Not very nice. Not. Worth my time worrying about.

I've since seen him posting not so nice comments in other threads with a different name. Picture is the same.

Wow! Lol

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    was the mean PM ever posted in the thread?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    was the mean PM ever posted in the thread?

It's against the forum rules to post a pm in the forum
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of emotionally insecure people on this site. A significantly amount of people here have had periods in their life of low self-esteem. Some of them take it out on other people on the site through sarcasm and asinine levels of rudeness.
    I agree 100. Percent. Sorry about your experience
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get harassed on this site all the time too. It's weird how occasionally you run across a personality that just doesnt work with yours and you butt heads but then they cant ever let it go. It's exactly the same as real life. Everyone is just so different and theres no way to make all the personalities love each other. Some people spent more energy on lashing out, some people spent more energy on lifting up, some people just run around doing stuff.

Try to let it go. It's easier said than done if they hit a juicy trigger point, but theres enough real problems out here in our own worlds to let some twisted online personality make us feel crappy for any reason.

They don't know us. They don't have our welfare at heart. They want nothing good for us. So its an awesome thing that we can leave them in the ethernet and continue about our day.

(*)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

You can report their PM to a mod. Rachel, Olivia, Ninerbuff, Psulemon, Darkon, Gemma. There are more but I don't recall right now.

Sorry someone felt the need to be that mean to you for whatever reason. People seem to think they own this site just because they spend all day everyday on here. It's lame.
    What's interesting is the rate that those whiny angry messages have been going out.

It seems like the frequency upped with the new forum style. I've been on this site for however long. Never a peep out of the cretins. New forum style comes out, and i'm posting nicer commentary... two angry pms from people who can barely spell. It's like... lulwut.

At the end of the day, screw em.

They made it easier to report people. You dont need to change screens or explain yourself. Just click the cute icon.

Cmon, we all know that the majority of people who flag things as offensive are the same people here asking for shortcuts to everything else as well.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Yeah I get harassed on this site all the time too. It's weird how occasionally you run across a personality that just doesnt work with yours and you butt heads but then they cant ever let it go. It's exactly the same as real life. Everyone is just so different and theres no way to make all the personalities love each other. Some people spent more energy on lashing out, some people spent more energy on lifting up, some people just run around doing stuff.

Try to let it go. It's easier said than done if they hit a juicy trigger point, but theres enough real problems out here in our own worlds to let some twisted online personality make us feel crappy for any reason.

They don't know us. They don't have our welfare at heart. They want nothing good for us. So its an awesome thing that we can leave them in the ethernet and continue about our day.

(*)

:flowerforyou: