Options
1234568»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    111grace wrote: »
    for those who don't like keto and have lost weight send me a plan and motivation on what worked for you, would appreciate all HELP, I have tried and failed for 14 years! I am at my wits end! some say diary good for you, but I have asthma/ lung infection that does not work, exercise a pain in the chest! I just want to get this albatross out of my neckand back, sick of being in the obese range, no matter how much I study about eating I cannot seem to put a motivated plan together! something is missing! maybe problem only using 10% brain matter!

grace I did about three things at the same time so I am not sure what cleared up my chronic lung infection of 20 plus years.

Started by getting heavy into virgin coconut oil (about 4-8 tablespoons a day) which was tough for a few weeks due to the Herxheimer effect I expect. Shortly after starting VCO I started reducing sugar, carbs, grains.

A month ago I go really serious and cut all added sugar and bread and try to hold the carbs to 20 grams a day now.

Not hacking up stuff from the lungs now is worth all my effort. The decrease in my arthritis related pain was my initial goal so that is a huge plus. I have lost about 8 pounds the last month so that is a plus.

grace do not give up. You will find a way forward to your goal to cut some weight.

Every post you make is about coconut oil.
    8 tablespoons of oil is almost 1000 kcals. That's at least half of the average daily intake with no vitamins, fibre or protein.
    How is that healthy or in any way satisfying?

Almonds, almond milk, coconut meat, burgers, fried chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, vitamins, fish oil, etc is some other things that I regularly eat and I just assumed most on this site knows man is not to live by fat alone. :smile:

Fred the subject is Ketosis. Without fat it is hard to get into Ketosis. Coconut oil is my main fat and the is why i will be mentioning it in most every post. As you know I started coconut oil well before I really knew about ketosis and the pros and cons. It is true days when I eat 2000+ calories I often do not lose any weight. At this point I am flexible on when and how much I eat. If I am in the office my schedule is known. When I take off to help my brother haul corn on my truck my schedule is unknown because if the combine is shelling corn trucks need to be waiting on the combine and not the other way around. Also the grain elevator closes at 6 pm. I have no interest in obsessing over my diet but being in the learning stage I do talk about it a lot.

Fred what is the main fat you use to get and stay in nutritional ketosis?

By the way I selected coconut oil to this point because it contains a lot of medium chain triglycerides that get shunted to the liver and converted into ketones that I use to power my body instead of glucose alone.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Personally i tried a keto diet for a few months, ketosis made me so sick. I would vomit, be light headed and get major headaches.

While i lost a lot of weight on the ketogenic diet the side effects were not worth it for me.

If it works for you, i am glad - do whatever does.

Thanks for stating that so all will know ketogenic diets do not work for everyone. I was very sick but after about a month the sickness, hot flashes, etc went way. Today I have really overdone it on the coconut oil and do feel tired and sleepy and will note that does not work so well for me. :)

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    radmack wrote: »
    steve098 wrote: »
    radmack wrote: »
    parkscs wrote: »
    On the other hand, someone that is predisposed to kidney or liver problems may be exposed to a greater risk of kidney or liver problems if their protein intake is on the high side, and the average protein intake recommended for a healthy individual on these forums and pretty much in any fitness community would expose that the individual predisposed to kidney/liver problems to a higher degree of risk. Thus, one could conclude that even the recommended IIFYM protein intake can (in some rare situations) lead to a greater risk of kidney and liver failure.

What level of protein intake would cause problems for people predisposed to Kidney issues?

Talk about this to your Nephrologist, of course.

I was asking the person who posted the portion in quotes.
    You aren't talking to me but the CDC, American Heart Association, and the Mayo Clinic all recommend healthy adults get between 10% and 35% of their calories from protein. Ketosis diets usually consume between 20&30% btw.

I haven't yet come across a hard and fast number for kidney failure. It depends upon the person's kidney health. I'll keep looking.

Here is a study on it though. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/
    This paper reviews the available evidence that increased dietary protein intake is a health concern in terms of the potential to initiate or promote renal disease. While protein restriction may be appropriate for treatment of existing kidney disease, we find no significant evidence for a detrimental effect of high protein intakes on kidney function in healthy persons after centuries of a high protein Western diet.

Like I said, I'm still looking, but I have a life outside MFP. Certainly others can google as well as I. HTH.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    for those who don't like keto and have lost weight send me a plan and motivation on what worked for you, would appreciate all HELP, I have tried and failed for 14 years! I am at my wits end! some say diary good for you, but I have asthma/ lung infection that does not work, exercise a pain in the chest! I just want to get this albatross out of my neckand back, sick of being in the obese range, no matter how much I study about eating I cannot seem to put a motivated plan together! something is missing! maybe problem only using 10% brain matter!

grace I did about three things at the same time so I am not sure what cleared up my chronic lung infection of 20 plus years.

Started by getting heavy into virgin coconut oil (about 4-8 tablespoons a day) which was tough for a few weeks due to the Herxheimer effect I expect. Shortly after starting VCO I started reducing sugar, carbs, grains.

A month ago I go really serious and cut all added sugar and bread and try to hold the carbs to 20 grams a day now.

Not hacking up stuff from the lungs now is worth all my effort. The decrease in my arthritis related pain was my initial goal so that is a huge plus. I have lost about 8 pounds the last month so that is a plus.

grace do not give up. You will find a way forward to your goal to cut some weight.

8 tablespoons of oil is almost 1000 kcals. That's at least half of the average daily intake with no vitamins, fibre or protein.

OMG...EIGHT tablespoons of Coconut Oil a day. I would need to stay in the bathroom. I'm quite large and more than 2 tablespoons a day and my stomach is paying for it.

MelRC117 that was true about heavy coconut oil usage in my case for about the first four weeks. From reading it seems to be from the kill of bacterial, yeast and perhaps parasites at least. Since that time the bathroom timing is optional I have found. For most of my life pre coconut oil I had no option on timing of bathroom breaks. Firm stools is not a good subject for a dinner party but after a life time of loose stool it is hard to not be excited about it taking a few minutes to do your business vs. 15 seconds but some here know what I mean. :(

Yes I would like to shed another 45 pounds and will but working on improving my quality of life in general is equally important.

As for your limit being 2 tablespoons a day I think everyone is different but now I can do 15 tablespoons a day and still have firm stools. Do you think you have killed of all the unwanted things in you? I just know in my case after I though I was going to die for a week or two it all went away. My AS is thought to be caused by KLEBSIELLA so I wanted it all gone if possible even if it is 50 years late. Food allergies, acid re-flux, etc is though by some to me due to made critters living and growing inside of us. I wanted them all gone if the coconut oil would do the job.

http://www.kickas.org/medical/11.shtml

"The presence of specific anti-Klebsiella antibodies in AS patients, during acute phases of the disease, clearly indicates that these patients have recently been exposed to these specific bacteria, and the speculative proposal is being made that the consequent immune response leads to secondary pathologic complications of "reactive arthritis," especially in a genetically susceptible host, such as one carrying HLA-B27."

Both of our kids are also HLA-B27 positive so I am pushing harder then i would just for myself. I am willing to be the guinea pig for my kids so they hopefully can prevent the life I have lived due to AS by my research and personal testing. As their father I passed them the HLA-B27 factor that puts them at risk. At 17 they have most of their life ahead of them based on the law of averages.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Interesting. Seems like there are conflicting recommendations on protein level for those at risk of kidney disease. Anywhere from .4g per kg of body weight to 1g. Which sounds an awful lot like the 10%-35% I previously mentioned for healthy folk. Also the kind of amino acids matter significantly when talking about kidney disease. It also depends on whether or not the patient requires dialysis or not. Some sources say low-protein, others say "controlled protein". All agree high protein is bad for unhealthy kidneys.

EDIT: liver disease is a whole other ball of wax. The recommendation for protein is no more than 40g daily. Or no more than 4-5oz for women and 6oz for men (plus 1-2 cups milk), again depending on the source. These are unhealthy livers to begin with and it depends on whether or not you have received a transplant or not and doctor recommendations.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Almonds, almond milk, coconut meat, burgers, fried chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, vitamins, fish oil, etc is some other things that I regularly eat and I just assumed most on this site knows man is not to live by fat alone. :smile:

Fred the subject is Ketosis. Without fat it is hard to get into Ketosis. Coconut oil is my main fat and the is why i will be mentioning it in most every post. As you know I started coconut oil well before I really knew about ketosis and the pros and cons. It is true days when I eat 2000+ calories I often do not lose any weight. At this point I am flexible on when and how much I eat. If I am in the office my schedule is known. When I take off to help my brother haul corn on my truck my schedule is unknown because if the combine is shelling corn trucks need to be waiting on the combine and not the other way around. Also the grain elevator closes at 6 pm. I have no interest in obsessing over my diet but being in the learning stage I do talk about it a lot.

By the way I selected coconut oil to this point because it contains a lot of medium chain triglycerides that get shunted to the liver and converted into ketones that I use to power my body instead of glucose alone.
    Not necessarily
    Quoting Lyle Mcdonald
    "Ketosis is an adaptation that occurs during total starvation and one of the roles is to spare body protein (by shifting the body's primary use of fuel from glucose to ketones). This is important when you're starving to death and not eating anything.

However the primary determinant of ketosis is carbohydrate intake (protein plays a secondary role).

Which is why very low carbohdyrate diets can cause ketosis and, in many ways, mimick what happens during starvation (in terms of the shifts in fuel utilization, ketone production, etc). but it does it while eating food.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Not necessarily
    Quoting Lyle Mcdonald
    "Ketosis is an adaptation that occurs during total starvation and one of the roles is to spare body protein (by shifting the body's primary use of fuel from glucose to ketones). This is important when you're starving to death and not eating anything.

However the primary determinant of ketosis is carbohydrate intake (protein plays a secondary role).

Which is why very low carbohdyrate diets can cause ketosis and, in many ways, mimick what happens during starvation (in terms of the shifts in fuel utilization, ketone production, etc). but it does it while eating food.

I should have stated, Without fat it is impossible to get into Ketosis. Thanks for catching that

• rererangi03
    rererangi03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ive been trying a keto diet im on my 10th day i cant believe it ive not stuck to any diet quite alike - and i actually eat more shite usually - if this some day harms me ill just count my lucky stars i think as id sure be dead on the other stuff i used to eat in the same time frame , am i in ketosis ? who knows i dont feel different yes the first 3 days i had a flueish head ache, but thats gone now - im not 100% sure im loosing weight but im sure i look smaller - im going to weigh in once a month at this stage 6kg is the amount of weight a month id be happy with on this diet - on the starve myself diet id like to loose that a week that how bad i feel on those diets hence never being able to stick it out - i dont know whats around the corner but if i loose 2 dress sizes ill then try adding another 10 carbs for the next month weighing myself at the end of the month and again till my body says no ie i gain weight - for me its about weight loss first then what % of carbs my bod will naturally digest.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Congratulation rererangi03!

I was trying to do a keto diet for 70 days before the scales dropped one pound but then I lost 8 pounds and have be steady again for a few days now. Now during the 70 days with the scales not moving I still lost an inch at my belt and my clothes were a tad bit more loose.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Breathalyzer-Breath-Alcohol-Analyzer-Detector-with-Flashlight-/290944896091?pt=US_Breathalyzers&hash=item43bdaacc5b

This is the meter that I use to see if any acetone is detected. While it is scaled for alcohol the numbers are without an specific meaning I guess. I think this meter may read low for the first 11-20 uses but now I tend to blow .03 or greater. At first it would be from .000 to .02 and many days like .005 even. It is easy to test if it is working by just starting it but never blow in it. They have some less than $15. The key is to NOT buy a $100-$300 meter because they tend to only read alcohol which makes them worthless to detect ketosis.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Living a low carb lifestyle got my diabetes and high blood pressure under control in 6 months. I lost 80 lb and feel emotionally better. This is not a lifestyle for everyone but it has proven to bge a healthier option for me than what I was living before.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    kathyklk wrote: »
    Newbie (to keto) question(s). Sorry if this is the wrong thread. Can I program MyFitnessPal to show net carbs for food values? If so, how? And I presume I should change my goals to reflect net carb totals, calories, and fiber. Anything else? Thanks!

If you use a computer with certain browsers there are add-ins to do this. Some items are in the food database as Net carbs already. https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/ allows fine tuning of macro settings.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Colleen118 wrote: »
    Living a low carb lifestyle got my diabetes and high blood pressure under control in 6 months. I lost 80 lb and feel emotionally better. This is not a lifestyle for everyone but it has proven to bge a healthier option for me than what I was living before.
    That's wonderful!

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Colleen118 wrote: »
    That's wonderful!

I agree Colleen plus that are those that want to discourage others from trying with half or less truths. Thanks for helping others with health issue to understand they need to read and see what they can about their options for better health.