Low(er) Carb Real Food

Options
Crisseyda
Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
Looking for open-minded, thoughtful mfp friends who are on a weight loss journey that focuses on mainly eating real, unprocessed, low(er) carb foods... no added sugars or grains! I'm not ketogenic, but I might be on certain days here and there.

And of course, realistically, we all cheat at times.

Replies

• WolnaDusza
    WolnaDusza Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi! I share your philosophy! Today was probably my best dietary day (check out my diary) and I'm looking to reduce carbs a bit more.

What are your stats? I'm 5'6" 190 35 yo female looking to get to 165. I started out at 210. I've been 165 before (size 8) and as low as 130 (size 6)....got that low doing strict Atkins but it was too hard to maintain so I'm looking to go a little higher in carbs and build more muscle. Send me a friend req if you like and good luck on your journey.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've stopped all grains too ... well, except at restaurants, for pizza, holidays, etc :smile: ... which ought to be impossible since I live in Asia, but isn't really because my husband has done it for (drum roll please) four years. Yes, even rice. He feels it's made a huge difference in various ways (though he has no idea if he has an allergy or anything), but a major aspect is simply that it eliminates empty calories. I'm finding the same thing now too. I do think it would be a lot tougher to keep to my calorie limit (1200) if I wasn't doing that.

I've never eaten much processed food and pretty much always cooked from scratch -- lots of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods when we lived in the States -- but going no-grain definitely helps banish that evil seductive processed snack food!

Will be in a "cheat phase" for the next few days since it's the Diwali holiday, but am usually pretty low-carb and all that. Sending a friend request, feel free to add me!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Real food? Is this opposed to pretend food?
  • Shewolfgurl
    Options
    I am beginning to do the alternate day diet with reduced carbs. Just starting so nothing amazing to report. I'm 5'4" and have about 60 lbs to lose. I plan on taking my time, doing gentle exercise due to a disability and being patient with myself when I have 'off plan' days. Good luck with your journey.. feel free to friend me :)
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

By real food, I mean largely unprocessed. No seed oils high in omega 6 fatty acids. Nothing what I would term "hyperpalatable." Nothing with added sugar, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, chemicals, preservatives, food dyes. Real grass-fed dairy, meat, pastured eggs.

Of course, all of that is an ideal situation, but it is a goal.

If I am going to cheat, it is going to homemade with real ingredients! Take a look at processed cookies on the shelf and see if you can find a single package without soybean oil instead of real butter.

I'm super excited for the holidays... I'm already planning some homemade egg nog!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....
  • Crisseyda
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....

I say low(er) carb because I just mean lower than the standard American diet. I just get my carbs from fruits and veggies... maybe potatoes and legumes once I get to my goal weight. I'm opting to prevent diabetes before it happens, as it is rampant in my family of origin.

I'm not truly ketogenic, but there a lots of benefits to going into Ketosis here and there (maybe with some intermittent fasting... ketogenic is just too strict of diet for me to maintain for more than a day here and there). Heck, it can even starve cancer cells!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120626131854.htm

I'm definitely not low fat!

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/nutrition/why-experts-now-think-you-should-eat-more-fat-20141020

http://www.businessinsider.com/experts-eat-more-fat-2014-10?IR=T
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I think you're looking for "whole food," not "real food."

I eat about 80% whole foods, but I include lots of whole grains in that. I do make a lot of my own breads and pastas, but I have whole-grain healthy prepackaged alternatives for when I'm feeling lazy.

I don't see the point in cutting out food groups that I know I'm going to want to eat later. Whole grains, pastas and winter squash are my staple foods right now. Is there a point to going into keto "sometimes" or cutting carbs "sometimes"? I mean, are there studies to back up any proposed outcomes? Just curious.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

By real food, I mean largely unprocessed. No seed oils high in omega 6 fatty acids. Nothing what I would term "hyperpalatable." Nothing with added sugar, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, chemicals, preservatives, food dyes. Real grass-fed dairy, meat, pastured eggs.

If I am going to cheat, it is going to homemade with real ingredients! Take a look at processed cookies on the shelf and see if you can find a single package without soybean oil instead of real butter.

I'm super excited for the holidays... I'm already planning some homemade egg nog!

hmmm so you are saying the rest of us eat "fake" food…?

You do realize that all food has chemicals in it, right?

oh and there is no different between "added" sugar and "natural" sugar, they are all the same and treated as your body as such….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »

no, no ..we all know that weight loss is extremely hard and you have to climate 99% of the "bad" foods and only then will you lose ...
  • Crisseyda
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

oh and there is no different between "added" sugar and "natural" sugar, they are all the same and treated as your body as such….

LOL, yes, I'm aware of how the body reacts to sugar, yes, I know all food has "chemicals" in it

If you're not sure what I mean by real food, you are welcome to ask....

per my original post, read *open-minded* as code for humble, critical-thinking, not assuming you know it all, not afraid to go against the grain (no pun intended)...
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    Is it just me, or does it seem like the people with the largest number of posts are the biggest haters???
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    there's a board for keto, you'll probably get more help there. less haters.
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »
    there's a board for keto, you'll probably get more help there. less haters.

Thanks, maybe I'm not looking in the right places. All I see are the main forums under message boards. There are only 11 of them?
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why some people are so very bothered by someone else using a phrase like "real food." Pretty obvious what it means, really.

And of course anyone can lose weight without going low-carb. You can lose weight living on Wonder Bread, astronaut ice cream and Budweiser. It's just a choice. For me, being fit is also about being more healthy, not just being thinner, and if I don't feel like allocating some of my daily calorie amount to companies that provide "food" that has empty calories and was made with what appears to be the shopping list for a chemical lab, why should this be controversial? Those who want to eat the shopping list are welcome to it, if they enjoy it. But why rag on folks who make different choices?

Hmmm, maybe they're paid by Wonder Bread et al ... but that's OK, everyone's gotta make a living :smile:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm wondering why some people are so very bothered by someone else using a phrase like "real food." Pretty obvious what it means, really.

And of course anyone can lose weight without going low-carb. You can lose weight living on Wonder Bread, astronaut ice cream and Budweiser. It's just a choice. For me, being fit is also about being more healthy, not just being thinner, and if I don't feel like allocating some of my daily calorie amount to companies that provide "food" that has empty calories and was made with what appears to be the shopping list for a chemical lab, why should this be controversial? Those who want to eat the shopping list are welcome to it, if they enjoy it. But why rag on folks who make different choices?

Hmmm, maybe they're paid by Wonder Bread et al ... but that's OK, everyone's gotta make a living :smile:

all food has chemicals in it…

I just take offense at having what I eat be called "fake"…sorry …

no calories are "empty" they are all an energy source…there are no bad or good calories, just ones you use for energy...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

LOL, yes, I'm aware of how the body reacts to sugar, yes, I know all food has "chemicals" in it

If you're not sure what I mean by real food, you are welcome to ask....

per my original post, read *open-minded* as code for humble, critical-thinking, not assuming you know it all, not afraid to go against the grain (no pun intended)...

yes, please define "real" food …?

If you know that all sugar is treated the same by your body, then you are you advocating avoiding "added" sugar….
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or does it seem like the people with the largest number of posts are the biggest haters???

the biggest haters of?!?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

the biggest haters of?!?

apparently it is hating to question why someone would classify other people's eating as "fake food" and to inject a little common sense into the discussion. ..
  • Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try looking at the Primal/Paleo Support Group listed under Groups.