• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    crisb2 wrote: »
    there's a board for keto, you'll probably get more help there. less haters.

Hater of what? Nonsense? Unscientific based info? Companies pitching any and all diets to make a profit? if you mean any of those I agree...if you don't then I'm not sure I would agree that they are haters....

I'll need some clarification on what you mean here.

There is actually a lot of science to back up choosing a low carb lifestyle. Especially considering the OP stated that there is a large amount of diabetes in her family. She would probably benefit tremendously from low carb.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    and sugar is sugar..at the molecular level it is all the same.

Can you please tell my pancreas that? It doesn't seem to understand the concept..

You must have a medical condition!

And the OP said she's trying to avoid a medical condition that's prevalent in her family history; yet, there are still people posting opposition to her want to eat a low carb diet, unprocessed diet.

Whether I have a medical condition or not doesn't matter. The body responds differently to different forms of sugar. To your body they are not the same.

Personally, I don't care what "diet" a person uses... but this whole paleo-clean eating- demonize anything from a grocery story type terminology needs to stop... it's annoying and hyperbolic.
    The word demonizing is kinda hyperbolic as well.

I'm not the one saying the food industry is evil and prepackaged food is bad.
    Again, I'd say this says more about you.

How exactly? Because I don't play in absolutes when it comes to food? I would rather make good choices on my own volition rather than because there is some big bad food boogy man that I supposedly need to avoid?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Sweet Mother of Pearl; some of you need a donut or Gelato.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

I'll take some Gelato... maybe I will eat some when I get home. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....
    Works for what?

I bet her mind would be blown if she realized someone was losing weight eating a low carb diet because...dun dun dun...you maintain a calorie deficit!

And she might be amazed to learn that different people have: different goals! :)

OP states shes on a "weight loss journey"

And that she's trying to avoid DIABETES.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....
    Works for what?

I bet her mind would be blown if she realized someone was losing weight eating a low carb diet because...dun dun dun...you maintain a calorie deficit!

And she might be amazed to learn that different people have: different goals! :)

Ah, right I forgot. Carbs = Diabetes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Hater of what? Nonsense? Unscientific based info? Companies pitching any and all diets to make a profit? if you mean any of those I agree...if you don't then I'm not sure I would agree that they are haters....

There is actually a lot of science to back up choosing a low carb lifestyle. Especially considering the OP stated that there is a large amount of diabetes in her family. She would probably benefit tremendously from low carb.

Can you please tell my pancreas that? It doesn't seem to understand the concept..

And the OP said she's trying to avoid a medical condition that's prevalent in her family history; yet, there are still people posting opposition to her want to eat a low carb diet, unprocessed diet.

Whether I have a medical condition or not doesn't matter. The body responds differently to different forms of sugar. To your body they are not the same.

Personally, I don't care what "diet" a person uses... but this whole paleo-clean eating- demonize anything from a grocery story type terminology needs to stop... it's annoying and hyperbolic.
    The word demonizing is kinda hyperbolic as well.

I'm not the one saying the food industry is evil and prepackaged food is bad.
    Again, I'd say this says more about you.

How exactly? Because I don't play in absolutes when it comes to food? I would rather make good choices on my own volition rather than because there is some big bad food boogy man that I supposedly need to avoid?
    :) ok
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Works for what?

I didn't say that, did I.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Works for what?

Is that a question or a statement.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Fake food:

plastic-fast-food-toys.jpg
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Meh, if they want to eat that way..that's fine. No one is forcing all of the world to follow in their footsteps. People will believe in what they want. It's not productive to get worked up over the word "real" and hijack the thread of someone who was looking for like minded friends.

I'm not religious so I stay away from churches.

The main point here is to not demonize food... there is no good food or bad food... it's just food... is there some food that is nutritionally better for you, sure... Processed foods are anything that is prepared... so technically, homemade chicken noodle soup made with organic, "clean", whatever descriptor of ingredients you want here is processed... putting food into catagories of "good" and "bad" does nothing but create a superiority complex of dieters and the people that hock them... I really really don't give a flying flip whether someone is vegan, paleo, IIFYM, Low fat, low carb, conventional, whatever... You do what's best for your body... Again, it's how the descriptors are used that ticks me off because you (in a general sense here) are using a broad brush to narrowly paint something just so you (again in general) can feel morally superior in your dietary choices. It's one thing to say "I don't eat pre-packaged food" or "meats raised conventionally"... but when we get into the "I don't eat processed foods" will that's ignorance talking, because like I said, virtually every food that lands on our table is some how processed... even if you are a raw vegan and just wash your food.

I don't think anyone is demonizing food. I also think that there is good and bad food. But, that's just how it is for some people. Some food is worse than other food.

I'm pretty sure someone can feel just as morally superior proclaiming they don't eat prepackaged food as someone saying they don't eat processed food. It's just words. Semantics, really.

I felt the OP's initial post was meant to be friendly. She was in search of like minded people. Then the ones who love to jump in at the sight of the awful phrase 'real food' came in and turned this into a debate. I hope she has better luck in the low carb board.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

True. I personally need a medium rare steak but I'm not getting one. :cry:
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Works for what?

Carbs don't equal diabetes but low carb can help prevent type 2 diabetes and lessen it's effects on those who already have it.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Works for what?

Looks like a statement. I don't see a question mark. :)
  • LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    Options
    eh nevermind... not worth it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

I felt the OP's initial post was meant to be friendly. She was in search of like minded people. Then the ones who love to jump in at the sight of the awful phrase 'real food' came in and turned this into a debate. I hope she has better luck in the low carb board.

That's exactly what happened.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Meh, if they want to eat that way..that's fine. No one is forcing all of the world to follow in their footsteps. People will believe in what they want. It's not productive to get worked up over the word "real" and hijack the thread of someone who was looking for like minded friends.

I'm not religious so I stay away from churches.

The main point here is to not demonize food... there is no good food or bad food... it's just food... is there some food that is nutritionally better for you, sure... Processed foods are anything that is prepared... so technically, homemade chicken noodle soup made with organic, "clean", whatever descriptor of ingredients you want here is processed... putting food into catagories of "good" and "bad" does nothing but create a superiority complex of dieters and the people that hock them... I really really don't give a flying flip whether someone is vegan, paleo, IIFYM, Low fat, low carb, conventional, whatever... You do what's best for your body... Again, it's how the descriptors are used that ticks me off because you (in a general sense here) are using a broad brush to narrowly paint something just so you (again in general) can feel morally superior in your dietary choices. It's one thing to say "I don't eat pre-packaged food" or "meats raised conventionally"... but when we get into the "I don't eat processed foods" will that's ignorance talking, because like I said, virtually every food that lands on our table is some how processed... even if you are a raw vegan and just wash your food.

I don't think anyone is demonizing food. I also think that there is good and bad food. But, that's just how it is for some people. Some food is worse than other food.

I'm pretty sure someone can feel just as morally superior proclaiming they don't eat prepackaged food as someone saying they don't eat processed food. It's just words. Semantics, really.

Maybe because using the term "real food" implies that others eat "fake food"... and is in my opinion creating the false dicotomy between foods. Again, in my opinion it's annoying.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Come on. . . . .just let it out. I bet you are either thinking something like 'southern' or 'sea salt' go ahead. . . . just say it.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Works for what?

Looks like a statement. I don't see a question mark. :)

Maybe in dare haste pudding they left the "?" out?!?

• LolBroScience
    Options

Come on. . . . .just let it out. I bet you are either thinking something like 'southern' or 'sea salt' go ahead. . . . just say it.

What?
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

Right, why would you want to hear anything scientific when it comes to low carb? That's ok. I don't feel like getting my scholarly articles out for someone who is just trying to cause trouble.

Bottom line, if you lower the overall blood glucose of those whose levels are on the high side..people with pre diabetes..you might prevent type 2. Just as those on low carb diets with type 2 diabetes have shown to be able to lower their a1c levels dramatically which allows them to lower insulin doses by an average of 95%.