Low(er) Carb Real Food

Options

Replies

• adamscrichard
    Options
    I was lucky enough to be able to train around 20hrs a week in a former life and so what I ate never really figured much in my decision.

However, now 37, looking to return to fitness I've spent a great deal of time reviewing and reading the options. Vegan, high protein paleo, vegetarian, high carb the lot. Where I've got to is this.

I believe that we are designed as vegetarians that occasionally eat meat. Our diet should consist of lots of great green veg, some fruits, some nuts, smaller portions of meat (and high quality stuff only) and highly limited intake of dairy.

I'm early doors in to this process and making a daily food diary is essential. It's harder to change than we think, but reviewing your daily progress (and failures) really helps.

I'm not anti-carb as it doesn't tell the whole story. I do believe however that we should not consume wheat or refined sugars.

Look forward to the discussion.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    These forums get so *kitten* toxic sometimes. Someone takes a chance asking people for support after committing to a lifestyle change, wanting to be healthier, and all they get is faeces thrown at them.
  • adamscrichard
    Options
    I was lucky enough to be able to train around 20hrs a week in a former life and so what I ate never really figured much in my decision.

However, now 37, looking to return to fitness I've spent a great deal of time reviewing and reading the options. Vegan, high protein paleo, vegetarian, high carb the lot. Where I've got to is this.

I believe that we are designed as vegetarians that occasionally eat meat. Our diet should consist of lots of great green veg, some fruits, some nuts, smaller portions of meat (and high quality stuff only) and highly limited intake of dairy.

I'm early doors in to this process and making a daily food diary is essential. It's harder to change than we think, but reviewing your daily progress (and failures) really helps.

I'm not anti-carb as it doesn't tell the whole story. I do believe however that we should not consume wheat or refined sugars.

Look forward to the discussion.
  • adamscrichard
    Options
    Sorry, for some reason my Mac decided to post it three times.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    These forums get so *kitten* toxic sometimes. Someone takes a chance asking people for support after committing to a lifestyle change, wanting to be healthier, and all they get is faeces thrown at them.

Whose throwing poop?

Were not a bunch of monkeys.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Looking for open-minded, thoughtful mfp friends who are on a weight loss journey that focuses on mainly eating real, unprocessed, low(er) carb foods... no added sugars or grains! I'm not ketogenic, but I might be on certain days here and there.

And of course, realistically, we all cheat at times.

That's more or less how I eat, usually. I don't believe in Evil Foods, mind, but I tend to eat fresh produce and meat.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    crisb2 wrote: »
    there's a board for keto, you'll probably get more help there. less haters.

Hater of what? Nonsense? Unscientific based info? Companies pitching any and all diets to make a profit? if you mean any of those I agree...if you don't then I'm not sure I would agree that they are haters....

I'll need some clarification on what you mean here.

There is actually a lot of science to back up choosing a low carb lifestyle. Especially considering the OP stated that there is a large amount of diabetes in her family. She would probably benefit tremendously from low carb.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    and sugar is sugar..at the molecular level it is all the same.

Can you please tell my pancreas that? It doesn't seem to understand the concept..
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Thanks, maybe I'm not looking in the right places. All I see are the main forums under message boards. There are only 11 of them?

There's a "Groups" item under the Community tab (when you're in the forums section, just look for it in the blue bar). You can then search for groups that might interest you.

I second the recommendation for Primal/Paleo Support Group. The Low Carber Daily Forum...The Group, Keto, and Reddit Keto groups are also good (even if you don't exactly follow their ways of eating, they're great resources for a number of things). The general forums are unfortunately not particularly friendly toward ways of eating that emphasize anything other than calories.

This. :flowerforyou:

And in response to the bolded phrase:
    That's putting it quite mildly.

I never understand why people are so offended by other people's eating choices. As if their choice to eat differently is a personal attack and judgment upon others. A person's choice has NOTHING to do with other people and everything to do with what is best for them.

Everyone is not necessarily in need of being put in their place because they inadvertently use word-choices that make you uncomfortable. It IS ok for people to have different opinions and goals. Wrong is wrong. Different isn't necessarily wrong.

New people blunder into a nasty minefield here. :disappointed:
    #1 Rule of MFP Club: Don't say sugar, carb, processed, real/fake food, or clean eating.

OP, I 3rd the recommendation. Good luck in your journey and keep doing what is right for you. :heart:

This!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Real food? Is this opposed to pretend food?

By real food, I mean largely unprocessed. No seed oils high in omega 6 fatty acids. Nothing what I would term "hyperpalatable." Nothing with added sugar, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, chemicals, preservatives, food dyes. Real grass-fed dairy, meat, pastured eggs.

Of course, all of that is an ideal situation, but it is a goal.

If I am going to cheat, it is going to homemade with real ingredients! Take a look at processed cookies on the shelf and see if you can find a single package without soybean oil instead of real butter.

I'm super excited for the holidays... I'm already planning some homemade egg nog!

hmmm so you are saying the rest of us eat "fake" food…?

You do realize that all food has chemicals in it, right?

oh and there is no different between "added" sugar and "natural" sugar, they are all the same and treated as your body as such….

LOL, yes, I'm aware of how the body reacts to sugar, yes, I know all food has "chemicals" in it

If you're not sure what I mean by real food, you are welcome to ask....

per my original post, read *open-minded* as code for humble, critical-thinking, not assuming you know it all, not afraid to go against the grain (no pun intended)...

yes, please define "real" food …?

If you know that all sugar is treated the same by your body, then you are you advocating avoiding "added" sugar….

I cringe when people use terms like 'real food' like they're better than other people who choose to eat food that doesn't fit into their limited range of what they deem to be acceptable. There are of course food types that are more nutritious than others, but there is no such thing as fake food. If you can eat it, it's 100% real. Demonising certain foods just isn't healthy. And no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it.

Ok, let me get this straight, "if you can eat it, it's real?"

Even if it an entirely new chemical compound, created only by humans, with proven, severe effects on health (increased risk for cardiovascular and metabolic disease)? A compound found in a majority of processed foods for decades? (Lots and lots of us ate it and continue to eat it.... and a lot of it).

I'm talking about trans fats. They are a by-product of an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil in order to make it solid at room temperature and more shelf stable. NOW we know that they are absolutely horrible for you. NOW the data is coming out, the FDA is slowly taking steps to reduce them... slowly...

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm372915.htm

You say, "no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it"? Actually, trans fat is case where actually there is NO recommended daily limit. The answer is just ZERO.

This is just one example of the difference between real and processed foods. I never used the term "fake." It popped into your head when you read "real." But yeah, when I see that "blueberries" in muffins are made of " sugar, corn syrup, starch, hydrogenated oil, artificial flavors, artificial food dye blue No. 2 and red No. 40," I definitely think "fake."

While the term "real food" might make you cringe... I cringe the more I learn about the food industry's cheap tactics and irresponsibility. Chemicals are tested and synthesized by industry, intensifying flavors from nature, with the exact purpose of making it so intense that you crave it.

Personally, I would rather cut out the lab-created, chemical flavors and enjoy the nuances of nature. Taste an apple and actually enjoy its intense sweetness. It takes time to adjust the palate, but now I'm at the point where asparagus actually does seem to have overtones reminiscent of birthday cake LOL

"Even if it an entirely new chemical compound, created only by humans, with proven, severe effects on health (increased risk for cardiovascular and metabolic disease)? A compound found in a majority of processed foods for decades? (Lots and lots of us ate it and continue to eat it.... and a lot of it).

I'm talking about trans fats. They are a by-product of an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil in order to make it solid at room temperature and more shelf stable. NOW we know that they are absolutely horrible for you. NOW the data is coming out, the FDA is slowly taking steps to reduce them... slowly..."

Such ignorance. What are CLA and TVA and where are they found?

IF they are animal-sourced, they are safe. Sadly, bro, the ones in processed foods are not.

You can throw around names like bro, but I'm a little more informed then you are.

"I'm talking about trans fats. They are a by-product of an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil in order to make it solid at room temperature and more shelf stable."

also here's another read

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009434

ok.... a quantitative review from 2010 that seems to suggest that animal trans fats have similar (detrimental) effects on the lipid profile.... and this is supposed to tell me?

You do realize that this still means they're bad for you? So...

Oh no I had no idea, or maybe I posted that in response to this statement from you?

"IF they are animal-sourced, they are safe. Sadly, bro, the ones in processed foods are not."

Dude, you fished out one quantitative review from 2010 from the Netherlands that even stated that it was questioning THE general consesus that animal trans fats not as harmful as "fake" trans fats.

And reality check... only you injected the words "fake" and "superior" into this conversation.

You're hostile, even if only mildly so... give yourself and correspondingly everyone else a break. CHILL

Please quote where I used the terms fake or superior in my response to you
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Hater of what? Nonsense? Unscientific based info? Companies pitching any and all diets to make a profit? if you mean any of those I agree...if you don't then I'm not sure I would agree that they are haters....

I'll need some clarification on what you mean here.

There is actually a lot of science to back up choosing a low carb lifestyle. Especially considering the OP stated that there is a large amount of diabetes in her family. She would probably benefit tremendously from low carb.
    and sugar is sugar..at the molecular level it is all the same.

Can you please tell my pancreas that? It doesn't seem to understand the concept..

You must have a medical condition!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    so rarely do we see posts that say "I'm looking for motivation from people who eat lots of synthetic crap." ... it can mimic real food, but just isn't it... yep, I loves me that Synthetic diet. (sarcasm)

seriously, I need to give up using canned/and bottled sauces. I've been taking the easy way out by adding canned tomatoes to my meals. I really could be doing so much better without them and all the preservatives added in that packaging process.

• RoseyDgirl
    Options
    seems like all the hating could actually be jealousy. :mrgreen:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Real food? Is this opposed to pretend food?

By real food, I mean largely unprocessed. No seed oils high in omega 6 fatty acids. Nothing what I would term "hyperpalatable." Nothing with added sugar, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, chemicals, preservatives, food dyes. Real grass-fed dairy, meat, pastured eggs.

Of course, all of that is an ideal situation, but it is a goal.

If I am going to cheat, it is going to homemade with real ingredients! Take a look at processed cookies on the shelf and see if you can find a single package without soybean oil instead of real butter.

I'm super excited for the holidays... I'm already planning some homemade egg nog!

hmmm so you are saying the rest of us eat "fake" food…?

You do realize that all food has chemicals in it, right?

oh and there is no different between "added" sugar and "natural" sugar, they are all the same and treated as your body as such….

LOL, yes, I'm aware of how the body reacts to sugar, yes, I know all food has "chemicals" in it

If you're not sure what I mean by real food, you are welcome to ask....

per my original post, read *open-minded* as code for humble, critical-thinking, not assuming you know it all, not afraid to go against the grain (no pun intended)...

yes, please define "real" food …?

If you know that all sugar is treated the same by your body, then you are you advocating avoiding "added" sugar….

I cringe when people use terms like 'real food' like they're better than other people who choose to eat food that doesn't fit into their limited range of what they deem to be acceptable. There are of course food types that are more nutritious than others, but there is no such thing as fake food. If you can eat it, it's 100% real. Demonising certain foods just isn't healthy. And no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it.

Ok, let me get this straight, "if you can eat it, it's real?"

Even if it an entirely new chemical compound, created only by humans, with proven, severe effects on health (increased risk for cardiovascular and metabolic disease)? A compound found in a majority of processed foods for decades? (Lots and lots of us ate it and continue to eat it.... and a lot of it).

I'm talking about trans fats. They are a by-product of an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil in order to make it solid at room temperature and more shelf stable. NOW we know that they are absolutely horrible for you. NOW the data is coming out, the FDA is slowly taking steps to reduce them... slowly...

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm372915.htm

You say, "no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it"? Actually, trans fat is case where actually there is NO recommended daily limit. The answer is just ZERO.

This is just one example of the difference between real and processed foods. I never used the term "fake." It popped into your head when you read "real." But yeah, when I see that "blueberries" in muffins are made of " sugar, corn syrup, starch, hydrogenated oil, artificial flavors, artificial food dye blue No. 2 and red No. 40," I definitely think "fake."

While the term "real food" might make you cringe... I cringe the more I learn about the food industry's cheap tactics and irresponsibility. Chemicals are tested and synthesized by industry, intensifying flavors from nature, with the exact purpose of making it so intense that you crave it.

Personally, I would rather cut out the lab-created, chemical flavors and enjoy the nuances of nature. Taste an apple and actually enjoy its intense sweetness. It takes time to adjust the palate, but now I'm at the point where asparagus actually does seem to have overtones reminiscent of birthday cake LOL

"Even if it an entirely new chemical compound, created only by humans, with proven, severe effects on health (increased risk for cardiovascular and metabolic disease)? A compound found in a majority of processed foods for decades? (Lots and lots of us ate it and continue to eat it.... and a lot of it).

I'm talking about trans fats. They are a by-product of an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil in order to make it solid at room temperature and more shelf stable. NOW we know that they are absolutely horrible for you. NOW the data is coming out, the FDA is slowly taking steps to reduce them... slowly..."

Such ignorance. What are CLA and TVA and where are they found?

IF they are animal-sourced, they are safe. Sadly, bro, the ones in processed foods are not.

You can throw around names like bro, but I'm a little more informed then you are.

"I'm talking about trans fats. They are a by-product of an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil in order to make it solid at room temperature and more shelf stable."

also here's another read

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009434

ok.... a quantitative review from 2010 that seems to suggest that animal trans fats have similar (detrimental) effects on the lipid profile.... and this is supposed to tell me?

You do realize that this still means they're bad for you? So...

Oh no I had no idea, or maybe I posted that in response to this statement from you?

"IF they are animal-sourced, they are safe. Sadly, bro, the ones in processed foods are not."

Dude, you fished out one quantitative review from 2010 from the Netherlands that even stated that it was questioning THE general consesus that animal trans fats not as harmful as "fake" trans fats.

And reality check... only you injected the words "fake" and "superior" into this conversation.

You're hostile, even if only mildly so... give yourself and correspondingly everyone else a break. CHILL

Please quote where I used the terms fake or superior in my response to you

I don't know how anybody can go back and tell anything the way the stupid quote boxes are behaving now. Geez. Click "show previous quotes" and see that mess. It's gonna break MFP. :grimacing:

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »

Whose throwing poop?

Were not a bunch of monkeys.

I dunno. This place resembles a bit of a zoo at times...

Keep up the interesting convo, y'all. I'm going to go eat two fatty chicken legs and then workout.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....
    Works for what?

I bet her mind would be blown if she realized someone was losing weight eating a low carb diet because...dun dun dun...you maintain a calorie deficit!

• PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or does it seem like the people with the largest number of posts are the biggest haters???

I had to switch to carb counting in May due to my diabetes. I have a tighter control on my blood sugars since than and I am down 26lbs. I have found that I don't want to take large doses of insulin so I don't eat foods high is carbs.

That being said, there are days you just have to have something high in carbs.

I love roasting veggies in the oven with olive oil and different seasonings. And my crock pot has become my best friend. A delicious roast beef, london broil or whole chicken. Never make the same thing twice since there are so many ways to season the food. My husband doesn't miss the potato or rice at dinner.

And don't let the negative comments bother you. No one diet works for everyone. I am a big advocate for Weight Watchers, however, it doesn't work well for me anymore due to carb counting. Right now, this works. You have to find what works for you. :smile:

• RoseyDgirl
    Options
    darn, that's what I'm doing wrong? ...

I didn't realize I was supposed to deficit... Just eat fat and protein, eat til satisfied... I could have sworn I read I didn't even need to count anything.

Deficit? really?
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    seems like all the hating could actually be jealousy. :mrgreen:

Just from the little I know of them in the forums, the posters who don't agree also have worked hard for what they have, whatever method they choose.

We all have our own battles and its not worth trying to compare your "journey" to other people's.
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    no, they're jealous because they can't start their days regularly with bacon. :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    no, they're jealous because they can't start their days regularly with bacon. :)

:huh: