Low(er) Carb Real Food

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    no, they're jealous because they can't start their days regularly with bacon. :)

Yes, since only low carbers can eat bacon everyday.

Other dieters can eat bacon, hashbrowns and toast everyday, imagine that

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    crisb2 wrote: »
    there's a board for keto, you'll probably get more help there. less haters.

Hater of what? Nonsense? Unscientific based info? Companies pitching any and all diets to make a profit? if you mean any of those I agree...if you don't then I'm not sure I would agree that they are haters....

I'll need some clarification on what you mean here.

There is actually a lot of science to back up choosing a low carb lifestyle. Especially considering the OP stated that there is a large amount of diabetes in her family. She would probably benefit tremendously from low carb.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    and sugar is sugar..at the molecular level it is all the same.

Can you please tell my pancreas that? It doesn't seem to understand the concept..

You must have a medical condition!

And the OP said she's trying to avoid a medical condition that's prevalent in her family history; yet, there are still people posting opposition to her want to eat a low carb diet, unprocessed diet.

Whether I have a medical condition or not doesn't matter. The body responds differently to different forms of sugar. To your body they are not the same.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    no, they're jealous because they can't start their days regularly with bacon. :)

Says who? Unless one is a strict veggie eater... anyone can start their day with bacon... low carb or not...
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Hater of what? Nonsense? Unscientific based info? Companies pitching any and all diets to make a profit? if you mean any of those I agree...if you don't then I'm not sure I would agree that they are haters....

There is actually a lot of science to back up choosing a low carb lifestyle. Especially considering the OP stated that there is a large amount of diabetes in her family. She would probably benefit tremendously from low carb.

Can you please tell my pancreas that? It doesn't seem to understand the concept..

And the OP said she's trying to avoid a medical condition that's prevalent in her family history; yet, there are still people posting opposition to her want to eat a low carb diet, unprocessed diet.

Whether I have a medical condition or not doesn't matter. The body responds differently to different forms of sugar. To your body they are not the same.

Personally, I don't care what "diet" a person uses... but this whole paleo-clean eating- demonize anything from a grocery story type terminology needs to stop... it's annoying and hyperbolic.

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (I just discovered the smilies)...

in case you don't remember bacon - it's fat and delicious and pork, and some dieters won't eat it, and will choose imitation bacon made with turkey - which is such a rip-off because it doesn't taste half as good...

Yes, total reason for jealousy would be over the bacon...
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Don't be THAT low carber. You're basically preaching, too. And its annoying.

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    yuck! ... I totally don't want to be preachie - only humorous. Seems folks don't have a humor around here at times. And, that's a bit depressing.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (I just discovered the smilies)...

in case you don't remember bacon - it's fat and delicious and pork, and some dieters won't eat it, and will choose imitation bacon made with turkey - which is such a rip-off because it doesn't taste half as good...

Yes, total reason for jealousy would be over the bacon...

I would suggest you stop now, because obviously you haven't spent much time on MFP forums.

There are several people who eat low calorie, that is NOT the same as eating low fat, which your making assumptions about. Just like people who make assumptions about low carb eating.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

Personally, I don't care what "diet" a person uses... but this whole paleo-clean eating- demonize anything from a grocery story type terminology needs to stop... it's annoying and hyperbolic.

Meh, if they want to eat that way..that's fine. No one is forcing all of the world to follow in their footsteps. People will believe in what they want. It's not productive to get worked up over the word "real" and hijack the thread of someone who was looking for like minded friends.

I'm not religious so I stay away from churches.
  • k8blujay2
    edited October 2014
    Options

Meh, if they want to eat that way..that's fine. No one is forcing all of the world to follow in their footsteps. People will believe in what they want. It's not productive to get worked up over the word "real" and hijack the thread of someone who was looking for like minded friends.

I'm not religious so I stay away from churches.

The main point here is to not demonize food... there is no good food or bad food... it's just food... is there some food that is nutritionally better for you, sure... Processed foods are anything that is prepared... so technically, homemade chicken noodle soup made with organic, "clean", whatever descriptor of ingredients you want here is processed... putting food into catagories of "good" and "bad" does nothing but create a superiority complex of dieters and the people that hock them... I really really don't give a flying flip whether someone is vegan, paleo, IIFYM, Low fat, low carb, conventional, whatever... You do what's best for your body... Again, it's how the descriptors are used that ticks me off because you (in a general sense here) are using a broad brush to narrowly paint something just so you (again in general) can feel morally superior in your dietary choices. It's one thing to say "I don't eat pre-packaged food" or "meats raised conventionally"... but when we get into the "I don't eat processed foods" will that's ignorance talking, because like I said, virtually every food that lands on our table is some how processed... even if you are a raw vegan and just wash your food.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

That's actually true. A banana spikes my sugar worse than a cupcake, and low carb keeps my base blood sugar high, has something to do with my body panicking into producing more glucose than needed which my cells can't take in effectively. I was advised by my doctor to stay moderate carbs (between 100-200) for that reason, because my sugar goes whack at either extreme end.

Ultimately, if OP feels this will help her avoid diabetes, then she should do what she pleases, though it may or may not be enough since it's genetic. Neither sugar nor carbs have been linked to diabetes. Some carbs (namely grains and fiber), are actually thought to be protective against diabetes, but since stress is actually a significant risk factor, if low carb provides peace of mind, then mission accomplished.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I spike from rice.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Pretty sure on days i choose to eat bacon I eat bacon. Can I eat it every day? Yes! Do i do it every day? no I don't always have time
  • asdowe13
    Options

No one is opposing a low carb diet, we are opposing her use of "real" food terminology as it's a *kitten* term.
  • asdowe13
    edited October 2014
    Options

That's actually true. A banana spikes my sugar worse than a cupcake, and low carb keeps my base blood sugar high, has something to do with my body panicking into producing more glucose than needed which my cells can't take in effectively. I was advised by my doctor to stay moderate carbs (between 100-200) for that reason, because my sugar goes whack at either extreme end.

Ultimately, if OP feels this will help her avoid diabetes, then she should do what she pleases, though it may or may not be enough since it's genetic. Neither sugar nor carbs have been linked to diabetes. Some carbs (namely grains and fiber), are actually thought to be protective against diabetes, but since stress is actually a significant risk factor, if low carb provides peace of mind, then mission accomplished.

Salmon spikes my sugar worse than a banana.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....
    Works for what?

I bet her mind would be blown if she realized someone was losing weight eating a low carb diet because...dun dun dun...you maintain a calorie deficit!

And she might be amazed to learn that different people have: different goals! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

The word demonizing is kinda hyperbolic as well.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

I'm not the one saying the food industry is evil and prepackaged food is bad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm not the one saying the food industry is evil and prepackaged food is bad.
    Again, I'd say this says more about you.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....
    Works for what?

I bet her mind would be blown if she realized someone was losing weight eating a low carb diet because...dun dun dun...you maintain a calorie deficit!

And she might be amazed to learn that different people have: different goals! :)

OP states shes on a "weight loss journey"