Low(er) Carb Real Food

Options

Replies

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that people who don't like low-carb shouldn't be so negative about other people's choices. However, I don't think insinuating that those of us who don't eat low carb are into "Wonder Bread, astronaut ice cream and Budweiser" helps makes things more respectful. It is good for all of us to make as many healthy choices as possible and for many of us this includes carbs in the form of fruit, vegetables, legumes, oatmeal etc. These are all very healthy foods with good micro-nutrients and of course, you have lots of good healthy choices for fats and proteins too. I have no problem with someone choosing low-carb but it isn't the only healthy "real food way". There isn't any connection at all unless the only carbs you used to eat were things like "Wonder Bread, astronaut ice cream and Budweiser" and you eat too much of them. Of course, if you have any of those things and still have a calorie deficit you will lose weight but most of us, regardless of which macros we stress, know the difference between a treat and the healthy choices that make up the majority of our diet.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've been doing carb cycling for the last couple of months. I just thought I'd try something different to shift the baby weight this time! I've lost at a calorie deficit, with just 'normal' heathy eating before, after my other two babies, but decided to just give this a try.

I agree that you don't need to eat low carb to eat healthily. The biggest change for me is cutting out fruit on low carb days. It's rare I eat processed foods anyway, low carb or not.

You're welcome to have a look at my diary and/or add me as a friend.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »
    there's a board for keto, you'll probably get more help there. less haters.

Hater of what? Nonsense? Unscientific based info? Companies pitching any and all diets to make a profit? if you mean any of those I agree...if you don't then I'm not sure I would agree that they are haters....

I'll need some clarification on what you mean here.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have similar food and weight loss goals. Send me a request. I am gluten sensitive so, I've been gf for over a year now. I make almost everything from scratch due to these restrictions and in an effort to eat more whole foods. I'm 5'7" and 235 right now. Looking to get to 180-190ish. That's the goal for now.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm wondering why some people are so very bothered by someone else using a phrase like "real food." Pretty obvious what it means, really.

Exactly. I looked at the post, being open-minded and thoughtful I still didn't meet the 3rd condition so I didn't comment since she is asking for people following a specific type of diet. She can eat mud for all I care (yes, I did meet someone who did that). If she feels good about doing it and if she's convinced by her research, it's no one else's business bash her choices. She is looking for people who are going the same route she is. Those who are not (myself included) need not be bothered by it or by word choices. It's a friend request thread, not a discussion thread. If it was a discussion thread I would have had much more to say. I'm not bothered by people calling what I eat "fake", either. It calls their personality into question, not mine.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    I don't think insinuating that those of us who don't eat low carb are into "Wonder Bread, astronaut ice cream and Budweiser" helps makes things more respectful..

Next Page, it was a joke, and there was a context -- e.g., a comment that pointed out that it's not necessary to be low-carb to lose weight. It's definitely not meant to imply that eating high-carb means living on astronaut ice cream. Trust me, most of the folks in my own world (in Asia) eat high-carb and have never heard of any of those things I mentioned. So it just means that, yeah, you can lose weight eating anything you feel like (if it's under the calorie count) ... but it wouldn't always be healthy. Sorry if it offended you.

Incidentally, I'm pretty negative on processed food, but I personally would never go without jelly beans. Ideally the real type. By Brach. With the black ones included :smile:
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't stick to restrictive diets. I stick to my calorie goals I have set as best I can, keep a deficit as best I can, and try to stick to 30 minutes or so of cardio. I log everything I put in my mouth every day. I agree healthier type foods are the better way to go, but, healthy isn't always in the budget and I am not the only one who eats here. I do what I can the best I can and while it isn't the way some people may do things, at least I have managed losing nearly 30 lbs in 130 days and that is no less an accomplishment than than those who cut everything out that they normally love. It's just not something I can stick to.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thanks, maybe I'm not looking in the right places. All I see are the main forums under message boards. There are only 11 of them?

There's a "Groups" item under the Community tab (when you're in the forums section, just look for it in the blue bar). You can then search for groups that might interest you.

I second the recommendation for Primal/Paleo Support Group. The Low Carber Daily Forum...The Group, Keto, and Reddit Keto groups are also good (even if you don't exactly follow their ways of eating, they're great resources for a number of things). The general forums are unfortunately not particularly friendly toward ways of eating that emphasize anything other than calories.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I cringe when people use terms like 'real food' like they're better than other people who choose to eat food that doesn't fit into their limited range of what they deem to be acceptable. There are of course food types that are more nutritious than others, but there is no such thing as fake food. If you can eat it, it's 100% real. Demonising certain foods just isn't healthy. And no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    IMO, I dont understand why the anti-carb, anti-grain campaign. I will say this, if your grains are not organic, and your carbs are processed food, then you arent getting nutrition and you will always be hungry. The GMO stuff is crap. I dropped 30 pounds on a 50% carb, 20% protein and 30% fat. I am now on maintenance and do 65% carb, 15% protein and 20% fat. You'd be surprised how little protein you need and how protein is in almost everything
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

The general forums are unfortunately not particularly friendly toward ways of eating that emphasize anything other than calories.

This would be a matter of opinion. I don't see many people unfriendly to keto or low carb, or paleo....i see people who argue that foods aren't bad, or my diet is the only way, or my way is the best way to eat. It doesn't matter to me what you eat, what does matter is when people send out incorrect or misinformation, that should be corrected for those that haven't taken the time, or have bought into the misinformation.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....

no, no ..we all know that weight loss is extremely hard and you have to climate 99% of the "bad" foods and only then will you lose ...

You took offense to the insinuation that the food you eat is "fake," yet you posted something like this?

While calorie counting alone works in the technical sense (ie - if you can keep yourself under your calorie goal you will very likely lose weight, barring unknown medical conditions altering the "calories out" half of the equation), it doesn't work for everyone in the sustainability sense. I could weigh every bite that goes into my mouth and log every single thing, but that would lead me down the path of disordered eating and an unhealthy relationship with food (been there). I could disregard macronutrient ratios, stick with MFP defaults (except maybe up the protein a some), but then it'd be impossible for me to stick to my calorie goal, because I'd feel like I was starving, even on a sufficient calorie amount (been there, too). So no, calorie counting without much regard to anything else is not the miracle panacea many people in these forums like to claim.

It works for you? Great! Keep doing it that way, then, if that's what makes you happy. Please just remember that it doesn't work for all of us. Yes, the ultimate goal is to burn more calories than you take in, but calorie counting isn't the only way to go about doing that. This is My Fitness Pal, not My Calorie Counting Pal. Not everyone uses this site the exact same way, and some use it with more personal emphasis on something other than calories. And that's okay.

If you want to include bread or ice cream in your way of eating, or if you want to get 50% of your fuel from carbs, then go for it. No one's forcing you to eat only whole foods by saying that they're doing it. No one's telling you to eat low carb by saying they're doing it. And when someone says they've chosen to eat a certain way, they're not telling you that your way of eating is wrong and you should change. So, please stop doing the same to those who emphasize something else or more than just calories. Save your defensiveness and "you're doing it wrong" tone for the people who are actually talking about how X food will give you cancer or some such and who are actually spouting nonsense. People choosing to eat a certain way for reasons unbeknownst to you and looking to find others who do the same have done nothing to deserve your condescension and snark.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP. Cutting grain and things that come in a box was the best thing I ever did for my physique. I've been doing it for more than a year and a half.

I also get the "real" food notion. For me, it means I try to use fresh ingredients and put things together myself. Like, spaghetti sauce (which I like to eat on zucchini noodles) is made from tomatoes, olive oil, and whatever spice I feel like that day. I know it's all real food, but giving myself those limitations forces me to cook and eat healthier. Sometimes adding labels to things makes it easier to adhere to.

• toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have done a low carb, high protein/high fat diet on the advice of my nutritional doctor since July 2013. Doing that, I lost 131 pounds and am now in my maintenance phase. It has been the best thing I've ever done. It hasn't been difficult. I never plateau'd during my journey, which is an absolute first in my life ... ever!! I feel better than I have in years. And after this loss, I look better than I have in the past when I have managed to lose. So there is something to be said for this food plan/lifestyle. Maybe it's not for everybody. But it sure worked for me. Anybody can friend me if they'd like. I do have some good recipes that I make. I don't cook a lot anymore, but I do have some good hints and the plan that my doctor gave me. I should probably add that I was diagnosed as insulin resistant, so this too is why this diet works well for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....

no, no ..we all know that weight loss is extremely hard and you have to climate 99% of the "bad" foods and only then will you lose ...

You took offense to the insinuation that the food you eat is "fake," yet you posted something like this?

While calorie counting alone works in the technical sense (ie - if you can keep yourself under your calorie goal you will very likely lose weight, barring unknown medical conditions altering the "calories out" half of the equation), it doesn't work for everyone in the sustainability sense. I could weigh every bite that goes into my mouth and log every single thing, but that would lead me down the path of disordered eating and an unhealthy relationship with food (been there). I could disregard macronutrient ratios, stick with MFP defaults (except maybe up the protein a some), but then it'd be impossible for me to stick to my calorie goal, because I'd feel like I was starving, even on a sufficient calorie amount (been there, too). So no, calorie counting without much regard to anything else is not the miracle panacea many people in these forums like to claim.

It works for you? Great! Keep doing it that way, then, if that's what makes you happy. Please just remember that it doesn't work for all of us. Yes, the ultimate goal is to burn more calories than you take in, but calorie counting isn't the only way to go about doing that. This is My Fitness Pal, not My Calorie Counting Pal. Not everyone uses this site the exact same way, and some use it with more personal emphasis on something other than calories. And that's okay.

If you want to include bread or ice cream in your way of eating, or if you want to get 50% of your fuel from carbs, then go for it. No one's forcing you to eat only whole foods by saying that they're doing it. No one's telling you to eat low carb by saying they're doing it. And when someone says they've chosen to eat a certain way, they're not telling you that your way of eating is wrong and you should change. So, please stop doing the same to those who emphasize something else or more than just calories. Save your defensiveness and "you're doing it wrong" tone for the people who are actually talking about how X food will give you cancer or some such and who are actually spouting nonsense. People choosing to eat a certain way for reasons unbeknownst to you and looking to find others who do the same have done nothing to deserve your condescension and snark.

that was sarcasm ….

and i am still waiting for a definition of "real food" …feel free to provide one...
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Real food? Is this opposed to pretend food?

By real food, I mean largely unprocessed. No seed oils high in omega 6 fatty acids. Nothing what I would term "hyperpalatable." Nothing with added sugar, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, chemicals, preservatives, food dyes. Real grass-fed dairy, meat, pastured eggs.

Of course, all of that is an ideal situation, but it is a goal.

If I am going to cheat, it is going to homemade with real ingredients! Take a look at processed cookies on the shelf and see if you can find a single package without soybean oil instead of real butter.

I'm super excited for the holidays... I'm already planning some homemade egg nog!

hmmm so you are saying the rest of us eat "fake" food…?

You do realize that all food has chemicals in it, right?

oh and there is no different between "added" sugar and "natural" sugar, they are all the same and treated as your body as such….

LOL, yes, I'm aware of how the body reacts to sugar, yes, I know all food has "chemicals" in it

If you're not sure what I mean by real food, you are welcome to ask....

per my original post, read *open-minded* as code for humble, critical-thinking, not assuming you know it all, not afraid to go against the grain (no pun intended)...

yes, please define "real" food …?

If you know that all sugar is treated the same by your body, then you are you advocating avoiding "added" sugar….

I cringe when people use terms like 'real food' like they're better than other people who choose to eat food that doesn't fit into their limited range of what they deem to be acceptable. There are of course food types that are more nutritious than others, but there is no such thing as fake food. If you can eat it, it's 100% real. Demonising certain foods just isn't healthy. And no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it.

Ok, let me get this straight, "if you can eat it, it's real?"

Even if it an entirely new chemical compound, created only by humans, with proven, severe effects on health (increased risk for cardiovascular and metabolic disease)? A compound found in a majority of processed foods for decades? (Lots and lots of us ate it and continue to eat it.... and a lot of it).

I'm talking about trans fats. They are a by-product of an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil in order to make it solid at room temperature and more shelf stable. NOW we know that they are absolutely horrible for you. NOW the data is coming out, the FDA is slowly taking steps to reduce them... slowly...

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm372915.htm

You say, "no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it"? Actually, trans fat is a case in point where actually there is NO recommended daily limit. The answer is just ZERO.

This is just one example of the difference between real and processed foods. I never used the term "fake." It popped into your head when you read "real." But yeah, when I see that "blueberries" in muffins are made of " sugar, corn syrup, starch, hydrogenated oil, artificial flavors, artificial food dye blue No. 2 and red No. 40," I definitely think "fake."

While the term "real food" might make you cringe... I cringe the more I learn about the food industry's cheap tactics and irresponsibility. Chemicals are tested and synthesized by industry, intensifying flavors from nature, with the exact purpose of making it so intense that you crave it.

Personally, I would rather cut out the lab-created, chemical flavors and enjoy the nuances of nature. Taste an apple and actually enjoy its intense sweetness. It takes time to adjust the palate, but now I'm at the point where asparagus actually does seem to have overtones reminiscent of birthday cake LOL
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that you need to find what works for you, keeps you satiated, and helps you towards your goals. For me, it's mostly whole foods with a few treats on most days, all fitting in my calories.

Strangely, I did low carb and found I had problems with hypoglycemia, and so I started adding more carbs back into my diet, although I definitely do best with the carb heavy foods later at night (no clue why).

Someone else suggested a keto group, and if you do decide keto works best for you, they'd likely have the best advice. There are the main discussion pages, but if you look in the blue bar under the community section you'll see groups. It's rather difficult to use currently because you can't search for groups, but this group seemed popular:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1494-reddit-keto
  • clarey265
    clarey265 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So today I went for a nutrition and body assessment, my first one, I knew it wasn't going to be good but it was still a little shocking. 31% body fat, but the most concerning thing was that it was all on my back and around my ribs so tomorrow I am being placed on a 2 week no carb (20g max per day) plan.

My nutritionist says that this should kick start my weight loss as fat around the back and ribs is due to carbohydrate packing (increasing a risk of diabetes), I do like carbs, I wouldn't say I ate lots of bread, pasta or potatoes but it is everything else that you dont think of that contains sugar and therefore carbs...fruit, baked beans, wine etc.

I think this will be tough, I don't mind salad but I am not a veg lover to be honest so we have agreed just 2 weeks as I have a weekend break booked after that where I wont be able to control my food as easily.

For those that don't approve of no carb this is what a nutritionist recommended.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I say low(er) carb because I just mean lower than the standard American diet. I just get my carbs from fruits and veggies... maybe potatoes and legumes once I get to my goal weight. I'm opting to prevent diabetes before it happens, as it is rampant in my family of origin.

I agree about the ketogenic, there are definitely benefits, but it's also too strict for me. In actuality though, the goal to prevent diabetes is to avoid highs and lows with your blood sugar. That means keeping whatever carb amount you take in even through the day. (I'm Type II)

So, I have 100g of carbs per day. I spread them out to 30 per meal. Sugar alcohol and fibre get removed from the carb count cause they don't affect blood sugar. I stay away from any grain and most fruits. Any veg I stick to low glycemic. I may have a small potato as a treat now and then.

I'm working up to ketogenic, but at this point, I believe I would fail.

Oh...and say low-carb and people here will seriously lose.their.*kitten*. Doesn't really matter. You can start your post with a big ole I AM DIABETIC and proceed to mention low carb and still get the whole IIFYM debate. Even though it's a FACT low carb is what diabetics need to do.

What can you do? It's the internet.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Hater of what? Nonsense? Unscientific based info? Companies pitching any and all diets to make a profit? if you mean any of those I agree...if you don't then I'm not sure I would agree that they are haters....

I'll need some clarification on what you mean here.

If a keto diet works for people, what's it to you? What company is pitching keto diets? How do these "companies" make any more money than people who follow IIFYM?