The excluding elitist approach to fitness pisses me off. Rant warning.

Options

Replies

• SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm confused. There is a bar that is 77 lbs? I did not know that. And if you can lift it, why did you need help to lift it? Did you thank the guy for helping you out?

Yes, I agree with this and I'm not sure why you are putting this man down. He doesn't have to kiss anyone's butt. Stop worrying about others and check your self esteem.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, I've seen it happen, and to be honest, I tend to be braced for it.

However, I'm lucky enough to go to a good gym. The sleek dolphins don't mind sharing the pool with me.

I did have an incident once when I was unracking my weights from a pretty heavy (for me, mind. I was in the 220s at the time, and only squatting about half my body weight) squat set and a man offered to help me unrack them. I let him but was terribly braced for a condescending remark when he asked me what my sport was. Upon telling him I didn't have one I competed in and just liked lifting, he said, "You ought to consider Olympic lifting. You have nice squat form."

I was giddy the rest of the day.

That's awesome! I wish I could squat half my body weight!

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    giggitygoo wrote: »
    And really? 2 people flagged the unicorn post?

I have a feeling the user-based flag review is going to be a smashing success...

If anything it's giving me a better idea of how touchy some members can be....so small victories?

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

That's awesome! I wish I could squat half my body weight!

If that's a goal of yours, I bet you'll get there.

There's this little wisp of a woman in our gym who squats like 225. Well, she looks like a wisp until she puts on shorts and you see her leg development. It's amazing. She's my freeweights hero at the moment, but I don't think she knows it.

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'll make the point again because I'm obviously not explaining this well enough: I had a gym where I felt comfortable enough to workout without feeling like I did not belong. A place where nobody scowled when the fatty arrived... That place will be different for everyone, and I'm happy for anyone else who has found such a place. But please don't berate me or the only place that ever worked out for me simply because you don't think they run their gym the way you would want your ideal gym to be run. There is a huge difference between saying Planet Fitness won't work for me because... compared with saying Planet Fitness is not a good gym because... I realize you may not intend it to be a personal attack, but what I'm hearing is PF is not a serious gym and that translates to saying that I'm not serious about wanting to work out because I'm comfortable at PF.

I've been following this conversation concerning the "judgement" factor in gyms. The truth is, each gym has a certain flavor. Each also works to attract a specific kind of clientele. And that's ok. Some gyms do cater to "muscle-heads". Some cater to "fatties". Some don't give a crap as long as you pay your monthly fee. And guess what. There is room for all. I love that I have a choice. PF obviously wants to cater to beginners and/or a more casual crowd, and they make rules (like dress codes and "noise" control) to ensure they achieve that end. What is wrong with that? Other gyms (and we all know where they are in our towns) cater to the true muscle builders and the super-fit. These places lack some of the aforementioned rules. Again, what's wrong with that.

There is room for all kinds of gyms. I, for one, am glad they aren't all alike.

Here's a personal note:
    PF is my starter gym, and if it didn't exist, I'm not sure I'd ever have had the guts to walk into the door of any gym at all. It is very difficult to explain to people who have always been fit just how SCARY it is walking into a gym for the first time. I literally sat in my car in the parking lot for half an hour just to get the courage up to WALK INTO Planet Fitness for the first time. Thank goodness I saw some people like me (soft and flabby) walking in and out the door else I may never have gone in at all. The intimidation factor of a gym (any gym) to a newbie cannot be overstated. Planet Fitness's atmosphere made the impossible possible for me. It has its place. Other gyms have theirs. Someday, I may even muscle up enough to "graduate" from PF and go to a more advanced gym. I kind of look forward to that possibility. Like I said, I love choices.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Planet Fitness is not a good gym because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdccUsn8N4Y

but remember.

BElr_O2CMAAdCkW.jpg
    *Unless PF judges you differently.
    This commercial is horrible
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I did wonder what I had said that was abusive... Good to know... Don't talk about cheese on MFP...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'll make the point again because I'm obviously not explaining this well enough: I had a gym where I felt comfortable enough to workout without feeling like I did not belong. A place where nobody scowled when the fatty arrived... That place will be different for everyone, and I'm happy for anyone else who has found such a place. But please don't berate me or the only place that ever worked out for me simply because you don't think they run their gym the way you would want your ideal gym to be run. There is a huge difference between saying Planet Fitness won't work for me because... compared with saying Planet Fitness is not a good gym because... I realize you may not intend it to be a personal attack, but what I'm hearing is PF is not a serious gym and that translates to saying that I'm not serious about wanting to work out because I'm comfortable at PF.

so let us make this clear.

You may FEEL like you're getting scowled at- but I an assure you- unless you're breaking gym etiquette by leaving weights lying around- or taking up to much effing equipment- no one cares what you do. not.a.single.person.

Bring in your best formal ballgown- a lawn chair and your favorite Jane Austin novel and set up and as long as you aren't in the way- I don't give a flying rats pattoott what you do at my gym. Fat- thin- old balding- skinny long hair- whatever.

does.not.care.

But if *I* or any of my fabulous hard working friends go to your gym- not only do we get scowled at- WE GET KICKED OUT.
    To much "workout clothing" clothing? have to leave- put something else on.
    You're TO FIT????-
    please leave?

have you ever heard of anyone getting kicked out of regular gym for being new?? nope
    Being to fat?? nope.

Or not wearing the right workout clothes- just showing up in old sweats and a ratty t shirt?

NO.

I don't understand how you do not comprehend the hypocrisy and how awful their marketing plan is.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

I did wonder what I had said that was abusive... Good to know... Don't talk about cheese on MFP...

I saw a whole thread earlier where people were talking about how many flags they'd gotten - seems like the flagging has gotten ridiculous. I thought the unicorns and cheese comment was hilarious and I want to live in your world! <3
  • newdaydawning79
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

so let us make this clear.

You may FEEL like you're getting scowled at- but I an assure you- unless you're breaking gym etiquette by leaving weights lying around- or taking up to much effing equipment- no one cares what you do. not.a.single.person.

Bring in your best formal ballgown- a lawn chair and your favorite Jane Austin novel and set up and as long as you aren't in the way- I don't give a flying rats pattoott what you do at my gym. Fat- thin- old balding- skinny long hair- whatever.

does.not.care.

But if *I* or any of my fabulous hard working friends go to your gym- not only do we get scowled at- WE GET KICKED OUT.
    To much "workout clothing" clothing? have to leave- put something else on.
    You're TO FIT????-
    please leave?

have you ever heard of anyone getting kicked out of regular gym for being new?? nope
    Being to fat?? nope.

Or not wearing the right workout clothes- just showing up in old sweats and a ratty t shirt?

NO.

I don't understand how you do not comprehend the hypocrisy and how awful their marketing plan is.

I'm just curious as to what "workout clothing" clothing is. I've heard that PF can be asinine when it comes to clothing but ours just asks for no spaghetti strap tanks and no flip flops for ladies. Don't know what for the guys but as I'm not one I don't care either. :smiley: I wouldn't personally wear a spaghetti strap tank when working out no matter what shape I was in so it doesn't bother me.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »

I've been following this conversation concerning the "judgement" factor in gyms. The truth is, each gym has a certain flavor. Each also works to attract a specific kind of clientele. And that's ok. Some gyms do cater to "muscle-heads". Some cater to "fatties". Some don't give a crap as long as you pay your monthly fee. And guess what. There is room for all. I love that I have a choice. PF obviously wants to cater to beginners and/or a more casual crowd, and they make rules (like dress codes and "noise" control) to ensure they achieve that end. What is wrong with that? Other gyms (and we all know where they are in our towns) cater to the true muscle builders and the super-fit. These places lack some of the aforementioned rules. Again, what's wrong with that.

Here's a personal note:
    PF is my starter gym, and if it didn't exist, I'm not sure I'd ever have had the guts to walk into the door of any gym at all. It is very difficult to explain to people who have always been fit just how SCARY it is walking into a gym for the first time. I literally sat in my car in the parking lot for half an hour just to get the courage up to WALK INTO Planet Fitness for the first time. Thank goodness I saw some people like me (soft and flabby) walking in and out the door else I may never have gone in at all. The intimidation factor of a gym (any gym) to a newbie cannot be overstated. Planet Fitness's atmosphere made the impossible possible for me. It has its place. Other gyms have theirs. Someday, I may even muscle up enough to "graduate" from PF and go to a more advanced gym. I kind of look forward to that possibility. Like I said, I love choices.

I'm just going to drop this back off again.
    If Planet Fitness's entire business model wasn't built around caricaturizing the fitness enthusiast and calling those people dull, stupid, or slow for being an enthusiast, wearing a sleeveless shirt, or bandanna.....they'd catch far less flack here.

TBH, I don't see much of a difference between PF and other 24/7 facilities, just their marketing scheme vilifies the enthusiast while attempting to prey on insecurities...IMHO

• newdaydawning79
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »

I saw a whole thread earlier where people were talking about how many flags they'd gotten - seems like the flagging has gotten ridiculous. I thought the unicorns and cheese comment was hilarious and I want to live in your world! <3

People just flag things they disagree with (wait for the flags to appear on this reply...)

Shoot I'm waiting for ones to my posts too, to be honest! I'd rather people have their own minds than be sheep, thanks. haha
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Here's a personal note:
    I don't understand the sitting for a half hour just to get courage. However, it's good PF gave you what you needed. It's instances like yours where I wish there was something like curves for guys who are afraid.

Maybe call it Gold's Express, if it were a part of gold's gym, and make it a training wheels type experience. The reality is though, you don't have to have muscle to work somewhere else

You just gotta want more for yourself. My issue with the place is the level of judgement and harassment they engage in. It's an extremely cynical approach to business, and disrespectful of their customers. For some people though, that's fine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm just curious as to what "workout clothing" clothing is. I've heard that PF can be asinine when it comes to clothing but ours just asks for no spaghetti strap tanks and no flip flops for ladies. Don't know what for the guys but as I'm not one I don't care either. :smiley: I wouldn't personally wear a spaghetti strap tank when working out no matter what shape I was in so it doesn't bother me.
    lol it was words that spilled out- but I know if you pretty much look like you're a hardcore fitness person- in ANY shape (zumba clothes included) you are subject to the strong side eye of planet fitness fitness censorhip.
    - but I guess I would say "youknowwhatImean" but if you aren't around die hard lifters- or fitness people then you probably aren't used to all neon/spandex and fitness type shirts- I live in lycra pants- and tank tops- and booty shorts- That I'm quiet positive would get me evicted LOL

SLHysell wrote:
    » show previous quotes

Here's a personal note:

what's wrong with it??? well- if we made a gym no fatties allowed- BF of 15% and under ONLY- can you imagine the holy hell raised law suit that would be raised??

secondly- intimidation comes from the unknown- and projection.

Once you know- you are no longer afraid. And once you realize no one ACTUALLY cares at all about you- it's a none issue.

show up- do the work- don't let your fears hold you back.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Guys, I walk away for a little bit to get some work done, and the thread explodes? My goodness.

In my opinion, having been someone with social anxiety issues walking into gyms for the first time....the second you realize no one cares what you're doing, the second everything gets better. I'm 272 and 6', and I walk right in now and no one pays any attention to me unless it's to ask if they can work in on a set or something.

I have no issues with gyms now, and that's something major for someone with some intense anxiety issues.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This thread is a magnificent marketing tool for Planet Fitness. Not quite sure the point of railing about what makes the place so horrible, because those exact words are exactly what their customer base is looking for.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Here's a personal note:
    I don't understand the sitting for a half hour just to get courage. However, it's good PF gave you what you needed. It's instances like yours where I wish there was something like curves for guys who are afraid.

Maybe call it Gold's Express, if it were a part of gold's gym, and make it a training wheels type experience. The reality is though, you don't have to have muscle to work somewhere else

You just gotta want more for yourself. My issue with the place is the level of judgement and harassment they engage in. It's an extremely cynical approach to business, and disrespectful of their customers. For some people though, that's fine.

I did kind of note that it would be hard for some to understand. I really like you "training wheels" idea though. I would have jumped at something like that.

I can only go with my own experience and at my PF in NE Pensacola Florida, I DO see some very pumped up people working out each time I go. I've often wondered why they would want to be there considering that the equipment may not be what one would need at that level. However, I've never seen anyone harassed in any way from any end of the fitness spectrum. I know it's only one location, but mine seems to be friendly to all. I do hear the "lunk alarm" on occasion, but I've never (ever) been able to figure out why it was set off. I often wonder how much people base their opinions on what they hear rather than their actual experiences. It reminds me of politics a little bit.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Guys, I walk away for a little bit to get some work done, and the thread explodes? My goodness.

In my opinion, having been someone with social anxiety issues walking into gyms for the first time....the second you realize no one cares what you're doing, the second everything gets better. I'm 272 and 6', and I walk right in now and no one pays any attention to me unless it's to ask if they can work in on a set or something.

I have no issues with gyms now, and that's something major for someone with some intense anxiety issues.

That's awesome!

I had major anxiety issues, too. I had to get over it. And, since it clicked in my brain that it was all in my head, I've had some amazing experiences that I would have missed out on if I didn't give myself (and other people) a chance.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This thread is a magnificent marketing tool for Planet Fitness. Not quite sure the point of railing about what makes the place so horrible, because those exact words are exactly what their customer base is looking for.

Pretty much....