The excluding elitist approach to fitness pisses me off. Rant warning.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Once you know- you are no longer afraid. And once you realize no one ACTUALLY cares at all about you- it's a none issue.

We'll see how well this statement holds up a few months from now when the "OMG the lame newbie losers who are just going to quit after a month will be taking up my squat rack" posts start rolling out.

that has nothing to do with their newbness.

it has everything to do with the mentality that oh it's January 1 I'm going to fix myself.

Let's face it- if you wanted to fix yourself- you wouldn't have waited for a set day to do it- you would just start doing it.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I'm just curious as to what "workout clothing" clothing is. I've heard that PF can be asinine when it comes to clothing but ours just asks for no spaghetti strap tanks and no flip flops for ladies. Don't know what for the guys but as I'm not one I don't care either. :smiley: I wouldn't personally wear a spaghetti strap tank when working out no matter what shape I was in so it doesn't bother me.
    lol it was words that spilled out- but I know if you pretty much look like you're a hardcore fitness person- in ANY shape (zumba clothes included) you are subject to the strong side eye of planet fitness fitness censorhip.
    - but I guess I would say "youknowwhatImean" but if you aren't around die hard lifters- or fitness people then you probably aren't used to all neon/spandex and fitness type shirts- I live in lycra pants- and tank tops- and booty shorts- That I'm quiet positive would get me evicted LOL

SLHysell wrote:
    » show previous quotes

I've been following this conversation concerning the "judgement" factor in gyms. The truth is, each gym has a certain flavor. Each also works to attract a specific kind of clientele. And that's ok. Some gyms do cater to "muscle-heads". Some cater to "fatties". Some don't give a crap as long as you pay your monthly fee. And guess what. There is room for all. I love that I have a choice. PF obviously wants to cater to beginners and/or a more casual crowd, and they make rules (like dress codes and "noise" control) to ensure they achieve that end. What is wrong with that? Other gyms (and we all know where they are in our towns) cater to the true muscle builders and the super-fit. These places lack some of the aforementioned rules. Again, what's wrong with that.

There is room for all kinds of gyms. I, for one, am glad they aren't all alike.

Here's a personal note:
    PF is my starter gym, and if it didn't exist, I'm not sure I'd ever have had the guts to walk into the door of any gym at all. It is very difficult to explain to people who have always been fit just how SCARY it is walking into a gym for the first time. I literally sat in my car in the parking lot for half an hour just to get the courage up to WALK INTO Planet Fitness for the first time. Thank goodness I saw some people like me (soft and flabby) walking in and out the door else I may never have gone in at all. The intimidation factor of a gym (any gym) to a newbie cannot be overstated. Planet Fitness's atmosphere made the impossible possible for me. It has its place. Other gyms have theirs. Someday, I may even muscle up enough to "graduate" from PF and go to a more advanced gym. I kind of look forward to that possibility. Like I said, I love choices.

what's wrong with it??? well- if we made a gym no fatties allowed- BF of 15% and under ONLY- can you imagine the holy hell raised law suit that would be raised??

secondly- intimidation comes from the unknown- and projection.

Once you know- you are no longer afraid. And once you realize no one ACTUALLY cares at all about you- it's a none issue.

show up- do the work- don't let your fears hold you back.

I don't believe PF has a policy stating no well-muscled and/or fit people are allowed. They simply have a dress code and a code of conduct that many well-muscled people disagree with. These people choose not to go. Except like I said, at my PF there are many fit looking people there every time I go...and no one kicks them out.

I agree with the projection analysis. That doesn't make it any easier when someone is in the throws of an anxiety attack, however
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »

We'll see how well this statement holds up a few months from now when the "OMG the lame newbie losers who are just going to quit after a month will be taking up my squat rack" posts start rolling out.

that has nothing to do with their newbness.

it has everything to do with the mentality that oh it's January 1 I'm going to fix myself.

Let's face it- if you wanted to fix yourself- you wouldn't have waited for a set day to do it- you would just start doing it.

That's always a fun time of year on the boards..... You can almost set your New Year clocks by it.

OP: Wow the gym is packed.

Poster 2: Stop being negative, you were there before.

Poster 3: I see where OP is coming from. I've been watching this gym cycle for like a decade now. Statistical Data.....

Poster 4: I made my resolution stick so they work. Stop being negative.

Hilarity ensues, cat gifs abound, and at least one mean people thread.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a gym (front desk -- just because it was an easy way to earn an expensive membership).

I hated the resolution crowd because it did make it hard to schedule my workouts and the flood at the desk to get them signed up.

It wasn't an elitist thing so much as it was that the gym was disproportionately packed for about six weeks. Then as they trickled out, it was a lot easier to schedule what you wanted to do based on what was likely to be free because the regulars tended to have fairly consistent schedules.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I know it's only one location, but mine seems to be friendly to all. I do hear the "lunk alarm" on occasion, but I've never (ever) been able to figure out why it was set off. I often wonder how much people base their opinions on what they hear rather than their actual experiences. It reminds me of politics a little bit.
    If the employees are judging the customers like that, how is it a friendly location?

What happens when the alarm is on you? Knowing that the alarm is there, do you work at a lower intensity for fear of setting it off?

Just some things to think about.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    kikityme wrote: »
    See...I read that in the same tone as "break a leg"

I live in a happy bubble. It's nice here. The unicorns bring me cheese.

OK...not to detract from the we hate/love Planet Fitness rants...but who here hates cheese? That's what I want to know.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    LOL still talking about how much of a trash gym PF is.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    "judging" = "calling my BS out"
    "elitist" = "people who work harder than I do, making me realize that I'm not"

Re: "you're taking my squat rack"
    WRONG. If you're squatting, you're good. it's the long-time squat rack curl monkeys who are the problem.

(also, up to a point, you can clean the weight to rack position for squats)