Friends who don't exercise?

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You know, the attitude in here really rankles.

I didn't say I'm afraid of going to the gym. I didn't even say the OP is afraid of going to the gym. I just said that it is possible to be a decent human being instead of part of an insensitive crowd of bullies who gang up on a newbie to the forum by calling her lazy, wrong, full of excuses, and then taking to task anyone who tries to actually offer her some encouragement or helpful advice.

OP, you took a big step by joining. Welcome! Not everyone here is a jerk, I promise.

I firmly believe in changing habits a few at a time, to make something work for your life. So if you're starting off by changing your eating habits, GREAT. That's more than you did yesterday. Congrats, and that's awesome!

I suspect that, with time, you'll naturally add more exercise -- of some form or another -- to your routine. Not only will you feel better, but you'll want to be able to eat more food, too! And eating back exercise calories will definitely help keep that going.

But please don't be discouraged by the people who imply that you're either a gym rat or a failure. There are LOADS of ways to get exercise into your day, some involving the gym, some not. Over time, you'll find what works best for you.

Congrats on taking the step. Wishing you much luck with your program.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

I didn't say I'm afraid of going to the gym. I didn't even say the OP is afraid of going to the gym. I just said that it is possible to be a decent human being instead of part of an insensitive crowd of bullies who gang up on a newbie to the forum by calling her lazy, wrong, full of excuses, and then taking to task anyone who tries to actually offer her some encouragement or helpful advice.

OP, you took a big step by joining. Welcome! Not everyone here is a jerk, I promise.

I firmly believe in changing habits a few at a time, to make something work for your life. So if you're starting off by changing your eating habits, GREAT. That's more than you did yesterday. Congrats, and that's awesome!

I suspect that, with time, you'll naturally add more exercise -- of some form or another -- to your routine. Not only will you feel better, but you'll want to be able to eat more food, too! And eating back exercise calories will definitely help keep that going.

But please don't be discouraged by the people who imply that you're either a gym rat or a failure. There are LOADS of ways to get exercise into your day, some involving the gym, some not. Over time, you'll find what works best for you.

I don't know who flagged you. But thank you so much for your kind words. It's hard to even start, I figured I'd just be fat forever. But since I began and lost 6 pounds I feel a bit better about my own abilities. I'm so looking forward to not being fat anymore!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Show me the bullying. Cripes.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't know who flagged you. But thank you so much for your kind words. It's hard to even start, I figured I'd just be fat forever. But since I began and lost 6 pounds I feel a bit better about my own abilities. I'm so looking forward to not being fat anymore!

One day at a time, one step at a time.

And some folks'll flag anything. Seriously, don't worry about 'em.
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Speaking as an older woman, I want to be pretty still. So if you also want to be a young -looking older woman start now. Its like facial cream if you start at 40 it's not as effective as if you started at 23 taking care of your skin.. Exercise is a lot more than working out it also keeps your heart working well so you'll live longer, your skin will look better longer and it reduces stress. It also allows you to eat more and just enjoy life more. During the holidays when everyone else is cutting back I'm going to enjoy myself. Try to find something you enjoy and try it.. you'll thank me 20 years from now.
  • tobiann63
    Options
    Be my friend i don't want to exercise lol But, for me i have to do it to stay alive. But i love people like you who hate it. Your post cracked me up.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    tobiann63 wrote: »
    Be my friend i don't want to exercise lol But, for me i have to do it to stay alive. But i love people like you who hate it. Your post cracked me up.

It cracked you up? How? Explain please.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My daughter was just like you, lose a few pounds no exercise. She did it....lost a tremendous amount of weight with no exercise. Now she wants to tone...but not with "exercise" she took a few free yoga classes.....then one day decided to try one in the morning before work....she's hooked now. Same with me, I hate exercise. But walking now...that's a whole different matter. Now I can run a bit, a minute here and minute there. And now I'm hooked. Pushing myself to do better. Once you lose some weight ...you may not like or want to exercise, but I bet it will creep up on you slowly and before you know it, it's got you in it's clutches.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I am certainly not a die-hard exercise fanatic. In fact, I would much prefer to lie around on the sofa and read books, knit and surf the internet. I also do not enjoy paying bills, fixing crap around the house, and brushing my dog's teeth. But I do all of those things, much to the dismay of my dog. To make my life more enjoyable, I joined Angie's List to keep my home in order, set up on-line bill paying, and found exercises that I do not mind: strength training apps on my iPad that I don't mind, youtube routines on my fitness ball, cruising the Phoenix canals on my bike, and jumping around on my rebounder.

I hope to live a long life, full of energy until the end. Sure you can get away without exercising or doing any of those other things for a good long while, but eventually it will catch up with you. Learn early in life to find meaning in what's good for you.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    But...but....exercise means you get to eat more. Therefore, exercise = awesome. Sure, you can lose weight without exercise, but I don't know who would feel good after sitting on their butt all day.

Considering this is MyFITNESSPal, I'd say most of us exercise. Perhaps on the WeightWatcher or Atkins forums...

Exercising so a person can eat more has never made sense to me, because it still supports that " eat as much as you can " lifestyle. I exercise moderately to improve my health and for me that does not include eating more ( not even my exercise calories ) just because I can and the food is there.
  • missnolo
    missnolo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    missnolo wrote: »
    I don't exercise. I don't believe you have too. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to exercise. We have similar stats. Height: 158cm/5'2 or 5'3, Im not sure how the US system works. SW:60kg/132lb CW:58kg/137.6lb GW:50 kg/110lb
    I'm a 5'3, 145 pound college student looking to be anywhere from 115-125 pounds (whatever looks best). I hate exercise and I don't have the time or energy to work it into my schedule. It seems I'm always surrounded by powerlifters, crossfitters, etc. I'm looking for friends who, like me, don't exercise (for whatever reason).

Unless one is in a vegetative state, one has the "luxury" of being able to exercise...

lol. Me personally I'm sick so its not easy for me to exercise, I also have school and other things to worry about. I do the little exercises my body can handle but I wouldn't call it working out. I used to be a dancer for 10 years and extremely active. My body is no longer able to do those things. I do not think that on my 'health' journey, people should shame me for not working out. At least I am eating healthier than before and doing something really.
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise as far as the gym junkies are concerned, the whole thought of a sweaty gym grosses me out but I do walk outside in the sunshine 2 or 3 times a day for between 40-60 minutes. I do it as part of getting to/ from work. Get a fitbit or similar, you'd be surprised how many steps you tally up just doing day to day stuff. Aim for 10,000 steps a day. There are others out there who aren't fans of exercise don't give up.
  • missnolo
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    I don't exercise. I don't believe you have too. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to exercise. We have similar stats. Height: 158cm/5'2 or 5'3, Im not sure how the US system works. SW:60kg/132lb CW:58kg/137.6lb GW:50 kg/110lb
    I'm a 5'3, 145 pound college student looking to be anywhere from 115-125 pounds (whatever looks best). I hate exercise and I don't have the time or energy to work it into my schedule. It seems I'm always surrounded by powerlifters, crossfitters, etc. I'm looking for friends who, like me, don't exercise (for whatever reason).

Luxury to exercise? What's got you so busy?

I'm busy managing school + a disease. Let me add that I exercise when I can which is rarely. I usually go for a walk/run once a week for 20 minutes and also do some light exercises + stretches in my room This is all I can afford to do with the way things are. I refuse to give up on my weight loss goals simply because people are telling me that my diet is no good without exercise.

I do what I can and right now it is healthy eating.
  • missnolo
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Everyone agrees you dont have to, but you should be aware of the benefits it provides to helping you lose weight and wider health benefits before talking yourself out of doing any. The site is called my FITNESS pal. Calling it a luxury is odd, unless ofc you are physically disabled or have other medical reasons. Walking is a popular form of exercise, which requires no equipment or money.

I just don't feel its anybodies position to bully others into exercising period. I didn't come here to defend my position but to better my self. Also, the few times I do exercise I will be doing it for health reasons and not for weight loss as I do not believe exercise to lead to weight loss because I was a very fit dancer before but also a bit overweight.
  • amandaziegler
    amandaziegler Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    The person who resulted to name calling, well forget them, but i think i can understand what @50sfit is saying but for me it could have been worded better.

Can i ask why you dont exercise? you may regret it later. check out the posts of people who lost the weight and still unhappy with their bods afterwards.

Who name called?
    Nobody name called. Whoever flagged you for that is abusing the system. I was trying to make a point and get the OP thinking about the implications of connecting with friends who are not striving to become the best version of themselves.

Worry not; we all have opinions. I welcome them agree or disagree. <3

Actually someone did and the post is now faded out. They called the OP an idiot. Now, I wouldn't call her an "idiot"...she just needs to get her priorities straight if she wants a healthy lifestyle. She's still young so there's hope yet (doubtful but I'm optomistic)

I'm not so doubtful. At 19 years old I didn't care about fitness, either. It didn't really hit me until my late 20s. People think they are invincible at 19. Part of growing up.

Ditto. Totally regret not getting onboard in my 20s. Live and learn :)

I don't think fitness is something I'm going to grow into. My family doesn't exercise at all. I've been brought up to prioritize other things. Kudos to all of you for making the choice to exercise, but it's not for me.

one word...LAZY!

Sure, maybe I'm lazy. I've chosen to challenge myself in different areas, exercise isn't one of them. It's just a different lifestyle.

Just throwing it out there, because you continue to say you challenge yourself in other areas...

So do I. I have a full-time demanding career, I just finished my MBA, I have friends I love and family that live nearby. I have a house to maintain all by myself. I'm dating. I have pets. The list goes on and on. You aren't any busier than anyone else. Trust me.

I'm not saying I'm any busier than anyone else. I know lots of y'all have full time jobs, a brood of kids, etc. I am just not interested in exercise. I find it unpleasant and a drain on my self esteem.

I'm surprised by you saying you find exercise unpleasant and a drain on self esteem. Not trying to psychoanalyze (well, maybe a little) but there may be something deeper at play here. I don't think I've ever heard someone say the regreted exercising. Like, ever. Maybe disappointed that a goal wasn't reached, but never regretful. I think you are really selling yourself short. Being skinny but unhealthy... I don't know, is it worth it? I have some extra pounds, but I guarantee I have a strong heart and body, despite Type 1 diabetes. You will likely very much regret your decision in the future, but by then, it'll be too late. Trust those older than you. We've been there. We're not just blowing smoke. Promise.

I hope you find something that works for you. Honest.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    OP, Print out this thread, put it in a safe place. Take it out in 30 years and read all the responses. When you are 50ish and bemoaning the fact that you have assorted aches, pains and maladies associated with "getting older", you will rue the day you 'pooh-poohed" the idea of exercise.

Meh,I'm already 50ish and I don't have aches and pains or any maladies and I only do light exercise like walking and dog training.
    I don't rue my lack of 'real' excercise and I have no intentions of joining a gym or similar - I don't need excuses, I'm just not doing it because I don't want to and I choose not to.

Same with OP. If she doesn't want to, that's fine. If she is not overweight there is no increased risk of diabetes by not joining gyms.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Everyone agrees you dont have to, but you should be aware of the benefits it provides to helping you lose weight and wider health benefits before talking yourself out of doing any. The site is called my FITNESS pal. Calling it a luxury is odd, unless ofc you are physically disabled or have other medical reasons. Walking is a popular form of exercise, which requires no equipment or money.

I just don't feel its anybodies position to bully others into exercising period. I didn't come here to defend my position but to better my self. Also, the few times I do exercise I will be doing it for health reasons and not for weight loss as I do not believe exercise to lead to weight loss because I was a very fit dancer before but also a bit overweight.

No one is being bullied here. People are actually trying to help the op.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    OP, Print out this thread, put it in a safe place. Take it out in 30 years and read all the responses. When you are 50ish and bemoaning the fact that you have assorted aches, pains and maladies associated with "getting older", you will rue the day you 'pooh-poohed" the idea of exercise.

Meh,I'm already 50ish and I don't have aches and pains or any maladies and I only do light exercise like walking and dog training.
    I don't rue my lack of 'real' excercise and I have no intentions of joining a gym or similar - I don't need excuses, I'm just not doing it because I don't want to and I choose not to.

Same with OP. If she doesn't want to, that's fine. If she is not overweight there is no increased risk of diabetes by not joining gyms.

Walking is exercise and you don't have to join a gym I certainly haven't