Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    I have to say, second day of my lighter lifting and it's not much better and I'm feeling discouraged

I see all these guys around me lifting so much more, seemingly putting in so much more effort. (My lifts were light today and I didn't even break a sweat). I feel so puny next to everyone. I know I shouldn't compare, but it's hard not to. I hope this time is different. I still don't feel like I'm doing this "right". We'll see....

And I never got to do squats because someone was on the squat rack the ENTIRE time I was there. Same person for an hour. Isn't that a little insane? What are some ways I can ask to work in/etc? It would have been easier if he wasn't 5 inches shorter than me.

Also, the bar was being used on the bench. I wasn't sure if DB bent over rows are acceptable, but I did those instead. How do you all work around not being able to do the exercises in the order you need?

Definitely don't judge people for hogging equipment if you don't let it be known you need the equipment also. Ask to work in, and even if they don't want to trade off sets, a lot of time they will go a little faster if they realize someone else needs the rack.

Personally, I go on off times (at gym opening time in the mornings). If the squat racks are full and I'm not squatting too heavy (as in I don't think I'll fail), I'll usually pull the bar off the upright bench press and squat with that (I can duck under the front supports and get it into back squat position safely).

And definitely don't compare yourself to other people. Just try and do your thing without watching the others. Your weights will increase steadily, but there will always be someone stronger than you. That's fine, just keep doing what you're doing.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I have to say, second day of my lighter lifting and it's not much better and I'm feeling discouraged

I see all these guys around me lifting so much more, seemingly putting in so much more effort. (My lifts were light today and I didn't even break a sweat). I feel so puny next to everyone. I know I shouldn't compare, but it's hard not to. I hope this time is different. I still don't feel like I'm doing this "right". We'll see....

And I never got to do squats because someone was on the squat rack the ENTIRE time I was there. Same person for an hour. Isn't that a little insane? What are some ways I can ask to work in/etc? It would have been easier if he wasn't 5 inches shorter than me.

Also, the bar was being used on the bench. I wasn't sure if DB bent over rows are acceptable, but I did those instead. How do you all work around not being able to do the exercises in the order you need?

First, check the ego at the door because that IS the first rule of doing your own workout. It's yours and no one else really cares, trust me on that they are too worried about their own to worry about yours. If anyone is doing some kind of measuring you up then that's their hang up not yours so don't sweat it.

As for the squat rack, just ask to work in politely. In 30 years of working out I've only had one issue with someone being an idiot and I told that rather bluntly. I'm sure I surprised him since he was a lot big than me but after that he had not issue letting me work in. Also, when I'm on leg day I do about 45 mins of rack time since I'm doing 3 different squats (Olympic, front, and OHS) but I'm always happy to offer people the chance to work in if they like. At my current gym no one actually has taken my offer since we do have 3 racks but there is always a wait for them. You might see people do rows in a rack on off hours but at least no one has been brave enough to try to curl in the rack.

If you have a gym that only has one squat rack you might want to find a better gym.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

It's fine to look to others for motivation, but not a good idea to compare yourself to others. There are so many factors that contribute to a persons strength and physique that are unique to them. Individual leverages, training age, size, even gear use... These are all things outside of your control. Control what you CAN control.... your personal progress from here on out.

As for the lifts...

1. Ask to work in
    2. Ask how much longer. Some people don't like being confronted, or people waiting on them... so they might hurry up.
    3. Find a new gym with better/more equipment.
  • va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's ok that I badically didn't work up a sweat during my workout? Is that normal when going down to lighter weights like I did?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    It's ok that I badically didn't work up a sweat during my workout? Is that normal when going down to lighter weights like I did?

A lot of people don't sweat, or at least noticeably, while doing weight workouts.
  • va_01
    Options
    I used to work up a sweat every time I lifted. Maybe that's because I was putting in too much effort? Aka pushing myself too hard?
  • va_01
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I used to work up a sweat every time I lifted. Maybe that's because I was putting in too much effort? Aka pushing myself too hard?

Why do you keep harping on minor details? Did you feel like you had a good workout? Did you take any positives out of it? Is there anything you saw you can do better next time? You're worried about sweat and other people, what about the real factors?

I guess that's what I mean. As far as if I felt like I got a good workout: not really. It was light (but I need to accept that it will be like that for the next few weeks or so)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Don't let the flames affect you. Trust in the plan and keep your macros on point. You are on a cut right?
  • singingdispatch100
    Options
    lower weight, higher rep.
    remeber that even though you are trying to cut you still need the calories for energy, fats for your joints and protein for sustaining the energy from calories so you don't tank out.
    if you can find a place that has it look into doing a samon ladder excercise. works on your core, shoulders and arms.
    its better for you if you tone what you have, but, you wil have more energy and stamina for your work outs and will be more alert and prepared for things in your daily life.
    also if there is a Ninja Warrior gym anywhere near you i would like into that. speed, agility, endurance gives you a whole different way to work out that you can be proud of and see more results in what you can and can't you. Confidence is key to everything.
    Always told my hockey students "if you know you are going to fall, make it look good and do it with confidence."
    Good luck and keep your head up.

P.S. one of my past sensei was a small gal and she could lift my then 180lbs with out breathing hard and through me accross a room. size is not always a guarentee of strength.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    lower weight, higher rep.
    remeber that even though you are trying to cut you still need the calories for energy, fats for your joints and protein for sustaining the energy from calories so you don't tank out.
    if you can find a place that has it look into doing a samon ladder excercise. works on your core, shoulders and arms.
    its better for you if you tone what you have, but, you wil have more energy and stamina for your work outs and will be more alert and prepared for things in your daily life.
    also if there is a Ninja Warrior gym anywhere near you i would like into that. speed, agility, endurance gives you a whole different way to work out that you can be proud of and see more results in what you can and can't you. Confidence is key to everything.
    Always told my hockey students "if you know you are going to fall, make it look good and do it with confidence."
    Good luck and keep your head up.

P.S. one of my past sensei was a small gal and she could lift my then 180lbs with out breathing hard and through me accross a room. size is not always a guarentee of strength.

Solid 3rd post.

Thanks for jumping in on page 16 to offer random advice that has nothing to do with his goals. Also, I'd like to know how you "tone what you have". The concept of tone is lower body fat with just okay muscle (basically the goal is to be thin and not flabby). This guy is cutting before a bulk, so he's actually looking for size down the road.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    liz4rchs wrote: »
    Va check out Herbalife 24 products! www.herbalife.com/elizabethstairs/en-us You look great & don't be discouraged, be consistent. When it gets hard you are usually about to breakthrough so hang in there! Liz :)

That is a clear violation of TOR, this is your page and this is clearly spam. Please leave.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Don't let the flames affect you. Trust in the plan and keep your macros on point. You are on a cut right?

Dear Jeff,

What does this even mean?

Thank you,
    USMC-MP

P.S. He is on a cut, as he's stated multiple times over the previous 13 pages.
  • va_01
    Options
    Day 3 of my adjustments:

Pretty OK day. ICF calls for progression every other workout while on cut, so I repeated the same weights as I did the time before. Still focusing on form and breathing, and trying to pay more attention to how the sets FEEL rather than just getting them done. It felt slightly lighter this time, which I assume is a good thing and hopefully next workout I will be able to progress.

Looking forward to finally being as lean as I can, and then beginning to bulk. I hate eating a lot so thats my only problem... I will have to figure out a way to get 4k calories in on my new schedule eventually. Feeling quite small at the moment, but I don't want to stop my cut now and give up.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You hate eating a lot? I wish I had that problem...I can tuck away 3000 cals in one sitting easily (past experience has proven this).

Keep on keeping on. Look forward to increasing the weights next time and keep up the good work!