6000 calories a day and not gaining weight.

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Well, make no mistake, 6000+ calories a day every day is no small feat. Anyone on the planet is going to struggle with this.

Furthermore, it appears that you don't eat meat and that's just going to make it even harder.

Having said that, your macros and food choices seem nicely varied (for not eating meat) and you're definitely hitting some of the tricks you need to hit to hit 6000 consistently. Fatty foods and treats like chocolate help a lot of course. Beer does help too, don't worry about the negative advice you got there. My last bulk, I drank a minimum of one large, heavy beer every day (at least 500 calories) and that helped fill in some of the spare calories. Not a lot of nutrition but who cares, you need calories. You're getting plenty of nutrition already with that kind of caloric load so beer isn't going to hurt a thing.

My suggestion? You are already doing it to an extent but - more caloric drinks. Calorie-laden drinks are perfect for adding calories while adding minimal fullness. You're doing a decent amount of fruit juices which is good, but when I added up the quantities it was fairly low. I'd say you average 32 ounces (1/4 gallon) of drinks a day. Get that up. Way up. Double or quadruple it. Drink fruit juice, coconut water, vitamin water, gatorade, whatever floats your boat. Soda may be a problem (carbonation will only made you feel more full/bloated/gassy). But yeah, don't drink any water. Make sure every liquid has calories. If you're gonna make a protein shake, use whole milk. Throw some Hershey's in there while you're at it. And a little MCT for that matter (any sort of quick-digesting fat really). Your protein shakes look to be around 300 calories each, that could double or triple easily if you threw some heavy liquid, sweetener, fats in there. And it really wouldn't take a lot of extra work or prep to do.

Even if you just doubled your drink intake, you'd add 500 calories a day (roughly 32ounces at about 15 calories an ounce - depending on the drink of course). If you downed a gallon of caloric drinks every day you'd add 1500 calories a day. This is easily doable, I drink way more than a gallon a day myself. Plus there's minimal prep and storage involved. Just keep a drink by your side all day.

Thanks for this, I think it's really realistic and useful advice. As Arnold said "Milk is for babies, when you are a man you drink Beer."
    I was already trying to 'drink my calories' with about 1l of fruit juice a day but like you said I could be doing much more.
    My only concern is a loss of insulin sensitivity. Constantly bombarding the body with sugar sounds like a recipe for diabetes. Lifting should negate this but still it just seems wrong somehow.
    My plan is to basically eat as much 'unhealthy' food as possible and do the exact opposite of general health advice: Extremely high carbs, moderate fat, low protein (meaning roughly 180g which is still plenty), low fibre and absolutely no veg. Drink sugary drinks all day and definitely no cardio. Sounds alright.

Eat a container of peanut butter - 3,000 cals or so.

This is my dream.

Maybe one day this winter you and I'll will sit down and have a contest to see who can eat the most peanut butter- although- lord- a day later that won't go well for me LMAO.

Because honestly- I'm not sure I could EAT a whole container of peanut butter!!!

Now that sounds like a good time!

If we are talking a whole day, I think I could do it. I have no idea what that would do to my stomach, but I think I could get it down.

Can I join with a jar of Trader Joe's cookie butter?
    That's about 2400 cals...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Well, make no mistake, 6000+ calories a day every day is no small feat. Anyone on the planet is going to struggle with this.

Furthermore, it appears that you don't eat meat and that's just going to make it even harder.

Having said that, your macros and food choices seem nicely varied (for not eating meat) and you're definitely hitting some of the tricks you need to hit to hit 6000 consistently. Fatty foods and treats like chocolate help a lot of course. Beer does help too, don't worry about the negative advice you got there. My last bulk, I drank a minimum of one large, heavy beer every day (at least 500 calories) and that helped fill in some of the spare calories. Not a lot of nutrition but who cares, you need calories. You're getting plenty of nutrition already with that kind of caloric load so beer isn't going to hurt a thing.

My suggestion? You are already doing it to an extent but - more caloric drinks. Calorie-laden drinks are perfect for adding calories while adding minimal fullness. You're doing a decent amount of fruit juices which is good, but when I added up the quantities it was fairly low. I'd say you average 32 ounces (1/4 gallon) of drinks a day. Get that up. Way up. Double or quadruple it. Drink fruit juice, coconut water, vitamin water, gatorade, whatever floats your boat. Soda may be a problem (carbonation will only made you feel more full/bloated/gassy). But yeah, don't drink any water. Make sure every liquid has calories. If you're gonna make a protein shake, use whole milk. Throw some Hershey's in there while you're at it. And a little MCT for that matter (any sort of quick-digesting fat really). Your protein shakes look to be around 300 calories each, that could double or triple easily if you threw some heavy liquid, sweetener, fats in there. And it really wouldn't take a lot of extra work or prep to do.

Even if you just doubled your drink intake, you'd add 500 calories a day (roughly 32ounces at about 15 calories an ounce - depending on the drink of course). If you downed a gallon of caloric drinks every day you'd add 1500 calories a day. This is easily doable, I drink way more than a gallon a day myself. Plus there's minimal prep and storage involved. Just keep a drink by your side all day.

Thanks for this, I think it's really realistic and useful advice. As Arnold said "Milk is for babies, when you are a man you drink Beer."
    I was already trying to 'drink my calories' with about 1l of fruit juice a day but like you said I could be doing much more.
    My only concern is a loss of insulin sensitivity. Constantly bombarding the body with sugar sounds like a recipe for diabetes. Lifting should negate this but still it just seems wrong somehow.
    My plan is to basically eat as much 'unhealthy' food as possible and do the exact opposite of general health advice: Extremely high carbs, moderate fat, low protein (meaning roughly 180g which is still plenty), low fibre and absolutely no veg. Drink sugary drinks all day and definitely no cardio. Sounds alright.

This is my dream.

Maybe one day this winter you and I'll will sit down and have a contest to see who can eat the most peanut butter- although- lord- a day later that won't go well for me LMAO.

Because honestly- I'm not sure I could EAT a whole container of peanut butter!!!

If we are talking a whole day, I think I could do it. I have no idea what that would do to my stomach, but I think I could get it down.

Peanut butter party!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    As said before, most of what you appear to be eating are "empty" calories - they won't give you much proper nutrition and you can't expect them to help.

I don't know much about bulking but I do know that whether you want to lose or gain, empty calories are not the way to go. Also, more protein. I am a 5'9 female and I eat as much protein as you're recording in a day . . . just a thought.

Empty calories are exactly what's needed.

You said you don't know much about bulking - you don't, you should join us on the dark side sometime :)

I think the 6000 cals really works in OPs favour as vegan/vegetarian(?). I say this as usually threads come up from people who don't eat meat, struggling to get the protein in within calories - OP has no such problem.

Like someone else said, just hammering the PB will solve any issues with being under cals. And beer and icecream and anything else he fancies.

Trying to eat 6000 cals in a 'healthy' or 'clean' way would be an absolute nightmare.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Any ideas why I might not be gaining any weight?

You're burning more than you think and eating less than you think.

This.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This is my dream.

I feel like a day is too long- perhaps 4 -6 hours- and I'm talking a REAL jar of peanut butter- not one of those ridiculous little tiny jars that holds 1.5 cups.

Yeah- I feel like toilet time the next day might be kind of interesting.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    <

I have these, can I come too?
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Eat a pint of ice cream Talenti, Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Dazs

Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Buns *drools*
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would love to have this problem.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    Eat a pint of ice cream Talenti, Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Dazs

Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Buns *drools*

Talenti and Ben & Jerry's are my nightly go-tos! Yum.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    <

I have these, can I come too?

I don't like Nutella but yes, please come!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I feel like nuttelle is unfair- it has chocolate in it.

But perhaps there should be a nutella competition?

My coworker said he thought he could put down the whole big jar in an hour. I'm wondering if we were over generous with our time table!!!!
  • 3laine75
    Options
    OMG OMG OMG - mixed, there is literally nothing better :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I feel like nuttelle is unfair- it has chocolate in it.

But perhaps there should be a nutella competition?

My coworker said he thought he could put down the whole big jar in an hour. I'm wondering if we were over generous with our time table!!!!

No bread, just a spoon? I think it's possible.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    oh..... I am so jealous, and drooling just imagining what I can eat with 6000 calories a day!!!

I have been dreaming to have peanut butter sandwich with bacon and a pumpkin spice latte for breakfast (around 1000 cal total) :p

rice and beans, fried plantains, whole fat yogurt, cheese and bread.... Good luck!
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

This is my dream.

Peanut butter party!

Should I take a number for the party? I think I can finish a jar of peanut butter in a day, I am talking about the jar you got from Costco!!!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In for the Nutella competition. ;)

But OP I do feel for you... 6000 cals is a lot... as jealous as everyone is, there comes a point where eating that much day in and day out I would imagine is just.. exhausting. As others said, liquids go a long way. You can usually hide quite a few cals in smoothies: whole milk, juice, pb, ice cream, alcohol helps too.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a jar of Nutella over the course of a day multiple times. Was trying to have "just a little bit" and ended up killing the thing. I could do a jar in under an hour, with a spoon, no problem.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    I've eaten a jar of Nutella over the course of a day multiple times. Was trying to have "just a little bit" and ended up killing the thing. I could do a jar in under an hour, with a spoon, no problem.

This ^

Also, quick tip, never NEVER weigh the spoonful you usually log as 15g (this works for PB too) - it's not pretty.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

That's a good question RE: insulin sensitivity. In my uneducated opinion, I don't think it'd be that much of a problem. If you are maintaining at 6000 calories then your metabolism is basically nuclear-furnace level. You obviously have intense workouts and a very active job/lifestyle to achieve that level . You would be burning through whatever you eat all day.

A little bit more of uneducated anecdotal comparisons, just look at pro strongmen and powerlifters and such. Have you ever seen what their diets look like? It's atrocious. A box of pop-tarts is a small snack. The amount of "junk" they eat is insane but you don't exactly hear of any sort of type II diabetes running rampant among these circles. And these are guys who are supporting 300-400lb+frames with probably 8-10k calories a day.

My last little bit of advice is to fully utilize all waking hours of the day. When you wake up, eat something. Immediately. Down a protein shake loaded with everything you can throw in it, if needed. Make it the night before and throw it in the fridge if prep is a PITA. Same thing for at night. Last thing you do before you go to bed should be to eat something else (probably something easily-digestible so it doesn't keep you up). Don't let any time be wasted without your body digesting something. Hell, I've heard of people who set their alarms at night to wake up and eat in the middle of the night. Not saying you need to do that but every little bit helps :)