6000 calories a day and not gaining weight.

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

Well, being that this is in the "gaining weight" portion of the site, I can't imagine what would happen if OP went to the losing weight portion and told people trying to lose that they were lucky to be gaining. Just an observation.

I don't know, maybe they have a better sense of humour over there?

OP - Sorry if I caused any offence - I wish I had your metabolism, my bulk will probably consist of a measly 2400.

OdesAngel - not sorry at all - maybe you should give OP some advice instead of policing his thread.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Taking a quick look at your diary:

1) I often eat more protein than you do per day, and I am a tiny female!
    2) Lager does not count as a decent calorie source. It is 'empty' calories and burns off very rapidly with no nutritional benefits (sorry dude)
    3) I suspect you are not measuring quite as accurately as you think
    4) You are concentrating all your eating into too few sessions per day, no wonder you feel like you are force feeding yourself!

Ideas:

1) Eat at least 6 meals a day. Set your watch so you eat every 2-3 hours, and stick to it. you will not feel so bloated and your tummy will thank you for it
    2) Increase your protein, aim for about 30-35% (I know this is hard when you are not a meat eater, so add vegan protein powder to your meals - e.g. mix it in soups/stews)
    3) Add coconut oil (warm it up so it is liquid) to your shakes
    4) Meal prep in advance so you are never faced with 'what shall I eat?', as this makes it easier to get your macros in
    5) I would avoid appetite stimulants, as they rarely work and the idea is to help your body naturally grow in response to increased damand to build muscle
    6) Avoid caffeine (this includes in chocolate) as it is an appetite supressant

However...
    Do you really need to be bigger? Is your gain just at a plateau due to 'stale workout', and what you really need is a change in your workout routine to get things going again? Is your body trying to tell you it needs a break from the bulk and that it want's to maintain for a bit in order to consolidate the gains?

Increasing protein isn't necessary and probably is a bad idea given his caloric load and appetite issues. Since protein is likely more satiating it's going to cause him to feel fuller. Additionally given that caloric load his protein requirements aren't going to be nearly as high as someone in a deficit.

30% of 6000 calories coming from protein is about 450g protein which isn't at all necessary.

• SideSteel
    Options
    What are your daily activity levels outside of the gym and how much cardio are you doing in addition to your resistance training?

Are your lifts going up regularly on your 6/week schedule?

What I'm looking at here is whether or not you can also make a reduction in energy output and you may also be able to reduce your training load to 4/week and make things more efficient, but that depends on what you're currently doing and how your recovery is.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

Well, being that this is in the "gaining weight" portion of the site, I can't imagine what would happen if OP went to the losing weight portion and told people trying to lose that they were lucky to be gaining. Just an observation.

OP - Sorry if I caused any offence - I wish I had your metabolism, my bulk will probably consist of a measly 2400.

OdesAngel - not sorry at all - maybe you should give OP some advice instead of policing his thread.
    thanks for apologizing to OP, it's hard to admit when your wrong. You have
    have a fabulous day.

Op, you're getting lots of awesome advise on this thread.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I agree that you may have an easier time breaking up some of that food into a couple snacks. I would say protein intake is adequate.
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options

2) Lager does not count as a decent calorie source. It is 'empty' calories and burns off very rapidly with no nutritional benefits (sorry dude)
    4) You are concentrating all your eating into too few sessions per day, no wonder you feel like you are force feeding yourself!

1) I think 200-250g per day is plenty.
    2) You're right (dammit!) but beer is a fairly rare occurrence.
    3) Like I said I do the best I can with measuring to the gram/ml. I also check different entries to make sure the foods I am entering have all the right data.
    4) The breakfast, lunch, dinner thing is just the default setting which I haven't changed. I eat at least every 3 hours if not more often.

Coconut oil is a good shout I'll start having that again. Was just put off by the fact it is saturated fat but it's probably not important. I'll look more thoroughly into the caffeine content of dark chocolate as I had no idea! So thanks for that.
    SideSteel wrote: »
    What are your daily activity levels outside of the gym and how much cardio are you doing in addition to your resistance training?

What I'm looking at here is whether or not you can also make a reduction in energy output and you may also be able to reduce your training load to 4/week and make things more efficient, but that depends on what you're currently doing and how your recovery is.

I see your logic but I am trying to create a calorie surplus in order to gain muscle efficiently. Reducing volume goes against this so sadly isn't an option. I do no dedicated cardio; heavy walking lunges are plenty for me.

Thanks for the interesting input.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    What does your workout routine look like? If you're spending at least 30 minutes at a time working out, 6 days a week seems like it could be more than what's needed to stimulate muscle growth. In other words, what SideSteel is stating is that perhaps cutting the overall volume down may not be a bad thing (depending on how much weight lifting you're actually doing).
  • SideSteel
    edited November 2014
    Options

1) I think 200-250g per day is plenty.
    2) You're right (dammit!) but beer is a fairly rare occurrence.
    3) Like I said I do the best I can with measuring to the gram/ml. I also check different entries to make sure the foods I am entering have all the right data.
    4) The breakfast, lunch, dinner thing is just the default setting which I haven't changed. I eat at least every 3 hours if not more often.

Coconut oil is a good shout I'll start having that again. Was just put off by the fact it is saturated fat but it's probably not important. I'll look more thoroughly into the caffeine content of dark chocolate as I had no idea! So thanks for that.

I see your logic but I am trying to create a calorie surplus in order to gain muscle efficiently. Reducing volume goes against this so sadly isn't an option. I do no dedicated cardio; heavy walking lunges are plenty for me.

Thanks for the interesting input.

You are making the assumption that you are at a minimum effective volume for growth if you are claiming that you absolutely cannot reduce training volume and/or frequency. Now to be clear I'm not suggesting you have to, but I would certainly question the necessity for 6/week training as being optimal. If you're that advanced that you require that high of training volume then so be it but I'd call that into question.

Additionally though my point still stands about energy expenditure. How active are you outside of the gym and can you decrease energy expenditure by reducing NEAT/etc?

Specifically with my first paragraph in this reply, when you say "reducing volume goes against this" that only is true if you are reducing volume below the threshold at which you will effectively grow.

If your volume is above and beyond what you require to stimulate hypertrophy then logically you may have room to reduce it.

I'd also be curious as to the progress in your lifts and whether or not you're making continual gains in strength with 6/week training. Additional recovery time may benefit progress, but that's something you would have to answer. If you're able to keep pushing along and make progress on that schedule then more power to you of course.
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    30 minutes at a time working out, 6 days a week seems like it could be more than what's needed to stimulate muscle growth.
    You are making the assumption that you are at a minimum effective volume for growth

Depends on the person and their level of advancement. Muscle growth is stimulated by an increase in volume. The level I am at requires the volume I do.

Additionally though my point still stands about energy expenditure. How active are you outside of the gym and can you decrease energy expenditure by reducing NEAT/etc?

I have a fairly active job but that won't change. Unless I go about on a mobility scooter to save the calories from walking :joke:.

Let's just say that my training is fine, I am progressing and recovering well and my main question is: How can I consume more calories/increase appetite? Or if anyone has had similar experiences with high calorie diets and no weight gain and how they solved it. Thanks
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Well, make no mistake, 6000+ calories a day every day is no small feat. Anyone on the planet is going to struggle with this.

Furthermore, it appears that you don't eat meat and that's just going to make it even harder.

Having said that, your macros and food choices seem nicely varied (for not eating meat) and you're definitely hitting some of the tricks you need to hit to hit 6000 consistently. Fatty foods and treats like chocolate help a lot of course. Beer does help too, don't worry about the negative advice you got there. My last bulk, I drank a minimum of one large, heavy beer every day (at least 500 calories) and that helped fill in some of the spare calories. Not a lot of nutrition but who cares, you need calories. You're getting plenty of nutrition already with that kind of caloric load so beer isn't going to hurt a thing.

My suggestion? You are already doing it to an extent but - more caloric drinks. Calorie-laden drinks are perfect for adding calories while adding minimal fullness. You're doing a decent amount of fruit juices which is good, but when I added up the quantities it was fairly low. I'd say you average 32 ounces (1/4 gallon) of drinks a day. Get that up. Way up. Double or quadruple it. Drink fruit juice, coconut water, vitamin water, gatorade, whatever floats your boat. Soda may be a problem (carbonation will only made you feel more full/bloated/gassy). But yeah, don't drink any water. Make sure every liquid has calories. If you're gonna make a protein shake, use whole milk. Throw some Hershey's in there while you're at it. And a little MCT for that matter (any sort of quick-digesting fat really). Your protein shakes look to be around 300 calories each, that could double or triple easily if you threw some heavy liquid, sweetener, fats in there. And it really wouldn't take a lot of extra work or prep to do.

Even if you just doubled your drink intake, you'd add 500 calories a day (roughly 32ounces at about 15 calories an ounce - depending on the drink of course). If you downed a gallon of caloric drinks every day you'd add 1500 calories a day. This is easily doable, I drink way more than a gallon a day myself. Plus there's minimal prep and storage involved. Just keep a drink by your side all day.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Just put butter on everything...
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

THIS!!!! WTF! Why complain lol?

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

have a fabulous day.

Confused as to why she had to apologize at all...she was being jealous in a cheeky eat that he had to increase calories. I'm at 2700 and I'm jealous too! :-)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

have a fabulous day.

Confused as to why she had to apologize at all...she was being jealous in a cheeky eat that he had to increase calories. I'm at 2700 and I'm jealous too! :-)
    Yeah I was confused as to why she apologized, too.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous too, except I like meat.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    What about a calorie dense drink between meals. Something like Ensure.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and their level of advancement. Muscle growth is stimulated by an increase in volume. The level I am at requires the volume I do.

What level is that?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

What level is that?

LMFAO
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Maybe its your workouts. Can you try fewer, but with heavier weights, for example. That might stimulate more muscle growth, and leave you at more of a surplus
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

have a fabulous day.

I was confused too :/

But I thought, I better apologise incase the, 'I'm jealous, you're lucky!' thing we do here didn't translate - haha seems it does.

Think the person who felt the need to chastise me was having a bad day - maybe had to deal with some 'mean people' or was hangry idk.