6000 calories a day and not gaining weight.

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    But OP I do feel for you... 6000 cals is a lot... as jealous as everyone is, there comes a point where eating that much day in and day out I would imagine is just.. exhausting.
    My thoughts exactly. For many of us, that's like taking every single thing we eat/drink, doubling it, and then some on top of that. And not just one day, but every day. I don't think some people realize just how much food this really is. Even for many who struggle with trying to lose weight, even this is a bit much.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    I've eaten a jar of Nutella over the course of a day multiple times. Was trying to have "just a little bit" and ended up killing the thing. I could do a jar in under an hour, with a spoon, no problem.
    I eat so little peanut butter I don't even have a good grasp on how long it would actually take. We should do this.

But not this week- because I have a show saturday and can't afford to be sick... also I had a long weekend of over eating LMAO.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I've eaten a jar of Nutella over the course of a day multiple times. Was trying to have "just a little bit" and ended up killing the thing. I could do a jar in under an hour, with a spoon, no problem.
    I eat so little peanut butter I don't even have a good grasp on how long it would actually take. We should do this.

But not this week- because I have a show saturday and can't afford to be sick... also I had a long weekend of over eating LMAO.

Deal. I gotta buy a jar of Nutella this weekend then. Haven't had it in my house in awhile for that very reason.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    But OP I do feel for you... 6000 cals is a lot... as jealous as everyone is, there comes a point where eating that much day in and day out I would imagine is just.. exhausting.
    My thoughts exactly. For many of us, that's like taking every single thing we eat/drink, doubling it, and then some on top of that. And not just one day, but every day. I don't think some people realize just how much food this really is. Even for many who struggle with trying to lose weight, even this is a bit much.

Nevermind how much it would cost! If you do make shakes, you could add oats as a cheap source of calories to your shake. Rice and beans are cheap, but they're also a lot of volume of food, which will make things difficult since you're already having problems getting enough calories. Peanut butter is pretty calorie dense for the cost (especially with store brands and buying in bulk).

I don't know much about programming and building muscle, but I'd agree with sidesteel that it seems like reducing calorie expenditure might be a good way to approach this since there will be a point where you just can't eat enough. You seem to have a good grasp of what your training should be, but maybe try to reevaluate and verify with others who are knowledgeable that your training is optimal (or minimum) needed to meet your goals.

If you are at your training minimum, good luck with getting the calories in, and you seem to have gotten a lot of good advice already.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Add a weight gainer. For christs sake don't try and force yourself to eat that much.

VIT-00027-1.jpg
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

Well, being that this is in the "gaining weight" portion of the site, I can't imagine what would happen if OP went to the losing weight portion and told people trying to lose that they were lucky to be gaining. Just an observation.

I don't know, maybe they have a better sense of humour over there?

OP - Sorry if I caused any offence - I wish I had your metabolism, my bulk will probably consist of a measly 2400.

OdesAngel - not sorry at all - maybe you should give OP some advice instead of policing his thread.
    thanks for apologizing to OP, it's hard to admit when your wrong. You have
    have a fabulous day.

Op, you're getting lots of awesome advise on this thread.

Confused as to why she had to apologize at all...she was being jealous in a cheeky eat that he had to increase calories. I'm at 2700 and I'm jealous too! :-)

I was confused too :/

But I thought, I better apologise incase the, 'I'm jealous, you're lucky!' thing we do here didn't translate - haha seems it does.

Think the person who felt the need to chastise me was having a bad day - maybe had to deal with some 'mean people' or was hangry idk.

Why so mad? Hope your day is going well.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Can I get in this peanut butter/nutella competition? I could eat a jar of smucker's natural crunchy PB in an hour or less.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

Well, being that this is in the "gaining weight" portion of the site, I can't imagine what would happen if OP went to the losing weight portion and told people trying to lose that they were lucky to be gaining. Just an observation.

OP - Sorry if I caused any offence - I wish I had your metabolism, my bulk will probably consist of a measly 2400.

OdesAngel - not sorry at all - maybe you should give OP some advice instead of policing his thread.
    have a fabulous day.

Confused as to why she had to apologize at all...she was being jealous in a cheeky eat that he had to increase calories. I'm at 2700 and I'm jealous too! :-)

But I thought, I better apologise incase the, 'I'm jealous, you're lucky!' thing we do here didn't translate - haha seems it does.

Think the person who felt the need to chastise me was having a bad day - maybe had to deal with some 'mean people' or was hangry idk.

ElsaDanceSnow.gif

Come to the PB/Nutella party, you'll feel better :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

have a fabulous day.

ElsaDanceSnow.gif

k
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

I'm sure my niece could down a whole jar of Lotus Biscoff Cookie Spread Creamy in a day.
  • robrsmith
    robrsmith Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Any time you're thinking about using whole milk, use heavy whipping cream instead. It's got 820 calories per cup. You'll be super bulky in no time.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I believe that most humans undergo a hormonal transformation during their middle twenties. My research suggests that HGH (alone or in combination) is the culprit and that some of us are very sensitive to it and this keeps us slim no matter what. When HGH production slows down at about 26YO (for most of us), that "weight brake" is removed and things change.

When I was your age, I ate probably more than you and could not get over 50Kgs (I am only 165cm). I could not pack on any muscle and looked like a stick insect. At 30YO suddenly I was looking at 85 Kgs on about 2500 calories working from sunrise to sunset at a job and on our small farm on weekends. Not all of it was fat - there was a lot of muscle that had been denied me all my earlier life. Finally I peaked at 111 KGs and have been stuggling downwards since. 35 Years later 85Kgs is slowly creeping closer.

Be careful what you wish for.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

have a fabulous day.

ElsaDanceSnow.gif

k

Excellent!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    ^ that's a good point.

There doesn't seem to be anything scientific to back it up but I've had the same experience. I never worried about weight and ate like a horse till around 25 and never shifted from 9 and a half stone.

Even two pregnancies had no affect on my 'fighting' weight. But age, definitely affected it. I've been yo-yo dieting since about 25 - might be something in it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Well, make no mistake, 6000+ calories a day every day is no small feat. Anyone on the planet is going to struggle with this.

Furthermore, it appears that you don't eat meat and that's just going to make it even harder.

Having said that, your macros and food choices seem nicely varied (for not eating meat) and you're definitely hitting some of the tricks you need to hit to hit 6000 consistently. Fatty foods and treats like chocolate help a lot of course. Beer does help too, don't worry about the negative advice you got there. My last bulk, I drank a minimum of one large, heavy beer every day (at least 500 calories) and that helped fill in some of the spare calories. Not a lot of nutrition but who cares, you need calories. You're getting plenty of nutrition already with that kind of caloric load so beer isn't going to hurt a thing.

My suggestion? You are already doing it to an extent but - more caloric drinks. Calorie-laden drinks are perfect for adding calories while adding minimal fullness. You're doing a decent amount of fruit juices which is good, but when I added up the quantities it was fairly low. I'd say you average 32 ounces (1/4 gallon) of drinks a day. Get that up. Way up. Double or quadruple it. Drink fruit juice, coconut water, vitamin water, gatorade, whatever floats your boat. Soda may be a problem (carbonation will only made you feel more full/bloated/gassy). But yeah, don't drink any water. Make sure every liquid has calories. If you're gonna make a protein shake, use whole milk. Throw some Hershey's in there while you're at it. And a little MCT for that matter (any sort of quick-digesting fat really). Your protein shakes look to be around 300 calories each, that could double or triple easily if you threw some heavy liquid, sweetener, fats in there. And it really wouldn't take a lot of extra work or prep to do.

Even if you just doubled your drink intake, you'd add 500 calories a day (roughly 32ounces at about 15 calories an ounce - depending on the drink of course). If you downed a gallon of caloric drinks every day you'd add 1500 calories a day. This is easily doable, I drink way more than a gallon a day myself. Plus there's minimal prep and storage involved. Just keep a drink by your side all day.

Thanks for this, I think it's really realistic and useful advice. As Arnold said "Milk is for babies, when you are a man you drink Beer."
    I was already trying to 'drink my calories' with about 1l of fruit juice a day but like you said I could be doing much more.
    My only concern is a loss of insulin sensitivity. Constantly bombarding the body with sugar sounds like a recipe for diabetes. Lifting should negate this but still it just seems wrong somehow.
    My plan is to basically eat as much 'unhealthy' food as possible and do the exact opposite of general health advice: Extremely high carbs, moderate fat, low protein (meaning roughly 180g which is still plenty), low fibre and absolutely no veg. Drink sugary drinks all day and definitely no cardio. Sounds alright.

Eat a container of peanut butter - 3,000 cals or so.

This is my dream.

Maybe one day this winter you and I'll will sit down and have a contest to see who can eat the most peanut butter- although- lord- a day later that won't go well for me LMAO.

Because honestly- I'm not sure I could EAT a whole container of peanut butter!!!

Now that sounds like a good time!

If we are talking a whole day, I think I could do it. I have no idea what that would do to my stomach, but I think I could get it down.

Oh, don't do it! I tried it once and was turned off of PB for several years before I could eat it again! Once you make yourself sick on a food you'll likely end up with an aversion to it for the longest time and then you've lost a favourite food!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sounds like the OP needs the Michael Phelps Challenge!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uKOsGQFQxA8

ETA I have known a few people who could eat 6500 to 8000 cals per day during training. Mostly endurance bikers but 6000 for a lifter is pretty high unless you are on a competitive lifting team and in the gym 6 hours a day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Well, make no mistake, 6000+ calories a day every day is no small feat. Anyone on the planet is going to struggle with this.

Furthermore, it appears that you don't eat meat and that's just going to make it even harder.

Having said that, your macros and food choices seem nicely varied (for not eating meat) and you're definitely hitting some of the tricks you need to hit to hit 6000 consistently. Fatty foods and treats like chocolate help a lot of course. Beer does help too, don't worry about the negative advice you got there. My last bulk, I drank a minimum of one large, heavy beer every day (at least 500 calories) and that helped fill in some of the spare calories. Not a lot of nutrition but who cares, you need calories. You're getting plenty of nutrition already with that kind of caloric load so beer isn't going to hurt a thing.

My suggestion? You are already doing it to an extent but - more caloric drinks. Calorie-laden drinks are perfect for adding calories while adding minimal fullness. You're doing a decent amount of fruit juices which is good, but when I added up the quantities it was fairly low. I'd say you average 32 ounces (1/4 gallon) of drinks a day. Get that up. Way up. Double or quadruple it. Drink fruit juice, coconut water, vitamin water, gatorade, whatever floats your boat. Soda may be a problem (carbonation will only made you feel more full/bloated/gassy). But yeah, don't drink any water. Make sure every liquid has calories. If you're gonna make a protein shake, use whole milk. Throw some Hershey's in there while you're at it. And a little MCT for that matter (any sort of quick-digesting fat really). Your protein shakes look to be around 300 calories each, that could double or triple easily if you threw some heavy liquid, sweetener, fats in there. And it really wouldn't take a lot of extra work or prep to do.

Even if you just doubled your drink intake, you'd add 500 calories a day (roughly 32ounces at about 15 calories an ounce - depending on the drink of course). If you downed a gallon of caloric drinks every day you'd add 1500 calories a day. This is easily doable, I drink way more than a gallon a day myself. Plus there's minimal prep and storage involved. Just keep a drink by your side all day.

Thanks for this, I think it's really realistic and useful advice. As Arnold said "Milk is for babies, when you are a man you drink Beer."
    I was already trying to 'drink my calories' with about 1l of fruit juice a day but like you said I could be doing much more.
    My only concern is a loss of insulin sensitivity. Constantly bombarding the body with sugar sounds like a recipe for diabetes. Lifting should negate this but still it just seems wrong somehow.
    My plan is to basically eat as much 'unhealthy' food as possible and do the exact opposite of general health advice: Extremely high carbs, moderate fat, low protein (meaning roughly 180g which is still plenty), low fibre and absolutely no veg. Drink sugary drinks all day and definitely no cardio. Sounds alright.

Eat a container of peanut butter - 3,000 cals or so.

This is my dream.

Maybe one day this winter you and I'll will sit down and have a contest to see who can eat the most peanut butter- although- lord- a day later that won't go well for me LMAO.

Because honestly- I'm not sure I could EAT a whole container of peanut butter!!!

Now that sounds like a good time!

If we are talking a whole day, I think I could do it. I have no idea what that would do to my stomach, but I think I could get it down.

Oh, don't do it! I tried it once and was turned off of PB for several years before I could eat it again! Once you make yourself sick on a food you'll likely end up with an aversion to it for the longest time and then you've lost a favourite food!

That is me and white marshmallows (and tequila lol)... One time when I was a kid I was doing a Christmas craft with the marshmallows and it was all, one for the craft, 10 for me.. Lol... I got so sick that night, now I think of them and it still turns my stomach. So ya I agree, eat enough but not overdo it and make yourself sick!

• derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That's going to require a lot of milk too!

Eat a container of peanut butter - 3,000 cals or so. [/quote]

This is my dream. [/quote]

[/quote]

• busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    this quote below,

and add some greens and meat / fish! You are eating way too much estrogen producing and HGH blocking foods mate.
    Taking a quick look at your diary:

1) I often eat more protein than you do per day, and I am a tiny female!
    2) Lager does not count as a decent calorie source. It is 'empty' calories and burns off very rapidly with no nutritional benefits (sorry dude)
    3) I suspect you are not measuring quite as accurately as you think
    4) You are concentrating all your eating into too few sessions per day, no wonder you feel like you are force feeding yourself!

Ideas:

1) Eat at least 6 meals a day. Set your watch so you eat every 2-3 hours, and stick to it. you will not feel so bloated and your tummy will thank you for it
    2) Increase your protein, aim for about 30-35% (I know this is hard when you are not a meat eater, so add vegan protein powder to your meals - e.g. mix it in soups/stews)
    3) Add coconut oil (warm it up so it is liquid) to your shakes
    4) Meal prep in advance so you are never faced with 'what shall I eat?', as this makes it easier to get your macros in
    5) I would avoid appetite stimulants, as they rarely work and the idea is to help your body naturally grow in response to increased damand to build muscle
    6) Avoid caffeine (this includes in chocolate) as it is an appetite supressant

happy training,
    coachteresacpt

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    robrsmith wrote: »
    Any time you're thinking about using whole milk, use heavy whipping cream instead. It's got 820 calories per cup. You'll be super bulky in no time.

I feel like this would be the best bowl of cereal ever. Even using a few drops of half and half makes grapenuts taste so good (yes, I realize most people think it's like eating rocks).