6000 calories a day and not gaining weight.

Options
I'm 25, 1.8m and 88kg. Lifting 6 times a week. Currently eating 6000 cals a day and maintaining. Pretty uncomfortable most of the time and force feeding.
My goal is to get to around 100kg.
Any ideas why I might not be gaining any weight?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 6000cals for? are you consistent? are you otherwise health. unless you have been consistent over at least a few months you can't really judge
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Any ideas why I might not be gaining any weight?

You're burning more than you think and eating less than you think.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you are uncomfortable and force feeding to get 6000/day, maybe look into more calorie dense foods. Looking at your diary, it appears that you don't eat snacks. Try smaller meals every few hours instead of 3 (or 2) large meals a day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh, the force feeding and discomfort sounds bad. Try focusing on some fats to up your cals with less volume. 6 days a week of working out sounds like you might be burning lots of cals. What if you had rest days? Could you still get bigger without requiring so many cals?
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who's on the same boat as you mate! There are some supplements out there that can aid, however I'm not so sure what they're called (to make you feel hungrier)

Before you do that though, are you sure you're measuring everything accurately? Because I know of some people that guestimate their caloric intake, they think they're getting in a ton, but they're actually undereating
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    By the way, how's your daily fiber intake? and out of concern, your current macro ratios?
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    If you are uncomfortable and force feeding to get 6000/day, maybe look into more calorie dense foods.
    Having a naturally low appetite, even only 6000 is difficult so any more and I wouldn't be able to keep it down. I already eat nuts, hummus, oil, chocolate, protein powder etc.
    Just wondering if anyone had any insight other than 'eat more' e.g. macronutrient quantity and timing manipulation. Also wondering if the thermic effect of food comes into play at such high quantities.
    There are some supplements out there that can aid, however I'm not so sure what they're called (to make you feel hungrier)

Before you do that though, are you sure you're measuring everything accurately?
    That sounds interesting thanks I'll look up those supps.
    I track everything as accurately as possible using scales, packets and measuring jugs.
    By the way, how's your daily fiber intake? and out of concern, your current macro ratios?
    Fibre is around 50-100g per day and macros are C:F:P 750:233:225. My diary is public so you can see for yourself if you like.
    Thanks for responses.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Are you 100% sure you are eating 6,000 calories?
  • whelwhel
    Options
    Why do you specifically want to weigh 100kg?
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can buy protein powders made for bulking and are 1,000+ kcals.
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tapeworm.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

Well, being that this is in the "gaining weight" portion of the site, I can't imagine what would happen if OP went to the losing weight portion and told people trying to lose that they were lucky to be gaining. Just an observation.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Muscle goes on slower than fat, and you may still be burning off some fat weight as you build lean mass. From what I have read: 1 - 2 lbs of lean mass per month is aggressive. So given you are not losing, you are probably pretty close to where you need to be. Measurements (size and body fat) might be better indicators at this point..
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Have you been been tested for hyperthroid?
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Taking a quick look at your diary:

1) I often eat more protein than you do per day, and I am a tiny female!
    2) Lager does not count as a decent calorie source. It is 'empty' calories and burns off very rapidly with no nutritional benefits (sorry dude)
    3) I suspect you are not measuring quite as accurately as you think
    4) You are concentrating all your eating into too few sessions per day, no wonder you feel like you are force feeding yourself!

Ideas:

1) Eat at least 6 meals a day. Set your watch so you eat every 2-3 hours, and stick to it. you will not feel so bloated and your tummy will thank you for it
    2) Increase your protein, aim for about 30-35% (I know this is hard when you are not a meat eater, so add vegan protein powder to your meals - e.g. mix it in soups/stews)
    3) Add coconut oil (warm it up so it is liquid) to your shakes
    4) Meal prep in advance so you are never faced with 'what shall I eat?', as this makes it easier to get your macros in
    5) I would avoid appetite stimulants, as they rarely work and the idea is to help your body naturally grow in response to increased damand to build muscle
    6) Avoid caffeine (this includes in chocolate) as it is an appetite supressant

However...
    Do you really need to be bigger? Is your gain just at a plateau due to 'stale workout', and what you really need is a change in your workout routine to get things going again? Is your body trying to tell you it needs a break from the bulk and that it want's to maintain for a bit in order to consolidate the gains?

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Can't tell from a look at your diary if this may be an issue for you, but be sure you are using accurate entries from the database as well.

I have found some to make my entries off by as many as a couple hundred calories, so if you are eating quantity of something with a bum entry that could be skewing your counts high as well.

Though from what I could tell it looks like you are matching entries up to weights and package labels pretty good. I always like to keep an eye on MFP math.