6000 calories a day and not gaining weight.

Options

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Lucky basterd!

Eat more.

Well, being that this is in the "gaining weight" portion of the site, I can't imagine what would happen if OP went to the losing weight portion and told people trying to lose that they were lucky to be gaining. Just an observation.

I don't know, maybe they have a better sense of humour over there?

OP - Sorry if I caused any offence - I wish I had your metabolism, my bulk will probably consist of a measly 2400.

OdesAngel - not sorry at all - maybe you should give OP some advice instead of policing his thread.
    thanks for apologizing to OP, it's hard to admit when your wrong. You have
    have a fabulous day.

Op, you're getting lots of awesome advise on this thread.

Confused as to why she had to apologize at all...she was being jealous in a cheeky eat that he had to increase calories. I'm at 2700 and I'm jealous too! :-)

I was confused too :/

But I thought, I better apologise incase the, 'I'm jealous, you're lucky!' thing we do here didn't translate - haha seems it does.

Think the person who felt the need to chastise me was having a bad day - maybe had to deal with some 'mean people' or was hangry idk.

I feel ya!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Buy serious MASS
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Well, make no mistake, 6000+ calories a day every day is no small feat. Anyone on the planet is going to struggle with this.

Furthermore, it appears that you don't eat meat and that's just going to make it even harder.

Having said that, your macros and food choices seem nicely varied (for not eating meat) and you're definitely hitting some of the tricks you need to hit to hit 6000 consistently. Fatty foods and treats like chocolate help a lot of course. Beer does help too, don't worry about the negative advice you got there. My last bulk, I drank a minimum of one large, heavy beer every day (at least 500 calories) and that helped fill in some of the spare calories. Not a lot of nutrition but who cares, you need calories. You're getting plenty of nutrition already with that kind of caloric load so beer isn't going to hurt a thing.

My suggestion? You are already doing it to an extent but - more caloric drinks. Calorie-laden drinks are perfect for adding calories while adding minimal fullness. You're doing a decent amount of fruit juices which is good, but when I added up the quantities it was fairly low. I'd say you average 32 ounces (1/4 gallon) of drinks a day. Get that up. Way up. Double or quadruple it. Drink fruit juice, coconut water, vitamin water, gatorade, whatever floats your boat. Soda may be a problem (carbonation will only made you feel more full/bloated/gassy). But yeah, don't drink any water. Make sure every liquid has calories. If you're gonna make a protein shake, use whole milk. Throw some Hershey's in there while you're at it. And a little MCT for that matter (any sort of quick-digesting fat really). Your protein shakes look to be around 300 calories each, that could double or triple easily if you threw some heavy liquid, sweetener, fats in there. And it really wouldn't take a lot of extra work or prep to do.

Even if you just doubled your drink intake, you'd add 500 calories a day (roughly 32ounces at about 15 calories an ounce - depending on the drink of course). If you downed a gallon of caloric drinks every day you'd add 1500 calories a day. This is easily doable, I drink way more than a gallon a day myself. Plus there's minimal prep and storage involved. Just keep a drink by your side all day.

Thanks for this, I think it's really realistic and useful advice. As Arnold said "Milk is for babies, when you are a man you drink Beer."
    I was already trying to 'drink my calories' with about 1l of fruit juice a day but like you said I could be doing much more.
    My only concern is a loss of insulin sensitivity. Constantly bombarding the body with sugar sounds like a recipe for diabetes. Lifting should negate this but still it just seems wrong somehow.
    My plan is to basically eat as much 'unhealthy' food as possible and do the exact opposite of general health advice: Extremely high carbs, moderate fat, low protein (meaning roughly 180g which is still plenty), low fibre and absolutely no veg. Drink sugary drinks all day and definitely no cardio. Sounds alright.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thread cracks me up ...and is another of the typical MFP Help me with (fill in blank here) and OP then gets advice,and says all advice will not work for him ..

OP - as you are doing a great job attaining your goals, just keep doing what you are doing, and ignore all the great advice you got..
    -
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Well, make no mistake, 6000+ calories a day every day is no small feat. Anyone on the planet is going to struggle with this.

Furthermore, it appears that you don't eat meat and that's just going to make it even harder.

Having said that, your macros and food choices seem nicely varied (for not eating meat) and you're definitely hitting some of the tricks you need to hit to hit 6000 consistently. Fatty foods and treats like chocolate help a lot of course. Beer does help too, don't worry about the negative advice you got there. My last bulk, I drank a minimum of one large, heavy beer every day (at least 500 calories) and that helped fill in some of the spare calories. Not a lot of nutrition but who cares, you need calories. You're getting plenty of nutrition already with that kind of caloric load so beer isn't going to hurt a thing.

My suggestion? You are already doing it to an extent but - more caloric drinks. Calorie-laden drinks are perfect for adding calories while adding minimal fullness. You're doing a decent amount of fruit juices which is good, but when I added up the quantities it was fairly low. I'd say you average 32 ounces (1/4 gallon) of drinks a day. Get that up. Way up. Double or quadruple it. Drink fruit juice, coconut water, vitamin water, gatorade, whatever floats your boat. Soda may be a problem (carbonation will only made you feel more full/bloated/gassy). But yeah, don't drink any water. Make sure every liquid has calories. If you're gonna make a protein shake, use whole milk. Throw some Hershey's in there while you're at it. And a little MCT for that matter (any sort of quick-digesting fat really). Your protein shakes look to be around 300 calories each, that could double or triple easily if you threw some heavy liquid, sweetener, fats in there. And it really wouldn't take a lot of extra work or prep to do.

Even if you just doubled your drink intake, you'd add 500 calories a day (roughly 32ounces at about 15 calories an ounce - depending on the drink of course). If you downed a gallon of caloric drinks every day you'd add 1500 calories a day. This is easily doable, I drink way more than a gallon a day myself. Plus there's minimal prep and storage involved. Just keep a drink by your side all day.

Thanks for this, I think it's really realistic and useful advice. As Arnold said "Milk is for babies, when you are a man you drink Beer."
    I was already trying to 'drink my calories' with about 1l of fruit juice a day but like you said I could be doing much more.
    My only concern is a loss of insulin sensitivity. Constantly bombarding the body with sugar sounds like a recipe for diabetes. Lifting should negate this but still it just seems wrong somehow.
    My plan is to basically eat as much 'unhealthy' food as possible and do the exact opposite of general health advice: Extremely high carbs, moderate fat, low protein (meaning roughly 180g which is still plenty), low fibre and absolutely no veg. Drink sugary drinks all day and definitely no cardio. Sounds alright.

Eat a container of peanut butter - 3,000 cals or so.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this thread cracks me up ...and is another of the typical MFP Help me with (fill in blank here) and OP then gets advice,and says all advice will not work for him ..

OP - as you are doing a great job attaining your goals, just keep doing what you are doing, and ignore all the great advice you got..
    -

Get out of here with that type of logic!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    As said before, most of what you appear to be eating are "empty" calories - they won't give you much proper nutrition and you can't expect them to help.

I don't know much about bulking but I do know that whether you want to lose or gain, empty calories are not the way to go. Also, more protein. I am a 5'9 female and I eat as much protein as you're recording in a day . . . just a thought.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    As said before, most of what you appear to be eating are "empty" calories - they won't give you much proper nutrition and you can't expect them to help.

I don't know much about bulking but I do know that whether you want to lose or gain, empty calories are not the way to go. Also, more protein. I am a 5'9 female and I eat as much protein as you're recording in a day . . . just a thought.

What?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

lolno.

Please give us your meal plan on eating 6k calories a day without "empty calories"

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

no.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Buy serious MASS

<<<<<<<<<<<<

yes.

it looks a lot like that.

Also- perhaps slices of cheesecake blended into smoothies.
    As said before, most of what you appear to be eating are "empty" calories - they won't give you much proper nutrition and you can't expect them to help
    please go away.

I would REALLY REALLY REALLY love to see you eat 6000 calories of chicken, quinoa and broccoli.

Empty calories is a key component of bulking. it's part of it. Most people can't bulk on pure chicken and veggies alone.

Secondly- as for protein- carbs are more important for bulking than protein- yes it's important to get protein- but protein weighs in significantly more in the weight LOSS aspect.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

lolno.

Please give us your meal plan on eating 6k calories a day without "empty calories"

Is Pizza empty calories?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

This is my dream.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »

lolno.

Is Pizza empty calories?

Pizza is delicious. Carbs, fat, protein, I call it well rounded! (ba-da-bum!)

Lady who I was quoting called *kitten* "empty calories" not me.
    I'm intelligent enough to realize that it's really hard to hit 6k calories without oreos, potato chips, and candy. My life would be sad without those items anyway...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

no.

no times a million ..

if this were the case there would be no obese people...LOL
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Seriously though you might want to research a little more.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm 25, 1.8m and 88kg. Lifting 6 times a week. Currently eating 6000 cals a day and maintaining. Pretty uncomfortable most of the time and force feeding.
    My goal is to get to around 100kg.
    Any ideas why I might not be gaining any weight?

Eat more calorie dense foods, avacado, nuts, ice cream, peanut butter....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

This is my dream.

Maybe one day this winter you and I'll will sit down and have a contest to see who can eat the most peanut butter- although- lord- a day later that won't go well for me LMAO.

Because honestly- I'm not sure I could EAT a whole container of peanut butter!!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Paige682 wrote: »

This is my dream.

Maybe one day this winter you and I'll will sit down and have a contest to see who can eat the most peanut butter- although- lord- a day later that won't go well for me LMAO.

Because honestly- I'm not sure I could EAT a whole container of peanut butter!!!

Now that sounds like a good time!

If we are talking a whole day, I think I could do it. I have no idea what that would do to my stomach, but I think I could get it down.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Drinking your calories will contribute less toward satiety. You might check into some bulking supplement shakes with high calories. They're geared toward exactly what you're doing, so they pack a lot of calories in a small volume.