Opinion: why do men feel the need to offer advice to me in the weight room?

Options
The gym I go to is just one giant warehouse type room with designated areas. It's somewhat intimidating to be the only female in the weight "area". I am by no means an expert but have been lifting for almost a year now and pretty much like to do my own thing, mind my own business, get in and get out. Almost every time I lift weights some of the men feel they need to watch me and then offer advice or suggestions. Why is this? I don't offer suggestions to them or watch them intently while they do bench work. So why do they stand over me while I do skull crushers. Do you think they are genuinely trying to be helpful or is it more patronizing? Is it best to just smile and say thank you? I find it annoying when they interrupt me. Just wondering how others feel about this.

Replies

• TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Well, they may be turned on by a woman lifting weights. They may offer advice because they do not know what else to use to start a conversation. Either way, they are interested in you.
  • harakiri01
    harakiri01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just smile, say thanks and get back to it. They're going to continue watching or offering "advise" regardless. It's when I get comments like "You shouldn't be lifting that heavy" that I get pissed off.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sit on the fence here.

Do you go to a gym where lifting is prioritised? Are the men offering help completing sensible programmes? If so I'm going to be more inclined to listen to them - but only if they understand my goals and how to get there.

Is your gym full of curl bros (like mine)? I find they are equally well meaning (and 99.999999% of the time leave me well alone - and when they don't it's because they are using something they want) - but when they don't, they have no idea how to help me meet my goals (strength and weightloss - not the bulking they so desperately want). So I would largely ignore them. The only exception would be if they thought I was doing something dangerous. Then I would ask a trainer whether they we're right or not.

TL:DR - most of the people at my gym know b****r all about how to achieve their goals. They know even less about mine. Ignore them - unless they are telling you that you are risking your own health / safety. Then check it out.
  • krisn90210
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Well, they may be turned on by a woman lifting weights. They may offer advice because they do not know what else to use to start a conversation. Either way, they are interested in you.

I was going to say, maybe they are hitting on you? :wink:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    In all likelihood, they're trying to hit on you and don't know how else to start a conversation. Or, that's just the atmosphere in that particular gym -- in some gyms, people just tend to talk to each other. Either way, unless they're objectively being rude, just smile and say thanks. Some day, you may need someone to spot you, and it's easier to ask someone you've spoken to on occasion than it is to ask a stranger.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It is SO patronising, it drives me bananas! There is a bit in this video link where the reverse happens which I found funny (rest of video is a bit offensive and perhaps why strange men feel the need to 'help' us in the gym!)

http://news.yahoo.com/video/flip-side-workout-000000175.html
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think they call that a lunk alert at Planet Fitness...LOL
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If your weight room is starting to feel like this woman's experience walking around Manhattan, then it's probably time to speak to someone in charge -- or to switch gyms. That kind of behaviour is *not* okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

Devil's advocate: If, on the other hand, they're all telling you the same piece of useful advice, then maybe consider checking your form with a trainer? There could be something to it.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Or, here's another thought...if it really bothers you, tell the person. I'd try that before investing the time and money to switch gyms.
  • fatboyliz
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    If your weight room is starting to feel like this woman's experience walking around Manhattan, then it's probably time to speak to someone in charge -- or to switch gyms. That kind of behaviour is *not* okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

Devil's advocate: If, on the other hand, they're all telling you the same piece of useful advice, then maybe consider checking your form with a trainer? There could be something to it.

I agree - it is invasive behaviour. Our gym gives people yellow cards if they interfere with other peoples workouts - it is dangerous if you aren't a qualified instructor to be handing out advice, we had an incident where a girl really hurt herself because a random man was faffing about with her weights.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Seriously??? A girl/woman in the weight room/section will only be spoken to if she is being hit on??? Bollocks to that! That is just as insulting as the beliefs held by many that women shouldn't be there isn't the first place.

It's no wonder so many women are scared of lifting - first we have to get over the hurdle of entering the testosterone pit that is the free weight section. But when we do apparently we are viewed as easy game and open to be hit on by all and sundry!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Make "help me I'm a helpless useless woman" appointments.
    For the next two weeks everytime a guy offers to help you in a way that is not spotting and immediately useful tell him your in a big rush today but next friday you have a bigger time slot to workout and can you guys talk then?

1) if you truly do know what you are doing this gives them several workouts to observe you in your natural habitat and conclude you don't actually need help and are indeed a badass and not show up on Friday.

2) if they observe things they truly think you need help on... ALL OF THEM will be standing around you on Friday ready to offer their advice IN FRONT of one another and so they will have to choose their words wisely, really beleive in what they are saying, edit themselves due to time constraints, choose only their best ideas...and of course naturally some will disagree. When they begin to disagree you slink out of the gym during any heated part of the discussion and the next time you see them they will be so butt sore from you ditching them and all the "Drama" you created that they will be more inclined to ignore you.

• raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You would have to agree that a woman in the weight area is not as common as a man in the weight area. Rightly or wrongly, most men feel protective towards women and will feel some motivation to assist if they think the lady is in some way disadavntaged such as being in an unfamiliar environment. This comes from thousands of years of social conditioning and is not going to go away overnight because some pressure group declares it to be contemporaneously invalid.

I know that if I offered you any unsolicited advice it would be a clumsy attempt to offer encouragement or an attempt to correct something that will improve your experience or perhaps prevent a possible injury. I certainly would not be trying to hit on you. I think that most men would be in the "trying to be helpful" category. Most of us are good guys - really!

At the same time, there may be some men who are trying to hit on you. I am sure that you are mature enough to tell the difference - adjust your response to suit.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Its in the nature of men to fix things and/or compare penis sizes. Ignore if you feel you are using proper form since you have only a year under your weight lifting belt.

Men watching you is nothing new just as women watching men in my gym, it happens. Just deal with it in way that you see fit.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    if it's the same people over and over again just ask them to leave you alone.

Or you can say, "I got it thanks"

Unless they are being super creepy or rude there is no reason to anything further, provided they are leaving you alone after you ask.

OR you can get this shirt.

5wyb6mkl1x8m.jpg
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    All I ever get is a smile of recognition, or one of those chin lifts people do to acknowledge they saw each other.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    One word: earbuds. I generally find that earbuds prohibit unsolicited advice in the weight room. Men will be much less inclined to speak to you if you likely can't hear them. I also make a point to avoid eye contact with anyone other than the regulars who I can trust to leave me the heck alone while I do my thing.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Or if you feel okay doing so, wear ear buds and listen to music. And just don't make eye contact.

I must look mean because very few people try to talk to me.....
  • fatboyliz
    Options
    I had a guy tell me I was cycling 'wrong' last week. He then changed my programme from 'stamina' to 'fat loss'. Was pretty upset about that!

Haven't had any problems in the big weights room, but I tend to go to my uni's athlete class rather than just going by myself (I want to learn techniques properly), so it is just 12 of us with two instructors :) it is mainly boys in the class though, weights do seem to make women wary - maybe because of the myth that they make you get super bulky?
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    "Buzz off!". Say it a few times. They'll get the message. It's a mole hill, not a mountain.