Opinion: why do men feel the need to offer advice to me in the weight room?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Or, when the guys try to offer advice that you don't want to take, you could just pleasantly say, "Thanks for trying to help, but I'm following the advice of my trainer (or following X weight program). I just need to give it my full attention and effort (put earbuds back in)."

That'll let them know that you clearly don't want to be interrupted in a nice way - in case they were just being friendly. If they interrupt you again and you aren't about to hurt yourself doing something dumb ... then get pissed. And consider that chat with management.
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    but unless she tells each and every one of the guys, hey leave me alone, they aren't going to know that it's unwanted attention.

It sounds like they are genuinely trying to be nice, not a creep.

It's possible, yeah. But from what she described -- just going about her business in a weight room, showing no signs of wanting the attention, being talked to repeatedly even when she ignores them the first time -- it sounds very much like behaviour that crosses the line.

Really, a good gym should foster a better environment than that.

I get you, and I agree. Especially considering after her last comment she is wearing earbuds, she didn't feel threatened or anything so, I don't think it was anything other than being nice.

I'm really digging this movement that has women sticking up for themselves. Saying to no cat calling and what not, i've been doing that kind of stuff since I was a kid myself...but it does make me think a little bit more...

one has to wonder though, we are putting all these restrictions on men to not talk to us,
    don't look at her, don't smile at her, don't say hi to her, be friendly, but not OVERLY friendly... i'm starting to really feel bad for the nice guys that are just interested in a girl. I mean...If you're single, and ya, you're going to the gym to work out, not necessarily pick up on a man or woman, but if you're single and into fitness the gym is sort of the perfect place to find a like minded person...but if you can't even talk to someone without the fear of people calling you a jerk for saying hi or trying to help you on your form? I mean.... I don't know, it's a fine line....and it's hard for me to explain, and i'm sure i'm going to get flamed here. Obviously if someone is showing signs of not being interested they should be left alone, but you don't necessarily always know that someone isn't interested until you try.

I agree! Its a fine line! Some guys are just thick headed and hope that they can wear a girl down! Others are just trying to be helpful. Its hard to know when to draw the line. Some people just are not good at reading body language and other social cues so the guys don't realize that she doesn't want their help or attention. She may just have to put it in plain language. I often smile when Im uncomfortable or being approached or talked to by a stranger and a lot of men confuse this with flirting when really Im just nervous and trying not to be rude!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have to say...There are a few guys I used to ignore and shy away from, but when I finally opened up and said hello, I found they were so nice and helpful. I'm actually happy to have some people on my side down there. I did need help today ha
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Its in the nature of men to fix things and/or compare penis sizes. Ignore if you feel you are using proper form since you have only a year under your weight lifting belt.

Men watching you is nothing new just as women watching men in my gym, it happens. Just deal with it in way that you see fit.

I wanna change my answer. When they wanna "fix" you tell them they have to do the other activity instead. The other one that's in their nature.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have given advice to a woman once, and only once in the gym, since June. She saw me deadlifting 315 for reps. She wanted my thoughts on deadlifting, and what she could do. I felt a little funny giving advice... but *kitten*. Whatevs.

Just walking up to some rando chick and giving advice? No. Way. Even if she's going to hurt herself. I've seen enough, "OMG creepster!" threads on MFP.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    She wanted my thoughts

Keywords right there.
  • dbmata
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    She wanted my thoughts

Keywords right there.

Honestly, I was remiss in providing them. Too much liability.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I want one that reads squats for jesus, and has a low rider on the back.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I only give advice when asked. A girl asked me if she was doing the tricep machine correct. She claim it was easy so I said yeah upp that weight some till it got difficult.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I get "corrected" all the time in my gym on my squat form...

"Hold the bar higher and you won't lean as far forward" ...I squat Low bar..
    "Look up" ...Um, No...
    "You might want to try using gloves for those deadlifts" ...Thanks bro, but I don't mind calluses and gloves ruin my grip strength...
    "You should try with your feet a bit further out" ...Why? I'm slightly wider than shoulder, go just below parallel, and track over my feet...

I spoke with a friend about it who goes to the same gym. She never gets corrected so I had her check my form and posted in a few forums. The feedback? Mostly positive, though one guy told me I was breaking at the hips too much and another said when I get tired I tend to good-morning it.. We decided I look more approachable because I tend to bounce and dance between sets and she has a RBF on and leans on the bar in the rack.
  • dbmata
    Options
    The gym, where looking antisocial is a badge of honor. lol.
  • BerttiBott
    BerttiBott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This makes me so angry. I see men using machines backwards and doing incorrect, potentially harmful lifts with no one batting an eye, but if I even shorten my range of motion slightly on my last rep due to fatigue the whole gym will descend on me with their criticism.
  • dbmata
    Options
    BerttiBott wrote: »
    This makes me so angry. I see men using machines backwards and doing incorrect, potentially harmful lifts with no one batting an eye, but if I even shorten my range of motion slightly on my last rep due to fatigue the whole gym will descend on me with their criticism.

Vids or it didn't happen.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Your lifts must be impressive if the whole gym stops to watch you!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Gosh darnnit it, you men need to stop trying to be helpful. We know you all have an ulterior motive....we know you can't just be a decent bloke. :p pwthhhh.
  • dbmata
    Options

Your lifts must be impressive if the whole gym stops to watch you!

Seriously. I want to lift like that. I lift in a gym where most dudes are pulling a three plate bench, so that means I'll need a 4 plate. Ruh roh.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    *puts on rain coat in preparation for barrage of rotten tomatoes*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansplaining
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Stop setting up your yoga mat in the power rack and everyone will leave you alone.