20 year old girl wanting to gain muscle, need advice!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Perpalicious
    Perpalicious Posts: 21
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Oh yes thank god you're here faceless member, to teach us all since we obviously know nothing.

So you promise you're packing and going?

TIL: Pictures = knowledge

Keep on digging.

You're really going to deny that people in this thread know very little? Sara is probably the only one to give any solid advice.

Your posts are either useless one-liners, or they're directed at insulting people. I've clearly insulted you in some way, my apologies.

[quote="dbmata;Oh man, it must be nice being so perfect.

Is the weather different up there on your pedestal?

Read the thread, and then try to come up with an informed concept. Googling muscles used in an exercise is neither informed in this context, or a valuable contribution.
    [/quote]

Re-read my posts, they're filled with edits.

Are you attempting to state that an EMG means nothing? I really am learning a lot from these forums. It's as if BB.com's Misc came here and declared themselves the superpower.

Also, you realize that Google is a search-engine, correct? You search for articles. I guess if you can Google it that it has no merit. Rest in peace, research.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    FWIW - deads work upper back (ever get sore lats after a heavy session?). However, lifts that hit more upper back muscles more directly (rhomboids, rear delts , etc) would be a good add (e.g. rows).
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Oh yes thank god you're here faceless member, to teach us all since we obviously know nothing.

So you promise you're packing and going?

TIL: Pictures = knowledge

Keep on digging.

You're really going to deny that people in this thread know very little? Sara is probably the only one to give any solid advice.

Your posts are either useless one-liners, or they're directed at insulting people. I've clearly insulted you in some way, my apologies.

Not even worth it to address some that just answer a post with a question.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

P.S. I laughed when someone said DLs don't work the upper-back. Someone clearly isn't locking out.

I don't think at any point anyone said they DON"T work upper back- I think we have confirmed DL's DO qualify as back work.

But it's not enough.

Seems to be a number of women who have solid 200 plus DL's and can't do pull ups.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

P.S. I laughed when someone said DLs don't work the upper-back. Someone clearly isn't locking out.

I don't think at any point anyone said they DON"T work upper back- I think we have confirmed DL's DO qualify as back work.

But it's not enough.

Seems to be a number of women who have solid 200 plus DL's and can't do pull ups.

That's basically what I summarized before. Thanks. When I get to the upper limits of my deads, my entire back is worked. But I still do other back specific exercises
  • JoRocka
    Options

But it's not enough.

That's basically what I summarized before. Thanks. When I get to the upper limits of my deads, my entire back is worked. But I still do other back specific exercises

Indeedey.

What's interesting to me- and I didn't realize this till a few years ago- how many people put DL on back day. Because when I'm doing splits- and for the longest time this is just the way it was for me- I had 2 leg days- one was squat heavy- one was DL heavy.

Then a chest arms day and then a back and shoulders day. I never even considered putting DL on back day- to much back work to do to burn out with deads first- deads were their own "day" with a few lower glute and hammy accessories.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    When I split deads off of my normal leg day, I put them onto their own day and just put some other odd accessory work like triceps on that day. Basically their own day
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Two things:

One, eat more. Obviously you're eating at maintenance or you'd be gaining. Try to up the calls by 200/week until you start gaining at an appropriate level.

Two, I'd look into a better lifting plan. By reading the description it looks like you're missing out on whole muscle groups? This isn't the time to wing it though, finding a balanced lifting plan is important because it's really easy to forget certain muscles (especially ones we can't see).
    what muscle group am I missing?

What day do you do back?

Technically dead work the back but yes, she doesn't seem to dedicate a specific day to other back exercises besides deads.
    Two things:

One, eat more. Obviously you're eating at maintenance or you'd be gaining. Try to up the calls by 200/week until you start gaining at an appropriate level.

Two, I'd look into a better lifting plan. By reading the description it looks like you're missing out on whole muscle groups? This isn't the time to wing it though, finding a balanced lifting plan is important because it's really easy to forget certain muscles (especially ones we can't see).

What day do you do back?

Technically dead work the back but yes, she doesn't seem to dedicate a specific day to other back exercises besides deads.

Yeah, but deads are only lower back. I'm thinking middle back and lats, specifically. I don't see a day that would incorporate either unless she does rows as a pull on chest day and pull ups a pull on shoulders.

No, the specific primary muscles used in a deadlift are the erector spinae, gluteus maximus, quadriceps, hamstring complex and adductors. The secondary or stabilizing muscles used are the trapezius, rhomboids, flexors, extensors, serratus anterior, rectus abdominus, transverse abdominus, gluteus medius/minimus, soleus and the gastrocnemius.

Technically.

good job confirming that the OP needs more back work.

I legit lol'd at this :laugh:

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Alright, I'm going to lay this out and make it extremely basic. A lot of the stuff being said in this thread is mind numbing. You don't really need to increase your protein intake as nothing really changes after .82g/lb. 1g/lb is basically just a safety net everybody follows because some dude said it. Falling below or going above really isn't a big deal as long as you're not halving it.

Next, please don't follow percentages for macros. You can pretty much hit your protein and then fill with the rest. Don't starve yourself of fat, it's silly. Increase your calories by 200ish and assess over a 2-3 week period. Remember, there are plenty of reasons your weight may not be changing. For the sake of consistency, try to weigh yourself under the same circumstances on the same day (every Wednesday when you've woken up and used the washroom). If you're extremely active, then 2000 is nothing. I knew a girl who would maintain on 2500 (she's a Nurse).

Quick question, do you WEIGH everything you eat? You could be missing out on a significant amount of calories. Counting is a tedious, tedious task. Weigh everything and only then can you be sure of how much you're consuming.

As for the routine, I'm assuming you're a novice? I wouldn't suggest a split. Do a beginner's routine (like a few people have suggested). I'm quite fond of 5/3/1 and my S/O progressed on it very well. If you're hurting for time, there's a 3-day 5/3/1 program. 5x5 is also a solid program. Lyle McDonald's General Bulking Routine is also a good routine. With 5/3/1 you need to keep in mind that you add the accessory work yourself. You don't have to have a set plan every day. Sometimes it's better to back off if you're not feeling your best. Auto-regulation is huge when it comes to lifting.

Not sure what this argument about volume is about (not about to read 4 pages of this nonsense). Volume = Hypertrophy. I'm not going to go hardcore into it because I really don't see the point. You can make some serious gains (size) on 5 reppers if you just get some volume in. With that said, going overboard and doing 500000000000000 reps per week on each muscle group is pointless.

TL;DR: Moderation.

EDIT: Did I just read 75 reps isn't enough? Wat
    How did you come to the conclusion that the things being said are mind numbing if you admitted you didn't even read the thread at all?

You think none of what you said has already been said?

I believe I recommended 5/3/1 but I guess unless it's this person recommending it, or Sara, it's just not worth it.

Except Sara's explanations took up a good chunk of the pages he's calling mind numbing and not worth it...so...

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif
  • JoRocka
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Two things:

What day do you do back?

Two things:

What day do you do back?

Yeah, but deads are only lower back. I'm thinking middle back and lats, specifically. I don't see a day that would incorporate either unless she does rows as a pull on chest day and pull ups a pull on shoulders.

No, the specific primary muscles used in a deadlift are the erector spinae, gluteus maximus, quadriceps, hamstring complex and adductors. The secondary or stabilizing muscles used are the trapezius, rhomboids, flexors, extensors, serratus anterior, rectus abdominus, transverse abdominus, gluteus medius/minimus, soleus and the gastrocnemius.

Technically.

good job confirming that the OP needs more back work.

I legit lol'd at this :laugh:

it's been that kind of day LOL rainy here- so the needs for the lulz is strong.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    When I split deads off of my normal leg day, I put them onto their own day and just put some other odd accessory work like triceps on that day. Basically their own day

I'll basically roll with that. I'll hit some light squats for warmups, break out the trap bar to warm up a little more, and then load the barbell to deadlift, or pin pull, etc. Then I finish out with some accessory for glutes, hams, maybe some core if i'm not totally dead.

If I did deads when I do my upper body stuff, I'd never get any upper body work of value done. I'd be too tired.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I did pull ups and Deads as a super set once when I was training with someone else.

L.O.L.

talk about effective burn out.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I came across this yesterday I think:

Allpro Beginner's Routine
  • jaimesparkman
    jaimesparkman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Op: How long have you been lifting?

Re the routine, ^^this is the question that needs to be answered before recommending a program.
    i have been lifting consistently for about 1.5 years :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I came across this yesterday I think:

Allpro Beginner's Routine

That spreadsheet makes AllPro make waaaaay more sense.
    I looked it before and was kind of confused with the progression and every.
    I went with ICF 5x5 instead
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Easy fix. Do all sets at "max" weight, eg: failure on last rep of each set.

Monday: 10 sets of 5 squats
    Tuesday: 10 sets of 5 barbell rows
    Wednesday: 10 sets of 5 bench press
    Thursday: 10 sets of 5 deadlifts
    Friday: 10 sets of 5 shoulder press

Eat 2 lbs of raw beef and 12 raw eggs every morning.

Have a 1/2 cup of olive oil before bed.

Don't forget the testosterone propionate injections.

Yes. I'm kidding.

Seriously, some good advice here - powerlifting, eat more, etc. Realize that it's tough for women to build muscle since most don't produce much testosterone.